I don't really WANT to get an XBone, but...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hello my fellow Escapists, I come to you seeking a bit of advice. Seems last year I was living below the poverty line and as such get a full tax refund of around $1500. As such, and with the fact that I now finally have a stable job (woo-hoo!) I can afford to pick up a next-gen console. So here's the deal...

I don't really want an XBone because Microsoft is...well...Microsoft. However pretty much all my friends from the 360 are going to be getting an XBone sooner or later and, obviously, I'd still get to play with them as we transition into the new generation. I'd be much happier with a PS4, but that would mean forsaking all my friends and basically having to start a friends list from scratch.

The thing is, if I'm going to be abandoning my 360 friends anyways, I'm also considering the fact that I might as well go big and join up with the PC Master Race, as I'm sure that tax refund money could be spent upgrading my current PC to turn it into a gaming rig (pretty sure all I'd need would be a decent graphics card, as I believe the standard specs for my processor and such are pretty decent as it is). There's also the fact that I've got a birthday coming up next month, and as such could likely pick up a next-gen console then if I really want one.

So what do you say? Is the XBone really as bad as we make it out to be? They've rolled back on all the "features" that I was against, so now there's just an extra $100 price-tag for a Kinect that I will never use. Should I stay with Xbox, though, because Friendship is Magic? Or should I say "screw it" and go for a PS4? Or - perhaps even better - finally don the uniform of the PC Master Race since I'll be leaving behind my 360 friends anyways if I don't get an XBone?

Edit: Wow, there's a lot of people saying "screw your friends, do your own thing!" And I can certainly understand and appreciate that. But let me try to clarify: they're not telling me I should get an XBone, in truth I don't really even "know" any of them. I'm the the States, there's a couple friends in Canada, one in Spain, one in Scotland, one in New York, and a few in England. These are guys that I've been playing with on the 360 for years, and I'm fairly certain that most of them are going with the XBone. Truth be told, I don't really have many gamer friends that actually live in my area, so it's not like my personal friends are trying to pressure me into getting an XBone. Does that put a little perspective on why I'd even consider buying an XBone due to friends? Or is the general consensus still "Screw'em all"? :p

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I say, never, ever make a decision based on other people. If you want a ps4 buy a ps4. People are unreliable. Makesure you get what YOU want and the rest will sort itself out.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
Grab a PS4. It's cheaper, better value, has the best versions of all multi-platform titles by a decent margin, and your not giving Microsoft any money. $1,500.00 won't get you a PC that can ride out the generation, not when gen 1 titles like Watch_Dogs are pushing 8GB ram requirements, or Titanfall requiring +3GB VRAM to not shit its pants. In a year or so, system reqs will be pretty ridiculous.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'd say buy what you want to buy, but maybe that's because I don't have any (gaming) friends and I always play games by my lonesome.

But even if I did, I think I'd rather spend 400 bucks on something I want, than 500 bucks on something my friends want. It's your money, you decide, not your friends.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
RJ 17 said:
I'm also considering the fact that I might as well go big and join up with the PC Master Race, as I'm sure that tax refund money could be spent upgrading my current PC to turn it into a gaming rig (pretty sure all I'd need would be a decent graphics card, as I believe the standard specs for my processor and such are pretty decent as it is).
If that's all you need, go for it. $200-300 should get you a great card(better than mine), GeForce GTX760 is probably the best value gaming card currently. Just make sure your PSU can cope.

I'd also echo what others have said here, PS4 is better value than Xbone, but go with what you want, not what your friends want. Also if your friends have Xbones and you have a PS4 that means you and your friends can play all the exclusives at someone or other's place.

Still, it's your money, your call, pick what feels right for you.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
convince your friends to join the master race

i mean seriously are you willing to pay 60 bucks a year to play online plus 60 bucks for all your games? eewwwww

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I'd recommend PC but I'm biased here. I abandoned my 360 friends for the PC and I don't regret it. Discounts, online services I don't need to pay for, less use of voice comms, older, if not more mature communities.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Apparently people around here are either really anti-social, or so hellbent on advising against the XBO that they dont care about other factors.

If they're friends you play with a lot and value, then make the call. Really, only you know what the phrase friends covers here. It could be anything from 'Random people I picked up along the line, and play together so Im not playing alone' all the way through to 'My best mates who make my time spent gaming so much richer.'

So I would disregard essentially everything in this topic, and assess what type of friends we're talking about. Otherwise you may well end up making the 'right' choice for you, and find 6 months down the line that without your friends, its just not captivating anymore.

Also the XBO is nowhere close to what the internet tends to lay on it, hate wise.

Liquidprid3

Jan 24, 2014
I'm gonna disagree with the others a little bit. First, how often do you play with friends, and how well do you know them. If you hardly play multiplayer, and not many are real life friends, then go with whatever you want. PC, PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, Virtual Boy, doesn't matter. Play what you want to play, but keep friends as a factor. If I played multiplayer games as much as I used to, I sure as hell would buy an Xbox One, because that would be what my friends have. Now, my brother and I are building a gaming PC, but I'll keep an eye on all the next-gen consoles, as they all have exclusives I want to play.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
if PC is not an option, at the very least get a PS4 instead, PS+ is cheaper, comes with more perks and the console itself is 100 bucks cheaper, games are still 60 bucks and paying for online is still mandatory tough

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
If it was between the Consoles, I'd go for a PS4 but that's only because I've always leaned toward a PS4. But if all 3, PC all the way and I say that not as a PC Elitist or something like that. Spent a little bit of money and built one from the ground up. It's not just the fact that you have many mods to play with, it's not the fact that there is Steam and other online deals for PC Games, but I think the most important fact is that it's something you invested in and built (or upgraded). Sometimes I just look at my PC and smile saying to my self, "yeah, I built this, I'm awesome". Can't put a value on that. :)

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
If you want a PS4 get a PS4, but the Xbox One is not the hell satan console people make it out to be. The worst thing I can say about it is that parties are just more complicated, it doesn't rely on the 360's "press the middle button" routine.

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
If they are good friends and you like to play with them get the Xbox One, friends make gaming better.

This site is disturbingly anti social...

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
I've lived extremely comfortably without it. That feeling I had when the last generation started, of "I NEED to get in on this" has been and remains completely absent. I had a lot of Xbox friends too, but it is what it is.

Zac Jovanovic

Jan 5, 2012
Xbone is exactly the same shit as PS4, if you want a console might as well pick the one your friends are at.
If you want a PC 1500 dollars will ride you through the generation but a 1500 dollar PC won't, buy value not performance.

I reckon your best solution is just upgrading you GPU if the rest of the rig can carry it, HD 7870 and GTX 760 are great choices.

Zeh Don said:
Titanfall requiring +3GB VRAM to not shit its pants
Wut:eek:

Titanfall is so low on system regs compared to most games, it runs perfectly fine with a decent 1GB VRAM card.

Heck, the recomended GPU for it is a two gens old medium-high spec card with 1gb VRAM. Which makes sense because graphically it looks like a game from that time.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Zeh Don said:
Grab a PS4. It's cheaper, better value, has the best versions of all multi-platform titles by a decent margin, and your not giving Microsoft any money. $1,500.00 won't get you a PC that can ride out the generation, not when gen 1 titles like Watch_Dogs are pushing 8GB ram requirements, or Titanfall requiring +3GB VRAM to not shit its pants. In a year or so, system reqs will be pretty ridiculous.
That is not strictly speaking true.
You can get a top of the line GPU for just over 300 eur and then a CPU for another 200. the rest of the components tend to be under 50 each. 8 gigs of RAM will not cost you more than 20.

PCs are not as expensive as people make them out to be. In fact, you don't need an insane top of the range rig in order to run all the new games on medium-high spec. I can build a PC infinitely better than the Xbox One for roughly the same price.

I've been upgrading my PC regularly, with minor improvements here and there and a massive overhaul that I spend around 300 euros on every 3 years or so. I always go for the higher mid-range. and I can always get all the new games to look amazing with a little bit of in-game tweaking.

here, have a tip: turn off the motion blur. it's useless - your eyes do that for you anyway - and it strains the fuck out of your hardware. And lower AA a bit. It tends to eat up a lot of power and you're never going to need more than 2x or 4x anyway. Not to mention hat Direct X 11 already tend to look nice and smooth before you turn AA on.

OP: my advice to you is what people have been saying anyway. Get the console you want with the games you are interested in. It's you who's going to be playing it, not your friends.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Find new friends. Simple as that.

Buy a PC and you'll get to meet cool new people. And you'll get to meet your friends when you go to a pub or whatever. If they choose a system that you don't like, or it's not worth it, then leave those friends for other activities that are not gaming.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Get the one that has the games you want the most. Games should be the first priority when picking a gaming platform.