I don't get it.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
GrimTuesday said:
Why is it it that by and large, there is widespread apathy if not outright hostility towards sports. I mean, sure some times, a person just isn't interested in something, but this seems to be a culture of apathy or hostility.
I never liked it, probably because I have low energy, and the inability to grow muscle. Also it was confusing as hell for me, being unable to figure out who was on what team - it was always pre-picked and my short term memory is atrocious.

Its kind of funny that for a subculture that is supposedly into math and science that games like baseball aren't more popular, considering the fact that Sabermetics (a way of predicting and rating players based on objective analysis and math) is all the rage these days.
Sabermetics? That is a seriously awesome name for a branch of mathematics.

I didn't really get bullied by Jock guys. I was bullied more by the girls. I also fought back, so I didn't become afraid of bullies - they pretty much backed off when I hit them in the neck or lifted them half my height and shoved bark in their mouths. Thus earning me a bit of a reputation. But then I'm a psychopath. It's not the same for others, and they would connotate bullies with football.

Swordfighting, as well as the eastern kind of martial arts (they're both 'arts martial'), archery, paintball skirmishes, and darts are all pretty cool (darts is a game that rewards dexterity, not slamming them into the board with brute strength, as I've seen drunk asshole types do - typically with the dart bouncing off the board.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Sports are boring. That is literally my only feeling towards them. I understand the general mechanics of most sports, and even played a couple in high school, and can appreciate the depth present in some of them, but ultimately I consider them to be uninteresting. The only sports I actively enjoy watching are fighting sports, which in and of itself is a bit of a nerdy stereotype I guess (especially liking paintballing/airsoft, martial arts and swords). Thankfully, I'm not a sword guy. I've never met a "sword guy" that I liked.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I actually really enjoy sports, hockey in particular, and i have various teams I follow (Let that white elephant roll!).

But I dont know, maybe its bad memories of mistreatment by jocks but i dont think its taht stereotypical (Not to mention petty as hell). maybe its just a disinterest cause the two are opposites of sorts. or maybe its just a dis interest entirely.

besides, most any complaint you can level against a football/futbol (whatever place your from), basketball, hockey, baseball, etc etc star can be leveled against the pro gamers or chess masters or whatever "sport" people want ot justify as elegant and sophisticated so I dont see the point in being against them.

... but then again I've never really been one of htose elitist/"purists" types that thinks nerd culture should be exclusive and the "Fakers" and casual gamers should be ridiculed.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I used to play a lot of footbal in elementary school but that is about it. I don't like watching them and I don't like talking aboout them which is a shame since it would make friend meetings a hell a lot less awkward for me when the others throw around figures and names I don't understand at all.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Sports are another type of game.

It'd be like asking me why I don't like to watch some matches of League of Legends. Because it's boring.

I don't watch the super bowl just like I don't watch the starcraft finals. Not interesting.

So this is like asking why people don't like certain games.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
For me, I just think sports are super boring. Like... holy shit how can somebody watch this for hours? It's so mindlessly boring.

I don't see the appeal of spectator sports. They're so dull, long-winded (I heard somewhere that only ~11 minutes of any American football broadcast is actual play?) and monotonous.

And why do the fans root for a certain team? Why do they care? How do they even choose "their" team to begin with?

WalrusPowers

Mar 30, 2011
I make the effort not to be an asshole to people who like different things than me. People who do not do this can fuck off.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Sports are what jocks nerd out about.

Nerds generally associate negative memories with jocks.

Bam.

Personally, I just don't find sports very interesting. They're boring for me to watch, I don't care about the commentary because I have little interest in the subject matter, and the games all last for so long with the same exact thing happening over and over and over again. Oh hey, a man is running down a field/court with a ball. I'll come back half an hour later, bet the same thing will still be happening!

I can understand why other people like it, but eh, not for me.
Pretty much this. It may be a stereotype, but it's surprisingly true in quite a few cases, generally, nerds are academically talented and inclined, and generally, sporty types tend to shy away from it. Neither party may be bad at the other thing necessarily, but they generally don't seem to have enthusiasm for both. Thus, they naturally don't tend to get along, and thus, nerds can end up growing up with a negative opinion of sport.

Never mind the state sanctioned public humiliation and torture that is PE/gym class. I'll agree that such a thing can be important, but it's done in such a wrong way. It divides people socially by their physical skill, it makes people attempt things they may not be good at in public where, kids being kids, they will be laughed at. I'm not sure how it should be done, but not that way, it discourages anyone who isn't a natural athlete from attempting further to improve themselves.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
It's the whole "them vs us" mentality. Jocks vs Nerds... PC vs console... etc.

People just don't feel comfortable without someone to hate :p

Personally I don't care for watching sports, but I do like playing them.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
Man I fucking hate maths. Had never really thought about that being in sports, but now that you've pointed that out I hate them even more!

Well I usually like playing a sport myself with some friends, and was always way into it during PE in school. What I really hate is the ridiculous amounts of money that gets passed around in organized sports.
And the really obnoxious types, that always end up bothering me with this I don't care about, seemingly because I don't care about it and this makes their little brains hurt ever so much, they're into it so much for pretty much the exact same reasons I'm into games.

So I will stop hating on sports when professional gamers are getting paid millions per match, even if they lose. Well, probably not. It's more likely I will start hating on E sports then too.

I also hate that any time there's European Championship or World Championship for kickball, you can't go anywhere without being bombarded with bandwagonism. Even your fucking groceries get slathered in propaganda, and I just end up wishing my country loses in the first round so I won't have to suffer perpetual headaches from the entire world being orange anymore.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
I personally love sports. Endurance ones specifically.

Running, rowing, cycling etc.

Not much fun in watching them. As for nerds hating sports it's really about as irrational as any subculture hating any other subculture.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
Sports are... pointless. Watching them is the very definition of boredom - it doesn't matter if the blue team beats the green team or vice versa. In the end nothing is achieved, the outcome of a match doesn't alter the world in any significant way.

Sure, some of them can be fun to participate in, but only as a way to kill time. And frankly, I can think of much better ways to kill time...

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
GrimTuesday said:
I'm not saying its different than those examples you listed, but its one of those thing that the vast majority of people have a least a casual interest in sports
I think that's the problem, it's like when you tell someone that you don't like... say... pizza. Half the people in the room go "You don't like pizza? What's wrong with you?" and then you get defensive and it just sort of escalates from there.

Bestival said:
Man I fucking hate maths. Had never really thought about that being in sports, but now that you've pointed that out I hate them even more!
Do you know how a computer runs your games? It does MATHS! Ludicrous amounts of maths! MWAHAHAHA

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
Well... Most sports are incredibly boring...

Take for example one of the most popular - Football. It's a bunch of dude trying to kick a ball into a massive net, big whoop children start playing that at like age 4.

Other sports are more interesting, I use to play Basketball when I was in high school which is fun and slightly more challenging, I also watched extreme dodgeball on t.v. due to it being entertaining to watch (They threw the balls at onwards of 60 MPH and had to try and dodge them/catch them)

While now I watch eSports - The "Nerd" sports which are very entertaining to watch as it's a lot of mental battling as well as physical skill instead of "Kick ball into net - Get paid several million pounds"

theparsonski

May 29, 2010
Nightvalien said:
...also most athletes tend to become murderers even when they have all the money in the world, that kind of corruption and glorification really turns me off.
Um... what? o_O

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
I don't find them interesting. There is way too much money in them. And I can't support a team. I don't understand how anyone cane be such a huge fan of any team. I am unable to invest emotionally in a team's ability to carry or kick or hit a ball around. And I don't understand how other people can to the point of violence.

Once all of that is explained to me, maybe I will enjoy sports, but I doubt it. Because they are still boring as shit.

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
Much like others, it's due to the boredom associated with all sports, and the god like reverance that all Sports competitors seem to get. Why do they deserve it when we should put Scientists, Mathematicians and Writers in their spot? That's why I dislike sport. Because the players are 'heroes' and us social outcasts who learn things to better the whole of society are essentially the 'Nobodies'. Not villains, just not as important as they should be.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
I'll enjoy a good game of football (either kind) but I find that your average game of your average sport is just a tad dull.

Athletes are admirably awesome, though.