Hyrule Warriors and its characters

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
So, apparently, Fi from Skyward Sword was announced as a playable character for the Zelda spin-off, Hyrule Warriors. This confused me even further on the game's choice of Zelda characters. She wasn't even a combat character for most of the game so why bring her? The same goes for Agitha.

The game is centered in a more warlike theme unlike official Zelda titles. There is a good amount of characters within the franchise that fit that bill pretty well. There's Darunia, Onox, Nabooru, Veran, and Ganondorf from the top of my head. Why not use them instead of Fi or Agitha?

Now, I know the game isn't even out yet and is being announced piece by piece but even then, I find the announcement order strange. What are your thoughts?

I think the inclusion of Fi was to appeal the new, new LoZ fans who started with the latest title but I'm not entirely sure.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
Sounds like they're picking them based on popularity and not combat prowess. Also, it's a Japanese game; more female characters fighting monsters is a must.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Characters that have no place near a battlefield is not even close to a new idea for games in the Warriors series. It'd be stranger if Hyrule Warriors didn't have weird, not-known-for-combat characters.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
burningdragoon said:
Characters that have no place near a battlefield is not even close to a new idea for games in the Warriors series. It'd be stranger if Hyrule Warriors didn't have weird, not-known-for-combat characters.
It's not so much that the devs put in something that's impractical and "unrealistic", it's just that they have a heap of potential characters to work with when it comes to Zelda. So why put in these characters or come up with new ones entirely (Lana) when you have others that would fit the style of the game well? You could even design said characters to fit whatever style the Warriors games are in.

I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors game or read Romance of the Three Kingdoms so I can't really comment on that.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
TheMigrantSoldier said:
burningdragoon said:
It's not so much that the devs put in something that's impractical and "unrealistic", it's just that they have a heap of potential characters to work with when it comes to Zelda. So why put in these characters or come up with new ones entirely (Lana) when you have others that would fit the style of the game well? You could even design said characters to fit whatever style the Warriors games are in.

I haven't played a Dynasty Warriors game or read Romance of the Three Kingdoms so I can't really comment on that.
I'm telling you man. Fi, Agitha, Midna, and Lana all fit just as well to the type of game as Link, Zelda and Impa. (And Ganondorf, of course he's going to be in it). If you only had badass 'regular' warrior types, it just wouldn't be a Warriors game. Having a variety of different, and sometimes pretty odd, styles of character is the whole point.

Like... DW has regular swords and spears guys. Then it also basically turns famous strategists into mages, and sometimes The Crow with a rock launcher [http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Guo_Huai]. And THEN it adds characters who's only noteworthy traits are "is another warrior's wife".

symphonymarie

Oct 15, 2013
I for one am totally into Agitha as a playable character. I think fun choices like that have definite merit!
Also, a Wiki addresses this addition, which I found kind of funny.

"She enters the battle because Midna kidnaps her butterfly while Midna is an enemy. Agitha fights primarily with her parasol, and is capable of summoning swarms of insects to aid her in battle."

So basically she's Peach with a bug fetish.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I don't think it's bad that a fighting... hoard game is introducing more diverse characters and ways how to play the game, differing play styles are what keeps a game fresh and interesting for everyone who picks it up. I don't mind a lot about what characters they put in and what they've meant to the lore, because all the characters look like adept fighters (sans Zelda).
Vern5 said:
Also, it's a Japanese game; more female characters fighting monsters is a must.
The truth hurts.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I kind of like the idea of Fi as a combat character, the constant repetition of her going "Master, I just hit an enemy" or something similar would surely have Wii U's being thrown across rooms in their masses.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
It sounds like it's staying true to the chaotic DW theme of including a wide spectrum of fighters. It's also a really good opportunity to explore how someone like Fi could fight, at least in terms of style or technique. I'll admit that I'm curious about the moveset now (though not as curious as about Agitha).

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
burningdragoon said:
I'm telling you man. Fi, Agitha, Midna, and Lana all fit just as well to the type of game as Link, Zelda and Impa. (And Ganondorf, of course he's going to be in it). If you only had badass 'regular' warrior types, it just wouldn't be a Warriors game. Having a variety of different, and sometimes pretty odd, styles of character is the whole point.

Like... DW has regular swords and spears guys. Then it also basically turns famous strategists into mages, and sometimes The Crow with a rock launcher [http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Guo_Huai]. And THEN it adds characters who's only noteworthy traits are "is another warrior's wife".
Can I give some more examples? One is smacking you with a scroll about war and summoning troops that way to attack for him? [http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Ma_Dai]

One last one... What about a little girl that smacks opponents with fans. [http://koei.wikia.com/wiki/Xiaoqiao] Supposedly, she's the wife of Zhou Yu, who's much older than her in looks at least.

You know what, maybe that's what makes DW games so much fun. So much variety and sometimes absurdity in what people use as 'weapons'.

Sould1n

Jan 23, 2011
Well at this point it's yet to be confirmed whether villain characters will even be playable. I know Zant and Ghirahim are in the game but there's been no word on whether their playable.

Personally I do not mind having some of the strange additions. On the one hand because most of the characters I want probably fit that bill, Fi being one of my top 5 most wanted characters and Tingle being my most wanted character of all, and on the other hand due to liking their being a mix of both the odder and more sensible choices. It'd be boring if all the choices were so predictable, and seeing them make whole fighting styles for characters such as Agitha is a lot of fun. I find the addition of the original character Lana as a playable character a bit suspect, but so far as their are not too many of these original characters within playable roles, I won't mind.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
They're going for the less obvious characters because they can be more creative and unique. There's only so many variations on dudes with swords, spears, axes, hammers, etc that you can do. And seriously, we've had this dance before: the full roster hasn't been disclosed yet. There's plenty of time to reveal more characters.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I'm going to base my opinion on the premise of this spin-off and how it disregards the core concepts of Zelda..

Base on that statement, I'm saying that "wacky spin-off deserves wacky stuff in it".

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
burningdragoon said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
burningdragoon said:

I don't know. There comes a point when if you put a bunch of wacky characters into the game, it stops being wacky and starts being the norm. I'd have no issue with characters like Agitha or Lana if they added more "appropriate" characters to accentuate their out-of-placeness.

None of the examples I put out could really count as bland or "another warrior's wife". There's Darunia who could make an excellent mobile tank character, rolling around and smashing things with his hammer. There's Nabooru who specializes in acrobatics and dual scimitars. And you have Onox who has an initial "human" form in armor, armed with a ball and chain. As the battle progresses, you'll end up fighting the dragon.

It's mostly a personal preference thing. I'm keeping an open mind since I doubt this is all they'll show.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
TheMigrantSoldier said:
There's Darunia, Onox, Nabooru, Veran, and Ganondorf from the top of my head. Why not use them instead of Fi or Agitha?
Koei-Tecmo could just be screwing with us. By that I mean the more logical characters to include in a fighty, warfare game are likely going to make the cut anyway and if KT already know that we know that, they may consider it a waste of our time to announce the more obvious characters. "Oh, Darunia has been announced? Big surprise there..." but if they were to announce someone like Tingle or Groose then you get these floods of post on social media and gaming websites more along the lines of, "DID YOU HEAR WHO YOU CAN PLAY AS IN THIS NEW GAME?! ARE THEY FREAKING INSANE!?! I HAVE TO TRY THIS!"

I'm not sure if anybody mentioned what the final character count would be for HW but considering most every Warriors game has a cast made up of a couple/few dozen characters to chose from, I can see KT just focusing on announcing the stranger choices and having us discover the rest. Like with Smash Bros though, I want an assurance that Groose is going to be in this just like, I'm sure, everyone else wants to be assured that the other more logical fighters will be represented and playable.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Random Argument Man said:
I'm going to base my opinion on the premise of this spin-off and how it disregards the core concepts of Zelda..

Base on that statement, I'm saying that "wacky spin-off deserves wacky stuff in it".
If that statement is the case, where's the only character the game actually NEEDS?!

Pls, Nintendo. You know HE was the real star of the game and not Fi.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
JagermanXcell said:
Random Argument Man said:

If that's the case where's the only character the game actually NEEDS?!

This idea..it's..it's..IT'S

You took my words and made art with them. Have a cookie.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Shoggoth2588 said:
I'm not sure if anybody mentioned what the final character count would be for HW but considering most every Warriors game has a cast made up of a couple/few dozen characters to chose from, I can see KT just focusing on announcing the stranger choices and having us discover the rest. Like with Smash Bros though, I want an assurance that Groose is going to be in this just like, I'm sure, everyone else wants to be assured that the other more logical fighters will be represented and playable.
For some reason, I don't see Tingle being a fighter. He'd probably just waltz through the battlefield, loot random corpses and chuckle sickeningly while doing so. It would fit his personality...

Seriously, though, I think that's... understandable. I just want some assurance, I guess.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Catfood220 said:
I kind of like the idea of Fi as a combat character, the constant repetition of her going "Master, I just hit an enemy" or something similar would surely have Wii U's being thrown across rooms in their masses.
It's either that, or Navi speaking when there's an important message.
"HAY!! LISSUN!!"
<youtube=Tx-f0ARS184>

I'm hoping we get the JP voices, too.

OT:
I frikking love Koei. If a person never fought, they'll amn well imagine a way they could, and generally make it as insanely beautiful as possible.
It's not often I want a game so much.

Eliwood10

Feb 4, 2013
I'm totally fine with Fi and Agatha being playable characters. Since they're not really fighters in their respective games, it will make their playstyles all the more interesting and creative.

And as long as we're speculating about possible playable characters I've got to say: if Linebeck gets left out I will be beside myself with grief. It would be nothing short of a crime to exclude on the the best supporting characters from the series.