I Bought a Satellite and All I Got Was This Stupid News Post

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Tenmar said:
AS for IPv6? No way we are running out of that especially since we are going from 32-bit to 128 bit and it hasn't even been released to the average consumer or being used by most ISP companies.
Yet you still need it to run a Windows Homegroup for some dumb reason, which I of course can't get set up because my Verizon router doesn't support it. Grrrr ... I need to call them and see if they have any better routers available, stupid thing doesn't even support Wireless-n.

But yeah - IPv6 will give us an utterly ridiculous number of IP addresses once it becomes widely supported.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Ermm... faster than the speed of light? No. Surely they're planning on beaming this from the satellite with waves that travel at ostensibly less than the speed of light?

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
McMullen said:
"The internet spreads ideas and information faster than the speed of light and brings enlightenment to all it touches"

Apparently enlightenment doesn't include knowing that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.
That depends on if they edited the wiki before or after the press release.

Harmondale2

Nov 18, 2009
Yes thats what those starving african children need! Free internet! Yay!

yeah calling it a human right is absurd, yeah I love my internet, but I would not die without it... human rights starts with stuff that keeps you alive, right?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Lukeje said:
Ermm... faster than the speed of light? No. Surely they're planning on beaming this from the satellite with waves that travel at ostensibly less than the speed of light?
Eh, no to both.

Obscure theories aside, nothing can go faster than light.

But, a satellite usually broadcasts radio signals of some kind, which is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, which is, in short, a form of light.

Thus, it the satellite will transmit at the speed of light precisely.
(minus the lag for the satellite to reprocess and retransmit whatever signals it is getting.)

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Im having a flashback of pirates tying weather balloons on a server.

Mazty said:
...claiming the internet is a "human right" is absurd. When the internet is better monitored with the illegal & dangerous content removed, sure, then claim it as a right, but before then, tread carefully as we've seen in Egypt what modern communications can result in (not to mention the countless paedophiles arrested).
Yeah, those damn jihads and their human rights should suck it...

KeyMaster45 said:
Huh, okay. I want to rebut this but could you elaborate a little more on what you mean? Especially that last bit. Are you implying that the internet is responsible for what's going on in Egypt?
Internet gave them anonymous mask to speak how they actually feel under the tyranny and united them. Internet also keeps encouraging their actions and gives them "the only" form of free speach they have atm against injustice.

So yeah. You might as well blame it on the internet.

Getting sleepy..typos..Internet is becoming a human right, yes. I know people on escapist like to talk about how everything they own is luxury item, but yeah. Internet is slowly growning so huge and replacing our usual..stuff, that denying it from people really limits their human rights. And stuff.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
CrystalShadow said:
Lukeje said:
Eh, no to both.

Obscure theories aside, nothing can go faster than light.

But, a satellite usually broadcasts radio signals of some kind, which is part of the electromagnetic spectrum, which is, in short, a form of light.

Thus, it the satellite will transmit at the speed of light precisely.
(minus the lag for the satellite to reprocess and retransmit whatever signals it is getting.)
No; it will have to travel through the atmosphere. The atmosphere is not a vacuum. Thus it will travel at a speed of light, but not the speed generally referred to as `The speed of light'.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
We are hardly at the point where the internet is a "human right" or need.

But I do applaud their efforts and hate to see anything electronic that still works go to waste. If I had the dough I would get the tshirt. Wish they had a donation inbetween for a mug that said the same thing. (Except for "mug" in place of "tshirt")

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
Seems a tad... ambitious. As others have said, simply supplying a signal won't go very far towards securing this "Human Right". Also, say I sign up for this service and find the connection to be poor or busted. Will there be someone I can call and talk to? You'll need to pay those people. Then there's maintenance and connection upgrading as technology improves and all this other stuff that just isn't free. Will all this be taken care of by donation alone? Without the hard plans in front of me, I remain skeptical. But, who am I to nay-say?

GL you crazy kids, you.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
cursedseishi said:
And apparently you've never taken College physics and heard of the idea of Tachyon particles, which do travel faster than light. It's a hard thing to prove, the same like anything in science. Its easier to say it doesn't exist, than it does.
I had assumed that hypothetical particles are not yet integrated into communications technology. Perhaps since I took it, physics has advanced to the point where you don't need to confirm a thing exists before actually using it, but that's what I get for being old.

saejox

Mar 4, 2009
what if we couldnt buy the satallite?
i dont want to donate money to a cause i dont support.

i sense scam.

Angryman101

Aug 7, 2009
This would be awesome, if everybody had a computer capable of using that wireless signal.
The gifts you get back are kind of dumb, though.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, interesting idea, and I can see a lot of pros and cons to the idea. I believe the spread of information is important to unifying the planet which I see as a nessecity (as I've said before). The spread of ideas being very central to it, especially to begin with.

The cons to this idea of course are the simple facts that I can't imagine a lot of big information companies that aren't backing this being happy about it. After all free Internet destroys their revenue stream, and while those markets primarily being targeted are ones they can't deal with, big businesses typically feel the idea is to hold onto the product so if the nations develop they can sell it to them, rather than giving it away for free. I honestly can actually sympathize with the people who would be losing a potential future market, and understand why they might be upset. I think the plan is crazy enough to have not seen any immediate response, but if it looks close to happening I can see a pretty big battle happening.

Another con to this idea is of course being able to trust the people being given this, if all else goes according to plan. I mean they want this to be unregulated from how it sounds (though I could be wrong about that), and that raises concerns from me given what usually happens when the second and third world gets their hands on new technology. I just recently was taking about the "pay line" scams that we saw being as thick as flies a decade or so ago when second and third would countries got the abillity to do it. We've had enough trouble from all of these cons coming from countries like Nigeria as it is, without compounding the problem a thousand fold.

See, I'll be the first to tell you that it's a beautiful vision to think of people getting access to something new, and then taking advantage of it to increase their standard of living and live better and more productive lives. I'm sure the guys setting this up are thinking about the possibilities for things like education, and giving poorer nations a bigger voice in the international community... however that's rarely how these things work out. The first thing the world community is liable to notice is a bunch of people from third world countries who ignore international law running scams and causing havoc, people, especially desperate people, don't tend to think in terms of long term benefits, but in terms of how they can get something in their hands right then.

Also as someone pointed out already, The Internet being a basic human right is kind of laughable as an idea when you consider issues like food, clean water, clothing, and shelter which are all in short supply in the places this is supposed to reach. I mean how are these guys going to have computers to receive the internet, never mind the power infrastructure to run them? Do we have the peacecorps try and build these things and give away computers bought with charity donations? If so how do we prevent Warlords from killing that idea almost instantly?

These parts of the world are wretched because there is only so much in terms of resources on the planet, and we're already straining our supply, hence all the issues with clearcutting forests, strip mining, and oil depletion. There isn't enough for everyone on the planet to have a decent standard of living, and it blows chips, but the guys we're talking about are the big losers. Even the guys doing this charity are hardly thinking in terms of wanting to change placces with them, or give up all their stuff. The problem here is a truely huge one, and one that isn't going to be solved until we find a way to get more resources through space travel or whatever. In the overall scope of things, The Internet hardly seems like a priority.

As I said, I see pros and cons to it, in the end if people want to invest the money in it, I'm not going to flat out say it's a horrible idea, but I'll be surprised if what happens actually manages the vision in the heads of those setting it up.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Snowalker said:
This sounds good and all... until you realize we've already ran out of IP addresses...
The real problem is that a single satellite cannot provide service to the entire world. The footprint of your average communications satellite is relatively modest (perhaps sufficient to cover the majority of a continent). Given that I have serious doubts that this satellite was positioned over a portion of the world without ready access to the internet already, it really doesn't offer much. Beyond that there are the natural limits of the system itself (a single communication satellite can only handle so much data at a given moment so I wouldn't expect them to hand out high speed packages).

All in all, the idea is nice but it will do little to bridge the very real technological divide in the world.