I get insulted because I buy my music...wait, what?

Solid Reece

Nov 19, 2010
YepGeddon said:
lbucyk said:
YepGeddon said:
I got insulted for enjoying anime, infact I still do. Pah, people are so narrowminded ¬¬ But kudos to you for supporting the industry, the world needs more people like yourself.
Why. I still watch kids shows and games and im 16
I still verily enjoy watching anime and I'm 18. Apparently thats out of the ordinary for my friends. But then strangely enough I go to work, and BOOM every fucker and their mother loves anime, and I have a great time. :D
anime is great. Why don't ypu tell them they should try watching it

ToxicOranges

Aug 7, 2010
Whilst technically not an insult, loads of people call me ginger, despite my blond / brown hair?

It does tend to annoy me, but haters gonna hate I guess, stupid immature people will always be stupid and immature.

dlsevern

Jan 2, 2011
I got insulted for the fact that I like to buy CD's instead of using and ipod or mp3 player. Sorry folks but I enjoy the artwork on the covers and the fact that some of the songs on an album are extremely difficult to find for said equipment.

TheDarkestDerp

Dec 6, 2010
badgersprite said:
Marter said:
I got insulted for not liking Napoleon Dynamite.

Yeah...
You too?

Also, I have had people sneer at me because I carry a student bag instead of a handbag, especially the fact that I don't own any kind of designer bag at all. Yes, so apparently I'm an idiot for not spending a thousand dollars on an inconvenient, fat, ugly looking bag with a bunch of G's stamped on it. Remind me why I always seem to have more money than you girls?
All of the above- agreed 100%. I couldn't sit through five minutes of that movie without getting a headache, and designer labels baffle me. I'll splurge on a new outfit now and then, a nice dress for dancing, some new club gear, but a bag's a bag and the money I don't spend on a Guchi goes to seeing the movies umpteen times or something else I'll enjoy a helluva lot more than celeb-endorsed swag.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
For not liking Halo.
Not watching certain movies.
Not listening to music often.

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
00slash00 said:
GiantRaven said:
I wonder how all the music pirates are going to feel if they drive all musicians out of their artistic medium due to the lack of funds.

A rather extreme idea perhaps but it bears thinking about.
its the record labels that make money off cd sales. the bulk of a bands profit comes from merchandise and touring
And if the record company makes no money from a band's CD, how long do you think they'll be signed for?

Antidrall said:
Hating all pop music.
That's not really a stupid thing to be insulted for. For 2 reasons.

Reason #1: It's incredibly close minded of you to just every single piece of music that falls under a particular genre.

Reason #2: It's called pop music for a reason, it's popular. So if you go around saying you hate something that most people like, then you can't be surprised when someone calls you out on it.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
Singularly Datarific said:
Anyways, I've been made fun of for playing Trombone.
"Gay," they claimed.
How much more heterosexual of an instrument can you get? It's a 4 foot-long instrument with an extending slide!
The Tuba?

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
tombman888 said:
Well, the list includes:
for Reading books
for Playing video games
for watching Anime
for playing Starcraft 1 and 2
for having a girlfriend (and at the age of 15 too, I mean, seriously?)
for writing
Fix'd a bit so it suits me and I'll add for singing in a choir. Even though almost everyone in the country knows how bad-ass the choir I sing in is (best in the country, one of the better choirs in the region, full of kewl people), and that I sing bass, which is the manliest voice.
Oh: Also for hating Southpark, and most pop music. For listening to classic music.... I'll add more later, probably.
Yep: Disliking Twilight.

Aug 26, 2008
Yeah it does seem a little silly that someone is insulting you for your choice to buy. Doesn't matter that much even if you are supporting a dying distribution method. If thats what you like then that's what you like.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
GiantRaven said:
Tipsy Giant said:
I am currently working hard to prove you can record an album for free (more of an EP atm) so hopefully it will stand as proof that you don't need to spend millions in a studio, you just need to bash it out in a couple of weeks, white stripes style
And that is awesome but sadly, it is the exception and not the norm.

What kind of stuff do you do?
Hip-Hop, kind of a mix between old school funky Hip-Hop and the new british scene of DJs and MCs, it's kinda hard to explain but if you are interested we should have the EP finished by the end of next week so I can post a link to you for the free download and you can be a part of the revolution by passing on the word

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
A Raging Emo said:
I've been insulted for being named "James".

I quite like the name James, and even if I didn't, it still wasn't my choice to be named that.
You've been insulted because you have the name, "James?" What idiots would do that?

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
kevo.mf.last said:
Tipsy Giant said:
Ok I have to word this carefully to avoid moderator wrath....

With movies and videogames the only experience is the product so piracy is technically removing the chance of income and therefor it can be argued that piracy is a moral wrong.
However where music differs is in the distribution and consumption. When purchasing an album the money goes to the record company who then keeps between 88 and 95 percent of the money, the remainder is used toward paying for the advance, recording, promotion, manufacturing, distribution etc, which means that the artist/band only start receiving royalties once they have sold quite a high volume usually in the Millions.

It then becomes arguable that if you were to download the bands entire back catalogue instead of purchasing and subsequently attend one concert, even if the ticket price is the same as one album, you would be contributing more to the artist than someone who had purchased every album as the artist receives 100 percent of the ticket (minus venue hire etc)

It is a very tricky subject to discuss on the escapist as they are quite keen to suspend for even mentioning piracy in a positive light, but let me leave you with this, if (and granted it is a large if) all artists started releasing their recorded works for free, would the artists be making the same amount of money they do now and would they still feel the need to make music for a specific demographic or would it liberate the artists from chasing sales to sustain their fan base?
terrible cheeb said:
getting insulted for buying music is fair enough. why do musicians need money? they clearly already have instruments or you wouldnt be able to hear anything. I think free music is a good thing., people should make music for the fact they like making music not for fame and fortune. if they want money they should go and tour.
you are wrong. bands do not keep much money from ticket prices at all. think about it you pay 20 dollars for a concert ticket. that has to pay for a bus a bus driver, somewhere for the driver to sleep, food for yourself, your own merch cds exc, guitar strings drum heads excc that need to be replaced and half a billion other things.

also this: http://www.altpress.com/features/entry/no_money_mo_problems/
What you are forgetting is that those are all reasonable expenses and the money left IS ALL THEIRS whereas the list of deductions for record sales is much worse and they have to pay for that out of their 10% of sales BEFORE they see a cent, trust me, from a musician who has gigged, you won't be rich but you will be richer if you sell gig tickets instead of albums

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
Duol said:
Tipsy Giant said:
of course you can, give me one good reason why you can't
Very few "creative" people have the capital, experience or skills to become a big name in the music industry.
If artists think they are up to it then all the more power to them. I just hate the whole "omg evil money sucking music industry" crap.
They provide a service. If you don't want it, then don't buy into it.
or create an alternative, like free distribution which leads to free word of mouth advertising which leads to TICKETS YEY!!

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
I've been insulted just for doing school work we were supposed to be doing in the first place. Said people would then take my paper and copy my answers.

Didn't bother me though. Was nice to know I had something over these idiots.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
Sinclose said:
MiracleOfSound said:
I once suggested that Portal was not actually the high point of all human artistic endeavor.

Oops.
You're not alone, my friend.

That and when I comment on how retarded the following behind the companion cube is.

LOZ it's funny COZ IT IS A COOB WIT A PINK HART ON IT

Really? Huh. I thought it was funny because it represented a machine's attempt to manipulate a human using its misinformed interpretation of human bonding and need for reward. But hey, what would I know???

Silly cubies!

Binerexis

Dec 11, 2009
I've been insulted because of the colour of my skin and hair and I still do get insulted because of it every so often. That's pretty retarded.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
Tell 'em to fuck off. Them insulting you for not stealing pretty much just shows how much they're pompous asses.

I've always liked how people justify stealing music because of the way CD sales work. "The musicians barely make any money off their CDs. They get most of their money from concerts!" Are you forgetting that the record company gets money from these CDs? Are you aware that without the record companies, these musicians would be out of jobs? Are you aware that even though you said they get most of their money from concerts, you never went to that one concert a few months ago when they were in town? Well, do you? PUNK!?

OT: I find it funny that people are often insulted for being smart. Wow, thanks for that humanity. Really doing our species a favor.

Mondai Randy

May 15, 2010
Manji187 said:
I got insulted for liking DeNiro more than Pacino (as an actor).
De Niro is a wayyyyyy better actor than Pacino (well to me anyways) , so that insult shocks me