I finally figured out why I refuse to watch... that one show. You know the one. The girly one.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Yep. It's a My Little Pony topic. Yep. I realize that by making this topic I am contributing to my own issue with there being too many pony topics. And yep, I realize that many of you have already left this topic with an exasperated "you're not helping" sigh. But I'm on my meager lunch break, so I find myself pressured to put this out here regardless.

Anyway, I admit that Lauren Faust is good at what she does. Powerpuff Girls is and always will be one of my favorite cartoons. I admit that MLP is quite possibly good. I even admit that if I watched it, I might like it. But I won't watch it, ever. And it's all your fault.

I never, EVER, want to be a brony or confused for a brony. I've seen how annoying some bronies can be about MLP, and why so many people hate you guys for those loudmouths. My concern is that I may become that guy and frankly, I don't want to be more annoying than I already am. I kind of like some of these people. The other problem is that even if I DO resist the urge to vomit Fluttershy facts on people, the instant someone knows I watch the show, they'll assume I am a brony and either mock me or, if they are a brony too, turn the whole conversation into a pony one. It's just too much hassle for me to have to deal with for watching one stupid cartoon. It ain't worth it, especially since their are dozens of other great shows to watch with fanbases that aren't exceptionally annoying.

So there you have it. If you agree, then good for you. If you think I'm just making excuses and are giving into peer pressure, then I give you a hearty "Yea, maybe." Either way, I don't really care.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I watched the show and just didn't find anything particularly entertaining or interesting about it, so I moved on with my life. There are plenty of other shows that I find funnier, plenty of shows where I like the characters more, and plenty of shows with better animation.

So for me, MLP does absolutely nothing that quite a large handful of shows can't do better.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
If you aren't outspoken about things, you won't be outspoken about MLP. I generally do my best to avoid talking about ponies, and it has done well for me. Only a handful of people know I have been assimilated. I only know a few other bronies and we don't talk about MLP.

But it seems you are pulling the Fox News schtick of associating the many with the acts of the few. A few bronies are very odd indeed (Rule 34, cannot be unseen), but most are just average blokes/blokettes that enjoy the show.

Take it from a guy who was in your shoes, go in with the mindset that its just another cartoon and it will be just another cartoon.

SPARTANXIII

Nov 24, 2009
Yeah, there's some of us who are TOO heavy handed and some of them who look upon Ponies like the bubonic plague. Really, you should make your own decisions about whether or not you watch the show.

Its your life, nobody is forcing you one way or the other.

(That being said, you're gonna draw the civil war, and that's never good for a topic, so....best to wear a fireproof suit)

Phishfood

Jul 21, 2009
Oh, I must admit this made me laugh some. That is one of the oddest reasons to not watch a show ever. I'll admit, I had a similar issue with Buffy. Loads of people tried to get me to watch it, but all they could tell me was "SMG is hot". I wish I had listened, it turns out it was awesome.

Anyhoo, my point here is don't let other people decide what you do! You clearly have a brain, use it and make up your own mind. You don't have to talk about it afterwards. People can't force you to have a conversation you don't want and you shouldn't miss out on something you might enjoy because of other people.

ADHD version:

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
I watched on /co/ as this kind of came into being, and I have come to the conclusion that there are two types of pony fans: Those that enjoy the show, talk about it with other like-minded individuals and shut the fuck up about it unless i's relevant to the topic at hand or can be used to humorously point something out, the "Bronies", and the guys who are loud and annoying, pissing everyone off about everything about the show, won't shut up, and get a persecution complex on par with other, incredibly vocal, minorities that do nothing more than ***** and whine, the "ponyfags". Thing is, is that every single fandom is like this, for the best example, I love Sonic, the show (not Sonic X, that can die in a fire) and most of the games, and I allow this because I am secure in the fact that I am not stooped to Chris-chan's level of idiocy.

The fact that you allow a vocal minority of dumbshits keep you from liking anything to me, is a sign of weakness. I like what I like, other people be damned in their opinions, whether it's the shows I watch, the games I play, or hell, even the books I read.

Benny Blanco

Jan 23, 2008
Jack the Potato said:
Yep. It's a My Little Pony topic. Yep. I realize that by making this topic I am contributing to my own issue with there being too many pony topics. And yep, I realize that many of you have already left this topic with an exasperated "you're not helping" sigh. But I'm on my meager lunch break, so I find myself pressured to put this out here regardless.

Anyway, I admit that Lauren Faust is good at what she does. Powerpuff Girls is and always will be one of my favorite cartoons. I admit that MLP is quite possibly good. I even admit that if I watched it, I might like it. But I won't watch it, ever. And it's all your fault.

I never, EVER, want to be a brony or confused for a brony. I've seen how annoying some bronies can be about MLP, and why so many people hate you guys for those loudmouths. My concern is that I may become that guy and frankly, I don't want to be more annoying than I already am. I kind of like some of these people. The other problem is that even if I DO resist the urge to vomit Fluttershy facts on people, the instant someone knows I watch the show, they'll assume I am a brony and either mock me or, if they are a brony too, turn the whole conversation into a pony one. It's just too much hassle for me to have to deal with for watching one stupid cartoon. It ain't worth it, especially since their are dozens of other great shows to watch with fanbases that aren't exceptionally annoying.

So there you have it. If you agree, then good for you. If you think I'm just making excuses and are giving into peer pressure, then I give you a hearty "Yea, maybe." Either way, I don't really care.
Well done, you're a well adjusted 22 year old man.

What the hell are you doing on the escapist?

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
Fayathon said:
I watched on /co/ as this kind of came into being, and I have come to the conclusion that there are two types of pony fans: Those that enjoy the show, talk about it with other like-minded individuals and shut the fuck up about it unless i's relevant to the topic at hand or can be used to humorously point something out, the "Bronies", and the guys who are loud and annoying, pissing everyone off about everything about the show, won't shut up, and get a persecution complex on par with other, incredibly vocal, minorities that do nothing more than ***** and whine, the "ponyfags". Thing is, is that every single fandom is like this, for the best example, I love Sonic, the show (not Sonic X, that can die in a fire) and most of the games, and I allow this because I am secure in the fact that I am not stooped to Chris-chan's level of idiocy.

The fact that you allow a vocal minority of dumbshits keep you from liking anything to me, is a sign of weakness. I like what I like, other people be damned in their opinions, whether it's the shows I watch, the games I play, or hell, even the books I read.
You missed my point, though. I don't honestly give two shits about what people think about me. I DO hate to be inconvenienced by anything, and at this point liking MLP sounds like it'll just add extra hassle to my life. Being a brony or being confused for a brony will give me nothing but aggravation.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
i watch but don't really consider myself a brony. and if you don't talk about it with people off the internets then you are fine.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Shit man, watch out, you called the show made for little girls girly, here they come to castrate you.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Meh, opinions are opinions. MLP is still better than Doctor Who, by a mile.......a country one.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Maybe this isn't true, but that post makes it sound like you have some serious self-confidence issues. If you want to watch it, watch it. If you don't, don't. You don't even have to mention it to anyone else in the universe if you're afraid of being "inconvenienced" by it, so I just don't understand your reasoning at all.

It hasn't affected my life in any major way at all, apart from the fact that I have a good TV show to watch every week.

Korbo

Mar 2, 2011
Fair do's. I can see why you would say that. That's why I usually consider myself a closet furry to separate myself from the stereotype. Although, it's not like you have to mention it to anyone. I don't see why you think it could be a hassle though, because I don't know about you, but I find that avoiding a conversation is as simple as not starting it.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
If you enjoy it, why don't you just watch it...and not talk about to with people you know will make a big deal about it (either good or bad)?

I watch MLP, and I have to say that I don't feel compelled to discuss it in my daily life on a general basis. I know, I'm a girl, so it's 'OK' (yeesh), but that doesn't change the fact that most people in your life don't care about the cartoons you watch, and the ones who do...well, just don't mention it to them!

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Abandon4093 said:
lunncal said:
Maybe this isn't true, but that post makes it sound like you have some serious self-confidence issues. If you want to watch it, watch it. If you don't, don't. You don't even have to mention it to anyone else in the universe if you're afraid of being "inconvenienced" by it, so I just don't understand your reasoning at all.

It hasn't affected my life in any major way at all, apart from the fact that I have a good TV show to watch every week.
No it didn't. It sounded like he didn't want to become an annoying fan who gushes over something because he's seen how annoying those people can be.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
Really? Oh, that's fair enough then. I assume he doesn't like anything ever in the history of the universe, since you know, if you like something you might end up being an annoying fan.

No wait, that's just retarded. Care to explain again? I still don't get the issue at all.

Sagacious Zhu

Oct 17, 2011
I understand where you're coming from; any fandom the size of the MLP fandom is bound to attract nuts of all flavors but that's a reason to steer clear of the fandom rather than the show. I know it's hard to divorce the show from the fandom that made it popular but it's possible to enjoy the show without posting "1001 Why Rarity is Best Pony"

If you don't want to watch the show because it doesn't interest you, then don't watch it. But don't let the fandom scare you off. Believe it or not, there are (mostly) sane fans of the show out there; they're just drowned out by the cries of "FLUTTERSHAI IS MAI WAIFU"

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Fayathon said:

I agree with you, I like to think im the first type you mentioned.

OP: Fair enough, even some of my friends that are bronies annoy me, and Im a brony ( ilike the word brony ok, its fun to say!)

DPeteD

May 29, 2011
What? just because im a brony im automatically annoying and you will also become annoying, wow thats just pretty stupid you must have no will power.
also yes there is no need for another pony thread no really cares about this decision of yours your probably just annoying non bronies yourself,which is what you set out not to do.

sorry if i come off as a jerk, but i dont see this as a major inconvenience