I don't understand griefing

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
could someone explain to my why it is fun to wreck peoples game times?

TehDomino

Mar 3, 2012
This is the thing that has amused me for years, people that get angry over video games but it happens for a reason.

There have been various articles and studies over the years as to why it happens, the most common occurrence seems to be aggression caused my the increased adrenaline and competition.

PS. The spinning button works.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Some people get pleasure from conflict. If you don't get it, you probably just aren't that kind of person.
I'm not either; its just a matter of taste.

Griefing has the added benefits of anonymity and few, if any, repercussions, so its an ideal venue for many to exercise their interests in causing strife.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
imahobbit4062 said:
Nothing gives me more joy in the world than griefing a bunch of annoying kids who treat a game of Call Of Duty so fucking seriously in a hardcore match. Even better, they deserve it.
But why?

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
I reckon it's similar to trolling: if your own silliness can encourage others to act like even bigger fools, you have created entertainment.
Foolish behaviour is where humour comes from afteral.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
It's a matter of whether or not you feel like seriously aggravating someone. I never grief because I never have incentive to do such a thing. But then again, I never play Call of Duty. So maybe that's why.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
I've never laughed harder than when I placed lava across a friend's wooden town in Minecraft.
It's like trolling, but much more interactive.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Its only fun if the other person is expecting it i.e joking between friends but there is a fine line I have never really understood going into a game just to ruin it for others it just creates needless bad blood. Most wouldnt do it if there was a suitable retaliation you could do such as punching them in the face, they`re are mostly just filled with cowards bravery or bravery of being out of range basically.

That being said I have no doubht there are some people who really like wrecking other peoples games and would do so even if there was a retaliation and although I dont like these people they have more of my respect than the others at least they are consistent in their actions and arent scared of facing repercussion for their behaviour.

midget_roxx

Feb 22, 2010
Because it's fun? I've been doing that C4 bug in BF3 where you switch teams and detonate the C4. So much fun to be had watching everyone calling hax and raging xD

Redweaver

Apr 1, 2009
TehDomino said:
This is the thing that has amused me for years, people that get angry over video games but it happens for a reason.
They aren't getting angry over a video game, they're getting angry over an asshat.

Angry at a video game is throwing your controler when you can't make a jump or lose a boss fight over and over.

If I get mad at someone for walking over and spitting in my lunch, am I angry at the food?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Evil Smurf said:
Dude, why do you pick on them? Griefing is not out of malice or spite or some sick form of amusement - it's a deeply religious activity. The best thing in life is to to crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear their girly whiny lamentations. It just how you worship Crom.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
It's basically crafting your own schadenfreude. Some people like schadenfreude more than others I suppose.

And just a thought, if Catherine had proper competitive online there would be epic amounts of trolling going on.

"What's that? You need that block to continue? *pushes block off ledge* U mad bro?"

Don't even get me started on the ice blocks...

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
I think griefers just like to watch peoples reactions etc. It is funny for a little while, but then it just gets annoying and ruins the game :/

Spawn killing in games or glitching the map comes to mind.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
griefing can be fun, for example if you were to play minecraft (which i dont) and you watched someone build some big building and then you come along and blow the fucker up and watch their reaction.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Evil Smurf said:
Some people are just idiots. The behavior is dumb, ergo they are dumb people. And there really isn't going to be an argument that counters this.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I cannot help to wonder if the square ball from Pong was sentient and able to express itself would it not be crying "Why does it seem like everyone wants to smack me and push me in directions I dont want to go? Did pac-man ever once complain "Its not fair im stuck in a cage that i cannot escape being chased by ghosts trying to kill me"? In games where it is possible by design, its simply part of the game.

Learn, adapt and overcome. Do not perpetuate the consistent state of victimism. Complaining about it does nothing good. Hell just look at how MMOs have been ruined by their developers trying to make their MMOs accessible and user friendly to all.