I don't understand what people find so attractive about women. What is it and why?

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
...Wait, is this supposed to be satire of all the "I don't understand what people see in [popular game]" threads?

OT in case it isn't: That's how we're programmed. For mating purposes, apparently.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
What's your favorite color? Why is that your favorite color?(Hoping you don't have a reason for liking a certain color so this example can work) It's really hard to say why we like the things we do. And because there seems to be no generic immature response yet; boobs, boobs are awesome.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Only objective factors are more physical curvature and longer hair and differing posture / walk creates a smoother greater sense of flow, aesthetically.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
wooty said:
Its like why do some people have similar attractions to cars or guns or *sigh* pc upgrades (true story, shall elaborate another time).
Or why cantaloupe tastes so fucking good...

P.S. I think it's the fallopian tubes. Fallopian tubes are so sexy.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I love women. I never questioned it and I never denied it. I enjoy the company of women and their potential to being future life partners. There are certain aspects of a woman that I am attracted to and I am certain that I will find a woman that would complete me (or at least share a common ground with).

Aside from that, I once fell in love with a woman and I long for that feeling with another wonderful woman.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
people who think ANYTHING is universally beautiful do not understand beauty at all.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
LilithSlave said:
Surely there's some kind of thought process.
Really? Why does there have to be thought process about attraction?

I'm attracted to women. Not all women, of course, because I'm picky / have standards. I've never had to think about why I'm attracted to one woman or another. I'm simply following my instincts.

I'm thinking that the very nature of attraction is caused first by physiological arousal before any kind of thought follows. Thought is what determines our course of action in dealing with this arousal.

What you need to read is a Psychology of Human Sexuality book. I'm sure I have one around here somewhere that maps out attraction in a diagram...

JonnyHG

Nov 7, 2011
LilithSlave said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Short answer: We're programmed to find members of the opposite sex attractive (well, unless you're wired differently, but hey, I don't judge).
Like I said in the OP, I anticipated such a response, but such a simple answer isn't really what I'm asking.

Again, I'm always hearing this sort of response but it doesn't really answer the question at all. I mean, it's the root reason why people are attracted to different things, different wiring. But it doesn't explain what exactly goes through the mind about different stuff.

Furthermore, some stuff about attraction seems downright shallow anyway. Not dating people because they're fat? Come on.
I don't think it's shallow to not be attracted to something that you're not attracted to. That being said, I think fat, large, voluptuous, women can be very sexy. This, of course, is just a personal preference. This is just speculation, but I think a lot of guys are afraid of the ridicule they might face if they were to date a fat women. I think the media has a lot to do with not only what kind of body type women should have, but also what type of woman is socially acceptable to date (at least in the mainstream).

ColorfulObscurity

Mar 1, 2009
Most of the things we find attractive are things that our brains think would be ideal for raising a whole bundle of babies. For women, big boobs mean more milk and more milk means more food for more babies. Wider hips means more room for pushing out babies. For men, being taller and more muscular means a better ability to protect lots of babies.

In short, the reason we see people as attractive is babies.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
lord.jeff said:
What's your favorite color? Why is that your favorite color?
My favourite colour is a mixture of blue and green. Somewhere around teal or so. I find I have a lot of fond memories of these colours because they're associated with many things I like. For instance, I have always enjoyed the relaxing feeling of being in the water. Largely, because for all water actually restricts you more in many ways, it doesn't tie you to the ground as much as air with gravity. Also, my mind associates the colour green with life, natural life, and often life that is healthy to digest such as fruits and vegetables.

As I have many memories I associate positively with these often light blues and greens, due to the memories of fresh fruits and happy swimming, my mind associates these colours with healthiness and vibrance.

I also probably like light colours because of many more positive thoughts associated with the early day as a child. The only time in my early life that I got to enjoy the day as a small child, was weekends when I didn't spend entire mornings in a classroom, and instead doing things I found more fun. And dark colours often reminds of the sunset, a time for things I enjoy doing to end. Because being a young child, as typical I was forced into a bedtime around 8 or 9 PM. So therefor, light colours represent relaxation and fun for me, while dark colours, particularly like dark orange, represent the end of such fun time. And represents unenjoyable responsibility in my mind.

Those are the simple mental basics of what I find aesthetically appealing about my favourite colour.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
LilithSlave said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Short answer: We're programmed to find members of the opposite sex attractive (well, unless you're wired differently, but hey, I don't judge).
Like I said in the OP, I anticipated such a response, but such a simple answer isn't really what I'm asking.

Again, I'm always hearing this sort of response but it doesn't really answer the question at all. I mean, it's the root reason why people are attracted to different things, different wiring. But it doesn't explain what exactly goes through the mind about different stuff. Saying that "it's just programming" just doesn't tell you near enough. It more avoids answering the question that actually answers it.

Furthermore, some stuff about attraction seems downright shallow anyway. Not dating people because they're fat? Come on.
You're asking for a rational explanation of a wholly irrational emotional response. We, as men, see certain women, and we find them attractive - this is an instantaneous occurrence; we don't look at a girl, think about it for a few minutes, and then decide whether or not they are attractive. This is something which we know immediately, and the reason for that is because what we (as men) find attractive is genetically programmed into us.

What you want is justification - why do men find women attractive. The simple answer is we just do. I could attempt to attach ornamental rhetoric to this phenomenon, but that would not be providing the concrete reason as to why I feel that way about women in the first place. That rhetoric would simply be an elaboration on a feeling which I (nor anybody) can possibly begin to explain in a logical manner, simply because attraction is not rational.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Because I really dont have the words to make a long and eloquent speech, I'll just say its because its what interests certain people sexually. As you said, its no better than asking someone why they like men as a male, or any vairation of the gender equation.

Though I'd suggest finding an expert on the human psyche if you want some long and drawn out answer.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
This is a thread...?

Seriously?

Someone needed to ask this question?

Long answer: No, you don't get a long answer. This thread is bad and you should feel bad :D

It's okay the music was inside of you the whole time! Whoop Nevermind YOURE BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD!

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
What matters reason, and the justification for [my] happiness, said Nietzsche. I wholeheartedly.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
LilithSlave said:
lord.jeff said:
What's your favorite color? Why is that your favorite color?
My favourite colour is a mixture of blue and green. Somewhere around teal or so. I find I have a lot of fond memories of these colours because they're associated with many things I like. For instance, I have always enjoyed the relaxing feeling of being in the water. Largely, because for all water actually restricts you more in many ways, it doesn't tie you to the ground as much as air with gravity. Also, my mind associates the colour green with life, natural life, and often life that is healthy to digest such as fruits and vegetables.

As I have many memories I associate positively with these often light blues and greens, due to the memories of fresh fruits and happy swimming, my mind associates these colours with healthiness and vibrance.

I also probably like light colours because of many more positive thoughts associated with the early day as a child. The only time in my early life that I got to enjoy the day as a small child, was weekends when I didn't spend entire mornings in a classroom, and instead doing things I found more fun. And dark colours often reminds of the sunset, a time for things I enjoy doing to end. Because being a young child, as typical I was forced into a bedtime around 8 or 9 PM. So therefor, light colours represent relaxation and fun for me, while dark colours, particularly like dark orange, represent the end of such fun time. And represents unenjoyable responsibility in my mind.

Those are the simple mental basics of what I find aesthetically appealing about my favourite colour.
Crap, I thought that would happen, one more try why do you like spicy things(or whatever flavor you prefer, I happen to like spicy)? You may have a reason for like that too but I hope you get what I'm getting at, we like things sometimes for no reason other then we need something to like.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
Generalization. People will say things and not really mean it in regards to everyone so they generalize. I don't think there is a guy out there who finds every single woman in the world sexually attractive.

Also, many people like to glorify what they like or desire. This makes their desires seem more important. As far as why some people like the things they like, you're going to have to ask them. Each and every one of them.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
Well, I'm a bisexual male with a slight male preference, I find women attractive as well, but I've always found that I've always found that society's vision of beauty for both sexes just didn't work for me.

Hmm... I think it has something to do with curves, the female body has far more curves than the male body, at least that's what I'VE always found attractive in the opposite sex.

I'm with you on most of those points though, I've never found any of the a-typical female "parts" very attractive myself.

But then again, I'm a little weird about who I'm attracted to. (Example: If you where to ask me which celebrity I find most attractive of either sex I'd say Sonny Moore AKA Skrillex)
So maybe I'm a bad example :p

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I don't find women or men attractive, I find individuals attractive. Women are not objectively attrative, different types will elicit different reactions in people, it's not just you like this anatomy part over another, you like how this particular anatomy part looks on this particular person. As for just why do you find x attractive to begin with, you may as well be asking someone why there into a certain fetish, nobody knows. There is absolutely fuck all logic to attraction, don't hurt yourself trying to figure it out. As for why women's beauty is emphasised much more so than Men in literature, media, advertising etc. that probably stems back from the attitude back when gender roles were actually relevant and women were seen as demure and radiant creatures whom the Romantic era poets would put on a pedestal to try and get into their pants. Those dudes were the original 'Nice Guys'. XD And now that I've laughed at my own joke like the smug, self-aggrandising **** that I am, let me continue my meandering attempt to reach a point by saying that to a degree I think this attitude still subconsciously exists in many people's mindsets. Also, this is basically a kind of anecdotal generalisation which should be taken for what it's worth (fuck all) but from what I've seen men are a lot more immature and insecure when it comes to admitting any kind of attraction towards a male, paranoid that their peers will label, deride and ostracise whilst society is much more tolerant towards appreciation towards the female form from the perspective of either gender. I hope you might find some kind of half baked, twisted reasoning in my ramblings.