Hurricane Maria WILL Hit Me This Time.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
EDITED, THIS IS AN UPDATED EDIT OF THE IRMA THREAD REGARDING THE NEW HURRICANE MARIA!

And this time it will it me directly, and its gonna suck:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/855521/Hurricane-Maria-track-path-model-latest-Dominica-Puerto-Rico-Barbuda

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-maria-lesser-antilles-northeast-caribbean-islands

https://www.ventusky.com/

And since its litirally passing on Puerto Rican soil I am now more worried about our island's electrical infestructure than I was for Irma. And of course my deepest condolences to people here that are in the eye's path and their homes will be destroyed, Most of the houses here are made of concrete cement like mine, but there are houses made of wood with sheet metal roofs.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Samtemdo8 said:
I live in Puerto Rico and so far its gonna hit us, all I know from the news is that the area where I live in Puerto Rico will get hit the least but still I fully expect I am gonna be without Eletricity or Internet for a while, I am giving it a month the longest.

I am nervous. And worse its gonna happen in the Night, and I don't think I can sleep through a Hurricane.

So wish me luck guys.
Godspeed

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Good luck. I have...no advice to give, sadly. No experience on the matter, and all my education into natural disasters of the world says to get out of the way or make sure your shelter is strong.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Just follow the old advice:

Fill your tub with water so you can flush the toilet at the very least, and to have something to bathe with. Believe it or not, you can make drinking water by adding bleach [https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/emergency/09_202278-b_make_water_safe_flyer_508.pdf] to questionable water. That's an extreme last resort though, you don't want to catch something that causes vomiting or diarrhea, which only dehydrates you more.

The one thing most people never seem to buy in preparation for a storm is rubbing alcohol. The best I can find locally is 91%, and it makes for cheap stove fuel [http://andrewskurka.com/2011/how-to-make-a-fancy-feast-alcohol-stove/].

And I've never met anyone who slept through a hurricane. Me on the other hand, I've slept through earthquakes, but that's a bit different.

*Edit* Oh right, and try to buy the 91&, it burns just a little bit higher than the 70% rubbing alcohol.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Rubbing alcohol? Hadn't heard that one, but seems a good idea.

My advice is don't panic. When something looks bad, stop and think about it for a moment. Conversely, accept when something looks bad. You need the right balance of acknowledging the problem without being overwhelmed by it, lots of people jump to one extreme or the other and suffer for it.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Make sure to get online and let us know that you're OK when you get a chance. You and I don't agree on much here and that's OK. Most times its even fun, so best of luck to you. I've never been through a hurricane. The idea of storm surge and floodwaters rising so quickly is pretty terrifying to me, and I've been in a forest fire and on a lake when a tornado hit. Stay safe!

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Best wishes. I hope you and your family/whoever's close get through it without losing too much.

Jesus, hurricane season is an utter clusterfuck this year.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Kyrian007 said:
Make sure to get online and let us know that you're OK when you get a chance. You and I don't agree on much here and that's OK. Most times its even fun, so best of luck to you. I've never been through a hurricane. The idea of storm surge and floodwaters rising so quickly is pretty terrifying to me, and I've been in a forest fire and on a lake when a tornado hit. Stay safe!
Still here, right now its the Calm before the Storm. Its fuckin scary. And again where I am its gonna happen at Night, part of me wish I wake up and the Hurricane is already here, because fuck me I am not sleeping through this storm.

People are making this Irma out as worse than Katrina when both are Category 5?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Hooboy. I'd say "stay safe," but sadly that doesn't seem to be an option, so... Stay alive.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Probably because Harvey set records and it was only a Category 4 when it hit. Unsure if Irma is gonna be more dangerous but it never hurts to be careful.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
Been through a few hurricanes myself...but not this powerful.

Good luck to you and yours. Stay safe, man.

And do what Frezzato suggested. Fill the tub and whatever else ya can with fresh water. Hopefully you've got a decent bit of non-perishable food too.

Just hunker down. You'll weather the storm!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Be safe and stay indoors, take every precaution seriously. Been through many storms myself, including Andrew. They're nothing to scoff at even if you're not getting the full brunt, that shit is crazy as hell. I've seen freakin' blades of grass embedded in concrete telephone poles after a hurricane.
So yeah, stay indoors and make sure you've got at least a week's worth of supplies. :(

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Still here, and I still have power, its raining right now, but not that strong nor are the winds, my dad is confident that the area I live is not that much danger compared to the northern areas, the Eye is only just North on the Sea so it won't touch land.

LostGryphon said:
Been through a few hurricanes myself...but not this powerful.

Good luck to you and yours. Stay safe, man.

And do what Frezzato suggested. Fill the tub and whatever else ya can with fresh water. Hopefully you've got a decent bit of non-perishable food too.

Just hunker down. You'll weather the storm!
Can't fill the tubs anymore, and even if I did, I am not bathing in water being touched by that rusty and dirty looking Drain.

Also EDIT: The Rain and Winds are getting a bit stronger.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
Kyrian007 said:
Still here, right now its the Calm before the Storm. Its fuckin scary. And again where I am its gonna happen at Night, part of me wish I wake up and the Hurricane is already here, because fuck me I am not sleeping through this storm.

Good luck man! As others have said, a little bit of preparedness goes a long way. Keep in mind that if you can get a fire going, you can always distill clean water via boiling it off with a bowl or something over the pot to collect it as it runs off. Much better than drinking questionable water, and not nearly as risky as Frezzato's suggestion of adding bleach(it really does work, but you don't want to add too much for obvious reasons, so it's, as they said, a last resort).

I would also suggest doing as much as you can to ensure you keep minimal contact with the water if you get flooded. Outside of the obvious "being soaked 24/7 is unpleasant/unhealthy" what's usually not considered is that the flood water will invariably carry sewage and questionable runoff, which can lead to skin irritation and other health problems. Staying high and dry is a good idea.

If you have any kind of house/renters insurance, be sure to take pictures or video of everything you own, especially the outside of the house like siding and the roof. If you take any damage, that'll make it miles easier to get a claim pushed through in a timely manner.

If you can swing it, stuff like sandbags at the doors can help keep a good deal of water out, and can minimize damage to your property if it's relatively light amount of flooding.

I'd also make sure that any important personal documentation, such as insurance or medical information is either backed up to the internet, or duplicated and stored somewhere safe or on your person so that if you need to use/reference it, it's on hand.

As for your trailing question, the thing is that the Saffir-Simpson scale - the one used to categorize hurricanes - ONLY goes to 5. It's been suggested for a while that there should be a Category 6, and the suggestions I've seen for the windspeed range for that would have Irma as one.

That said, Texas isn't nearly as equipped as, say, Florida, when it comes to dealing with Hurricanes, so Harvey definitely punched above it's weight in terms of impact, but ultimately it's still dangerous, and I dunno how where you lives stacks up to Florida's Prime-Time Hurricane zones in regards to infrastructure to handle the hit.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Good luck, and stay safe.

We all look forward to hearing from you when this all blows over.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Still here, perhaps my parents are being lazily overconfident but they claim nothing too bad will happen in the south west area we live in here in Puerto Rico, And judging from the weather forcast the southwest appears to be not that much in danger compared to the Northeast. Bascially where I am, its gonna be no different than a Tropical Storm that this house has been through, but to people in places like San Juan, Culebra, they are gonna get hit the hardest as a Hurricane.

My house is completely made of Cement, but we have Glass Entrence Doors (Not completely made of Glass mind you) and Glass Windows.