I dropped out of college.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I'm kinda torn on this. I know some people don't have any interest in higher education, and that's fine. I'm pursuing a degree because I want to, not because I need to. If it gets me a decent job, then I'll cheer. If not, I'll just join the droves of overqualified folks that populate any damn city.

My heart is saying "No, it's a goddamn mistake. You're missing out on a chance of personal development, to find out more stuff about yourself and the world you're in. You're missing out on a chance to really get to fine-tune what you want out of life."

My head, on the other hand, is going. "Yeah, I can see why you'd do that. The economy is in a rather precarious state and there isn't a single post-grad student that can be absolutely sure of leaving with a job offer in hand. Supposedly menial tasks are in high demand, with the only professional sectors that are still booming being nursing and medicine. There's six billion of us and the population is growing older. Makes complete sense.

Outside of those fields, though? You might as well weld pipes together. You'll still get your lot in life."

All I can say is good luck. I hope you'll find something that makes you happy and, failing that, that you'll be ready to give college a decent shot.

Hell-On-Wheels

Sep 30, 2011
I spent a grand total of 5 months in college before dropping out. My major was Radio and TV Engineering. I always had an interest in radio (which later manifested into a amateur radio general class license), so I thought it would be a good field for me to go in. It didn't take long for me to sour on the course though.

Currently, I am a freight conductor with Union Pacific. I'm also a lot happier with the way my life is headed.

So, OP, it's not all doom and gloom after dropping out of college.