I am not bashing Philosophy.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Crabid said:
Versago said:
Don't question the accepted facts about existance - just accept that existance is as it is and enjoy it.
Discussing anything bieng otherwise is a massive waste of time.
Easier said than done. I have asked myself many times if I would like to believe that everything is not pointless, but I'm not certain I could sacrifice knowledge for peace of mind.

Ignorance is bliss, believe me.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Some bullets said:
Isn't Philosophy pointless?
Irony Alert : Defcon 1
And sorry, but technically that's not ironic.

Edit: In (very recent) hindsight, that was a pretty dickish thing to say, sorry again.
The irony arises from the OP's thread title and first sentence being completely contradictory. That is irony. But your post is also ironic, for like Alanis, you've misunderstood irony.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Philosophy determines our values and beliefs. Every thought we make is philosophy to an extent, so being against philosophy technically means you want humans to become a borg-like race of sub-servient shells of people.
I am sure I'm not the first one, but... Resistance is futile.

blindey

Dec 30, 2008
Some bullets said:
Isn't Philosophy pointless? [snip]
Premise 1 - Philosophy is pointless.
Premise 2 - I make a statement on philosophy
Conclusion - I am pointless

The above is both a valid and true argument.

Merteg

May 9, 2009
I read something like this in a book. One of the characters wondered why everyone debated how many stars were in the sky. He determined it was because they could never be proven wrong.

Capo Taco

Nov 25, 2006
Some bullets said:
New tactic, I think I am right you all think you are right. I will stick to my guns and you to yours. We fight over an idea and get nothing done then making yourself feel superior. There is no way to know who is right and who is wrong. That is why I think philosophy is pointless. Thinking is a wonder in itself but you confuse it with philosophy which muddles it. Does anything truly have a point or are we just deluding ourselves. It's a goddamned sad world and thats true but there is good in it so we learn and cultivate it. We are always going to fight unless knew ideals are born because it sure as hell isn't working now. The thing is we are all in bubble and shut out whhat we see anyways. You hear of the starving children in africa but you don't care you ignore it ,but then again no-one expects you to save them. That right there is sad. ...

This is philosophy a bunch of people in a room yelling there ideas what really gets done?
You're assuming that because you don't listen to other people that nobody ever listens to someone else. I'll have you know that visiting forums has developed my reasoning ability, made me understand other cultures better (notably american culture) and there are a bunch of other things I picked up here and there where I thought I had a strong case, until someone challenged it and I couldn't come up with a good reason not to agree with that challenge.

But it's true if you're set on sticking to your guns that discussion will be meaningless to you.

So then the question is not why do we fight, but why do you fight?

Unreliable

Jul 14, 2009
To the people trying to bring up solipcism (that: how can we know anything at all, how de we know that it isnt all just in our heads and everything doesnt exist)

This position is, in fact, self contained and defensible.

But there is an overwhelming argument against it:

It is a bland, uninteresting dead end. -Karl Popper

Jinx_Dragon

Jan 19, 2009
If you start with the words "I am not trying to" there is a good chance you ARE!

Philosophy is one of the most important things, lacking a lot in todays education on purpose I believe, that a student can learn: How to ask 'why?' The core of philosophy is simply how to sit back, look at events going on around you and then to ponder what could be causing these events.

On the shoulders of philosophy comes invention.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
I would like to add something (if it hasn't been added already). Why act when thinking causes less harm (in most cases), i mean, if you look at what the human race has done to the earth and eachother, wouldn't it be better if people thought more about these things before making decisions as it may help them determine whether or not the action is in the best interest of their target (people's freedom, people's safety, societal function, etc). So overall, i think philosophy is the most important thing we, as humans, can do. If you need examples of human blunders try looking at any war, or when we split the atom, or created planes, or why we made the internet (FYI it was so that the military forces could communicate quickly without risk of being intercepted, and to link all the computers together so that it took less time to accumulate all necessary information).

Crabid

Feb 21, 2008
Nigh Invulnerable said:
The irony arises from the OP's thread title and first sentence being completely contradictory. That is irony. But your post is also ironic, for like Alanis, you've misunderstood irony.
Sigh, no, it is you that misunderstands.

I understand everything though I admit I am being a pedantic git. The OP is ironic yes, the statement on it's own is not.

*runs off to cry somewhere*