Hypothetically let's say I don't like Oblivion

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Let's say I played it on Xbox and really didn't like it, but appreciate it for what it is. Let's also say that I wish that I COULD like the game but some things really turned me off about it like scaling monster levels and "incorrect" character leveling, clunky combat yada yada.

Hypothetically if I were to get the PC version instead, what are some potentially game-fixing mods that are a must have for someone who's never played an Elder Scrolls game and is having a hard, hard time trying with Oblivion.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Skyrim is supposed to deal with most of the issues that made Oblivion annoying, like the scaled leveling and the clunky combat. So you might just want to bide your time. You could try getting some game-fixing mods for Oblivion, but make sure that they do exist, and that they do work, before you actually spend your money on the game.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.

weker

May 27, 2009
I played on both and the mods don't solve a bad story with masses of copy and paste areas.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
weker said:
I played on both and the mods don't solve a bad story with masses of copy and paste areas.
I don't think it's the kind of game anyone plays for the story. It's not something that would even make it as a Syfy original movie.

Yeah the environments though, were a total turn off. I found some environment and graphics mods that seemed interesting, but that wouldn't be enough to take money out of my wallet. There're plenty of other reasons the game turned me away.

weker

May 27, 2009
Cridhe said:
weker said:
I don't think it's the kind of game anyone plays for the story. It's not something that would even make it as a Syfy original movie.

Yeah the environments though, were a total turn off. I found some environment and graphics mods that seemed interesting, but that wouldn't be enough to take money out of my wallet. There're plenty of other reasons the game turned me away.
its not the graphics on the environments its because almost 80% of the dungeons and such are copy and pasted from another meaning each one feels the same.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
http://www.nehrim.de/infosEV.html

Take a look at that.

It's a mod that completely redoes Oblivion so much so that it's technically like playing a different game.

You can get so many mods for Oblivion it's unreal. It's better than the console version purely because you can do so much with it.

Check out The Nexus Forums and moddb, download a few mods that take your fancy and you'll wonder how you played it without them.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
Rawne1980 said:

Take a look at that.

It's a mod that completely redoes Oblivion so much so that it's technically like playing a different game.

You can get so many mods for Oblivion it's unreal. It's better than the console version purely because you can do so much with it.

Check out The Nexus Forums and moddb, download a few mods that take your fancy and you'll wonder how you played it without them.
Oh wow that does look amazing!

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
There's MOE pack (Modular Oblivion Enhanced) Which has a huge variety of game "fixing" mods, included in said pack a mod that gets rid of the level scaling items and monsters, as well as hunger effects, fatigue loss while running, and, my favourite, realistic law inforcement. However all of these are optional, so you can mix and match the mods in the pack.

http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=2000 <-- Here :D

As for Combat, there aren't any mods that "fix" that I've noticed. There are ones that Enhanced, like Deadly Reflex mod, that has you time attacks and blocks, ect. And there are probably alot more, but I never really cared about the clunky combat so I don't really know that many mods about it.

Deadly Reflex http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8273

EDIT: Oh yeah, you might want OBSE (Oblivion Script Extender), as it's required for most mods.

http://obse.silverlock.org/

AngryBritishAce

Feb 19, 2010
Rawne1980 said:

Take a look at that.

Well, techniqually, it IS a different game, that stands on the shoulders of the original engine and game. It has nothing to do with the original oblivion, except the textures and models. It's a new game all together.

weker

May 27, 2009
Blablahb said:
weker said:
its not the graphics on the environments its because almost 80% of the dungeons and such are copy and pasted from another meaning each one feels the same.
The layout, critters and possible local 'quests' are different for each one, so I don't recognize Oblivion in what you're saying.

The only thing that could make one say that is the graphics of the environment.
Annnnd.... I disagree with you, from my personal experience the rooms were different some times but were still massively copy and pasted many of which had identical rooms. such as a large square cave with a small natural stone bridge going over a gap. The monsters did change but this did not help its bad copy and pasted areas at all, due to my game play style never had to change unless there were ghosts.

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
I have to admit I agree with the OP.

My first experience with oblivion went like this.

"tra la la la, doing the story...ooh this story quest is too hard, this lizard thing is eating my face. I'll go do some side quests to level up. Now to try the story quest. OH MY GOD NOW THERE ARE FOUR LIZARD THINGS EATING MY FACE!! *quit*"

Tried it again recently and did better (for a start I found the difficulty setting) but still, got put off by the fact every time I got an awesome new spell every enemy in the game got awesome new HP. It didn't sit right. Rather than advancing I felt like I was on a treadmill.

I will be giving skyrim a look, but probably wait til it comes down in price some.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Well then, hypothetically, you're insane. Nah, I kid, I kid, you joyless heathen.
Bobbity said:
Skyrim is supposed to deal with most of the issues that made Oblivion annoying, like the scaled leveling and the clunky combat. So you might just want to bide your time. You could try getting some game-fixing mods for Oblivion, but make sure that they do exist, and that they do work, before you actually spend your money on the game.

Hypothetically speaking, of course.
pretty much this, if skyrim manages to fix the problems without losing too much depth, even I, a huge oblivion fan, will admit that skyrim could make it look damn near obsolete.

Bobzer77

May 14, 2008
Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul: http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=15256

Martigen's Monster Mod: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=oblivionmods.detail&id=1757

Both fix the scaling enemies and add LOTS of new content.

Check em out if you're interested.

KingHodor

Aug 30, 2011
I think back in the day (3 years ago or so?) I used Francesco's mod to effectively fix the level scaling issue.

Contrary to popular opinion, level scaling isn't an inherently bad idea - only if it is taken to the extreme, as it was in Oblivion.

Let me elaborate on that: Many people are unaware that Morrowind, too, had a level scaling feature - it's just that they simply pulled it off much more discreetly. While most of the enemies and items in the game were pre-set, certain randomly-generated stuff (like the soul gems you'd find in random chests and respawning Daedra) would be adjusted to your level - so the standard Dremora you'd find wielding a Dwemer mace at level 5 might be replaced by a Dremora lord wielding a Daedric Claymore at level 20. Yet the average smuggler would still run around in leather and wield a paltry iron weapon.
Oblivion, on the other hand, went completely overboard by pretty much having every creature and their equipment tied to your level, with only little room for variation - at level 20+, every thug would pretty much exclusively wear daedric or ebony armor, completely displacing low-level materials like iron or steel. Back in Morrowind, ebony was reserved for high-ranking nobles, and the only guy wearing a full set of daedric armor was an ancient, ridiculously powerful wizard.

Luckily, you can find plenty of mods that fix the loot tables so that you "unlock" high-quality armor based on your level, yet getting it actually feels rewarding (i.e. common thugs will still be clad in steel at higher levels, but there is now a chance of finding a single piece of ebony armor being worn by their leader, or hidden in a heavily-guarded chest).