I finally watched Green Lantern

Fsyco

Feb 18, 2014
Eddie the head said:
irishda said:
You have to remember, OP, that this is a movie based on a DC property. Hence Bob's abject hatred of it.
I really hate this mentality.
Me too. Sure, Bob has his biases, but so does everyone else. And to be fair to him, there have been a lot of pretty poor DC comics movies, and Marvel does in fact appear to be 'winning' the comic-movie-thing. Or that's the impression I get anyway. I was never really into Marvel or DC much.

OT: Haven't seen Green Lantern but MovieBob makes it sound pretty awful. I guess I'll just wait for the Nostalgia Critic or one of his colleagues to do a video on it. Maybe Bob should do his own TGWTG-style review show for movies he finds exceptionally awful? I know I'd watch it. Although I hope he wouldn't do the thing of trying to have plots in his reviews.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I don't read DC comics but the movie wasn't too bad, it's not great but definitely not as bad as Bob claims it to be.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Flatfrog said:
I'm interested to wonder why it failed so badly. The only thing I can assume is that they fucked up the marketing, promising the viewers something they didn't deliver.
It failed mainly because the budget was enormous (it's supposedly $200 million, which is high enough, but from what I know it was higher than that, and that's not even counting the marketing budget, which was probably another £50-£100 million) and it was very bland and predictable.
Iron Man and Captain America had a great origin stories, The Dark Knight had the Joker (and also it was Batman and even the worst Batman movies make a profit), Green Lantern didn't really have anything worth talking about aside from the fact that they didn't make a good adaptation of the source material.

If the budget was S100 million, it would be a minor profit and they could go ahead and make another one, this time with the name already ringing a bell, but they spent too much money and that was their biggest mistake.

jetriot

Sep 9, 2011
The movie was just a hollow mess, nowhere near as good as Thor or the X-Men movies(even the awful last one). This is not an opinion isolated to comic fans as the movies is universally hated by critics while movies like Thor generally received high praise by people who have little to no interest in comic books. That said, I am glad someone enjoyed the movie, it was not the worst movie ever made but is certainly one of the worst in recent years with such a large budget(Avatar is far worse though).

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Really enjoyed it, though that could be due to that i dont read the comics. I think they should of got rid of the cgi costume as that was pointless and just cost money for no real reason. They also set up Sinestro as a movie 2 villian, which would have been good as you would have that personal connection between heroes and villians. An also that Sinestro turned to yellow in a bid to do good - which would make for a good character.

Hopefully they will make a new one, but put more work in it. After all, as one of the Justice League, they will have to deal with him at some point.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Flatfrog said:
MovieBob's cry of desperate pain in the guise of a review
If you've seen more than say, 5 episodes of Escape to the Movie, you should be used to the huge levels of hyperbole Bob throws at things he likes or doesn't like. I'm pretty sure he will still be ranting about Amazing Spider-Man six months after the third reboot (not movie) since ASM drops.

This isn't an insult. You just have to take him with a grain of salt.

Green Lantern really was okay, though. There's nothing spectacular or outstanding about it. Good or bad. I had fun with it, so my review from my blog was a slightly positive one, but it's just....There.
HardkorSB said:
It failed mainly because the budget was enormous (it's supposedly $200 million, which is high enough, but from what I know it was higher than that, and that's not even counting the marketing budget, which was probably another £50-£100 million) and it was very bland and predictable.
It also doesn't hurt that the costume was kind of bad, and that's what a lot of people took from the promos. I swear, I thought it was going to be the "Bat-Nipples" all over again. When people associate your product with something that stupid, they are discinlined to watch.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Never been a fan of the comics, but this movie was all over the place.

Firstly, Ryan Reynolds, who is appalling. And he's playing that stock insufferable tosser complaining about how much his life sucks, when he's got a great job, women are throwing themselves at him, and he can be as irresponsible as he likes and people still put up with him.

They had some good bits, like when he goes to the Green Lantern world...which was a tiny part of the movie, the rest is painful superhero whining.

The pacing was all over the place, and the fights were mostly just random CGI throw at the screen. The plot was bad even for a superhero movie.

I did like the bit where he is recognised straight away, though.

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
The power to create anything he can think of and the man's versatility is limited to what you'd find in the shed.

Swords and boxing gloves, really? You don't have to be a genius to think of something a little more advanced than the most basic weapons/inventions you've seen. I guess it might be an attempt to keep things "realistic" since most mouth-breathers aren't willing to accept anything kind of thinking beyond accepting a "silly premise". They tone down everything in just about every comic-book movie to the absurd. This especially annoyed me in Thor, though they came close to making up for it in Man of Steel.

When have neither the depth or quality storytelling of certain comics, nor the larger than life, planet-exploding incredulousness of some, then you're basically left with a skeleton of a story. I feel that I'm not able to convey my concerns very well here, but this and a lot of other comic-book movies felt a compromise that satisfied neither end of the spectrum.