I got accepted into Grad School!

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
grad school admission acceptance (2).jpg

I worked super hard on the application materials, especially the Statement of Purpose and getting people to write me the letters of recommendation. And this was my first choice of the grad school too!

It's right in my state so no need to relocate, and the program offers flexible time for those with full-time jobs. The best part is I have a job at the same University, and they are offering to pay half of the tuition. Which leaves me around $5k per quarter either out of pocket or federal loan.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
View attachment 7779

I worked super hard on the application materials, especially the Statement of Purpose and getting people to write me the letters of recommendation. And this was my first choice of the grad school too!

It's right in my state so no need to relocate, and the program offers flexible time for those with full-time jobs. The best part is I have a job at the same University, and they are offering to pay half of the tuition. Which leaves me around $5k per quarter either out of pocket or federal loan.
Congratulations, and good luck

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Congratulations!

I would recommend the obvious, of course: eat as well/healthy as you can, don't overload yourself with coursework, keep up an actual life outside of studies/work to keep yourself connected and sane. I know, I know, you've probably heard that all a thousand times, but I just can't help myself.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
1674531143407.png

Congrats on making a terrible mistake.

I'm kidding...mostly.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Nice job, you can do it, it won't be easy but you can do it.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Congratulations
Actually quick question. Does a Master’s degree confer a title upon successful completion?
Technically it does, usually some form of Master of Arts or Master of Sciences, but the Master title holds no weight anymore like a doctorate/PhD does.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Congratulations dude, I hope you have a good time doing it. God knows it's an absurd amount of work, but I honestly got more out of my 2 year masters than I did all of highschool and the first half of my bachelor's put together.

Just don't let those bastards scope creep your thesis. Oh it sounds innocent to start. Add a section here, expand a lit review there. Then the next thing you know it's two years later and you've got a 300 page unfocused brick of a thesis that nobody will read past the abstract. And that's how those bastards win!

Define the scope and stick to it, and only expand it once you're sure what was already planned won't make enough of a thesis.