I bought a PS4 recently.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
As a result, my current library of games is pretty much embryonic. Through friends-of-friends, paychecks and acts of gratitude, I managed to nab Fallout 4, Destiny, Bloodborne and Resogun as my starting titles. My wishlist on the PSN is already some fifteen titles long, but I'd like to know what some of the more PlayStation literate among you could recommend I try.

I'd like to sample the platform's strengths, for one, and I'm mostly genre-agnostic. I'll try pretty much anything once, except for sports games.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Uncharted 4 is obvious. If you haven't played The Last of Us yet, then get the remaster.

Beyond that, I can't really suggest anything because my tastes are pretty specific.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
You have Bloodborne, yes? Then, if you find you enjoy it, get Dark Souls III as well. I suggest Dark Souls II Scholar of the First Sin, because I love that game, but you may find I'm in the minority there.

Uncharted 4 just came out, so if you're a fan of that series, grab that too. Valkyria Chornicles comes out on the 17th, so if you like games like Fire Emblem, that may be worth your time as well.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I can recommend one. Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth. It's about as old school JRPG as you can get and filled to the brim with grinding. Even if you don't like Digimon, I would still suggest checking it out just because it is a solid game and completely stand alone to anything else Digimon related.

Infamous: Second Son should be pretty cheap by now. So if you can nab it for like ten or fifteen bucks, I'd say go for it. For the most part pretty stand alone from the first two games and just damn fun if you like superhero games.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
I'm just on the cusp of getting one. Got a holiday in June so will probably get one when I return.

What games would be say are must-buys? (e.g. Witcher 3)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Transformers: Devastation (if you don't have it on any other systems), Onechanbara Z2: Chaos, Dynasty Warriors 8: XL Complete Edition, Samurai Warriors 4Take you pick on a Warriors game, but you might enjoy DW more, because it has English voice acting and more content than the former., and Earth Defense Force 4.1. EDF 4.1 is a third-person shooter with 4 different classes where you shoot giant insects, and blow up giant buildings without repercussions. Think of it as the third-person equivalent of Serious Sam. You'll be fighting tons of enemies in the later stages; about 90 of them to be exact.

Skatalite

May 8, 2007
If you haven't played Journey yet, I suggest checking out its PS4 remaster. It's a really beautiful game.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
Uncharted 4 is obvious. If you haven't played The Last of Us yet, then get the remaster.

Beyond that, I can't really suggest anything because my tastes are pretty specific.
Yeah and I would say the remaster collection is worth picking up if you never owned a ps3 (though I would say just start with uncharted 2. 1 hasn't aged great)

Kreett

Constant Contrarian
Nov 20, 2009
The new DOOM is fantastic and runs at 60 fps on ps4 if you're into ultra violence, and I'll parrot the Last of Us and Journey, some of the best games ever made; so good in fact they shouldn't be playstation exclusive in my opinion.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Tearaway Unfolded is a port of the original Vita game, and I've heard nothing but good things about it. 3D platformers are a dying breed on non-Nintendo consoles, and here came a clever little new IP a few years ago. If Dark Souls 3 didn't exist (DS3 is great btw if you don't play on PC. DS2 also good and on PS4), I would be playing it right now.

Ratchet and Clank 2016 also great if you're into 3D platformers. Story sucks, but the game itself is great despite being a remake (and I'm seeing people like Miracle of Sound and Angry Joe play it as their first game in the series, and they seem to love it). It's also cheaper than most other PS4 games at $40 in the USA, and it's still a fairly meaty game at that price.

Tatsuki

Nov 9, 2014
Well one thing I suggest everyone as it was a very underrated game at the time because of the niche market is Valkyria Chronicles. They have re released it on the ps4 (a ps3 title) and if you are a fan of turn based RPGs this is a nice fresh take on it.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
People have mentioned already some good picks, i'll try and include some extras;

Outlast, for some pure survival horror. The sequel is due this fall. I am excited to see what these talented developers can do now.

Until Dawn, An exclusive and probably cheap enough now. An intriguing and surprisingly immersive story with great recognisable actors.

Killzone: Shadow Fall. Exclusive, one of the better examples of modern sci-fi FPSs, open areas, stealthy stabby option etc.

Rocket League. No questions, it is required as one of your 5-a-day intake. This is coming from someone who also does not enjoy sports games. ;)

Transistor. Is it exclusive? I do not know. If you like supergiantgames style or not, this is a unique title.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
This is actually a pretty useful thread since I'd like to get a ps4 to play uncharted but obviously won't buy a whole system to just play one or two games.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
From my own wishlist: Arkham Knight, Bloodborne, Dying Light and Uncharted 4. The Last of Us as well if you didn't play it on PS3.