I got six games on Steam, which to play first?

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
...hold on, this isn't just a blog post. Now, I told myself I wouldn't play them for a while, but even right now I'm dithering about which one to play first and suchlike. Anyway, the Steam sale suckered me in too, and now, here I am with Deus Ex, Knights of the Old Republic, Just Cause 2, Aquaria, Portal and Portal 2 sitting uninstalled in my library.

If anyone happens to have played these games, can you tell me which one I'd get the most replay value out of, and which is the hardest to get into? And stuff like that? That'd be nice.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Well, I've only played KOTOR and Portal from the list, but here's my suggestions:

If you want a short but sweet action/puzzle game that you can jump right into, go with Portal first.

If you want a lengthy, immersive RPG experience with an engaging plot and characters, go with KOTOR.

Personally KOTOR is my favorite of the two, mostly because of the aforementioned immersion and story. Well, it also helps that it's one of the best Star Wars game ever made (it's certainly leagues better than the prequel trilogy in my opinion). Also, KOTOR had more replay value for me. Portal's a fun experience that's worth a try, but there isn't really any good reason to go back and play through the test chambers again. KOTOR on the other hand has all sorts of different dialogue trees, skills, talents, and two different endings to boot.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Just Cause 2 likely has the best replay value. You can spend days just flying around and messing with stuff. Portal and Portal 2 are real good puzzlers and easy to get into. Aquaria is a bit harder, and I didn't care for it. Haven't played KotOR yet, nor Deus Ex, but Deus Ex is very dated in graphics. It also seems to be the 'hardest to get into' of the choices from what I've played.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Portal and Portal 2, because you can probably finish them both off in 2-3 days (depending on how much time you spend gaming, of course). After that, definitely KotOR, which, if you've never played it before, should take you at least a week.

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Deus Ex and Knights of the Old Republic are both great immersive games, but you probably shouldn't start with them if you don't have a lot of time to take and play through them properly. Both have great replay value, especially Deus Ex, since there are multiple different ways to play it (all in guns blazing, stealth, hacking, etc). Took me about 30 hours to complete my first playthrough.

Both Portal games are also excellent and shouldn't require too much time to complete (roughly 3-5 and 8-10 hours respectively), so they're a great choice if you don't have too much time on your hands at the moment. I haven't played either of the other two.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
KOTOR, Deus Ex, Just Cause 2

You will probably play JC2 the most though. I clocked more than 150 hours on it. Best free roaming game ever.

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
Portal. Short and sweet. KOTOR is more of a 20+ H RPG, so if you want something lengthy, go for that. Haven't played Deus Ex, Aquaria, and only have played the demo of Just Cause 2.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
I'd go with Deus Ex, the Portal's are short and very very sweet but if you binge on them first then you've got a long set of epic RPGs to get through. So I'd play Portal after Deus Ex and Portal 2 after Kotor. You can play Just Cuase 2 whenever you feel like some carnage and probably leave Aquaria till the end.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
leet_x1337 said:
...hold on, this isn't just a blog post. Now, I told myself I wouldn't play them for a while, but even right now I'm dithering about which one to play first and suchlike. Anyway, the Steam sale suckered me in too, and now, here I am with Deus Ex, Knights of the Old Republic, Just Cause 2, Aquaria, Portal and Portal 2 sitting uninstalled in my library.

If anyone happens to have played these games, can you tell me which one I'd get the most replay value out of, and which is the hardest to get into? And stuff like that? That'd be nice.
Going by length I would say the order should be:
Portal
Portal 2
Deus Ex
KotOR
Just Cause 2

I have never heard of Aquaria so I don't know where to put it in that list.

the only games on that list I have not played are Portal 2 Deus Ex and Aquaria. I got 2 packs from the Steam sale myself so Portal 2 and Deus Ex are on the list of my will play soon.

KotOR is the one with the most replay value because you can pretty much screw over your entire crew or screw over only part of your crew. Hell you can even play good through the entire game then go evil at the very end I did that once was funny.

Just Cause is the largest simply because of the vast size of the island and amount of side missions you have to do.

*EDIT*
Just looked up Aquaria on Steam. I still don't know where to put it on my list I just don't kn. . . GGGGGGGGGGGWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Deus Ex is a very deep game. There's probably near infinite replay value, judging by the amount of ways you could complete every objective.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I'd try to knock off Portal 1 and portal 2 as fast as you could.

QuadFish

God Damn Sorcerer
Dec 25, 2010
I'd go with shortest games first (i.e. Portal) because if you start with the lengthy RPGs you'll return to reality a few months later and wonder where all your time went, when you could have a more memorable time with the quick and compact ones. You'll get more out of those anyway. Most RPGs are just designed to be time-sinks.