I finally broke down and bought a 3DS

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
With the NX on the horizon, and assuming that it won't be a total, abysmal desaster, and assuming that the rumors about it being also a handheld, too, what is the point of getting a 3DS now?

Tomodachi Life. Hopefully, it will get a sequel, but this is the most interesting game on that system to me.

Watch some videos before you buy, it's obscure. But, without having played it but having seen it being played for tens of hours, I'd recommend it blindly if you like this kind of stuff.

But aren't you a bit concerned now with the rumors about the NX?

3D though is for me the best part about a 3DS, tbh.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
I recommend Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Super Mario 3D Land, Pokemon X/Y, and Bravely Default. You could also get the remakes of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Naldan said:
With the NX on the horizon, and assuming that it won't be a total, abysmal desaster, and assuming that the rumors about it being also a handheld, too, what is the point of getting a 3DS now?
Well, for starters those are rumors. I have previously stated on this forum that I don't hold too much faith in unsubstantiated rumors.

We have no idea when it will come out and what it will be. We don't even have a confirmed name. Yes, we have the name of NX. And it's a cool name that I like, but that might just because it sounds like some Xtreme! 90's name. But I don't hold any illusion that it will be the name of the system. If you think it will be, I would introduce you to the Nintendo Dolphin, Nintendo Revolution, and the Sony Morpheus. I'm bringing this up just to highlight how little we actually know.

And the longer it takes Nintendo to announce anything official, the less likely it looks like the NX will be coming out this year.

Besides I'm perfectly happy with my PS4, so I may not even buy the NX, no matter what it is. I'm cheap so spending $400 on a new system to play Mario and Zelda isn't something I can rationalize too easily.

Also, I wanted a 3DS.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Saltyk said:
Naldan said:
Well, for starters those are rumors. I have previously stated on this forum that I don't hold too much faith in unsubstantiated rumors.

We have no idea when it will come out and what it will be. We don't even have a confirmed name. Yes, we have the name of NX. And it's a cool name that I like, but that might just because it sounds like some Xtreme! 90's name. But I don't hold any illusion that it will be the name of the system. If you think it will be, I would introduce you to the Nintendo Dolphin, Nintendo Revolution, and the Sony Morpheus. I'm bringing this up just to highlight how little we actually know.

And the longer it takes Nintendo to announce anything official, the less likely it looks like the NX will be coming out this year.

Besides I'm perfectly happy with my PS4, so I may not even buy the NX, no matter what it is. I'm cheap so spending $400 on a new system to play Mario and Zelda isn't something I can rationalize too easily.

Also, I wanted a 3DS.
Wii U is $300....

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
The 3D is vastly better with the new 3DS since it tracks your head and will alter the 3D to work with it. So, while it's not needed, it can still be fun to mess with. I had the XL before and the 3D was worthless, having to be so specific where it was, wasn't any fun. With the new 3DS it really tracks super well and is good fun in spurts I guess. Then again tech amuses me in weird ways. OOOO Blast processing~! :O

I have games for my 3DS but I don't play it much either. I get more milage out of my PSP still (Yes, my PSP, not Vita or DS) but I have built up a decent library of 3DS games which is more than I can say for the DS which I hated because they felt the need to use both screens all the time. Sonic Rush had Sonic zipping between screens, no thanks. Castlevania had the seal thing to stop a boss from respawning...no thanks. Seriously maybe enjoy 3 games on the system...Vs the 3DS where I have 12 games...vs my 27 PSP games.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
Saltyk said:
Naldan said:

Also, I wanted a 3DS.
Wii U is $300....
And games are 50 to 60 bucks.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I actually owe money to The G-Men so...yeah...not so much that I'm contemplating suicide more than usual but enough that I'm really annoyed. Though I could have owed a dollar and it would have been annoying to me. The thing is, I DID recently spend money that I really shouldn't have on something that I probably should have waited on and I'm not sure how to talk about it without sounding like I'm desperate...I bought an Elgato! That doesn't sound desperate in itself but what would make it sound desperate would be if I were to start talking about my fledgling Youtube Channel whereon I'm playing through Pokemon Green in one series and Fallout 3 in a slightly newer series with a third series of Let's Play in the works...I need to get some actual editing software before I can start making top 10 lists though once I start gaining momentum (well...IF I start gaining momentum) I should still be able to start beef with actual famous youtubers by playing games others have failed to beat. Just drop the 25 from my name and you can check out my channel...not that I'm promoting myself.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Yoshi178 said:
Saltyk said:
Naldan said:

Also, I wanted a 3DS.
Wii U is $300....
My mortgage is not...

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Naldan said:
The 3DS is available now, not who-know-when.

The 3DS has been out for a while, affordable and you know exactly what you're getting. Whe know next to nothing about the NX. Heck, even the name might change.

There many great games available for the 3DS and some can be bought for dirt cheap. The NX's library consists of rumours and things that will be released who-knows-when-could-be-years-from-now.

Basically, if you want to play games now, you get a 3DS.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Shile I don't used the 3D feature at all (only tried it once or twice) but I still prefer having it over the 2DS due to the fact it's more portable. (WTF? Why get rid of the clamp folding design for the 2DS?)

Also I recommend these games-

Little Battler Experience (underrated)
Super Smash Brother Brawl
Monster Hunger 4 Ultimate but ONLY if you got 3 others to played with! (You can still play alone of with other strangers online but it's much more fun playing with others you know)
Fire Emblem Awakenning or Fate (UK haven't got Fate yet)
One of the Professor Layton games

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
NPC009 said:
Naldan said:
The 3DS is available now, not who-know-when.

The 3DS has been out for a while, affordable and you know exactly what you're getting. Whe know next to nothing about the NX. Heck, even the name might change.

There many great games available for the 3DS and some can be bought for dirt cheap. The NX's library consists of rumours and things that will be released who-knows-when-could-be-years-from-now.

Basically, if you want to play games now, you get a 3DS.
Well, E3 is around the corner. Maybe my backlog is so big that I feel like it were next-to-nothing waiting time.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Scarim Coral said:
Shile I don't used the 3D feature at all (only tried it once or twice) but I still prefer having it over the 2DS due to the fact it's more portable. (WTF? Why get rid of the clamp folding design for the 2DS?)

The 2DS was designed with young children in mind. The clam shell design was one of the more fragile things about the 3DS (and DS and GBA SP), and small children tend to snap it open with a lot of force. I've seen a few handhelds nearly snapped in two. Those were the lucky ones. Google something like '3DS snapped in two', if you're in the mood for some violence against handhelds. Kids also excel in fucking up the touch screen by applying way too much force with the stylus, but there's not much you can do about that as a designer.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Saltyk said:
Yoshi178 said:
Saltyk said:
Naldan said:

Also, I wanted a 3DS.
Wii U is $300....
My mortgage is not...
you should stop playing video games all together then if that's your excuse.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Saltyk said:
Anyway, did you buy anything of interest with tax return money?
Well I did buy a PS4. Only problem was it turned out that the PS4 was defective and would eject the disc of the game I was playing every couple of minutes and would not allow me to put the game back in unless I turned off the console. Sony wanted to charge me $150 for the repairs so I just took it back to Best Buy since it had only been in my possession for less than a week. So now I'm stuck with 7 PS4 games and no PS4 to play them on. T^T
What was even worse was the purchase of the PS4 on my debit card got me in trouble with the bank because it exceeded my daily spending limit so my checking account got locked and they had to send me a new card out of fear I had been compromised. So I ended up losing everything this tax season and have nothing to show for it. Yay...

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Roxas1359 said:
Saltyk said:
Anyway, did you buy anything of interest with tax return money?
Well I did buy a PS4. Only problem was it turned out that the PS4 was defective and would eject the disc of the game I was playing every couple of minutes and would not allow me to put the game back in unless I turned off the console. Sony wanted to charge me $150 for the repairs so I just took it back to Best Buy since it had only been in my possession for less than a week. So now I'm stuck with 7 PS4 games and no PS4 to play them on. T^T
What was even worse was the purchase of the PS4 on my debit card got me in trouble with the bank because it exceeded my daily spending limit so my checking account got locked and they had to send me a new card out of fear I had been compromised. So I ended up losing everything this tax season and have nothing to show for it. Yay...
What? Shouldn't it have been under warranty? I had to send my PS4 to Sony after a friend's electrical outlet surged and fired it. And they replaced it for free because it was under warranty.

Failing that, shouldn't Best Buy replace it since you had literally bought it a week ago? Even if it was used, I would think Best Buy has a policy about defective products.

Sorry to hear about the bank trouble. Last year my old bank couldn't even send me a new debit card by the expiration date. I spent a month having to go to the branch and withdrawal money for groceries, gas, and such. Mind you I couldn't go to an ATM because I didn't have a card. I almost missed seeing Resurrection F in theaters with my friends because of this whole ordeal. Trust me when I say I feel you on that one.

I did change banks when I finally had enough. Best part: I walked out with a debit card. They made them on the site. [small](Was that so hard!?)[/small]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Saltyk said:
What? Shouldn't it have been under warranty? I had to send my PS4 to Sony after a friend's electrical outlet surged and fired it. And they replaced it for free because it was under warranty.

Failing that, shouldn't Best Buy replace it since you had literally bought it a week ago? Even if it was used, I would think Best Buy has a policy about defective products.

Sorry to hear about the bank trouble. Last year my old bank couldn't even send me a new debit card by the expiration date. I spent a month having to go to the branch and withdrawal money for groceries, gas, and such. Mind you I couldn't go to an ATM because I didn't have a card. I almost missed seeing Resurrection F in theaters with my friends because of this whole ordeal. Trust me when I say I feel you on that one.

I did change banks when I finally had enough. Best part: I walked out with a debit card. They made them on the site. [small](Was that so hard!?)[/small]
Best Buy was unable to replace it due to not having another refurbished one in stock. That's where my trouble came out, I had to buy a refurbished one because I wasn't going to pay for the CoD bundle since I don't like CoD games to begin with and thought I was getting a good deal for the refurbished one. Because of that I didn't have the warranty on it from Sony so that's why they wanted to charge me for it. In the end I got a full refund which is good, and they gave me no hassle when returning the PS4 either. I told them the problem and they put the PS4 aside so that they didn't accidentally resell it.

As for my bank, really this is the first time I've ever had a problem like this from my bank which is why it surprised me so much. Now I know the limits that I have on my account and while the week was a pain to get through I received my new card yesterday and was able to activate it with no real issues. If you don't mind me asking what was your old bank? My current one is Union Bank and as I've mentioned before it is really not a bad bank and this was the only time I ever had any issues with it.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Roxas1359 said:
Saltyk said:

Best Buy was unable to replace it due to not having another refurbished one in stock. That's where my trouble came out, I had to buy a refurbished one because I wasn't going to pay for the CoD bundle since I don't like CoD games to begin with and thought I was getting a good deal for the refurbished one. Because of that I didn't have the warranty on it from Sony so that's why they wanted to charge me for it. In the end I got a full refund which is good, and they gave me no hassle when returning the PS4 either. I told them the problem and they put the PS4 aside so that they didn't accidentally resell it.

As for my bank, really this is the first time I've ever had a problem like this from my bank which is why it surprised me so much. Now I know the limits that I have on my account and while the week was a pain to get through I received my new card yesterday and was able to activate it with no real issues. If you don't mind me asking what was your old bank? My current one is Union Bank and as I've mentioned before it is really not a bad bank and this was the only time I ever had any issues with it.
Okay, I figured it was something like that, but wanted to make sure. I'm glad that you got a refund. You might try Gamestop. I actually had a really positive experience with Sony when I had to send mine in. There were minor complications (they had apparently moved information to a new server and it took them a minute to find my extended warranty information) but they did make it as painless as possible.

I banked with Suntrust before. I'm really not sure what was wrong. I really hadn't had issues in the past. Hell, they even forgave two overdraft fees for me in the past. Though, it took me a great deal of effort (and at least one branch lied to my face) to resolve the whole thing, and I blamed them for misleading me on my balance which led to the overdraft in the first place. Actually looking back on it, it was like they got worse over that period of time and it just culminated in failing to give me a new debit card. I had been in so much that one of the tellers recognized me on sight and always knew I was there because of the card.

At one point, after about three failed attempts, we looked into it and they had my delivery address as some PO Box in another state. Fixed it, put it on priority mail (2-3 day delivery) and I still didn't get the card. Combined with the fact that I almost missed Resurrection F, as I mentioned before, and I was livid when I went in to the bank next.

I bank with Chase, now, and I don't have any issues with them. They make debit cards at the branch, too, so this should never be an issue in the future.

Really just sounds like your bank was trying to ensure your account wasn't compromised. They might have been slightly overzealous, but I don't think there was malice in their actions.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Saelune said:
I have the tiny hands D:

I think we just need options. Its why I hated that the new 3DS only released in XL in the US at first. They fixed that now though. I also remember when the S controller for the original Xbox came out, and I was thrilled, but my dad always preferred the first ones cause they fit his hands better. I wish we had more size choices more often, at least a big and small, though as I said, I have smaller than usual hands, so even still a lot of controllers are a tad too big.
Yeah, options are good. One of the things I hate about adopting a PS4 is that I really like the 360 controller in my hands. Dualoshocks always felt small and brittle. Admittedly, I'm convinced at least part of my lineage is Kong. I certainly won't begrudge people having more options. It's one of the things I liked about them coming out with the XL line in the first place. Though at first I worried it was going to be too big. HA!

It really can be awkward finding this sort of thing out, though. I'm used to being able to palm a tablet, for example, and the one I got a year ago is just slightly larger than the old one. So grabbing it in one hand like one would a phone is now uncomfortable after very little time. It's hard to know that even trying a demo model at a store.