Humorous banned words

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Quantum Star said:
Worgen said:
In monster hunter tri, the word "behind" is banned, it just doesn't show up in text, which makes for some confusing tactics when you cant tell anyone to "get behind the monster to cut off its tail"

Apparently "behind" is German slang for something and that is why its banned.
And here I thought "behind" meant someone's ass or rear end, but what do I know?
It can but I think its the equivalent of the word fuck or something in German.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Black ops doesn't let me tsunami for thee name of my own private little class lol

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
Well, at school once while writing an essay I was quoting the book "The Road" and it contained the word "Shotgun".

It set off the schools capture systems so some guy in the system got several screenshots of my essay.
Nothing happened from it. Just a bit weird.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
It's less funny,. but I've always wondered why in the text-chat system of many EA games, the word Jew is filtered, but others like Muslim or Christian aren't filtered. I just don't understand, if you don't want people to be talking about religion in your games, filter all the words, not just one...

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
Worgen said:
Quantum Star said:
Worgen said:
In monster hunter tri, the word "behind" is banned, it just doesn't show up in text, which makes for some confusing tactics when you cant tell anyone to "get behind the monster to cut off its tail"

And here I thought "behind" meant someone's ass or rear end, but what do I know?
The game's in English and Capcom is worried about people using German profanity when the same word has a perfectly viable use in English? whatisthisIdonteven.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
My friend once told me about a forum a couple of years ago where if you used "Good Charlotte" and "rocks" in the same sentence, it was an instant ban. I laughed.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Necromancer Jim said:
I abused my Moderator power on a forum once.

I censored "The" and replaced it with "kittens".

Needless to say, confusion ensued and I soon lost my moderator priveleges.
I like you, you've got balls... I like balls.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Necromancer Jim said:

It's great that your avatar is Discord. Just sayin'.

Athol

Sep 15, 2010
GreatTeacherCAW said:
I had a similar problem in Black Ops, as well. I tried to name the class Assault, but it wouldn't let me.
I had the exact same thing happen to me. They block a legitimate word that only I will see when I'm choosing a load out, while in single player profaity abounds...it makes my head hurt.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Princess Molestia said:
I envy you.
Most people do. Most awesome people, anyway.
OriginalLadders said:
I don't understand, what was kittens point of that?

EDIT: My sense of humour utterly sucks.
For kittens and lulz.

And I don't care if you weren't really asking.
Melon Hunter said:
That statement is made even better by your avatar.
retyopy said:
It's great that your avatar is Discord. Just sayin'.
I hope to be Discord when I grow up.
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I like you, you've got balls... I like balls.
Oh. Well... er... I think I left the... couch... on fire...

I gotta go.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
was playing a game, forgot what it was called, but it censored Saturday... well it censored Sa****ay. and one of the spells is called Artitan... which is Ar***an in chat

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Someone once banned God. I don't even know what game it was, or why, or what mental state they were in, but...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Quantum Star said:
Worgen said:
Quantum Star said:
Worgen said:

The game's in English and Capcom is worried about people using German profanity when the same word has a perfectly viable use in English? whatisthisIdonteven.
Chances are they just threw in a list of potentially offensive words and called it a day, like allot of things with word filters, the main difference between monster hunter and most other things is that you couldn't turn it off in monster hunter.

SidingWithTheEnemy

Sep 29, 2011
Necromancer Jim said:

I used my Administrative uberpower on a forum once and I censored the word "kitchen corner" with "outhouse" Since a lot of fuss was going on about some memembers' wives wanting to establish a "kitchen corner" as own underforum it was quite hilarious and I got quite some positive feedback from most of the members.

Needless to say, after the dust has settled I retired being a forum admistrator and focused more on world domination.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
SidingWithTheEnemy said:
I used my Administrative uberpower on a forum once and I censored the word "kitchen corner" with "outhouse" Since a lot of fuss was going on about some memembers' wives wanting to establish a "kitchen corner" as own underforum it was quite hilarious and I got quite some positive feedback from most of the members.

Needless to say, after the dust has settled I retired being a forum admistrator and focused more on world domination.
From administratorizing forums to world domination.

It's only a natural progression.

Dawns Gate

May 2, 2011
I once was talking Battlefield 1942 tactics and I said something about what class to use in a certain area, they blocked the word 'Assault'.
Is it because it has ass in it, what the heck?

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
KingHodor said:
There is a perfectly harmless German 4-letter-word that translates to "thick", "fat" or "big" in English. Unfortunately, its spelling is identical to that of an English slang term for the male genital or an undesirable person, so it very often falls victim to auto-censorship systems.

I won't spell it out here, but you'll probably be able to guess it after watching the following German TV ad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfpJnqXCUY8
It's also a perfectly normal surname, which can appear in big letters on trucks or whatnot. The kids usually get confused, and tourists from more or less English-savvy countries take a lot of photos. Hilarious.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Take a look at the comments section on cracked.com some time. They replace any string of characters that has an offensive connotation with a string of asterisks, but the filter isn't smart enough to tell if it's part of a larger word, so you get some pretty funny edits. The one that sticks out to me is any variation of the word "Japan" will have the first three letters censored, because "Jap" is a world war II era racial slur for the Japanese. I specify World War II era because these days, it has a second meaning as a shorthand way of distinguishing between international versions of media products; for example, Final Fantasy II Jap, as opposed to Final Fantasy II US. Granted, that's been shortened even further to "Final Fantasy II J in recent years, but it was pretty common around the time the real FF2 was first translated and brought to the US.