Hyper Light Drifter

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Very promising game thus far. Metroidvania meets Nausicaa/Laputa. What's not to like?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
The main issue with the game is that its base gameplay is difficult in a way that requires a LOT of precision, yet the controls aren't precise enough. Also, being locked at 30 FPS doesn't help. Losing a bossfight because the game can't keep up with itself and process inputs at the rate it demands of the player is extremely frustrating. Basically, the game never quite handles comfortably enough and it feels like I'm struggling with the controls, which should never happen in this type of game.

Also, the minimalist storytelling can be hit and miss, depending greatly on individual taste. While I liked it for the most part, I wouldn't mind a few more bits being a BIT more explicit. I accept that this is VERY subjective, however, and even then I'm mostly fine with it.

Beyond that, it really is a lovely game. The visuals, the style, the atmosphere, the music, the audio in general... all really unique and enjoyable. If the gameplay was just a tad better, it would be a masterpiece. As it stands, it's a somewhat flawed gem.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Barciad said:
Very promising game thus far. Metroidvania meets Nausicaa/Laputa. What's not to like?
You may want to add to your post, or they may lock the forum.

OT: I love it so far. I'm splitting my time between this, Sunless Sea, and Darkest Dungeon. They're pretty phenomenal thus far. I get way more of a Soul's vibe from it, though. I'm pretty sure they listed it as an influence, and it shows. Miyazaki once said that, if the world is well made, you can tell a story without saying a single word. Well, they seem to have taken it even further then he did, because I haven't encountered a single line of dialogue. It's great.

It has a weird dreamlike vibe to it as well. Nothing feels quite...real. I'm curious to see where it goes.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I bought it on release day and I LOVED it.

Sure it was challanging at times but like with any other challanging games, it only strife me to do better (the south bosses were a ***** to fight)!

LawAndChaos

Nice things are gone
Aug 29, 2014
I backed it, but haven't had a chance to dive into it quite yet.

Even so, it's generally considered a good quality game, so I plan to get on it once I've managed to take some chunks out of my backlog.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Fox12 said:
Barciad said:
You may want to add to your post, or they may lock the forum.

OT: I love it so far. I'm splitting my time between this, Sunless Sea, and Darkest Dungeon. They're pretty phenomenal thus far. I get way more of a Soul's vibe from it, though. I'm pretty sure they listed it as an influence, and it shows. Miyazaki once said that, if the world is well made, you can tell a story without saying a single word. Well, they seem to have taken it even further then he did, because I haven't encountered a single line of dialogue. It's great.

It has a weird dreamlike vibe to it as well. Nothing feels quite...real. I'm curious to see where it goes.
Actually, I got one of Shantee games on the Steam sale. And some arty one called 'Fract OSC'.

But back to the game. I'm also reminded of Bastion and Fumito Ueda games. Dead.dying worlds seem to bring out the best in designers these days. See also 'Journey'.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I backed it and have cleared the two of the three initial areas so far. Unfortunately, the west boss is giving me a lot of problems(I've gotten him down to half health on my best attempt) and I can't continue the game until I beat him.

I really enjoyed it and despite the boss repeatedly beating the crap out of me, still do.
Unfortunately, I started playing Dark Souls for the first time, so HLD will have to wait until I finish that.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
30 fps in a game that demands precision, nonexistant difficulty curve.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Backed it, it's a great game but its missing a few things to push it into the amazing game category imo. Like someone said the control aren't quite there, they feel just a bit too loose for what the game sometime expect. Being an non linear world game, the difficulty is kinda all over the place, the first boss I fought took me 5-6 shoot but the last three took me 1-2 shoot. The story feel way too much like its trying to be vague for the sake of being vague, the introduction is particularly egregious in that regard, it felt like an artsy fartsy short film. There's not enough upgrade for how much upgrade token the game give you, by the end of the second area I had brought everything I could ever want, somewhat related most secondary weapon are pointless and the starting pistol is probably the best weapon until the very end when you get the super overpowered last gun. Some of the secret are a bit random, requiring you to hug every wall in every level.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I've beat two of the initial areas (North and East) and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I, too, wish it was at 60 FPS but it doesn't bother me much and I've only rarely felt like I should be blaming the controls rather than my own incompetence when I've died.

I'm not totally fond on the bits where you're locked in a room with a Dynasty Warriors-sized horde of enemies who keep spawning in waves but, for the most part, I'm really loving the game. The combat feels punchy and satisfying and actually *looks* pretty badass despite the lo-fi aesthetic, the atmosphere is amazing and the presentation is top-notch.

It's not perfect but it's definitely worth buying. It's the first thing to really grip me in a good few months.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So apparently I'm really terrible at finding the upgrades chips because I've gone through the West, North and East enough to reach(and in two cases, beat) the bosses but I've only been able to upgrade half of my equipment thus far. I know where 3 more chips are but I haven't been able to get them due to be very good at the quickstep ability(otherwise you get burned to death or fall in the water).