I (actually) don't like music

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
Riffing off an older thread, in which OP described how their taste in music was, ultimately, very specific and unconventional, I felt I ought to put forward my own perspective, in that I actually do not like music.

In fairness, it's not that I actively hate music. However, having sampled many genres from modern pop to heavy metal, classical to blues, I can honestly say I have not heard a song or piece that has moved me in any significant way. Even those that evoked a small amount of excitement on first listening have dulled over time to ambivalence. If anything, the most common emotion music will induce is melancholy. I'm more than happy to sit in silence when on my own (and more often than not I prefer it).

Am I alone in this? Has anyone had a stage in their life where they were like this, and if so did you ever leave it?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I can't imagine you're alone on that but I would hate if that was me. I like music. It makes me happy.

I wonder if music videos would help for you (if you're looking for help that is; you might be perfectly happy without music).

For example, I have always been a big fan of Rise Against. Then, I started watching some of their music videos and the songs became so much more powerful because of it. As the name of the band implies, they are very political and their videos reflect this.

Easily my favorite of their videos. An anti-bullying/stay strong video made in response to a number of gay teens who committed suicide due to the torment felt during high school

A song about the trials and tribulations felt by victims of Hurricane Katrina and the absolute botching of the rescue attempts by the American government

An anti-war song showing the trials and tribulations of the soldiers dealing with issues like PTSD and the guilt of taking a life

I don't think I could handle life at work without music.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I won't say music is my life or anything, but I'm usually constantly listening to music. If I'm not watching TV or playing a very story based game. I will have some form of music playing. Usually metalcore or post-hardcore. Or for the past three weeks, nothing but Bring Me the Horizon.

Who would have thought that the lead vocalist losing his full out screaming voice would lead to this?

I wouldn't say you're alone, but you are definitely in the minority. I see no problem with not liking music, but if I was just sitting in my room in silence. I would fall asleep. Hell, I even listen to music when I read.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Disliking music is totally fine, though a rare sort of thing. I've played instruments for years, so I can't really ever imagine completely avoiding all music, but there are definitely times when none of my iPod's options suit me. Don't worry, OP, you're unusual, but it's not a bad thing.

SaberXIII

Apr 29, 2010
Forgive me if I've read this wrong, but I find it curious that you associate "liking music" with "being profoundly impacted by it". Personally, I've only ever found one or two tracks that were make-my-day awesome, but I listen to a lot of stuff just as background music to working out or studying, not specifically for enjoyment, and I'd still say I like music. Regardless, just as Nigh Invulnerable said, a disinterest in music is unusual, but there are no consequences to it.

franticfarken

Mar 25, 2013
If you want to analyse and be moved by talent, I personally find some Hip-Hop to be some of the most creative lyrically music of all time. They are truly modern day poets.

"Fine, sign of the time we elapse
When a primate climb up a spine and attach
Eye for an eye, by the bog life swamps and vines
They get a rise out of frogs and flies
So when a dogfight's hog-tied prize sort of costs a life
The mouths water on a fork and knife"

Are lyrics from Aesop Rock, talking about current humanity, calling us swines and parasites through a dozen references.

If abilities such as that is not "moving" or inspiring I don't know what is.

This is a form of music and for me personally it's incredibly moving.

But regarding the actual thread, I've had moments where I have felt the same. However something always reels me back in.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
I can't imagine you're alone on that but I would hate if that was me. I like music. It makes me happy.

I wonder if music videos would help for you (if you're looking for help that is; you might be perfectly happy without music).

For example, I have always been a big fan of Rise Against. Then, I started watching some of their music videos and the songs became so much more powerful because of it. As the name of the band implies, they are very political and their videos reflect this.

Easily my favorite of their videos. An anti-bullying/stay strong video made in response to a number of gay teens who committed suicide due to the torment felt during high school

A song about the trials and tribulations felt by victims of Hurricane Katrina and the absolute botching of the rescue attempts by the American government

An anti-war song showing the trials and tribulations of the soldiers dealing with issues like PTSD and the guilt of taking a life

I don't think I could handle life at work without music.
Make It Stop is really powerful, just paying attention to lyrics and the mood of that song gets the mssage through, but the music video was really well done.

OT: I didn't use to like music, but eventually I started liking a few individual songs from a couple artists, but my taste was very limited, but spanning over multiple genres. At some point I was introduced to Rise Against, I believe that was in 2003 or 2004 and I instantly loved it. From then on I started to listen mostly to them with the songs I used to like before this mixed in. Eventually I moved on and branched out a little. My music taste is a little broader, I can tolerate and enjoy music if the mood is right, but I can sympathize. Some things just aren't for you and I accept and understand that. Some people don't like spicy food, some people aren't intensely fascinated with intracellular signalling and well, that's fine. You're not a monster for having different interests and I won't try to make you like music because I want you to conform to my definition of normal. It might be that you're like me and simply don't like the thing that's popular in your environment, but that's for you to figure out on your own.

mistahzig1

May 29, 2013
Same here. I was never exposed to music as a kid and rarely listen to music now. The only time I listen to music is when my gf wants to listen to some or I listen to classical music in the evening sometimes to put my youngest to sleep.

I don't dislike music; I'm merely indifferent to it.

Directionless

Nov 4, 2013
That's weird man. Never met a person who didn't enjoy music. I personally don't care at all for messages in music or lyrics of any kind. The music is what gives me enjoyment, the voice is just another instrument for me.

Just as a random recommendation for weird music that you may not have heard, and doesn't contain lyrics; check out Sou-au by Me myself and I, and some stuff from the Neotokyo album by 0edit (Personal favourite of mine is Scrap I/O)

Eliam_Dar

Nov 25, 2009
I know someone like you, he doesn't really like music... I mean he does not hate or loathe it but, he couldn't care less, so no, you are not alone in that.
For me, music is life, is as important as breathing, I play the Bass and now I am learning Violin. Just out of curiosity, have you tried learning an instrument? it might change how you feel.

As for emotional music, listen to (if you want) "Vision Divine - Letter to my child never born"

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
No, you're not alone. I've never been particular favourable towards music.

There is the song or two that I like, but nothing that I love. The only songs I really like are the kind you could remove the music and I'd like the lyrics. The music just makes it sound better. I certainly don't listen to music for the sake of it. When I travel to places, I listen to podcasts, not music.

It's frustrating because everyone else seems to love music, whereas I regard with it an even 'meh' to an outright annoyance, and people will look at you like a freak for not finding Pink Floyd particularly good, or not listening to Eminem or whatever.

And yes, I do sit in silence rather than have music; it's a constant distraction to me, all those noises.

Also, I like your Tech-Priest avatar. Hail the Omnissiah.

Moloch Sacrifice

Aug 9, 2013
Wow, guys. Thanks for all your input.

SaberXIII said:
Forgive me if I've read this wrong, but I find it curious that you associate "liking music" with "being profoundly impacted by it".
Maybe it is a little curious. I guess what I meant was that I don't have any "make-my-day-awesome" songs whatsoever, rather than the one or two other people might have. Everything just elicits a "meh" reaction at best, or actually leaves me worse than I started.

Sleekit said:
y'know that's actually a symptom of Depression...although it kinda depends on if you did previously and then...just...stop.
Don't worry, I've pretty much always been like this. I remember deliberately avoiding being in the yard when my Dad was doing DIY, since he would always have the radio on pretty loud.

Sleekit said:
nothing wrong with melancholy from music tho...that the basis of "the blues"...and country...but its supposed to lead be indirectly uplifting via the realisation that your not alone in being down...
Unfortunately, it's not just songs that are meant to be melancholic that affect me. Even songs that are meant to be upbeat can leave me feeling pretty miserable, especially if I've got nothing to do to distract myself from it.

Eliam_Dar said:
Just out of curiosity, have you tried learning an instrument? it might change how you feel.
I did actually try learning the violin for a few years (for unrelated reasons). I'll be honest, it wasn't a massively enjoyable experience. Practice felt like a chore, and I only scraped by a couple of grades.

Leon Declis said:
Also, I like your Tech-Priest avatar. Hail the Omnissiah.
Thanks. It's actually from a portrait of a Heretek, but what the Arch Magos doesn't know won't hurt him, right?