I Can't Stop Playing Plague, Inc.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Formica Archonis said:
Falterfire said:
Isn't this EXACTLY Pandemic? I mean, point-for-point. The only difference is Greenland and Madagascar swapped?
Same basic idea, yeah. But Pandemic as I recall never had anything like the Neurax Worm [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW1NkPQ_2_g].

Worship the worm.
That's one hell of a nasty disease. I like the idea how you don't actually have to kill anyone with it to complete your goal.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Yeah, Plague Inc. is quite similar to Pandemic, but it is more varied in what symptoms you can get, and the varieties of kinds of pathogens adds new dimensions and replay value to it that are a lot of fun. For instance, there's 'Bioweapon', which develops in such a way where you have to tailor it so that it DOESN'T just kill everyone.

But yeah, had a lot of fun with Pandemic way back when.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Smiley Face said:
Yeah, Plague Inc. is quite similar to Pandemic, but it is more varied in what symptoms you can get, and the varieties of kinds of pathogens adds new dimensions and replay value to it that are a lot of fun. For instance, there's 'Bioweapon', which develops in such a way where you have to tailor it so that it DOESN'T just kill everyone.

But yeah, had a lot of fun with Pandemic way back when.

Ninjas. Damn.

OT: Pandemic was pretty fun. Too bad I don't have a smartphone of any description, or this would probably be a nice little Greenland I mean time-killer.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm confused.

Every time I play, I start in Greenland or Russia for the cold-weather resistance at start.

This game is Pandemic with extra features, one of them being the ability to pick your starting location, so I have no idea how this is difficult to comprehend.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Scrythe said:
I'm confused.

Every time I play, I start in Greenland or Russia for the cold-weather resistance at start.

This game is Pandemic with extra features, one of them being the ability to pick your starting location, so I have no idea how this is difficult to comprehend.
It's more rewarding to get into Greenland/Madagascar vs. just starting there.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Scrythe said:
I'm confused.

Who said it was hard to comprehend? I'm not sure I understand the nature of your confusion.

Antitonic said:
Scrythe said:
I'm confused.

It's more rewarding to get into Greenland/Madagascar vs. just starting there.
Exactly!

Johnny Wishbone said:
I'll just leave this here:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/shut-down-everything

Clearly the Escapist has been paid off to review/advertise/push this game as if it's a completely original idea...
Oh, clearly, eh? I love how blithely you malign my integrity, rather than just thinking, hey, maybe she just really likes the bloody game.

When I say I enjoy a game, it's because I enjoy the game. My opinions are not for sale.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I see a lot of comparison to pandemic.
Yes, its precisely modeled off pandemic.
But Plague Inc does it better.

I'd like different symptom trees for the various types of diseases-- few parasites transmit by air, for example.

I picked it up just the other day and have barreled through normal mode (i really liked nanovirus, as the cure research started immediately, the only real strategic change).

I completed Virus on Brutal, and the world shall fall six more times to my viciousness.

I haven't noticed the greenland problem. Actually, because I favor cold weather resistance and waterborne traits, I have a harder time getting into deep subsaharan africa by late game and often have to add bloodborne traits to get its teeth into those populations.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
Hey! There's a Pandemic flash game? I was thinking of the board game.
http://www.zmangames.com/boardgames/pandemic.htm
I've played both. They're completely different. The board game is great fun, though. But I admit that I never play it on the hardest skill level because I like to, you know, win occasionally.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Oh this looks like fun, i cant believe i'm actually looking forward to going to work tomorrow, so i can slack off with the Android Tablet...

*eyes Greenland*

AusGamer44

Mar 24, 2011
I downloaded this game after I heard Susan talk about it on the podcast.Greenland is TOUGH!I have found recently though that if you start in a cold/rural country like Ukraine,resulting in a virus that evolves in the cold,you get Greenland a LOT sooner.Also,you have to watch all those island nations.I kept failing with a population of about 25 million left and couldn't figure out why.Then I realised I kept forgetting the Caribbean and/or New Zealand.Oopsies!
Also,there's been an update with a new disease that causes zombies.ZOMBIES!If you zombify enough people the cure becomes irrelevent.The neurax mind control disease with the rogue planes that take infected people around the world even during an air traffic lockdown is very cool too.
Great game,but VERY hard.I've spent WAY too many hours playing it.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Greenland has only rarely thwarted my efforts. The one loss that really had me scratching my head was the time Botswana survived.

Fenris97

Mar 17, 2011
Huh, I've never really found Greenland (and Iceland) that difficult after my first playthrough. Also, I always start in Canada, and just level infectivity through transmission. And then we wait, till all the world is infected, before I spend my last points on getting Total Organ Failure and Coma.
Neat game, but I'm starting to get tired of it.