Humoring the Internet

Ragsnstitches

New member
Dec 2, 2009
1,871
0
0
I got Persona 3 FES on the PSN last week. I really like it. Never played a Persona game before but I have played a Shin Megami Tensei game, Nocturne (named Lucifers Call here in Europe) and loved it.

The games just didn't appear in any of my local game stores so I never tried them, in fact most of Atlus' Catalogue never really appeared locally, I got Nocturne in England.

Haven't completed it. I just got Dark Souls 2 and that is sapping my attention for now, but I really do enjoy it. It was nice to see some familiar monsters from Nocturne and I'm enjoying the Social Link mechanic. I'm a little put off by the Dungeon Crawl though. Navigating the Dungeons is a chore and it just feels like it was pooly thought out (randomly generated dungeons with few enviromental variations for 20~ floors, then it changes for another 20 something floors). I'm only on the 2nd block, so maybe that changes, but if it doesn't then that is certainly a massive downer.

Still, I'm hooked enough that I'd be willing to get Persona 4 when it comes out on the PSN in europe (North America got it already, so soon hopefully).

So yeah, on a whim I purchased this game, the impulse was mostly due to people talking about it. Not necessarily telling me to get it, just talking about it.
 

Tsukuyomi

New member
May 28, 2011
308
0
0
In recent memory? I tried MLP:FiM and Attack on Titan. The former I didn't mind. The balance of multi-level humor to kid-friendly humor was just not one that mixed with me consistently: some times it was enough, sometimes I wanted a bit more to help fill out an episode where the story was lacking.

Attack on Titan...I tried, folks. I did. I got seven episodes into it and it's not even that I was angry, I was just disappointed and just...it didn't grab me.

On the flip side to that I started FMA: Brotherhood recently after seeing raving reviews on it. I only ever got a few episodes into the original series but this one I feel like I may very well stick with. I rather like the way it dealt with backstory in the first two episodes. Although I will say that if I didn't know bits and pieces about characters and events already, it'd still be really confusing, but still.
 

Tiger King

Regular Member
Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
837
0
11
Country
USA
Breaking bad.
the massive hype around it put me off for some strange reason, not sure why I guess I have a natural distrust to people that tell me that something is the bestist fing eva!

funny thing is upon giving it a chance I became completely hooked and watched every episode in about a week!

I'm having the same issue with game of thrones, or as I like to call it game of groans.
the hype surrounding the books and series comes across as a bit fanatical and it's putting me off, no doubt I am missing out.
 

Euryalus

New member
Jun 30, 2012
4,429
0
0
Padwolf said:
I watched My Little Pony, I was pleasantly suprised
That's pretty much my humoring story... except I wasn't pleasantly surprised. I watched the first... 3? 4? episodes to give it a chance and it ended up being exactly what I thought it would be. A competantly made show targeted at, and primarily appealing to, younger girls.

I just didn't like it... or actively dislike it. It just was something that was on.

I can kind of see why people like it? But for the most part I have no idea why the demographic broadended so much.

I did get a chuckle out of when they first introduced the yellow and pink one (Fluttershy I think). Shy bordering on an anxiety disorder is something I've seen xD
 

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
48,837
0
0
Baccano! was something I was introduced to via an Escapist friend. Sometimes I 'humor' the internet but the internet can chase me away just as fast.
 

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
8,977
0
0
I started watching Archer. It's okay but it's really not as funny as everyone was making it out to be. I'm entertained by it but I'm really not laughing that much.
 

DkLnBr

New member
Apr 2, 2009
490
0
0
I humoured the internet a lot more than I thought I did, now that I sat down and did a count. It was because of the internet that I watched Attack on Titan, Bravest Warriors, Adventure Time, Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls and My Little Pony, but those seem to be some common answers. On top of that I've also considered watching The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones

T0ad 0f Truth said:
I can kind of see why people like it? But for the most part I have no idea why the demographic broadended so much.
Ya, I was surprised at how wide the demographic is for MLP:FIM, it seems that you can find a brony in every walk of life. I think its because people are getting sick of the mature[sup]*[/sup] tv, games and movies now a days and want something bright, colourful, and happy

[sup]*[/sup]mature= dark, brooding, angsty, and a depressing grey/brown colour
 

Chessrook44

Senior Member
Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
558
1
23
Country
United States
Technically it was more humoring a friend than the internet, but I gave a watch to a MLP episode.

My opinion on it was the same as my opinion of Firefly. It's not terrible, but I'm not interested enough to keep watching.
 

Euryalus

New member
Jun 30, 2012
4,429
0
0
DkLnBr said:
I humoured the internet a lot more than I thought I did, now that I sat down and did a count. It was because of the internet that I watched Attack on Titan, Bravest Warriors, Adventure Time, Phineas and Ferb, Gravity Falls and My Little Pony, but those seem to be some common answers. On top of that I've also considered watching The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones

T0ad 0f Truth said:
I can kind of see why people like it? But for the most part I have no idea why the demographic broadended so much.
Ya, I was surprised at how wide the demographic is for MLP:FIM, it seems that you can find a brony in every walk of life. I think its because people are getting sick of the mature[sup]*[/sup] tv, games and movies now a days and want something bright, colourful, and happy

[sup]*[/sup]mature= dark, brooding, angsty, and a depressing grey/brown colour
Maybe its because I grew up with darker less happy bright things as my childhood favorites *points to Avatar* but I'm still confused as to why the desire for it found gratification in a cartoon aimed at a young female audience.

I would have expected more shows to become popular if anti-darkness were the motive, but the only other thing I see on par with the popularity/theme of MLP is Adventure time (and that's even kinda dark). The other popular things I hear about are The walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones etc.
 

Pink Gregory

New member
Jul 30, 2008
2,296
0
0
As much as hype is often completely justified, listening to it will only reverse endear you to the thing in question.

I mean, praise at it's basest level is kinda by it's nature hyperbolic, so expecting something to live up to hyperbole - especially that encountered on the internet - is...well, not advisable.
 

Darren716

New member
Jul 7, 2011
784
0
0
MLP- Heard about it for a few months, decided to watch the entire first season and began watching the new episodes around the beginning of season 2

Attack on Titan- The Super Best Friends wouldn't stop talking about it on their podcast and also I had a good amount of friends who were wanting me to watch it so I watched the entire season in about a week.

Kill La Kill- Pretty much the same as AoT, only difference is that I haven't finished it yet despite starting watching about two months ago, need to watch the last five episodes sometime.
 

l0ckd0wn

New member
Jul 17, 2012
115
0
0
Ubiquitous Duck said:
nesbitto said:
House of Cards.

The first episode is kind of slow, but it really starts to kick-in in episode two. I binged watched the rest of season one, starting season two now. Kevin Spacey is amazing.
I tried this after repeated recommendations and actually ended up watching more than I would've, if it had been my choice by myself, but I have to say that I don't get the hype around this one at all.

The mood of it is trying to be overly serious all the time and I genuinely have no idea why most of the time.

It also just seems like they love the fact they got Kevin Spacey too much, as it just spends so much time with him and he even talks directly at you to explain things - although I'm still left lost.

I just found it boring. Felt like some sort of faux-drama, where they were trying to make you feel tension all the time and that everything was so big and dramatic and yet I cared about none of it.

Tried about 3-4 episodes and have no drive to return to it.
How old are you? Not trying to criticize, but I just tend to notice that younger adults in the middle-high school age really don't understand or appreciate political dramas as much as those who've had some political science courses or follow state/national politics. If you are college aged, I'd wait a few more years and try again.

For those of you that like 'House of Cards' I'd also like to recommend the original from the BBC. It's a 3 season-ish serial that is basically the UK version of what Netflix did, albeit like 20 years earlier. It also gives some insight into the new series and why certain things were done the way they were.

Dead Century said:
Game of Thrones. After a few episodes I decided, nope. It is terrible. I'll stick with the books. Oh and Doctor Who. Fuck Doctor Who.
:-O

Haven't read the books, but my GF has and has no qualms, I'll probably read them eventually.

How can you not like Dr. Who? I'm flabbergasted, and do slightly hope that you are visited by some Weeping Angels...
 

dyre

New member
Mar 30, 2011
2,178
0
0
I intended to humor the internet and watch MLP, but for some reason I never got around to it and eventually the online craze died down (as did my interest of checking out the show).

Zhukov said:
I made an ernest and extended attempt to get into anime.

It did not work.

It has its moments, but the narrative and visual tropes associated with it just irritate me something fierce. Also, I cannot help but conclude that, contrary to the assertions of its fans, anime is made almost entirely for children, just from a culture that has a different idea of what 'made for children' entails.
I only got into anime (and only to a minor degree) after my third attempt, so, twice more unto the breach, dear friend, or close up the wall with wasted effort...

Overall it's a mostly childish genre with a few mature gems, with a viewerbase that often seems to have alarmingly low standards, judging by their propensity to recommend everything. There are however definitely some standout shows, though I won't bother you with suggestions as I don't like anime quite enough to proselytize for it.
 

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
2,065
0
41
Well, off my immediate memory:

Attack On Titan
Breaking Bad
Cowboy Bebop
My Little Pony
Persona
Most of the comics that I'm reading

All of these except Persona we're less humoring and more convinced by the internet, because I stuck with all these things except Persona.
 

RyQ_TMC

New member
Apr 24, 2009
1,002
0
0
I had something of a double-humouring with Game of Thrones, with different results.

First, I wanted to come back to fantasy (I'm mostly a science fiction guy) and, after a few months of everyone telling me how ASOIAF is the best thing since sliced bread, I caved in and started the books. I liked them, read all of them so far (but I admit I feel a bit fatigued by now. The series feels more and more cliched and predictable with every chapter). Being a Middle Ages buff, the excessive crappiness of the world is a little bit off-putting to me, but the characters keep me in.

When I was about halfway through Clash of Kings they announced the TV series. At first I had little interest in it (the hassle of finding a way to watch it would outweigh potential benefits), but once it started and the entire Internet started masturbating to it, I decided to give it a go. I think I got as far as the start of season 2, but I just can't get into it. I think it's because HBO apparently decided that the most important thing to take from ASOIAF is the concept of "maturity" as imagined by a ten year old.

I also had a run-in with Firefly - I binge-watched it, decided it was the best thing ever, then tried to rewatch it several times, but somehow never managed to go beyond around 8 episodes. I think it was the "space western" feel that made it for me, but as the novelty wore off, it just lost its appeal.

I think a big problem with "humouring the Internet" is that the praise for various games, movies or TV series is often so excessive that when you get around to trying it out, you expect the Second Coming. I'm far from being a hipster - some of the things I really love have been hyped to Jupiter and back, and have millions of fans - but stuff I enjoy most is usually something I get into on the strength of a single recommendation, or familiarity with the creator.
 

nuttshell

New member
Aug 11, 2013
201
0
0
DaWaffledude said:
I bought Deus Ex a week or two ago. It's... It's alright. I do like it, it reminds me a bit of Mass Effect. The combat is really clunky though, and I had to download an autosave mod, because the game doesn't do that by itself.
...

OT: I take a look at pretty much everything, when I see even a hint of recommendation on it but I really took my time with WoW. When a friend of mine just wouldn't let it go, I tried it with him and we had a blast.
 

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
2,384
16
13
KissingSunlight said:
Any heterosexual males who are big fans of the show have serious mental/emotional problems.
Wait, what the hell has sexual orientation got to do with it?
 

Ubiquitous Duck

New member
Jan 16, 2014
472
0
0
l0ckd0wn said:
Ubiquitous Duck said:
nesbitto said:
House of Cards.

The first episode is kind of slow, but it really starts to kick-in in episode two. I binged watched the rest of season one, starting season two now. Kevin Spacey is amazing.
I tried this after repeated recommendations and actually ended up watching more than I would've, if it had been my choice by myself, but I have to say that I don't get the hype around this one at all.

The mood of it is trying to be overly serious all the time and I genuinely have no idea why most of the time.

It also just seems like they love the fact they got Kevin Spacey too much, as it just spends so much time with him and he even talks directly at you to explain things - although I'm still left lost.

I just found it boring. Felt like some sort of faux-drama, where they were trying to make you feel tension all the time and that everything was so big and dramatic and yet I cared about none of it.

Tried about 3-4 episodes and have no drive to return to it.
How old are you? Not trying to criticize, but I just tend to notice that younger adults in the middle-high school age really don't understand or appreciate political dramas as much as those who've had some political science courses or follow state/national politics. If you are college aged, I'd wait a few more years and try again.

For those of you that like 'House of Cards' I'd also like to recommend the original from the BBC. It's a 3 season-ish serial that is basically the UK version of what Netflix did, albeit like 20 years earlier. It also gives some insight into the new series and why certain things were done the way they were.
To be honest, I'm both old enough and very much involved in political discussions, news etc. I'm in my 20s and did related studies at university and had an active private interest too.

I just don't find the show interesting at all. Perhaps I am out of touch with USA politics, as I'm from the UK, but I understand the workings of it well enough.

I just find the show really over the top and forced. It feels like it is trying to be dramatic all the time and it just doesn't work for me. It also comes across as really arrogant and pretentious, almost assuming that you should think of it as so dramatic, whereas they haven't really built any tension and I don't see why EVERY scene should be considered so massive.

That's why I call it 'faux-drama', because it thinks it is dramatic, but I don't see them communicating that well in the show.

I thought I'd love it because 'Kevin Spacey', but no, no, nope, nope... not for me.

l0ckd0wn said:
Dead Century said:
Game of Thrones. After a few episodes I decided, nope. It is terrible. I'll stick with the books. Oh and Doctor Who. Fuck Doctor Who.
:-O

Haven't read the books, but my GF has and has no qualms, I'll probably read them eventually.

How can you not like Dr. Who? I'm flabbergasted, and do slightly hope that you are visited by some Weeping Angels...
I have to say that I agree with the viewpoint on Doctor Who as well.

I've tried more than once, because my mother is a massive fan, to let it into my life, but I just cannot stand that show. My main problem with it is it just comes across as so juvenile and I have no interest in that kind of show. I guess it is so that it will be family-friendly, but for me it just ends up being childish. Every episode I've ended up predicting what is going to happen, before it happens and then it just plays out in front of me. And I'm not the kind of person who does that with shows, I've really only felt that with Doctor Who.

I wouldn't say 'f*** Doctor Who', as above, but I do not like it at all.

I will stick with Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead as the only two TV shows I watch. And I'll watch the 2nd series of True Detective, if it returns at any point soon and looks promising.
 

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
2,277
312
88
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Gender
Male
I'll add on to the multitude with MLP. Not bad, I only watched 6 or so a year ago, but it was fun and happy and light-hearted and those are things I really don't get enough of. Well, I had only seen 6 until...

Magica Madoka. Someone here threw it on one of the multitude of "recommend anime" threads and it sounded interesting despite being billed by blurb and boxart as so much Sailor Moon. So I started watching it. There were sequences in the first couple of episodes that weren't quite "disturbing" but were easily "disquieting." And then I watched ep 3... Sailor Moon just took a turn on Dark Street and is currently at the intersection of Highlander and In the Mountians of Madness. After the fallout in episode 4 I actually went and tuned up an episode of MLP. Something I hadn't really even thought of watching for over a year. I just needed the lightness of tone and optimism, Magica Madoka had just drained all the happiness out of me. And it did so a few more times (had to watch a few more MLP episodes and tossed in a Tenchi Muyo drip as well.) But yeah, Magica Madoka is powerful stuff. And in a good way, even if it leaves you feeling empty inside. Something that can elicit that much of a response (wether plesant or not) is significant and powerful and worth watching.