I don't get it...

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Let me start by saying that this is NOT a "stop liking what I don't like" thread. Rather, it's about those times that something becomes crazy popular and you just sort of scratch your head in confusion.

For me, I don't get all the hype surrounding Frozen. I thought the story was decent at best, and the music was far below Disney's usual quality. In fact, I though it was probably one of their weakest soundtracks. The cast ranged from okay (the ice princess) to terrible (the snowman). All in all, I didn't think it was a bad movie by any means, and some of the themes were quite good. I just thought it didn't live up to Pixar and classic Disney, and didn't live up to its own potential.

Yet, to my surprise, Frozen rode the hype train all the way to the Oscars. It beat Miyazakis latest movie, and Let it Go was performed at the Oscars. It has also been played on the radio in some places. I also hear people calling it the best film since The Lion King and The Little Mermaid. In the end I just sort of shrug my shoulders and wonder what I'm missing out on.

So what about you? When were those time you just didn't "get" it?

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
Haven't seen Frozen but intend to.
Watched "Let it go" though.

Seems likely to hit a chord with the current generation due to the popular idea of "be yourself, express yourself, please yourself".

You know, the one leading to all the "special snowflake syndromes" and hipsters bodging bits of counter-culture to themselves in desperate, but lazy and thoughtless attempts to be more individual.

AdrianCeltigar

Jan 8, 2011
Moviebob did a whole article on Frozen, which might help you understand the wave of praise it's getting. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/moviebob/10778-Lets-Talk-About-the-Ending-of-Frozen

This happens to me all the time - the one that currently boggles my mind is Attack on Titan though. The internet is in love with it, and people everywhere are singing its praises. I have absolutely no understanding of why it's so popular, or what's supposedly so special about it.

Autumnflame

Sep 18, 2008
why watchmen is popular. for someone who watched the movie without reading the comics.
I just didnt understand the hype. For me personally i was bored and counted it worse movie ive seen

i get that others love it. but i dont personally. just not for me.

and i am a fan of the so bad its good B movies genre

GoodNewsOke

Jan 30, 2014
Well sometimes simply manages to "click" with the general mood of the time. It doesn't need to be particularly great, it just needs "something". Whatever that is.

The thing I will probably never get is GTA IV. Sure, it is technically impressive; decent graphics in a big open world with no load times to speak of. Okay, but the rest of the game? The clunky controls, the lack of a consistent atmosphere, the terribly slow pacing? Characters where either annoying, pointless or both. And not one worthwhile side activity.

Last I checked the game had like a 95+ on metacritic. many reviews gave the game a perfect score. I just don't get it and probably never will. It#s not so much about not liking the game, it's more about not understanding why this game is apparently considered perfect.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Fox12 said:
Let me start by saying that this is NOT a "stop liking what I don't like" thread. Rather, it's about those times that something becomes crazy popular and you just sort of scratch your head in confusion.

For me, I don't get all the hype surrounding Frozen. I thought the story was decent at best, and the music was far below Disney's usual quality. In fact, I though it was probably one of their weakest soundtracks. The cast ranged from okay (the ice princess) to terrible (the snowman). All in all, I didn't think it was a bad movie by any means, and some of the themes were quite good. I just thought it didn't live up to Pixar and classic Disney, and didn't live up to its own potential.

Yet, to my surprise, Frozen rode the hype train all the way to the Oscars. It beat Miyazakis latest movie, and Let it Go was performed at the Oscars. It has also been played on the radio in some places. I also hear people calling it the best film since The Lion King and The Little Mermaid. In the end I just sort of shrug my shoulders and wonder what I'm missing out on.

Oh that happens all the time, especially when politics are intertwined with pop culture. Not to mention in some cases "not getting it" isn't unusual, and you'll find a lot of people in the same position. It's a common thing to promote something like it's the most popular thing ever, hoping that by touting it enough it will become true. Part of the thing about Hollywood and the way the system works is that strings can be pulled all the way up to the Oscar level especially by big companies like Disney. While it was one of my favorite movies, I seem to remember some controversy years ago over how "Aladdin" got to be the show at the Oscars (the magic carpet musical number).

When it comes to Frozen in particular:

Listen to Bob's thing on it, and it pretty much spells it out, and shows the political angle... which he happens to support. Basically "Frozen" is a political piece where despite not being that wonderful it subverts a lot of the usual Disney tropes such as "love at first site" the usual "damsel in distress" schtick, and of course the classic portrayal of "Prince Charming". A lot of which is taken as a very pro-feminist, pro-liberal, stance from a company that has in the past been a whipping boy for liberals due to Disney tending to present a more traditional status quo. What's more the "Ice Princess" and her big musical number, including some of her finishing body language, and lack of a strong male lead, have lead a lot of people to conclude she's supposed to be a lesbian even if it's not explicitly stated, leading to some embracement by the gay rights community, and some pressure on Disney to "hey just come out and say it" as people gleefully prepare to have a Lesbian inserted into the Disney Princess line.

Basically, it's something that a lot of Hollywood liberals, really, really like. It's also taken as a sign of even more change being forced on Disney. To the other half of the population who aren't liberals, or to a lot of liberals who aren't that extreme, it's easy to sort of "not get it" because taken on it's own merits it's one of Disney's weaker movies. The messages aren't even that outrageous, and truthfully unless you've read articles talking about it, most people hadn't even considered the lesbian angle since there seems to be a bit of hopeful projection there from certain quarters.

Personally, I don't even think there was that much of a political message here either. I think Disney was largely just goofing off with their own tropes, when they had a dearth of ideas. This was actually something they allegedly wanted to do for a while, but couldn't think of a way to make it work.

That said if your wondering why some people lionize this movie, and why it's been so heavily pushed and promoted, that's why. It's also why a lot of people who don't look for politics in their entertainment (or care about the message when present as long as it's a good story) or come from the other 50% of the political spectrum, are saying they don't get it over one of Disney's most mediocre efforts. Your hardly the only one.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Coppernerves said:
Haven't seen Frozen but intend to.
Watched "Let it go" though.

Seems likely to hit a chord with the current generation due to the popular idea of "be yourself, express yourself, please yourself".

You know, the one leading to all the "special snowflake syndromes" and hipsters bodging bits of counter-culture to themselves in desperate, but lazy and thoughtless attempts to be more individual.
Seems like you keep your lawn well-manicured and un-trampled. :)

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Although my avatar might imply otherwise (to be fair, that musical number was great), I personally don't think Frozen was an exceptional Disney movie. It was good, and did some nice things with the story which made it in some ways slightly more interesting than standard Disney fare, but not exceptional.

I'll join others in saying that the implied political agenda might have a lot to do with Frozen's popularity, especially when it comes to the Oscars. For my part, I think Frozen had a couple of nice female role models, but I refuse to acknowledge it as a piece of feminist or LGBT media.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
GoodNewsOke said:
Well sometimes simply manages to "click" with the general mood of the time. It doesn't need to be particularly great, it just needs "something". Whatever that is.

The thing I will probably never get is GTA IV. Sure, it is technically impressive; decent graphics in a big open world with no load times to speak of. Okay, but the rest of the game? The clunky controls, the lack of a consistent atmosphere, the terribly slow pacing? Characters where either annoying, pointless or both. And not one worthwhile side activity.

Last I checked the game had like a 95+ on metacritic. many reviews gave the game a perfect score. I just don't get it and probably never will. It#s not so much about not liking the game, it's more about not understanding why this game is apparently considered perfect.
I can't speak for anyone else but one of the reasons I love GTA IV is because of Niko Bellic. For me he was just a really good sympathetic character kinda like John Marston.

On Topic: Something I don't get is why some games get a Collector's Edition on consoles but not on PC. While I love Steam if I can get a physical copy of a PC game I will usually get that.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Fox12 said:
OPs post.
Well, according to @Therumancer most people missed or don't think the film was about "coming out". I don't think it could have been more obvious unless it had a lesbian make-out session at the end. The reversal of the rest of the stuff (love at first site, prince charming) I didn't really think that important, they're real world obvious and fairly ubiquitous in other media. They're just big deals because this is a Disney film, who the LGBT and gender equality crowd don't like.

phoenixlink said:
As my avatar may imply, I liked the film. But, like you I've never read the comic nor had I ever heard of it before seeing it. I liked it because it felt real and alive, blue penis god included.

GoodNewsOke said:
This is one of those critics-rate-it-higher-than-players games. Its individual pieces are fantastic, just as a whole the thing falls a bit flat.

Edit: Hah, forgot to add my own.

MLP, its a kids cartoon. Big whoop.

Anime, nothing has ever grabbed me. I don't know why, it has enough genres that something should have clicked but never has.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
GundamSentinel said:
Although my avatar might imply otherwise (to be fair, that musical number was great), I personally don't think Frozen was an exceptional Disney movie. It was good, and did some nice things with the story which made it in some ways slightly more interesting than standard Disney fare, but not exceptional.

I'll join others in saying that the implied political agenda might have a lot to do with Frozen's popularity, especially when it comes to the Oscars. For my part, I think Frozen had a couple of nice female role models, but I refuse to acknowledge it as a piece of feminist or LGBT media.
Wait... some people consider it LGBT media? Where in the film do they say exists any LGBT message at all?

I suppose I could see the feminist argument only in so far that it sends the message that you don't have to be what people expect you to be. Female agency and all that.

windlenot

Archeoastronomist
Mar 27, 2011
Hell, I look at GTA V. People look at being so excellent and incredible, GOTY 2013! I dunno, we all agree the multiplayer was rubbish, but even the singleplayer I have troubles getting into. I don't really like any of the characters, and I don't care about them nor do I their story. I do enjoy the world and the environment, but I stopped getting my money's worth of fucking around in a crime sandbox back in Vice City. And at least that had decent radio stations!

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
GundamSentinel said:

Well to be fair real feminism is about women getting equal respect, and is not anti-men. Anyone implying that women are any better than men are just being silly.

And LGBT people more often than not feel they have to hide who they are from everyone around them. So it isn't hard to see how the film touches on the values and experiences of these groups even if it's not openly endorsing them.

Fappy said:
Wait... some people consider it LGBT media? Where in the film do they say exists any LGBT message at all?

I suppose I could see the feminist argument only in so far that it sends the message that you don't have to be what people expect you to be. Female agency and all that.
The characters aren't LGBT but the whole 'hide who you are so they world doesn't hate you' thing hits close to home for a lot of actual LGBT people. :eek:

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Therumancer said:
Fox12 said:

Oh that happens all the time, especially when politics are intertwined with pop culture. Not to mention in some cases "not getting it" isn't unusual, and you'll find a lot of people in the same position. It's a common thing to promote something like it's the most popular thing ever, hoping that by touting it enough it will become true. Part of the thing about Hollywood and the way the system works is that strings can be pulled all the way up to the Oscar level especially by big companies like Disney. While it was one of my favorite movies, I seem to remember some controversy years ago over how "Aladdin" got to be the show at the Oscars (the magic carpet musical number).

When it comes to Frozen in particular:

Listen to Bob's thing on it, and it pretty much spells it out, and shows the political angle... which he happens to support. Basically "Frozen" is a political piece where despite not being that wonderful it subverts a lot of the usual Disney tropes such as "love at first site" the usual "damsel in distress" schtick, and of course the classic portrayal of "Prince Charming". A lot of which is taken as a very pro-feminist, pro-liberal, stance from a company that has in the past been a whipping boy for liberals due to Disney tending to present a more traditional status quo. What's more the "Ice Princess" and her big musical number, including some of her finishing body language, and lack of a strong male lead, have lead a lot of people to conclude she's supposed to be a lesbian even if it's not explicitly stated, leading to some embracement by the gay rights community, and some pressure on Disney to "hey just come out and say it" as people gleefully prepare to have a Lesbian inserted into the Disney Princess line.

Basically, it's something that a lot of Hollywood liberals, really, really like. It's also taken as a sign of even more change being forced on Disney. To the other half of the population who aren't liberals, or to a lot of liberals who aren't that extreme, it's easy to sort of "not get it" because taken on it's own merits it's one of Disney's weaker movies. The messages aren't even that outrageous, and truthfully unless you've read articles talking about it, most people hadn't even considered the lesbian angle since there seems to be a bit of hopeful projection there from certain quarters.

Personally, I don't even think there was that much of a political message here either. I think Disney was largely just goofing off with their own tropes, when they had a dearth of ideas. This was actually something they allegedly wanted to do for a while, but couldn't think of a way to make it work.

That said if your wondering why some people lionize this movie, and why it's been so heavily pushed and promoted, that's why. It's also why a lot of people who don't look for politics in their entertainment (or care about the message when present as long as it's a good story) or come from the other 50% of the political spectrum, are saying they don't get it over one of Disney's most mediocre efforts. Your hardly the only one.
Yeah, I personally agreed with a lot of messages being presented, I think most people would. I've always just been of the mind that a movie needs to be well executed on top of having a strong theme. If you miss one, you're losing out on our potential.

Interesting tidbit, I hear that apparently the store owner is, in fact, a homosexual. When you see a brief glimpse of his family, apparently his spouse was a man, and his children are therefore adopted. If that's the case, I can certainly see why Progressives are embracing the film. Still, I don't think it's fair to compare Frozen to The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, or even recent films like UP, which I do think were fairly brilliant, whereas Frozen felt somewhat average.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
>_>

<_____>

<_________>

<______<

Metal.

I dun geddit. It's not as harsh as noise, it's not as melody-driven as classical, it's not as lyrically punchy as hip-hop, it's not as fun as pop, it's not as flowing as dance, it's not as technical as non-dance electronic, it's not as moody as ambient, and it's not as interesting as experimental stuff. It's the ultimate in "middling everything", with the only thing making it stand out is its volume.

That's not to say I don't appreciate metal or respect it as a decent music genre, but the sheer number of "metal or die" metalheads truly baffles me. Just... why? Electroheads and hip-hop addicts makes sense to me. Classical elitists make sense. I even get ravers. But metalheads? I dun geddit. I have to be in a very specific mood to really enjoy metal.

And if anyone's going to reflexively link me to Gojira (again) or Meshuggah (again) to show me what I'm missing, I'm going to reflexively link you to Blank Banshee, Aphex Twin, Jon Hopkins, Avicii, Azealia Banks, Pharmakon, Brian Eno, and Lizst. Just so you're warned.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
When people actively hate things.
So many people nowadays seem to think they're Batman on some kind of crusade, and whenever they see something they don't like, they start insulting everyone.

Business is Business, and if something makes bad business you don't buy it and it eventually dies. And if it doesn't die, it's not bad business, that's how it works.
We might not like the way it works with all the Cods and Blops, but we don't need people insulting each other, either.

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
I really don't get The Witcher.

I have made more than one attempt to get into the first game and also tried to play the second instalment as well, but I just can't get into them at all.

I don't understand at all why not, as it is completely my type of game. I love big RPGs, big amounts of story, care little about action and love dark/gritty environments/tones - these games have all of this.

It literally looks like my perfect game series, from the outside. But in practice it just falls flat. I don't know why, but it does.

I'm not mad at people liking it, I'm jealous.