I ain't touching that with a ten foot pole.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Thousands of games exist in this world. Some good, some bad, some near god-like, and some that are so bad it hurts... but there also exists games that are so terrifying, so offensive, so downright disturbing that some people won't even get near it. I'm curious as to what games ya'll won't go anywhere near.

Mine is... is... is...

A majority of anime and visual novels know why this is game is terrifying. It's like the ultimate trap created by a demon, it starts off kinda cute and fuzzy and then takes turns so dark it could haunt dreams. I was lucky enough to be spoiled about the anime before I made the mistake of watching it, but human curiosity made me download the VN. There it sat in my toolbar... waiting for me to play it. I clicked the terrifying icon once before instantly shutting it down. After about six months of sitting there, I finally deleted that taint from my computer. School Days is way to close to reality for me to be comfortable playing it.

This game is about a man, a young man who falls in love with a mysterious girl on the train. With the aid of one of his classmates, he manages to get the courage to ask her out. Being a young man, his sexual urges are quite high. When the girl doesn't put out as much as he wants, he decides to turn to his classmate for help. Together they start doing things of a sexual nature and eventually, his classmate falls for him. So now we have a two-timer as the protagonists... then it gets worse. He starts having sex with multiple other girls, his girlfriend is raped by his best-friend, and the two girls are starting to get jealous. This game has about 32 different endings, none of them are happy. Five result in the death of at least one person, either due to suicide or straight up fucking murder. The worst ending, which is the one the anime went with, involves a double homicide, corpse mutilation, and some necrophilia. To sum it up, this game takes the harem dream and brings it into the real world. Where emotions and teen stupidity take things too far. Here, I'll even link a video. This is seriously how the fucking anime ended.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
My problem with a subject like this is my morbid curiosity often wins out over any other factor.

So... Road to hell, retribution is the worst most unfinished, halfbaked thing in ages, (wwell, there's air control of course, but eh)

And of course on the subject of japanese stuff, that's a whole can of worms right there.

I mean, the first thing that comes to mind there is... rapelay. The title alone is terrifying, and a description of what it's like makes it 1000 times worse, and yet, some small part of me has this morbid curiosity about a thing like that... What is such a game like? Just how disturbing does it get? What does it expect it's players to do? what does it actually depict?
But of course, curiosity has limits. trying to get a copy of a game like that would probably get me put on a watch list, or even arrested. so uh, no thanks. I'm not that curious. (to say nothing of the fact that it if that game is what it appears what it is claimed to be, that's probably going to trigger some horrible memories too. Kind of a stupid thing for someone that has been raped to put themselves through)

And that's an extreme example, but there are plenty more things that fall into a similar if less extreme category.

In spite of what people have told me about it for instance, huniepop makes me wary of going near it. (gaameplay footage made me even more reluctant)

I happen to love catgirls, which led to a game called nekopara... Which I bought, but feel really reluctant to actually play.
I know that there's an explicit version and a censored one... And I know I have the censored version, but still...
The existence of an explicit version in itself tells me something.
As do the pictures flooding the steam community page... ~shudder~

Anyway, yeah, sexual content makes me wary just by itself, but then it csn get into truly scary territory so quickly too, if you're not paying attention to what you might be about to play... (rrape, incest, borderline stuff to do with children or childlike characters, all manner of disturbing fetishes, the list is endless, and it can take you by surprise if youb weren't paying attention to what the game actually is... )

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
World of Warcraft. Nope. Nope. Nope. The loss of millions of lives speaks for itself. But I have a personal reason too: I think I might actually like it. I'm a sucker for dungeon crawlers, and, well, you know how it goes.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Minecraft. Not because it's bad, but because I'm unproductive enough as it is.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I stay far, far, far away from the Grand Theft Auto games. All of them. I fear my conscience would simply chew me up if I played them. I have a hard enough time when I had to make the "renegade" or "practical" choice in games, such as Mass Effect or Dragon Age. And once I do and get the trophy, I immediately reload a previous save and erase that. Yeah, I'm that bad at being bad.

Someone once asked me why I don't play WoW too. Besides the fact that I don't like having to constantly pay to keep playing a game, I asked them if they'd ever heard of those people who sit there for hours and do nothing but play the game. Like, to the point where they are putting their lives in danger. And then I told them that there was a real chance that might end up being me.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
High school horror is an old clique as is turning it into a morality play of sorts. This includes stories with monsters, those with monsters as a metaphor, and of course though that simply deal with humans facing the repercussions of their behavior, this seems to be an example of the latter. Japan seems to be especially fond of the setting, to the point of wearing it out, and seems to like doing a bit of "bait and switch" with the things they promote, especially products that never make it to the US (probably for this reason, and Americans hating buying one thing and finding out they actually received something quite different). From the looks of that it passes itself off as one of those ideal high school life simulators, and then turns it into a morality horror where the behavior of the characters winds up causing massive blowback, and people suffering serious consequences.

That said the actual issues in the game (rape, etc..) don't especially bother me, so much as passing it off as something else. In serious horror I expect depravity, rape, etc... and to be honest unlike some things Japan has done this seems like it's at least aiming to have a positive message from how it's described since things do not turn out well for the wrongdoers. In some games like "Rapelay" they seem to be glorifying criminal behavior and there doesn't seem to be any kind of repercussions for the actions of the protagonist. Of course then again playing as the bad guy can sometimes be entertaining for that reason as the success of games like "Grand Theft Auto" and the like show. While many disagree I figure at the end of the day if your going to make games where you run around selling drugs, robbing banks, and engaging in mass murder sprees, you might as well have things like rape and slavery in them as well. Of course that's beyond the purview of things like this, even as a rape victim (admittedly when I was like six from an older kid) I've always thought that it was kind of silly that you can play a mass murdering sociopath, drive a monster truck down the street crushing people, run around stabbing hookers for money, and playing sub-games where you might say pick up drugs in one location and deliver them to drop off points including locations like schools, and yet rape and human trafficking for some reason go too far. Despite the disagreement I figure if your already torturing and mutilating your way around the countryside why stop there? Something like a rape simulator without other context isn't my cup of tea and I don't like it, but I sort of "get" it, though honestly to me it mostly stand out when that's all there is to the game more than the simple inclusion of rape in something else where it makes sense. To me a lot of it comes down to "GI Joe" logic, you know where this organization Cobra is out to rule the world, they don't care about mass murder, terrorism, or even blowing up the moon (even if they are always stop), at one point they literally breed a hybrid emperor for themselves using the DNA of guys like Hitler, Stalin, Caesar, Napoleon, etc... basically history's greatest "villains and conquerors" and the guy is totally insane... yet amazingly these guys won't deal drugs, that's too evil for them, the greatest evil minds in history fused into one being feel smoking pot and doing a few lines goes a bit too far for them, it's worse than say plotting to drain the world's oceans and hold them for ransom or blowing up the moon, or whatever other insane things they have gotten up to over the years and through all the various media. They even did a cartoon movie where Cobra and GI Joe team up to stop drug dealers. I feel the logic when it comes to rape is the same way, if your going to go there with complete sociopaths, go there and leave it be.

At any rate while it doesn't involve the rape some other things that involve some rather nasty "you can't win" scenarios in high school type settings are things like "Dagaan Rampa", "Corpse Party", and "Higurashi: When they Cry". None involve rape (but can involve sexual overtones and obsession that might go that far, but usually ends with the obsessed or object of obsession dying before anything happens), but almost all of them involve their share of horrible deaths and even if you win the video games nearly everyone dies, The Animes based off of them are equally grim (except maybe Dagaan Rampa which they camped up).

Of course the French get into this too, check out this high school experience music video by a French band called "Dye".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I'm willing to try just about any game once. The problem comes from games that rely on a constant internet connection for me to play...what's worse are when those games require a subscription. Apparently Final Fantasy XI still requires a subscription despite Final Fantasy XIV being out, expanded upon and, apparently fixed from what it originally was. I probably wouldn't play either anyway since my PC isn't great but the subscription fee is what keeps me the Hell away. Then there are freemium games like All the Bravest, Star Trek on iOS, Dungeon Keeper etc that don't want to be played, they want to be able to lift me upside-down and shake my money out of me.

Other than those I can't think of many games I wouldn't want to go near...I don't care for racing or sports sims but I would play one if I had the opportunity, just to see how far they've come since the last time I tried one. I probably wouldn't play the Soul's games since they seem to require a ton of hardcore commitment...maybe if I had a bunch of extra time on my hands, I would give those games a shot.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Elfgore said:
OH BOY! A THREAD ABOUT SCHOOL DAYS! HERE'S MY REACTION TO THAT!

Caramel Frappe said:
Elfgore said:
Oh please, a game based off anime such as School Days can't be that bad-
The anime is based off the VN, actually. And a lot of people forget that School Days isn't just a single VN, it's part of a fucking series of VNs. Yeah, they're actually popular. Probably worse than the murders and suicides is that the School Days VNs are notorious for younger women being impregnated by much older men.

Incoming overflow family tree from across the School Days franchise!

I was suckered into these VNs by their cutesy appearances more than once. Several times I'd come across a familiar name and the PTSD would be real. The reaction was always "Oh God it's happening again!" when the realization hit me.

CrystalShadow said:
I mean, the first thing that comes to mind there is... rapelay. The title alone is terrifying, and a description of what it's like makes it 1000 times worse, and yet, some small part of me has this morbid curiosity about a thing like that... What is such a game like? Just how disturbing does it get? What does it expect it's players to do? what does it actually depict?
But of course, curiosity has limits. trying to get a copy of a game like that would probably get me put on a watch list, or even arrested. so uh, no thanks. I'm not that curious. (to say nothing of the fact that it if that game is what it appears what it is claimed to be, that's probably going to trigger some horrible memories too. Kind of a stupid thing for someone that has been raped to put themselves through)
I've seen gameplay footage of Rapelay and I'm going to be 100% honest with everyone here. The controversy that game created was absolutely stupid. While I think Rape is bad and all that stuff, and that Rapelay was extemely distasteful, what was essentially a shitty doujin game done with shitty 3D models, shitty animations and shitty textures didn't deserve any of the storm it created.

When the characters are doing it, the animations are so poor that the tip of penis often clips through the girls' stomachs or back, the actual penetration was just the penis clipping into the other models and it was obvious, the animations were so amateurish that I could have done better (I'm pretty sure they have no idea what inverse-kinematics is) and the dialogue is so poor that the entire game comes together as a laughable mess. It was Day One: Garry's Incident or Air Control tier terrible.

Also, the press coverage of the game caused a huge spike in foreign sales of the title, leading to it being completely sold out and causing a bunch of cash to be thrown right in the direction of the creators. Good job there, clickbait journalists. You gave a shitload of free advertising to something you hate!

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I'm a bit of a huge coward when it comes to what games I'll play. I seriously can't play any game that's vaguely in the horror genre. I mean, I could play Resident Evil 5, but we all know how much "horror" that game has. Like, horror themes are absolutely fine, but straight horror is a no-no.

Though sometimes I can deal with it. It really depends a lot on the game.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I heard the anime School Days was universally hated, but I never knew why.

Christ, there are some fucked up writers out there XD

DOOM GUY

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone
Jul 3, 2010
I dunno, I'd probably try just about any game once, if just for the sake of my morbid curiosity, unless real people were hurt in the production of it, or it contains footage of real people actually getting hurt.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
"Hatred" and other similar "edgy" bullshit that exists only to press other people's buttons.

Rahkshi500

May 25, 2014
Really? Really, really? Am I the only one here who actually likes School Days? I mean, the characters are more developed in the VN than they are in the anime. Granted, I don't know what happens in things like Summer Days or Cross Days, but the original VN wasn't really so bad. I mean, yeah, there are bad ends that are pretty gory, but it's really over the top to where it's hard to be frightened by them, and more often than not you'll more likely get one of the good endings instead.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
VanQ said:
CrystalShadow said:
I've seen gameplay footage of Rapelay and I'm going to be 100% honest with everyone here. The controversy that game created was absolutely stupid. While I think Rape is bad and all that stuff, and that Rapelay was extemely distasteful, what was essentially a shitty doujin game done with shitty 3D models, shitty animations and shitty textures didn't deserve any of the storm it created.

When the characters are doing it, the animations are so poor that the tip of penis often clips through the girls' stomachs or back, the actual penetration was just the penis clipping into the other models and it was obvious, the animations were so amateurish that I could have done better (I'm pretty sure they have no idea what inverse-kinematics is) and the dialogue is so poor that the entire game comes together as a laughable mess. It was Day One: Garry's Incident or Air Control tier terrible.

Also, the press coverage of the game caused a huge spike in foreign sales of the title, leading to it being completely sold out and causing a bunch of cash to be thrown right in the direction of the creators. Good job there, clickbait journalists. You gave a shitload of free advertising to something you hate!
Yeah, makes sense really, when you say it like that. But that's exactly what makes me curious about such things. With all the stuff people say about it, or what it looks like in a superficial sense, what is it really that such a game is like? What is it really about? How well is it made? Is there anything interesting about it, if you can stomach it's messed up elements?
That's precisely what makes me curious. But some subjects are just so... Eh.

I mean, I've put this theory to the test with less obviously controversial stuff, and decided I really couldn't deal with the reality, so I got rid of it as soon as I could.

I have one prominent example here, but it's anime, not a game.
I'd seen promos for Ikki Tousen for ages. I knew from it's rating (UK 18 rating specifically), and some aspects of how it was promoted that it had... Questionable elements, but I had to see for myself.
Well, sure, in reality it's just extreme fan service and dubious sexual jokes, but... Watching the first episode made me so uncomfortable I knew I didn't want to see any more.
But, it still shows I was curious enough to see for myself, even though I definitely suspected it would make me uncomfortable even before I looked at it...

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010
Seriously, how could this be more fucked up then song of saya?
I mean wasn't SoS just enough to be the gold standard of fucked up.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Elfgore said:
This game has about 32 different endings, none of them are happy.
Kinda exaggerated though, since there are traditional happy endings with every main heroine any other good ending with any other girl means you have to break Kotonaha's heart but since it's a good ending, she accepts it rather than go Yandere mode.
VanQ said:
Incoming overflow family tree from across the School Days franchise!
Seeing this Translated doesn't make it less confusing lol.....I mean, how many of them are related to Shun Hazama lol

OT of School Days, I've already played all of them except Cross Days....for obvious reasons...

BarryMcCociner

Feb 23, 2015
Five Nights at Freddy's

Cause I'm a scared little teeny weenie baby-man.

Also, Spore. Literally the worst understanding of evolution ever.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
Nice boat.

*twitch*

OT I'd say Dark Souls. Purely because the controls are so shittingly awful. A good portion of the games difficulty comes not from the content but from the horribly implemented controls. Which as far as I'm concerned is a big X against the game.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Shinkicker444 said:
OT I'd say Dark Souls. Purely because the controls are so shittingly awful. A good portion of the games difficulty comes not from the content but from the horribly implemented controls. Which as far as I'm concerned is a big X against the game.
Care to elaborate? Because in my experience Dark Souls is far, far from having bad controls. Well, the jumping controls suck, no doubt, and the control scheme takes some time getting used to. But outright bad controls? I don't see it.