I got IOD'ed

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Dear Escapist,
About two weeks ago while working as a thief catcher (see detective specializing in burglary, robbery, and fraud ect) I was injured on duty, hereafter called IOD. This means due to the nature of the injury that I am given time off until dec 23... Thanks for getting me back to work in time for Christmas doc.

My beef is that upon my return I will be given a reprimand for being injured. Why? well Therein lies a tale.

Basically, While interviewing a person of interest, not a suspect mind you, he decided that he didn't like the way I was talking about his friend, who was the suspect and plead guilty two days ago. So he stood up fast. I stood up and made him well aware of the fact that I am a full foot taller than he (I'm 6'6"). I said "You can leave if you want, but I feel it's in the best interest of (suspect) if you stay and help us talk this out." In response to this he flung the table up. I managed to avoid that and get him to the ground. Before my partner came in. My actual injury was from the chairs. Which my leg got caught in, and twisted my knee.
Why am I being reprimanded?
Because I didn't use my taser. In the fucking sheriff's office. It is stated that he was 'using a weapon' with the table and I should've used my taser or baton. Which... woops I didn't bring in with me into the interview room. (I don't usually even carry a baton or pepper spray anymore as I'm a detective)
While not a written rule we're encouraged by a few supervisors, particularly ones that are strictly administrative, to bring a less-than-lethal weapon in. However, in many schools of thought on interviews it's a bad idea to bring weapons in with you, it makes the interviewee think you're aggressive and threatening (which despite my size is not what I go for).

The interviewee also claimed I tried to choke him. Which on the video I actually did what was best described as, "palming his head before slamming his face to the ground". Yes, the supervisor actually described it that way in front of a misconduct hearing board. So that was thrown out.

Not my best interview I gotta say.

Not my worst though either.

thoughts?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Not the worst story I've heard, but still rotten.

Neonbob

The Noble Nuker
Dec 22, 2008
Well...the part about your response was quite humorous to me. But the part about you getting reprimanded is complete bullshit. Unless the guy you're dealing with has some high level degree in martial arts, it sounds like you can handle whatever they throw at you.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
The chairs in question look like the ones up front there.

Except they're blue and look like they've been around since nixon was president.

ICanBreakTheseCuffs

Jun 4, 2010
cool story bro.

My only thought is...

was it embarrasing as a detective to get your leg caught in a chair

PS:Funny how you're a detective and I just finished Mafia 2

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
ace_of_something said:
I dont know why you would want to bring in things like mace or batons or tasers anyway. It seems more of a liability then a reassurance, since if the guy you're questioning gets a hold of it, you're in deep shit.

But I think thats crap that you're getting the short end of the stick. You only subdued the person for your safety.

Liam Bilton

Mar 26, 2010
Well I clearly now want to know what your worst interview was.
And also people are just like that, it's usually because they feel threatened by others as the other person may be doing a job in which they don't fully understand. So in turn they decide to stick to the letter of the law and also by putting you down it makes them feel safer. I had a similar situation.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
"Reprimand for being injured"

Yep. No matter how it happened, that right there sucks. Hard.

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
Nicely done though, kicked his arse. Extra points for doing it with a twisted Knee

I am surprised with all controversy about Tazers recently that they are annoyed at this... They should be happy.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Yea, Imma go with 'cool story bro' as well. Maybe make use of your taser more liberally? (Or dont)

In any case, this story feels pretty revealing.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Wow. What bullshit. I hope a person whose thinking isn't completely limited to the rules reviews it and concludes you were doing the right thing in the situation. I'd say explain why you don't carry weapons in and that the moment required reactionary thinking, not taking the time to draw a weapon.

I hope this clears up for you.

[sub]I have the upmost respect for the police. Hearing about them having to deal with BS in the station makes me a little ticked. You've passed the training, you know the rules. Administration should just let you do your jobs. If something really bad goes down, they are not going to miss it. Small stuff like this is just bureaucratic nonsense.[/sub]

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Well I applaud you for sensibility, Tazers should be a last resort of police officers (I know you're a detective but let's not split hairs) and having to carry one in an interview seems excessive.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Okay, that's retarded.
My Dad's a police officer, we're in Australia so the rules are significantly larger. People over here have a fit when you say 'taser', but while dad's been on patrol, he's only ever had to use pepper spray once, and that was in a situation worse than getting a table thrown at you in an interview room. Sounds like the person who reprimanded you is a by the books type, and hasn't taken in the whole scenario properly. It is much better to interview someone without weapons and such on you, as it makes them feel more at ease, as you said.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
>.< Wow. That's......ridiculous. I'd say you handled the situation way better than you would have if you'd used a taser or something. Why bother escalating things further with a weapon when you can quite easily subdue him with your own hands?

*sigh*

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Liam Bilton said:
Well I clearly now want to know what your worst interview was.
And also people are just like that, it's usually because they feel threatened by others as the other person may be doing a job in which they don't fully understand. So in turn they decide to stick to the letter of the law and also by putting you down it makes them feel safer. I had a similar situation.
Well, this was the worst 'formal interview' around august we were canvassing the area for witnesses as a lot of people were hanging around outside and I asked one kid, about 19 or so, did you see anything? He freaked the fuck out and started screaming "I know my rights! I know my rights!" and than a rather large crowd formed around me and the two beat officers. A group of about 7 or 8 teens (all dressed in the 'colors' for the region) who were damn determined to have a shouting match with us, and the beat officers were more than willing to shout back. I repeated to the crowd and the kid. "You are absolutely right, you don't HAVE to tell me anything. I was simply asking. Alright?" It took a few tense moments, felt like 20 minutes but was more like a single minute. To get things back to calm.
Sure, nobody got hurt but it fucking RUINED my credibility in that neighborhood because the beat cops were losing the tempers. They later were upset that I didn't let them handcuff the kid or whathave you, they were sure (and probably right) that his reaction was due to holding some drugs or something. Sometimes you got to let small things go to keep the peace in a neighborhood. Besides... they just saw the kid a day later, he was 'acting suspicious' and lo-and-behold he was holding.
Note: While I am their superior I did not give them a written reprimand, I just verbally directed them about better ways to deal with the situation.

runedeadthA

Feb 18, 2009
ace_of_something said:
First, let me say you have a pretty awesome job. It's something that you hear about on T.V etc, but you never think seriously exists, also its a pretty valuable service to the community.

OT: The reprimand for injury thing is annoying and kind of stupid. Seems to be more of a bureaucratic mess-around which seems to be happening increasingly often these days.

I am of the opinion that there should be a less bureaucracy in these sorts of matter, and a lot more practical ....Stuff I guess in the sorts of situations. I don't know how to quite say what I mean (let alone fix the problem) but I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying.

Anyhew, Full support to you sir!

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
ace_of_something said:
Dear Escapist,
About two weeks ago while working as a thief catcher (see detective specializing in burglary, robbery, and fraud ect) I was injured on duty, hereafter called IOD. This means due to the nature of the injury that I am given time off until dec 23... Thanks for getting me back to work in time for Christmas doc.

My beef is that upon my return I will be given a reprimand for being injured. Why? well Therein lies a tale.

Basically, While interviewing a person of interest, not a suspect mind you, he decided that he didn't like the way I was talking about his friend, who was the suspect and plead guilty two days ago. So he stood up fast. I stood up and made him well aware of the fact that I am a full foot taller than he (I'm 6'6"). I said "You can leave if you want, but I feel it's in the best interest of (suspect) if you stay and help us talk this out." In response to this he flung the table up. I managed to avoid that and get him to the ground. Before my partner came in. My actual injury was from the chairs. Which my leg got caught in, and twisted my knee.
Why am I being reprimanded?
Because I didn't use my taser. In the fucking sheriff's office. It is stated that he was 'using a weapon' with the table and I should've used my taser or baton. Which... woops I didn't bring in with me into the interview room. (I don't usually even carry a baton or pepper spray anymore as I'm a detective)
While not a written rule we're encouraged by a few supervisors, particularly ones that are strictly administrative, to bring a less-than-lethal weapon in. However, in many schools of thought on interviews it's a bad idea to bring weapons in with you, it makes the interviewee think you're aggressive and threatening (which despite my size is not what I go for).

The interviewee also claimed I tried to choke him. Which on the video I actually did what was best described as, "palming his head before slamming his face to the ground". Yes, the supervisor actually described it that way in front of a misconduct hearing board. So that was thrown out.

Not my best interview I gotta say.

Not my worst though either.

thoughts?
Thoughts? Well it sounds like absolute bullshit to me, Tazers shouldn't be 'encouraged' they should simply be an option. He didn't 'really' use a weapon and there was no one else viable to get hurt, purely open for you as a judgement call.

That's my view anyway.