I Dont Know: Anonymous are they they the Good guys????

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
Anon is a mob mentality that doesn't need a mob. They hear something, dont do anything to figure out the truth about it, and screw with it.

The funny thing is, when taking on big corporations, they do DDoS for a few days and get distracted, but when it comes to individuals, they pretty much ruin their lives because they think it's funny. Essentially they do less damage to people that derserve it and way more to those that dont.

They're about as evil as any mob.

Switchblade1080

Apr 5, 2011
Anonymous is a bodiless entity, the very manifestation of chaos. In Dragon Age terms, "Fade Incarnate". I say "Fade Incarnate" because....Read the Spirit Healer subclass description.

Anonymous is composed of countless personalities, they do not work together and would in fact fight against themselves. Infamously mistook for a brooding beast, Anonymous is not always evil. One anonymous may be controlled by more two or more users ON PURPOSE. Anonymous is not always a troll, in fact...some people bearing Anonymous are weak-willed, naive, and even philanthropic in nature. However, Anonymous can completely use these traits and disguise itself as a "good" person. So far, the dominant persona of Anonymous is that Anonymous is mostly Masculine. Most of what I've read is the official stereotype of who Anonymous is. As far as I know, even I have posted in imageboards and "-booru" engines as anonymous. It is even law-abiding and selfless. So far, just know that Anonymous is NOT always an amalgam of fail-teens. It is what it's name implies...ANONYMOUS.

To lol myself a bit...if Anonymous IS one person, then I can assume that Tzeentch IS Anon xP

MrThisguy978

Dat Elsie
Aug 28, 2010
Their intentions vary as much as the suns in the milky way.
They can be good or evil because it is 100% subjective.
Usually their threats are empty except when they arent and they get national news for chaos.

Usually in my case I support most of their antics because either its actually a good thing or its just funny.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Trezu said:
people praise them but others see them as enemy's they popped out of nowhere and just started taking over.

Do you think there intentions are good?
Are they Evil or Good?
Are there threats empty?

I think there the good guys there trying to do the right thing take down bad company's.
I think they can and will fight back.
The way they go about certain things can be troubling.
When it comes to anonymous, there is no good or evil. They are the perfect example of Chaotic Neutral, to use the D&D nomenclature. They do whatever they please, without regard to rule or law. If that means helping people, then they'll help people. If that means fucking over the rest of humanity, that's exactly what they'll do.

There's really no "good" or "evil" involved, merely the lulz.

Edit: I will say that I generally support what they do, if only because I am a hardcore anarcholibertarian, so I always approve of those who try to tear down the system.

sergnb

Mar 12, 2011
Zetion said:
sergnb said:
Zetion said:
XxRyanxX said:
sergnb said:
XxRyanxX said:
sergnb said:
XxRyanxX said:
I see them trying to do what they feel is justified and yet it is considered 'illegal'. Personally, to me.. I feel that they use good intentions in the wrong way. A good example is that they are attacking Sony by hacking into their websites (bad) while the reason is because they feel that they are ripping off their customers and restrict to much of the user's abilities to do whatever they want with the console they bought (good).

Sometimes, people do things for the right reasons but their methods of doing so can be seen as bad. Take the Green Hornet for example. They (the two main heroes) act like bad guys and do some destructive stuff, but it's for the good of the people to protect them. So I would call Anonymous 'rational heroes'. Just my opinion is all.. or to simply put: They do what they feel is right even if it's not done in a good peaceful manner.
Not always the case. Remember that girl that suicided because of /b/. Yeah.
..Well, I feel bad now- Because in truth I do not know that case. If I may ask, why did the girl suicide? Didn't even come to mind, but you're right- it's not always the case I assume.. Mm.
I don't know the details either but yeah there was a huge controversy going on about if "anon went too far" followed by a big "nah". Basicly anon ruined this girl's life by posting online some shit about her and making it public, resulting in her suicide.
..Well, that changes my views on them now. It seems that they are in favor of us- the Gamers, but if they are against something (even an innocent girl that they don't like something about her) then they'll attack nether the less. Makes me sad to hear she died, and I know this may sound off but- I would of loved to help her out. Wonder if Anonymous feels any guilt at all for doing that. I sure would of, but still, I can't see why they would humiliate her like that. It is the internet though, so no one should take it personally (yet we do depending on what it's based off of).
My main issue with the post is that you implied that a collective group of people can feel "guilt". Killing youself because of /b/ is like killing youself becaue of /b/. Honestly, out of all the reasons to kill yourself, she selected the stupidest one =/
They kind of troll'd her because she was frigging stupid. Imagine your typical high school diva girl. Yeah, it's still horrible, but...

I am kind of a good person so I have never been involved in these raids and massive trollages, but I admit I do have laughed at some of them.
I think the names for their raids are hilarious.
"Operation Titstorm". I lol`d.
indeed.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Is humanity the good guys? I guess you could say no and yes at the same time about that. Same applies to Anonymous. Anonymous is totally unorganized, totally unrepresented, and pretty much undefinable. Sometimes they fight for their ideals, sometimes they fight to keep the internet the way it is, and sometimes they just do stuff for the lulz. The second is pretty much the only one they're ever thoroughly organized for, since most of the internet backs it there.

Bottom line: Any person can claim they're starting an Anonymous raid, so Anonymous can do just about anything as long as there are people to support it.

As for whether they can/will fight back, heck yes. Whenever someone pushes Anonymous around, they get some teeth. The real question is, how much does Anonymous fight back. Since there's little organization amongst it, it mostly depends upon whether enough people feel it's worth it to really put up a serious fight.

As for whether their threats are empty... it depends who it's coming from, and more importantly, what they're saying. Sometimes one idiot tries to claim he's the voice of Anonymous and makes a threat, then gets some major whiplash when he finds out he doesn't have much support at all. Other times, someone suggests they do something, and a good quarter of the internet comes to back him up.

milkkart

Dec 27, 2008
how hard is it to get: anonymous is not a set group of people, its not a group at all really. its just a name people who are getting together for whatever cause can use to appear as a group.

hence groups using the name anonymous have done various things that can be construed as good evil or neutral depending on your point of view.

to make some sense you could say is specific action or capaign X and the group of people who carried it out good or bad.

this also accounts for the massively varying effectiveness (from near pointless DDoSing to highly damaging targeted cracking of specific systems) of attacks on different targets.

for example the RIAA etc while you may disagree with them were simply doing what they were set up to do, they got DDoSed. the lawyers who were waging blatantly dishonest and frivolous borderline illegal money grubbing lawsuit threat letter campaigns to profit from piracy got DDoSed and also their email and records databases compromised. the 'security' firm that were planning to use illegal tactics to destroy wikileaks and people associated with it were taken out quite effectively by means of some pretty clever cracking and social engineering.

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
well it depends if you zoom in and look at the tiny actions done by each person then ya i would say they are chaotic evil, thought when you zoom out and look at what they do when the ban together sometimes they try and be chaotic good

Eijarel

Jul 13, 2010
Look at yourself in the mirror, ask what side you are Really on,
and there you have a micro-cosmos of how complex the question really is.

overall i have no official stand on anonymous
however i have a very fucking official stand on the Lulz.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
p3t3r said:
well it depends if you zoom in and look at the tiny actions done by each person then ya i would say they are chaotic evil, thought when you zoom out and look at what they do when the ban together sometimes they try and be chaotic good
Anon as a whole is pure chaotic neutral, dood. It depends entirely upon the voice of the crowd. Sometimes a bunch of people say "Hey, let's go troll Habbo!", and sometimes they say "Hey, this guy is trying to cut off part of the internets! GET 'IM!"

Also, lol at "trying" to be chaotic good. On the internet, especially when part of Anonymous, nobody tries to be chaotic good. They either are or they aren't. If they're trying to be good, then they're being lawful good.

p3t3r

Apr 16, 2009
Lancer873 said:
p3t3r said:
Anon as a whole is pure chaotic neutral, dood. It depends entirely upon the voice of the crowd. Sometimes a bunch of people say "Hey, let's go troll Habbo!", and sometimes they say "Hey, this guy is trying to cut off part of the internets! GET 'IM!"

Also, lol at "trying" to be chaotic good. On the internet, especially when part of Anonymous, nobody tries to be chaotic good. They either are or they aren't. If they're trying to be good, then they're being lawful good.
well some people in anonymousness are lawful good i guess. i mean it is a very large diverse group with every little fraction in it

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
You guys realize that Anon isn't some organized base of people with the same rules/beliefs right?

It's kind of their in their name. You seemed to have missed the point.

Sprntr_Zomby

Jun 7, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Cowards are what they are.

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Anonymous wouldn't do a damn thing if they had to show up to a protest something in person.
Are you any different sir? You are hiding behind your username, your own wall of anonimity.
They know that they can do more on the internet, where restrictions are much less harsh. They're smart, they understand the power that comes from the internet and influencing things there.
Don't mock us, are you more active than us?

Sprntr_Zomby

Jun 7, 2010
In response to all this D&D moral alignment: It doesn't work

We have a different morality, instead of this black and white that everyone else follows, Anon has more of a red and yellow morality. We follow a completely different moral standard that you're failing to understand.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
There is no one group called "Anonymous". That's the point of the name: ANYONE can use it. There's probably at least 50 groups who call themselves Anonymous or go by that name, because, once again, ANYONE can be anonymous.

There are a few "big" groups who call themselves Anonymous. They tend to either be anarchists (the political kind) with a message (even if it's not a particularly helpful or coherent message), or they tend to be jerks who try to ruin other people's lives.

They are good Anonymous groups and there are bad Anonymous groups. The Media, with it's 40 something year old anchors who think "Angry Birds" is "Hardcore" and have trouble with their email accounts still can't quite get their heads around the fact that, yes, Anonymous can mean anyone or anything. There is no centralized HQ of Anonymous, there never was. They don't have official spokespersons, they have no set member list. They just call themselves Anonymous because it confuses the authorities and gives them safety through numbers.

Basically: They're internet users who try to use internet and group tactics, combined with anonymity to achieve a particular goal. Sometimes the goal is political - like backing Julian Assange or trying to get Brian Manning freed, or trying to take down Internet Security firms that try to track it. Sometimes the goal is just horrible meanness on a mass scale - like issuing death threats and publishing the address of a THIRTEEN YEAR OLD GIRL just because they didn't like the song she made (way to go, what brave, brave men they are, picking on kids!).

You can't say they are evil or good anymore than you could say "Americans are evil or good". They're a diverse bunch. Some are activists with a message. Others are just.... jerks.

EDIT: As for the future of Anonymous - for the meanwhile it will continue. But they had best be warned - the public (and they are not the public) can only tolerate so many of their antics. When they use their collective methods to go after the powerful or the evil, they get points. But, and this is the part they don't understand, they also lose points whenever they do a jerk move (like the aforementioned picking on little kids in the name of laughs, which is a jerk thing to do if you have even an ounce of morality). Remember, the State still exists. Anonymous might think "we ain't afraid of THE MAN", but when the Man decides to play tough, the Man can be pretty damn brutal. Right now, the Authorities allow relative freedom on the internet because the pros outweigh the cons. If all these Anonymous groups start causing too much Havoc, then the Man will come down on them. Want to know why Anonymous groups aren't very big in China? Because the Government of China controls the internet with an iron fist and activists are routinely arrested. Do you want that to happen in the US? Or Australia? Or the UK? If you insist on disrupting society, remember, society can bite the hell back, and you might just scare enough people into deciding that Government intervention and control of the internet is a "good" thing. Of course, it wouldn't be, but you do realize you can't push things too far. If things get too out-of-hand, the State has ways of controlling the population, and something tells me that you folks aren't the type with the physique to fight back (neither am I for that matter).

Just a word of warning to Anonymous (and I am aware that anyone can be Anonymous) - you are only anonymous because of the way the internet is set up right now. That could change faster than you know. You have less power than you realize - remember, the internet depends on Hardware - and cables can be unplugged. Your actions won't destroy the internet, but your actions could give the government the excuse to create a federally controlled, restrictive internet. The authorities have let us have this free internet because the majority of us behave. If you don't, you just might give them the excuse to take it away, and believe me, THEY CAN. All it takes is a couple of bills, and couple of laws, and men with guns seize those servers. And the public might just be cheering for them to do so. You can't act with impunity. No one can.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
There is no black/white here, but if you forced me to shove them into one of those stereotypes, I'd say evil/bad. There is no way you can call them "good".

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
They are a powerful group of hackers and trolls. I would not want them as my enemies as I do not doubt their ability to screw up people's lives.
They do both good and evil. Would be nice if they focused on good exclusively though.