Hype really, really sucks.

aarontg

Aug 10, 2009
I hate hype.

Not that hype can be prevented but I can't help but feel like it ruins games.

Its the same scenario every time: I hear about a game, I get exited, I buy it soon after it comes out, I play it, I beat it.

But I then get bored and I then look at the game and think about the exitement that preceded its release, and I then look at it now, I am now bored of it and I dont really feel up to playing it again.

This has happened to me with a number of titles, like MW2, half life 2, assasins creed 2, and so on. Im not saying that they are bad games I mean hype made them come out not as good as people expected.

So what I'm asking is:

Has their been or what is a game that you feel hype ruined for you?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
A game which hype ruined for me?

Well, I would say MW2, but I knew better than not to buy into that...no, I have to say, while I was still young and impressionable was MW1, the first one.

Sure, it was a good game but I bought far int othe hype on that one and was let down. Learned my lesson since then though!

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Halo 3:ODST and some others I forget.

Bioshock, Fallout 3, Portal, TF2 and Left 4 Dead 1/2 are all games that I didn't hear/pay attention to all that much prior to buying and for that reason I enjoy(ed) them that much more.

It's probably why I think Halo 2 and Gears of War are better than their sequels too.

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
No game has been ruined by me. None. Nada. Nothing. Hype only affects games if you let it... Have your own expectations.

iFail69

Nov 17, 2009
CoD 5 was kinda hyped up to be much better than it turned out to be

it was annoying when I found out AFTER I bought it...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Warhammer Online, Aion, Spore, Prototype.

The last one is really good, but it's still a lot less than I expected.

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
Modern Warfare 2 was massively hyped and certainly did not deliver for me; Assassin's Creed II however was right on the money and I'm loving every second of it :)

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
Hype doesn't ruin games for me. A good game is a good game, no matter how good everyone thought it would be. Personally, I think it's kind of shallow to have popularity and hype affect your opinion of a game. There are only so many games I will buy the minute they come out, and those are regardless of their hype: sequels like Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2, and Final Fantasy XIII are on my list not because of hype, but because I have come to expect excellence out of these franchises. As for original games, I look at the facts and see what I'm interested in: Epic Mickey, for instance, looks genuinely interesting. I don't need hype to get me psyched for that game, because it simply looks good.

Whatever, there's my rant. Hype shouldn't affect your opinion of a game for better or for worse.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
Halo 3? That had more hype than... I dunno no analogy seems to fit there was just that much of it.

Kajt

Feb 20, 2009
I tend to avoid hype. I just watch trailers of games and get some basic info on the games I want to buy nowadays.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I learned my lesson with Warhammer Online.

I fell for the hype.

Never again.

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
Granted, I don't think Half Life 2 has any replay value, at least not for several months.

But it is often the anticipation that is the greater sensation than actually getting there.
That's why we always pursue new ways to better ourrselves, because it's more exciting trying to improve and change things than be contented.

I'm in a really philosophical mood today.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Halo 3:ODST and some others I forget.

Bioshock, Fallout 3, Portal, TF2 and Left 4 Dead 1/2 are all games that I didn't hear/pay attention to all that much prior to buying and for that reason I enjoy(ed) them that much more.

It's probably why I think Halo 2 and Gears of War are better than their sequels too.
I agree. It's the unheard-of gems that really sparkle, because you aren't expecting the super-special-awesome game that gave you seizures when it flashed across your TV screen. Bioshock was a tantalizing commercial summing up a 1920s-40s feel, steampunk, underwater, and you could shoot BEES out of your ARMS. (Also, I love the song "Somewhere Beyond the Sea," so that jut solidified it for me)

Valve barely ever advertises, and their games are all pretty noteworthy.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
aarontg said:
Has their bin
Their bin?

.....wow.

you mean "There been"?

I mean, call me out on grammar policing all you want, but that's first degree murder of the language...

Sir_Tor

Nov 29, 2009
That's why I ignore everything else but the games names and perhaps some info about it so I won't be dissapointed. Works everytime!

Aztek463

May 4, 2008
Halo 3 let me down quite a bit. It wasn't bad...but it wasn't the golden calf of gaming I was expecting either. Assassin;s Creed as well...again, not bad, but it got insanely repetitive and the fun just sort of ran dry.

Still, hype isn't all bad...THe Orange Box certainly wasn't a disappointment, for one. Arkham Asylum was pretty good, in my humble opinion.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Hype is awesome (as long as you're the one making/selling the games).

EDIT: Are expectations you got by playing the previous game in the series included? If so then hype kinda ruined Fable 2.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Assasin's Creed 1 was guilty of this. Brutal Legend too.

I'm usually quite satisfied with most games though.