I abhor the Olympics.

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
First of all, you're as insane as anyone else on this planet. You're human; you were doomed to be crazy the moment you were conceived.

That aside, the Olympics in and of themselves aren't a bad thing; it's meant for the world to come together and be nice to each other while engaging in friendly competition. Doesn't stop a lot of people at home from using it as an excuse to be a bunch of fucking assholes to people in other countries - again, we're human, and thus inevitably suck, so more often than not it's just a lot of penis-waving about who's better than everyone else, and the internet has just made that easier for such behavior - but the Olympics in and of themselves have a fine intent.

As for on the whole sports, I don't care for them either, but I don't see the need to piss all over everyone else's parade about it. I do think most professional athletes are ridiculously overpaid, though.

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
The olympics was originally used as a alternative to war along with the obvious fittness competiions.

Though today the whole thing is fairly corrupted with the marketing greed

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Money could be spent on something more productive you say?
Well, if we're going to make a list of things that people waste time on instead of being productive, videogames, movies, books, sports, parties and pretty much any leisure activity.
So sports isn't your cup of tea to watch. Don't watch it. CoD isn't my cup of tea in the videogame department, so I don't play it. There are people who like each, and just because you don't like it doesn't mean nobody should.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Jailbird408 said:
But I'm going to go down knowing I'm the only sane person on this whole goddamn planet.
Words that only a madman could say.

Yes, the Olympics aren't great, I don't like them either but ehhhh what ya gonna do?

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
You want to the end one of the few events, in the history of humanity, that has managed to unite people from everywhere under one common banner and transcends the squabble of politics? The Olympics is a symbol of global unity. For a short time, people put aside national politics and petty squabbles and compete together. Aside from maybe the Pope, and the UN the Olympics rest as one of the few things that the world universal recognizes as something good or at least sacred. Even people who try to bomb the Olympics do so knowing its something that would affect the entire world. It more then sports, its a global event event. Even if you think its pointless at least recognize that there is more to it then just a few competitions.

phatty500

Mar 25, 2009
dawe do i detect a hint of jealousy. dats adoreable :3

but seriously you sound really insecure and i feel thats a little more than half your problem.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
This is a rant at Sport in general moreso then the Olympics, and to the OP I suggest he drop the ultra-conservative fun police attitude before he hurts himself with boredom.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Words that only a madman could say.
Oi, even we madmen wouldn't do that. We like our insanity straight-up, thankyouverymuch.

OT: What exactly is the point of this thread? You (OP) are obviously not prepared to hold a reasoned debate as to how useful the olympic games really are, so then why should we care about your argument?

Yoshi4507

Jul 20, 2010
This opinion will almost certainly get me struck down. But I'm going to go down knowing I'm the only sane person on this whole goddamn planet.

So by saying this, does that mean you're saying everyone else is crazy or retarded? If so, the irony in this is hilarious.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Excuse me but that sounded really pathetic and why the fuck would i want to watch scientists when i could watch athletic hot chicks jumping around?

dabronc7

Jul 16, 2009
And you can say the same exact thing about wasting time with movies, books, video games, tv, etc. Just because you don't like something (i.e. sports) doesn't mean they are any less deserving of popularity than what you spend your time with. Unless you have devoted your entire life to the advancement of mankind without any sort of distraction (like I don't know the Escapist maybe?) then you have no right to tell someone else their pastime is stupid or not worth the time. While you have the right to express your opinion on the matter, maybe you should actually realize the irony of making said statement on a website devoted to distractions like movies, games and television.

Good day sir.

Luca72

Dec 6, 2011
I don't enjoy watching sports in general. I have mates that do, and it doesn't bother me. They don't like watching Zero Punctuation. Everyone has their thing.

That being said, I do exercise. A lot. And I feel good about pushing myself past my own boundaries. I find it extremely inspiring to be able to watch literally the fastest man in the world run against a bunch of other really fast guys trying to dethrone him. I like seeing high-profile Judo matches. That 16 year old Chinese girl that just broke the womens' swimming record blew my mind.

Watching people do incredible feats elevates me. The amount of resources devoted to the Olympics may be unreasonable (yes I read the Cracked article), but it's no different from the other bullshit priorities modern society has.

Basically - if it makes people feel and act better, what's wrong with it?

DrBonBon

Sep 14, 2011
You obviously don't like, or get Rocky or Karate Kid. Because the feeling you get from Rocky winning or Daniel-san kicking ass to a sweet Joe Esposito song is what is sports.

Dumori

Dumori(masoddaa)
May 28, 2010
I generally dislike sports and watching them. So I'll begin by saying the Olympics are annoying as a whole, dear god I've seen every damn product make a bid to be related in advertising. I however am/was an amature fencer(the current status is debated-able). Fencing is something I love to do and to watch and it's been the only thing I've followed in the Olympics but then if I had the ability to watch the rest of fencing's major events I would.

Now as for why people love to watch sport, some of it is escapism, I know being 20 and out of the sport for 2 years with health issues my slim chance to be an world class fencer is all but over, it doesn't stop my love for the sport and my respect for what can be done.

The Oylimpics gets a lot of media attention as it has a very interesting space in world sports for the sports that are part of it. It's a rare event where unknowns and semi-amatures can get a chance against those who are part of the bigger event cycles. It's every 4 year spacing means it's often also viewed as capstone for the last 4 years a medal to drive for. For athalets it's a huge part of their careers and that reflects with how the media treats in in part.

While I'm not one to get behind my nation, or people local for the sake of their local, if I knew them or their coach I'd root for them more than others, but I find my self rooting for those who's style reflects my own in fencing.

However I clicked on this post hoping for something intresting all I got what a self absorbed rant that more or less said "I think this, it is fact, every one else can suck it." Just as you can't understand something. Maybe others in society should get more regognision but then science and academia don't really have a spectator element, something that sports have an edge with you can watch them doing their feats live. You just can't do that in other feilds for a verity of reasons that's the main reason it's a "bigger" deal.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
This post does make you sound like an alpha nerd that doesn't get sports, I personally don't care much for the olympics but I still think they should go ahead it is the best display of unity the world ever gets and these games get a free pass completely in my book because every country is fielding women for the first time ever so it is a show of progression in the world.

If you don't like it just ignore it that's fine but don't be so self obsessed that you believe everyone else has to have your opinion cause that just makes you Hitler.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
A new lane on 39 kilometers of roadway reserved exclusively for Olympic workers, athletes and sponsors, NOT emergency services. A gigantic wall to protect Olympic buildings even larger than the Berlin Wall at its prime. The largest, smartest network of CCTV cameras, wasted on searching for counterfeit merchandise of that garish mascot Wenlock when they could be used to catch, I don't know, drug dealers and murderers!
I'll just destroy this little rant first.

Emergency services have priority on any lane if there is ... wait for it ... and emergency. It doesn't matter if anything is reserved they will use it if they have to.

If that wall wasn't there then people would walk away with anything that wasn't nailed down and vandalise the rest ... welcome to the UK.

Don't even get me started on CCTV .... we have more cameras than people.

Just because they set a few more up for the Olympics doesn't mean they turned off every other camera in London.

I don't know if you honestly believe what you were ranting about there but they were all baseless arguments that any one with any ounce of common sense should know were wrong.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Jailbird408 said:
WARNING: Personal opinion of this user may plummet after reading this critique.
That has to be the quickest incovation (or at least foreshadowing) of "And if you don't like what I'm saying, that makes me right!" that I've ever seen or likely ever will see. Seriously, now.

after reading this critique.
I do not think that word means what you think it means.

This opinion will almost certainly get me struck down. But I'm going to go down knowing I'm the only sane person on this whole goddamn planet.
Yep. The foreshadowing I mentioned up there alright.

By the way, if you spot an error in this post... do you really think I care?
Yep. Especially since your post seems to be intentionaly confrontational...

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
The olympics (and sport in general) is essentially an evolved and peacful interpretation of "survival of the fittest". You pit yourself against an opponent and try to win by a certain ruleset that you both must adhere to.

To me your argument is pretty much "I dont like this so I want everyone to stop doing it".

No offence but I find that pretty arrogant and intolerant. It fine to not like something that someone else does. But it has to be said that many of the worlds biggest problems today are because they take that dislike and then try to force everyone to dislike it and start liking what YOU want instead.

If its not hurting anyone and its what an individual or a team want to do then why not let it pass without comment? I mean sure in this day and age the fact the I might be able to jump 2cm higher than you is pretty much irrelevant but its harmless.

And saying its pointless that people "waste time" doing and watching sport is pretty disingenuous. Im pretty sure if you think about what REALLY matters you waste just as much time as anyone else on pointless endeavors or activities. Its all opinion - and youre opinion is just as right and just as wrong as everyone elses.

Just a matter of perspective.

Yoshi4507

Jul 20, 2010
I've come to the conclusion that this person has to be a troll. To say that after reading this it will plummit our thoughts of him, but then say that he is the only sane person and everyone else isn't right in the head, that he is the only right one, is completely ludacris. Obvious troll is obvious. Got a good laugh after reading the first sentence though.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
Abhor: to regard with extreme repugnance;
Repugnance: strong dislike, distaste, or antagonism.

I abhor rape. I abhor murder. I abhor racism. I dislike and find boring certain Olympic trends.