"I Don't Like X Because of the Fandom;" Why?

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Saying you won't watch a show because of its fandom feels reductory. Simply ignore the fandom and go on your merry way. If you know anyone who happens to be a fan and who's likely to go on a crusade to try and convert you, don't mention your new watching or reading habits to said friend. That's it.

I watch MLP on occasion. I don't advertise it. I've watched Frozen. I don't talk about it. I'm one of the old hats who sometimes misses D&D 2nd Edition. I don't make a fuss over it. I miss the Old World of Darkness.

Yeah, you get the gist of it. Everyone's allowed to like what they like, and if some modicum of silence keeps the creeps away, I think it's a small price to pay.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Genocidicles said:
Usually when I say I don't like something because of the fandom, I have never watched/read the thing in question.

It's just the fandom is so obnoxious, spamming their shit all over the internet, acting all superior and high and mighty that I want nothing to do with them. They seem like idiots, so why should I watch something loved by idiots?
I have a similar issue overall. I won't outright refuse to follow something, but people fawning over something and telling everyone they must watch it and spamming memes all over the place really puts me off.

Bronies (overall, not any specific person) used to be utter douchebags about this. I don't really care about the brony community anymore, because I don't see 600 Pinkie Pie memes every hour (And 400 Rainbow Dash). Still, while I no longer feel any particular annoyance, I also don't particularly feel motivated to check out the show.

Retsam19

Dec 6, 2010
Stu35 said:
What I cannot shake the feeling of, however, is one that "Bronies" are a bunch of Paedophiles. Now, I know this isn't the case. However I can honestly not conceive of any world in which an adult male should be watching a show aimed at young children.
How about The Last Airbender? It was also marketed to a very similar age range. Sure, it's less PINK (because it wasn't marketed to a specific gender), but the concept of adults getting into a show aimed at young kids is the same.

However... yeah, I'm going to sort of list MLP as one of my examples as well. It's less that the fans are obnoxious, I suppose, but more that I've had the show over-hyped by a few friends, and it just hasn't (in the 14 or so episodes I've watched) lived up to that hype. It's a decent show, but I can't get myself to really care about the characters overmuch, and well... it's no Last Airbender.

The Floating Nose

Dec 5, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Moderated said:
Group X watches Show Y
Group X is undesirable
You want to watch Show Y, but you don't want to be a part of undesirable group X.
Pretty much. Sometimes, the community for something just spoils the experience of it. Do you really want to be part of this?
That's the thing, you don't HAVE to be part of it. You can like the show just for the purpose of liking the show. I listen to Punk music because i like the music, i don't care about the purists, i listen to the music for me.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Funslinger said:
Although that reminds me of this video someone made to convince their mother (wut) that 'Destiel' is a legitimate ship.

Basically it came down to 'there can't be any love but fuck love, and any kind of intense look means you want to jump someone's bones!'
I'm pretty sure that makes any Dean/whatever a legitimate "ship." Dean's primary traits are growling and intense looks at people. That character gives an intense look when he's watching TV, buying coffee, or staring in the mirror.

Then again, the show portrays Dean as pretty promiscuous, so maybe those intense looks ARE longing, and he just really wants to screw everything. Including that cup of coffee.

King Aragorn

Mar 15, 2013
deviantART is just...uggh. Unless your submission includes a male banging another male, our castrated to no tomorrow. Also MLP fans are no different then the early Star Wars fandom or anyone of those ''obsessive fandoms'' that spray their stuff all over the place. There is just more stigma towards MLP because of the material in question.
Mind you, I agree it's bloody annoying when I go into a thread and find irritating ponyification, but it's no different than other certain fandoms and isn't a particular standout.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
In my case, I kind of have a 'null reaction' to MLP due to some of the more evangelical members of the fanbase constantly battering on me 'ZOMG YOU HAVE TO WATCH THE PONIES'. I finally caved and watched the first couple episodes to silence them, and honestly, I might have enjoyed it if I hadn't been *BATTERED* so hard...as it stands the show is...a show. that is on TV. It's better written/animated than Fanboy & Chum Chum, so it's got that going for it...but maybe in a few years, when it's ended, and the hype's died down. maybe then I'll be able to watch it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Floating Nose said:
That's the thing, you don't HAVE to be part of it. You can like the show just for the purpose of liking the show. I listen to Punk music because i like the music, i don't care about the purists, i listen to the music for me.
The fun part is then getting the opposite. If I had a nickel for everyone who was surprised I listened to goth music, I'd be able to buy Maine. Which is especially funny since everyone assumed I was a goth in high school because I wore black (which, as we all know, is the only requisite for being a goth).

Fairy Fatale

Mar 7, 2013
It's rare that I ever interact with the fandoms of things I enjoy. I find that I do not need my interests reinforced by the opinions of others. I like what I like.

I do find many fandoms to be... amusing. They don't bother me, but one thing I don't understand is shipping. I don't see the appeal. I also find it difficult to get into fanfiction (it's not canon and thus not real).

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
smithy_2045 said:
Moderated said:
Group X watches Show Y
Group X is undesirable
You want to watch Show Y, but you don't want to be a part of undesirable group X.
/thread.

Seriously, it's as simple as that. People generally don't want to associate with those they find annoying.
It's not really that simple. I don't associate myself with a fanbase just because I happen to like the same things they do. However I might distance myself fromm watching a series if I am being constantly pestered about how amazing it is and all that because nothing is going to live up the hype and it's annoying when you keep getting asked to watch something or play something and you have to say it's not on your to do list.

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
I think it has something to do with everyone and their mother and their grandchildren who just got into kindergarden having easy access to internet and social media. It is too simple for somebody to smear your face in stupid shit they need to say about the stuff they like.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
The_Longier said:
I agree though there was one detail you got wrong, Apple doesnt have fans its a cult.
Well that's scarily true. A cult seeking perfection and clap at every new unoriginal idea,

"We are releasing this new iWhatever along with it's brand new feature... a calculator."
*and the audience cheers and applause*

Why aren't they just calling themselves a religion already.

SycoMantis91

Dec 21, 2011
I never hate something because of the fandom alone. There are times that I see the people that like it and think "If these are the kinds of people watching it, I don't think I want to" and never give it a chance. There are instances where if I don't like something, the fandom's obsession can make me dislike it further. For example, Doctor who. I kinda like it, some episodes are pretty interesting while others are pretty dull, but as much of my facebook feed is taken up by it, it makes me dislike it to a greater extent. Better example, The Walking Dead. It's so bad. Poorly acted, poorly scripted, painfully predictable, and no one would have watched it if it didn't have a zombie every few episodes. But everyone, and I mean just about EVERYONE thinks it's the greatest thing ever and mindlessly act surprised when something happens in the show, it makes me absolutely loathe a show I used to think was just bad.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Princess Luna from MLP. The amount that some fans wet themselves over Luna is really annoying, especialy when they keep wanting to see her banish Celestia and rule solo.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
IceForce said:
Stu35 said:
What I cannot shake the feeling of, however, is one that "Bronies" are a bunch of Paedophiles.
So, "I watch a TV show not specifically targeted at me" = "I want to have sex with the audience members"?

You said it yourself, an assertion like that is completely irrational.
Not to mention, pretty offensive to bronies. (I'm not one myself, but thought I'd mention it anyway)
Erm... did you miss out the part at the end where he said "Now, I know this isn't the case."? He isn't saying that the statement was true, just the notion of it is a bit distasteful. People outside of the MLP fanbase assuming they are pedophiles, when they clearly aren't.

Just to continue the topic, these "Bronies" need to calm down a bit. No, I am not saying they should be more calm about their love for My Little Pony, that's there choice, but calm down a bit when fighting an argument and not make themselves look childish. We get it, people don't like the things you like (that's how the world works btw) but don't threaten and abuse someone for calling you out and saying the show you like is for kids cause it kind of is. Just say why you like it and leave it as that. Don't make the situation worse.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
For my two cents, I got into Homestuck, got hooked, and then I actually looked around and realized that the tumblr fan base was pretty noxious. Then I looked back and realized that so much of the comic is in-jokes and callouts to said fan base. And while this hasn't negatively affected my view of the material very much, I am hesitant to say anything about the damn thing at all on the internet, for fear of people getting all up in my shit for "being a Homestuck" or worse, getting the fandom all up in my shit to share their favorite ships.

That almost happened with Doctor Who as well, but I realized that the show isn't really spectacular before I could get hooked, so now I just treat it with indifference and its fan base with disgust.

So it's not that I can't separate the two in my mind, but that it's difficult enough to interact with fans that are not crazy obsessive that there's almost no point. (Also, I suppose there might be a bit of "I don't like this fan base, so if I watch it and like it, then I'll be a fan as well, and I don't want that, so if I do watch it I'll just be super negative and critical to ensure that I don't like it" going on there. God knows I'm guilty of that.)

Phoenix1213

Sep 2, 2009
Stu35 said:
Tahaneira said:
let's say, My Little Pony,
Specifically young girls who are being raised under the stereotypical "pink and fluffy" ideal (which I also disagree with, any daughters of mine are getting action men and Rugby balls to play with, but that's an aside.)

Rationally, their enjoyment does not have any bearing on my life, and they're not hurting anyone - so I say live and let live, and I respect their right to do that.

Still fucking creeps me out though.
to be fair, I wouldn't really classify MLP as hardcore "pink and fluffy" there is pink and there is fluffy, but that's primarily just window dressings necessary for something like Hasbro to fund it. The stories, characters, and events don't follow the Barby model. Only about 3 episodes have someone pining for or having any romantic aspirations with a guy, and only about about a dozen have any significant fashion or dress up themes.

Most story lines revolve around life problems, friendship, doomsday scenarios, and even sports/athletic endeavors. Character wise there's only one that's really stereotypically girly, which again was necessitated by Hasbro( they wanted the characters interested in fashion so Rarity was made a fashion designer) ; even then she's not unbearably girly. The 6 main characters also include 2 tomboy girls, a timid animal lover, a hilarious 4th wall breaking party planner, and the main character is a complete bookworm. It's a far cry from the pink and fluffy shows you're probably thinking of. Think less "Barby" and more "powerpuff girls" or "Sesame Street "(ie: children's show made for adults to enjoy too).

Personally I enjoy it for the interesting characters, good stories/writing, music, and solid animation. Not the fact that theres a little girl fan base. Actually the bronies do a pretty good job of scaring away the pedophiles... After all, it'd pretty hard to find young girls in the fan base when the majority of the active fan sites are mostly filled with older guys, and women.

On topic:

Two possibilities I see are:

the association aspect... I really hate when I have to tell people my interest, I say videogames, and then they say: "oh, so you like call of duty?" And it's all uncomfortable when I tell them I don't. I mean call of duty is... Okay, but I hate that people assume I like it because it has such a large fan base.

And

Spite: " ugh these pushy fans keep wanting me to watch *blank* so I hate it and refuse to watch it!"

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
Tahaneira said:
This is something I keep seeing, and my curiosity has reached a level where fear of potential rudeness can no longer contain it. There is a topic, or a news article, or a thread derailment, or something, about some franchise (let's say, My Little Pony, or Homestuck). Among the posts praising and decrying this thing, one reason for disliking it is voiced: "I don't like this thing because the fandom is stupid/annoying/disturbing."

This has always confused me. Just because you watch/read something doesn't mean you have to partake in fan activities. Let's take MLP and Homestuck, things that I watch and read. I like them both, to a high degree, yet I cannot call myself a "brony" or a... whatever those in the Homestuck community call themselves. I've never touched a MLP site, or gone on a Homestuck forum, changed my avatar or crusaded that others should pay attention to these things. I am not a part of the fandom, basically; it doesn't take a lot of effort to do.

Now, this isn't meant to be derogatory, or an "I do this, so why doesn't everyone!" topic. I'm just genuinely confused as to why people will hate something for an aspect that is completely apart from the thing itself and that they are not required to take part in. I'm not trying to be judgmental, I just want someone to explain the reasoning to me.
For me it was Portal. I loved the game, and I got it by accident - I had no idea it was part of the Orange Box. I just got the Orange Box because it was on sale and people I knew said Half Life was great. I had issues getting Half Life to play on that computer, so I started on Portal instead and I LOVED IT. Then I ran into the overwhelming Portal love online where I couldn't go to half of my favourite sites and see "The Cake Is a Lie." and "You Monster." and other quips from the game. It was so bad that I started to grit my teeth seeing it in the game because I was just so sick of it.

So I would imagine that a large amount of the hate is that people once loved something, found a fanbase that beat it into free floating electrons, protons and neutrons, found that they couldn't stand some of the things they loved before and blamed that fanbase for it. And now they hate it because of that fanbase.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I can't stand nearly any game fandom that revolves around playing with others. Mainly because the people that play it throw a fucking tantrum whenever newcomers come around.

Need help taking down a hunt in Monster Hunter? "GO BACK TO YOUR FUCKING CALL OF DUTY YOU CASUAL!!!"
Lost in a fighting game"YOU FUCKING SCRUB!!! STOP INFECTING OUR GAMES AND LET REAL PLAYERS PLAY!!!"
Playing a MOBA? Those stories that you hear aren't campfire tales.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
Tahaneira said:
Just because you watch/read something doesn't mean you have to partake in fan activities.
I think it's less people who liked something, discovered the fan community and then started hating it as it's people who haven't watched/read the franchise in question and are turned off from exploring it because of the fan community. And I think that makes sense - if your main association with something starts with a negative, why would you be tempted to get deeper into that thing?

Even if the fandom element is mostly positive, if that's your first exposure to the property, it's easy to end up disappointed since it's not likely going to live up to the reviews of the most enthusiastic members of the fandom (who also tend to be the loudest).

Although I do understand the older MLP-fan community people (who were often middle aged women who liked the ponies in the 80s and then got into it with their young daughters), since some of them were genuinely harassed by new fans - and when we're talking about little kids I do think that's problematic even if it is a tiny percentage of the whole - so I get why they'd be soured by the whole experience.

Personally I try to avoid most fandom communities as much as possible - but more because obsessive devotion weirds me out rather than because I think it's going to ruin the things that I'm a fan of.