I don't understand the term trans

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
Reasonable Atheist said:
Most. Subjective. Thing. EVER.

I am reminded of feminists arguing with other women about some women just.... wanting to be housewives and mothers. To some feminists this is an offensive affront to everything they stand for, and they perceive it as rejection from those they are trying to help. To other feminists they view this as women simply choosing the lifestyle and values they prefer, and that would be an expression of their rights as a human being.

Super subjective, and basically anyone arguing with anyone else about it.... is kinda fascist, at least that's the feeling i get from it.

Ask ten different people what it means to be "woman" or "man" and you are going to get 10 different answers, especially if you ask 10 people from different places in the world.
But...I mean...isn't the whole point of feminism to take the disparate, complex, subjective experiences of a class of people called "woman" and construct an analysis of their conditions? Like, idk, ten different people would answer ten different ways what it means to be "black" but that doesn't mean we can't have an analysis of race that exists beyond feelings.

I still haven't ever seen a good explanation of what "I feel like a woman" means without reference to offensive sex stereotypes.

DizzyChuggernaut said:
What does feminism have to do with it? There's a large chunk of feminists who are as dogmatically opposed to transgender people as Christian fundamentalists are. Personally I find when feminism gets involved with trans issues things can get really ugly really quickly.
Yes, because the central tenet of trans issues - that there exist firm categories of "man" and "woman" that have associated ways of being and experiencing the world - seems to be directly opposed to the ideology of feminism, which says that all behaviors, feelings, thoughts, and experiences should be open to anyone, regardless of their bodies or how society perceives them. The abolition of sex stereotypes - the goal of feminism - doesn't fit with the idea that sex stereotypes are reflections of some inherent essence of "woman" or "man" that some people are just born with.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
peruvianskys said:
Reasonable Atheist said:
Most. Subjective. Thing. EVER.

I am reminded of feminists arguing with other women about some women just.... wanting to be housewives and mothers. To some feminists this is an offensive affront to everything they stand for, and they perceive it as rejection from those they are trying to help. To other feminists they view this as women simply choosing the lifestyle and values they prefer, and that would be an expression of their rights as a human being.

Super subjective, and basically anyone arguing with anyone else about it.... is kinda fascist, at least that's the feeling i get from it.

Ask ten different people what it means to be "woman" or "man" and you are going to get 10 different answers, especially if you ask 10 people from different places in the world.
But...I mean...isn't the whole point of feminism to take the disparate, complex, subjective experiences of a class of people called "woman" and construct an analysis of their conditions? Like, idk, ten different people would answer ten different ways what it means to be "black" but that doesn't mean we can't have an analysis of race that exists beyond feelings.

I still haven't ever seen a good explanation of what "I feel like a woman" means without reference to offensive sex stereotypes.

DizzyChuggernaut said:
What does feminism have to do with it? There's a large chunk of feminists who are as dogmatically opposed to transgender people as Christian fundamentalists are. Personally I find when feminism gets involved with trans issues things can get really ugly really quickly.
Yes, because the central tenet of trans issues - that there exist firm categories of "man" and "woman" that have associated ways of being and experiencing the world - seems to be directly opposed to the ideology of feminism, which says that all behaviors, feelings, thoughts, and experiences should be open to anyone, regardless of their bodies or how society perceives them. The abolition of sex stereotypes - the goal of feminism - doesn't fit with the idea that sex stereotypes are reflections of some inherent essence of "woman" or "man" that some people are just born with.
The problem with the whole assessment there is two fold. The first issue is it assumes that feminism is a collective where everyone thinks the same and has the same goals, it doesn't work like that. The second issue is that you assume that feminism is about getting rid of the concept of gender, or removing stereotypes entirely. A lot of feminists just want equal treatment and rights across the board. The ones concerned with getting rid of all gender stereotypes, if not the concept of gender entirely are radical feminists. Radical feminists are generally vehement anti-transgender, or transgender exclusionary, along with being sex worker exclusionary, and sex negative.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
Pluvia said:
peruvianskys said:

Jumping in here without reading any of your guys prior argument, but pretty sure "I feel like a woman" is the same sort of feeling you have about whatever gender you are. I mean I feel like a guy, and I am a guy, so it's not that complex.
I have different feelings on the matter: I don't feel like a guy, because as far I'm concerned, I am a guy; it's just what I am. I don't know what it means to 'feel' like a guy.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
Pluvia said:
Jumping in here without reading any of your guys prior argument, but pretty sure "I feel like a woman" is the same sort of feeling you have about whatever gender you are. I mean I feel like a guy, and I am a guy, so it's not that complex.
But certainly you are a man not because you "feel like a guy" but because at birth you were placed into the social class "man," right? No one asked you how you felt before they started treating you like one.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Pluvia said:
IOwnTheSpire said:
I have different feelings on the matter: I don't feel like a guy, because as far I'm concerned, I am a guy; it's just what I am. I don't know what it means to 'feel' like a guy.
You sound like an anomaly then.
Not really, most people don't think very deeply into it. Which is probably a good thing. He is what he is and that's all there is to it in that respect, that's probably the best evidence that he's a stable individual with no insecurity about his gender identity. That's a lucky thing too, most trans folk don't get to feel that way and when we do, gender dysphoria likes to jump to the front of your mind and take that away.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
I never really understood the term or even the concept behind it.
Trans, from transformation or even transcend.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even the trans operation is cosmetic. You don't actually change genders. Caitlyn can't bare children and Miss Garrison couldn't have an abortion. They don't produce eggs or have an uterus. So they're not really trans in that way because fundamentally nothing has changed. They haven't transformed into a woman.

But if it's about sexuality and self identification, instill don't see the need for the term trans. Your self identification is just that. How you identify. You don't need to change because your identity conforms to you, not you to your identity. Someone says they self identify as a woman...great. sure. Where does the trans part come in? You don't need to transform into anything because you already identify as that thing!
You're already there!

And if we're saying it's about looking on the outside how you feel inside...then whatever happened to beauty in the eye of the beholder? Everyone is beautiful type.shit, you know? Why the need for a surgery if it's cheaper and easier to simply say "I am a woman and I look like this"?
And and if it's all about wanting to look different, why isn't the term trans applied universally? If I put on makeup, how am I not trans? Because I am changing my appearance to fit how I feel inside(ie better)? Have I not transformed myself? Have I not identified as something different(a prettier person) and transformed myself into that new identity?!

I'm not anti trans, mind you. I just don't understand the semantics behind the words or practices. Anyone wants to do it, hey free country. I just don't get the need for such....pageantry.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Silentpony said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even the trans operation is cosmetic. You don't actually change genders. Caitlyn can't bare children and Miss Garrison couldn't have an abortion. They don't produce eggs or have an uterus. So they're not really trans in that way because fundamentally nothing has changed. They haven't transformed into a woman.

But if it's about sexuality and self identification, instill don't see the need for the term trans. Your self identification is just that. How you identify. You don't need to change because your identity conforms to you, not you to your identity. Someone says they self identify as a woman...great. sure. Where does the trans part come in? You don't need to transform into anything because you already identify as that thing!
You're already there!

And if we're saying it's about looking on the outside how you feel inside...then whatever happened to beauty in the eye of the beholder? Everyone is beautiful type.shit, you know? Why the need for a surgery if it's cheaper and easier to simply say "I am a woman and I look like this"?
And and if it's all about wanting to look different, why isn't the term trans applied universally? If I put on makeup, how am I not trans? Because I am changing my appearance to fit how I feel inside(ie better)? Have I not transformed myself? Have I not identified as something different(a prettier person) and transformed myself into that new identity?!

I'm not anti trans, mind you. I just don't understand the semantics behind the words or practices. Anyone wants to do it, hey free country. I just don't get the need for such....pageantry.
The point you're missing that sex and gender are actually different things. Sex is a biological phenotype of a species, determining male, or female, or in fringe cases somewhere inbetween. Gender is a human concept, it's about identity, behavior, role, appearance, and things that are generally outside the realm of biological sex. It's important to remember that humans are more complicated than many other animals, especially socially, and especially where concepts like gender are involved.

Anyways when you're talking about transgender it's more to do with transition. The "eye of the beholder" isn't something realistic that you can apply here. The point of transition is to get to a point where society treats and sees you as the gender you identify as, but that's not even the entire concept. Transgender is simply a term that means someone's birth sex is different from how they identify themselves in relation to gender, thus gender identity. Cisgender and Transgender are a perfect word pair here because they denote something important in relation. Cisgender people are on "the same side" of "typical gender identity" where as transgender people are on the "opposite side" of "typical gender identity". This is because trans folk don't identify as the sex they're born, where cis folk do.

Another thing to keep in mind is that not all trans folk have sexual reassignment surgery, but it's also not the point of being trans to have one's genitals altered. The point of being trans is functioning in society differently from the gender you were assigned at birth. This is because gender identity is not a purely external thing, it's actually far more internal than external, it's based on how you identify in relation to the gender binary. A trans women doesn't just wear a dress and make up to look different for example, she does it because it's a way of expressing that she is, by her internal identity, a woman. But that's expression, transgenderism is specifically more about personal identity, because a trans person functions differently and identifies differently on a deep psychological level. Trans people do not identify with or as the sex they were assigned at birth, that's essentially what trans means, meaning that trans and transgender just identifiers for the condition of not identifying as the sex you're born.

I mean it sounds confusing, because trust me it is, I'm trans and I should know, but it's something in our brains that make us trans, that means in out minds we're different from the sex we're assigned at birth. Really to understand what being trans is, you kind of have to be trans, but that's not something I'd wish even on my worst enemy.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Drops a Sweet Katana said:
Hmmmmmmm. You could be right. I haven't done biology since A-Level so I could very well be wrong. However, the NHS gives a similar explanation, although it's more a development-based one (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Gender-dysphoria/Pages/Causes.aspx). I don't think I add much more past chin-scratching since I don't really have a proper understanding of biochemistry.
Wow, I'm actually kind of shocked that the NHS is reporting that as fact.

Put it this way, it is a known and observable fact that gender identity can change throughout someone's life. A person can live happily as a member of a particular sex for many decades and then suddenly hit a point where they desire to be the opposite sex. This can include people who have already transitioned once and, crucially, people who have had their gonads (testes or ovaries) removed, meaning it's very unlikely to be down to changing levels of sex hormones.

We tend to assume that when people's gender identity changes during their life they haven't actually "changed" but rather "discovered" something that was always innate to them, and that's a good assumption to follow because it's very comforting and affirming for the person who is transitioning, but taking it too far can also be very confusing. If someone has managed to survive for thirty years as a man but now wants to be a woman, the fact that they are authentically a woman doesn't necessarily mean they were never "really" a man. I would say that a person who can survive as a man is as worthy of being called a man as anyone.

I think in a better world, in a world where trans people didn't have to fear the accusation of mental illness, that would be something we'd probably find much easier to accept.

Ultimately, though, even if I'm completely wrong. Even if there is a single determinate cause of gender identity, then it's clearly not actually that determinate because people sometimes seem to be able to ignore it, or even to not know about it, for years on end. We tend to fixate on the experience of people who "always knew" and who never had any doubts or confusion or second thoughts and present that as typical. It's a common experience, sure, and one as worthy of respect as anyone's experience, but it isn't the only possible experience of being trans.

Rosiv

Oct 17, 2012
Silentpony said:

You're already there!

I always was of the notion that for one's identity other people decide what you are, or what anything is for that matter. So if there were 10 people on an island, including you, and they all started calling you "ganondorf", then you would be that. As a more realistic example, I guess you could use the term "black". Did africans always call themselves such, or was it through white encounters that they were given the term?

So if people don't consider a "man" wearing makeup a women, then that would be the cut off.

This ultimatly depends on the defintion of "man" though, because defining it chromosomally we have exceptions to that, and therefore the only real way I see to define it is through anatomy. One could say this is not reflective of real biology, since one's phenotype is suppose to be genetically inheritied. But i feel since we already address people who have chromosomal abberations as male or female based on abitrary standards, a hard defintion of biological phenotype need not apply.

As for the transforming part, maybe people just want to fit in. Being an indivduial is something overrated in my opinion, and only really preached by people who have had enough normality in their lives to desire it. I sometimes wish I had either phenotypically african american or asian feature, and not a mixture of the two, it would have caused be a lot less grief in school fitting in.

I guess one could say to that though, well "just be yourself" or "don't care about what other people think", but those are just platitudes and not very realistic. "Regular" women already care about how they look, if they didnt I assume most wouldn't bother dressing up. People kowtow to social standards all time time.

I guess in closing, and sorry for the ramble, I think its inconsiderate to expect a transgender women, however that word is defined, to be held to higher standards than "regular" women. If makeup does not make a women, we should be telling that to all women, starting with the cisgendered ones. The majority usually has the power and therefore the responsiblity to set the standard in this case don't they?

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Pluvia said:
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Not really, most people don't think very deeply into it. Which is probably a good thing. He is what he is and that's all there is to it in that respect, that's probably the best evidence that he's a stable individual with no insecurity about his gender identity. That's a lucky thing too, most trans folk don't get to feel that way and when we do, gender dysphoria likes to jump to the front of your mind and take that away.
Do you not think it's a case of not thinking very deeply into it, rather than what he's saying which is "doesn't feel at all"?

I mean what I got from his paragraph there is akin to straight people saying that don't really know when they first started liking the opposite sex, or can't remember all the times they did when they were a teenager. It's not that he didn't feel it, it's just that there was no reason to think deeply into it.
I think we're basically in agreement here, it's one of those things that most people don't think about. It's also the sort of "feeling" that's hard enough for trans folk to identify, so it's not surprising that cisgender folk don't go around saying things like "I feel like a man", or "I feel like a woman".

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Bobular said:
So my question to the trans community is, what is it that makes you think of your selves as trans?
Not Trans myself but, Web MD is surprisingly helpful on this one.

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/gender-dysphoria

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
peruvianskys said:
I'm confused then, exactly what feelings a man could feel that a woman can't.
You might want to try going back to the prior question, then. Because this here is something nobody's claiming. At least, not in any practical sense.

If you have a question that's not a strawman about trans people or feminists, I'm all ears. Quite literally, now that Monsanto has altered my DNA to that of sentient corn.

Pluvia said:
It'd probably be best if culture never had expectations of either gender.
That didn't appear to be the question, though. The question was about designation, not expectation. And the thing is, for most people the birth designation system is fine.

ThatOtherGirl

Jul 20, 2015
Silentpony said:

You're already there!

I want to respond to your post, but the problem is that you are missing the point so hard I don't even know where to begin. Not saying you are being willfully ignorant or anything. It is just that I am having trouble finding common ground to start on.

First of all, transformation and transcend are examples of the use of the trans prefix, but I think you are getting an entirely wrong idea of what is meant by trans by reaching to those examples. They both imply great change. But the actual meaning of trans can be better illustrated from something like cis?trans isomerism in chemistry. In chemistry it is possible for chemical bonds to be, essentially, identical in all respects except for orientation (the literal direction of the bond). Cis vs trans indicate two different types of the same thing, cis indicating the more common (or default) variety, trans all others. OR it can indicate being on one side or another of an arbitrary division, cis meaning literally "this side" and trans "the other side".

To illustrate this, lets break down trans-form-ation. Form, as in to form something. Trans means, basically, different from the default. ation indicates action or an instance of action. The action of forming into something different. The only part trans contributes is the "different" part. Same with transcend, the change comes from the -scend part. Trans just describes the type of change.

That might seem like a matter of semantics, but I think it is important because everything else you wrote relies on this idea of transformation, as if trans people are trying to change themselves into a different gender, which is a fundamentally incorrect way of looking at it. A trans woman is not a man trying to become a woman, she is in a subcategory of women in general.

So, if a trans woman is a woman already (and extending that to all other uses of the term), why is the term needed? The term trans is needed because we need a word that correctly describes trans people as what they are. We need a word for it for the same reason we need a word for anything. Because we need to be able to talk about it, think about it, and do things about it.

So why is the term only applied to transgender issues, and not anything else? The fact is the prefix trans is used all over the place for all sorts of reasons. Generally when it is applied to people it refers to gender issues. And really the only reason is basically that we used it first. Someone needed a word to talk about it and that person was smart and used a good term which eventually got shortened to just "trans" because of several reasons, including a negative association with the word "transgender" and the fact that transgender is harder to say in conversation. Often language isn't very logical, but there you are.

As for why trans people make the changes they make, many of which are indeed cosmetic in nature, that has to do with a very simple but entirely impossible to explain discomfort that comes from a gross mismatch between how you live and how you identify. What you look like is only a part of it. I say discomfort, but that hardly does it justice. Soul crushing stress is a better description. This is currently typically referred to as gender dysphoria. Unfortunately, there are not words that can describe the feeling in detail, only the result. Your just going to have to take our word for it (and the word of the experts in the field) that it is real.

This isn't something you can wish away or ignore. You can't just will it away by saying "I'm a woman on the inside!" any more than you can will away a broken leg by saying "I can walk on the inside!". Transitioning is not pageantry. It is about dealing with a very real problem.

Now, of course, most people are concerned with appearances. Trans people are no different, we like to look good as much as anyone else, and for all the same reasons. And like all other people, we want to look good as who we are, not pretending to be someone or something else.

But there is another aspect to trans people being concerned with their looks. For trans people it is as much for survival. If people can readily tell we are trans we are going to be discriminated against. This can range from mean looks to losing a job to being brutally mutilated, raped, tortured and murdered. But if no one can tell we are trans we don't have to deal with that. We get to be who we are and live how we want and no one hassles us or beats us to death for being different.

We sometimes call this "passing". I, for example, might say "I am successfully passing as a woman." Some people don't like the term passing, they feel it implies we are pretending to be a gender we are not, and as we use it I can see the problem. Personally, I think it is a good term, one we can use to educate people if we adjust how we use it. To be clear, I should say "I am passing as cis". Passing trans women are not pretending to be women, we are pretending to be cis. We practically have to if we want to be allowed to live normal lives.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
Du Svardenvyrd said:
It makes it bitterly ironic for the time being, but it's still better than the alternatives. The fact is that they ARE easy to change, it just takes enough people actually wanting to change it. That cannot be said for people who refuse to take their medication and live on the streets until they die, all the hundreds of thousands of them in this country alone. My point is not about relative oppression, but relative challenges faced. You need tolerance, and deserve acceptance. After that, you're fine, which is sort of the whole point about trans people to begin with. They're different, not broken or sick. Right?
I understand and do agree with you for the most part, there are many ways in which basic functioning is more difficult for anyone with any mental illness than any other condition. But I think we're diverting a bit here by making comparisons. Because yeah there are a lot of people suffering serious mental illnesses, many of them coping as best they can, regardless of weather they're functional in society, or not. Heck it's pretty bad in the US because in part a person, say schizophrenic, isn't going to be hauled off and institutionalized against their will. That situation allows them to get into situations where they either refuse to take their medication, or they loose access to care due to financial issues and not knowing where to get further help. It's bad in other places too, for example I've heard horror stories about Australia where the mentally ill can have warrants issues and people picked up by the police. Then those are put in state run mental institutions, which generally put them on the wrong medications and don't contact their regular doctors. Heck being held in a state mental institution in Australia causes one to drop out of contact with even their friends and families, along with also generally costing people their jobs and homes at the same time.

Anyways comparing illnesses like schizophrenia to transgenderism is kind of a bit of apples and oranges. They are two very different things.

Still as conditions go, gender dysphoria needs to be treated, left untreated it causes all sorts of issues like depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts and tendencies. Getting to a point of tolerance if not outright acceptance for the trans community would be a godsend, though it'd be far from solving all the issues trans folk go through. As I said gender dysphoria needs to be treated and they've only found one successful treatment option for people suffering the condition, that treatment being transition. Transition at the best of times is expensive because insurance basically considers it optional and refuses to cover treatments related to it, even hormone replacement therapy. Even so, transition treatment never fully alleviates gender dysphoria, there is always that little niggling monster in the back of our minds that'll just ruin our day. So even with full acceptance and treatments we still have our own challenges.

I'm not going to say who has worse challenges between trans folk and say schizophrenics, because honestly I only have personal experience in the former. What I will say is that dismissing either is a mistake. Those of us in either situation, or like many trans folk I know who have both going on, need help, because as it stands the mentally ill and trans folk are just being trampled by society at large.

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
Something Amyss said:
You might want to try going back to the prior question, then. Because this here is something nobody's claiming. At least, not in any practical sense.
So if there are no feelings that only a man or only a woman can feel, then how on Earth could someone who is born, raised, educated, etc. as a man claim to "feel" like a woman? That only makes sense if there is some kind of existential experience of womanhood available only to those who are born with it, which again seems suuuper conservative.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
peruvianskys said:
Something Amyss said:
So if there are no feelings that only a man or only a woman can feel, then how on Earth could someone who is born, raised, educated, etc. as a man claim to "feel" like a woman? That only makes sense if there is some kind of existential experience of womanhood available only to those who are born with it, which again seems suuuper conservative.
Well two things, first you're assigning a political stance to something that's more linked to the nature of human beings in general, second you're discounting the existence of sexual dimorphism. It's not something that you could talk about as being just existential, it's part of the nature of humans, because humans are biological creatures. We might be more than the sum of our parts, natures, and experiences, but there is still something else going on. The fact is, men and women are not the same, both sexes might be similarly capable, but there are differences that both sexes have, physiologically and psychologically. The point of base feminism is that those differences don't mean that one gender in better, or worse at any one thing, that both should be equal, and that both can work together for mutual benefit. What radical feminism says is that there are no differences between the sexes and that gender is a social construct that has no basis in biology, thus gender shouldn't exist because everyone is the same. The problem is that idea isn't even biologically true. While there are no mutually exclusive experiences and emotions between men and women, we still have identities, those identities either conform with biology, directly conflict with it, or don't relate to it in a direct manner. That's how gender dysphoria, thus transgender people can exist, that's how people can have identities that relate to both genders at the same time, or neither, instead of just one or the other. Part of it is based in things rooted in biology, part in experience, part in the unconscious mind, and all of that are major parts that combine to make a whole person psychologically.

Well that's at least how it looks to me after spending so much time looking into things like gender identity and sexuality, along with feminist concepts, so there's my two cents.