I hate being white....

Dec 27, 2010
Not trying to be a wanker, but I hate it when people all upset about past wrongs, it's just silly. Stop thinking about you're lineage, have you ever discriminated against anyone because of their race? Just worry about what's happening now, stop thinking of crimes committed by others in the past.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGGXgjfOWTc&feature=related
Thanks, Batman!

Chefodeath

Dec 31, 2009
You know, if I was shallow enough to take pride or shame in what others of my race have done, I think I would be rather proud of old whitey. Just looking back at the scientific, philosophical, and artistic achievements in the history of western culture, good stuff.

And you know what? Of all the plethora of races whites enslaved, none of them out and out fought and earned their freedom. Sure there were civil rights marches and what not, but it was ultimately the power holding whites who eventually saw the immorality of what they were doing and turned against it. You might say "But they were the ones to oppress minorities in the first place." Well, I think its human nature to rape, pillage, oppress, and hate on outsiders others. Europeans just found a way to do it super efficently.

So ya, just shut up.

gdv358

Nov 11, 2009
You know the worst part about white-guilt? It actually ends up being almost racist in its own right just from the fact that you're basically setting up the scenario that White people are the only people who've ever had the power and will to do the things they've done. Any race that has ever had power ends up doing exactly what the white people did in the history of North America.

Did white people do some horrible things like slavery and the near genocide of the native population? Hell yes! Are they the ONLY ones who ever did that throughout history? No way.

Before the Trans-Atlantic Slave Trade a great deal of those people were being enslaved by other Africans!

Before the European colonists went on a rampage across native populations, y'know who was killing the natives? Other natives. In fact, that's part of why they ended up losing most of their land. Their ability to organize was greatly reduced by the fact many of their tribes could not stand each other. The times when they did organize in an effective fashion were the times they -won-. Not to mention the fact that they were actively part of several earlier wars where they took the sides of Europeans and were active in doing the same dickish things the white guys were doing.

Are the things our ancestors did good? Hell no. But anyone of any race can look into their history and, if they look back far enough, find out that their race basically did the same stuff that white people have done. The difference right now is that some of the most well off people are white at the moment and that makes them feel somehow more unique in their ability to screw over other people.

But we haven't done any of that in at least a couple generations now. In a few centuries, it may flip again. Maybe the next group to be guilty over their transgressions will be the Chinese or the Indians (from India).

For right now, remember this: it's not about white, black, brown or yellow- it's about being human. All subgroups of the human race (given motivation and ability) are dicks. So either love yourself for who you are or join in with the more logical choice: total misanthropy.

andeve3

Jul 14, 2010
You are probably not alone in feeling this way, however i would say it is completely irrational to feel shame and guilt because of the actions of white Europeans of centuries passed. Actions you had no say in, and could not prevent or participate in.

Cultural and Racial guilt are absurd to the same degree as racism, or being proud of your ethnicity or nationality. You never had the chance to even influence your ethnicity or it's history, thus it is completely pointless to take pride in it of feel shame because of it.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
Valis88 said:
((Forward: I'm not flame bating, I'm not trolling...This a a real opinion that I carry in my mind. I've seen some really good debates about race and culture here. I thought I'd bring my own feelings to the table.))

I do. I hate it. I hate that North American white culture is so shallow and stupid. I hate that my very existence represents all the horrible things that were done to the superior, and noble native peoples of this land (and other amazing creeds and cultures as well). I hate that most likely my ancestors were the cause of so much pain, and suffering.

I hate my hazel eyes, my pale skin, and my blonde hair. I look at myself and i see a monster.

I've cried over this...and I still do sometimes.Hell part of my ongoing struggle with depression is my deep deep cultural, and racial guilt.

Yes yes I know 'Why is she saying all of this?' but what I want to know is...Am I alone in feeling this way? is anyone else as hurt and sad as I am about being white?

Also, well, what can I do to bring myself out of this? Can I bring myself out of this?

Should I?

You're turn...
What a coincidence, I love being non-white!

But seriously, you didn't do anything wrong OP. I have been bullied and have suffered hate-crimes from white people for 90% of my life (I could write a book about all the crap I've been through), especially during the time of 9/11;I think that was the only time I felt truly depressed. But hey, despite everything, I have white friends that I consider brothers and I feel that I don't have to constantly watch my back in a crowd of white people. Actions define people, race doesn't. There are only two kinds of people in this world: Good people, and bad people; nothing else matters (not gender, race, nationality, religion, etc).

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I'm my own human being. Does it matter what color my skin is? No. Does it matter who my parents are? No. Does it matter what country I'm from? No. Why? Because those things describe me, but they don't define me.

I don't believe that people should be held responsible for the sins of their ancestors. So, no, I feel no guilt whatsoever for what my ancestors did to other people, because I wasn't there. I didn't do anything to anyone.

Honestly, OP, I kinda get the vibe that you're a victim of "reverse racism." Or whatever people are calling it these days. Feeling guilty about racism is just as bad, in my opinion, as being racist, since in a way, it kinda is racism. The only way racism is going to end is if people stop trying to categorize each other and just start treating each other as the fellow human beings that we are. Putting a focus on racism, regardless of whether or not you're the aggressor or feeling guilty, does nothing but prolong the negative effects of racism on society.

elbrandino

Dec 8, 2010
Don't worry about your race. You can't change it. Warning: the following will probably make me sound like a jerk. You need to get over it. Look to your European ancestry; it's deep, rich, and fascinating. I love researching mine. As for your racial guilt, you really need to let that go. I laugh it off, and laugh at people who try to force it on me. You weren't alive when your race was committing crimes that you feel guilty for. You can't change history, and you took no part in it. Racial guilt is nothing but bullshit.

In short: grow up, get over it, your race doesn't make you a bad person.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Valis88 said:
((Forward: I'm not flame bating, I'm not trolling...This a a real opinion that I carry in my mind. I've seen some really good debates about race and culture here. I thought I'd bring my own feelings to the table.))

I do. I hate it. I hate that North American white culture is so shallow and stupid. I hate that my very existence represents all the horrible things that were done to the superior, and noble native peoples of this land (and other amazing creeds and cultures as well). I hate that most likely my ancestors were the cause of so much pain, and suffering.

I hate my hazel eyes, my pale skin, and my blonde hair. I look at myself and i see a monster.

I've cried over this...and I still do sometimes.Hell part of my ongoing struggle with depression is my deep deep cultural, and racial guilt.

Yes yes I know 'Why is she saying all of this?' but what I want to know is...Am I alone in feeling this way? is anyone else as hurt and sad as I am about being white?

Also, well, what can I do to bring myself out of this? Can I bring myself out of this?

Should I?

You're turn...
You "look in the mirror and see a monster"?

I'm not a psychologist, but hating your own genes that much can't be healthy. You need help. No one should be that disgusted by themselves just because of how they were born.

I'm not going to treat this like a serious discussion, because it's not. This isn't a "good debate about race and culture", this is a thread born of what may be clinical depression.

A shrink. Get one.

Edit:

Oh, look, you already stated that you struggle with depression. Must have missed that.

Soooo... why is this thread here? Seems like you already know why you have such a fucked up view of yourself and your heritage; you're depressed.

Best of luck to you in getting treatment for it. From what I hear, clinical depression is nothing to scoff at.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
Urgh, have you ever even bothered to look at the track record of the other races on the planet?

We're all equally guilty. There is no race, that's a shallow 2d view created by society. There is only human, and the sooner people stop bringing skin color into things the better.

And.. superior? crimes against others? You do realize that all 'races' have done this kind of thing in the past? Have you based this entire viewpoint on ignorance of actual history? Do you know of the native american slaying and genocide of other tribes? Do you know the majority of black slaves were captured and sold to white men by other black tribes? Or did you think white people got off ships and bundled black folk on there to sell cackling like B&W movie villains? What of asians, did you think they lived in peace and harmony with one another? Do you know of the rape of nanking? Do you know of the oppression of Chinese people by their own people that occurs to this day? Do you know of the bangladesh atrocities? That's just the tip of the iceberg. Look back over the middle eastern histories.

All 'races' are equally guilty. And I'm tired of this silly ignorant viewpoint of 'all whites are bad' that pervades the ignorant, you would think a little research would be done on the matter before forming and yelling out this ignorant opinion.

The fact is, humans are humans no matter the color of their skin.

Skjalg Kreutzer

Aug 11, 2010
Actually, biologically speaking, you can't talk about "race" in a human context. There simply isn't enough genetic diversity to distinguish between human "races" biologically. Were all Homo Sapiens.

Matthew Valkanov

Jun 8, 2011
Valis88 said:

Should I?

You're turn...

Please stop with the self hate. Feeling guilt for having white skin is silly and counter-productive. Trust me, I'm a white Zimbabwean. I can't give a step-by-step route to ending it, apart from simply realising how nonsensical it is.

And don't say that ANY culture is superior or "noble". No race, if taken as a whole rather than as the individuals they really are, is innocent or noble. American Indians were busy in tribal warfare(there are even some incidents where entire tribes were wiped out), and don't forget scalping and sacrificial ceremonies. In southern Africa we still have people that believe in the vileness that is muti(traditional medicine that includes the ingestion of human organs or body parts so as to absorb strength, young children's being preferable) and in Zambia and other countries too many black men in the countryside believe that the best way to cure aids is to rape an under age virgin. Middle-eastern families have honour killings and a pretty worrying rise and presence of what I like to call "kill anyone who doesn't agree with us"-ism, Asians have extreme xenophobia, Khmer Rouge, the Kim Jongs, Thai sex trade,... and in Australia there was a huge problem with the Aborigines, alcohol and child abuse. Then you have us whites(an easy mass generalisation), going in for colonialism, imperialism, cultural genocide, real genocide, and other little charmers. We're all equal in ugliness and beauty, no matter what bloody colour we are.

P.S.: What's so shallow about North American culture? you guys gave the world Hollywood(while it was good), Mercury Theatre, Rap, non British rock'n'roll, Lovecraft, Poe, Jazz, and so many other things that I can't even begin to scratch the surface. You guys are great ^^

Margrave Rinstock

Jul 17, 2009
Valis88 said:

Should I?

You're turn...
You are one of the few people I have ever seen who is racist towards herself. From a psychological perspective, I find this fascinating, but nonetheless I must point out that this self-hatred is unwarranted. I am another white folk, descended of the Great British Empire. My great-great Grandfather served the Crown in the Chinese Boxer rebellions, and saw first hand the sins of his people. Many other monstrosities were committed by my people, but quite frankly, despite all this, I feel damn proud to be an Englishman. Do you know why? Because I know we are no more loathsome than the other Peoples of this Earth!

Yah sure we Brits oppressed the people of India for centuries, but it's not as if it was some egalitarian utopia beforehand. The same level of oppression was experienced under the corrupt authority of the Maharajas, and I would also point out that part of the "cultural oppression" the British introduced was the abolition of Indian Tradition of the Sati. Essentially, upon the death of her husband, a Hindu Widow would be burned alive with his corpse on a funeral pyre. Many other horrible practices where put a stop to by the British Administration, and I find it unfair that people focus exclusively upon European crimes, while completely overlooking wrongs committed by other ethnicities.

A better example would be the Jews. I have many good friends who are ethnically Jews (Thoroughly Atheist mind you) who are really quite appalled at how one can not speak out against Jewish actions without being considered racist. When it is even suggested that the Jews have acted wrongly in their persecutions of the Palestinians, you are often considered an anti-semite. For many people I know, the holocaust has given the entire Jewish Nation a free license to treat other people like feces. This is simply unjust, and one should chastise all iniquities REGARDLESS of wether the culprit has had a similar experience in the past.

As for the "noble native peoples of this land", I must say that was pretty inexcusable. Do not think, however, they where not above the occasional genocide here and there. The any given "First Nation" is often not so much the very first people to arrive upon a completely uninhabited land, but rather the ones who held it upon european contact. The Aztecs, Maya, and the like where certainly awesome civilizations in their own right...but they sure as hell killed people, just the same as the Euros.

Yes, we white men took slaves from Africa to the Americas. Guess how we got them? We bought them from OTHER AFRICANS. Why do people seem to think that Europeans where the only ones who had slaves? NEXT TO EVERYONE HAD SLAVES, and you, as a white person, have no more need to feel ashamed over historical slavery then every other ethnicity on Earth.

In short, Every race has done evil, every culture has blood on their hands. As a white man, I feel my ethnicity has done a reasonable job of fixing the problems it has caused. There is an Atticus Finch for every Bob Ewell, an Abraham Lincoln for every General Lee. If this is insufficient for you, and you feel guilt regardless of the crimes of other races then that is fine. Let that drive you to even greater heights of tolerance, and work to rout out prejudiced behavior wherever you may find it. But please, don't urinate upon your entire culture, history, and people just because a few of 'em were dicks! And for the love of St. Peter, don't feel you are destined, by the color of your skin, to be just as shallow as your kinsmen! Trust me when I say we, of all the different races, can be better then our past, and more to the point, be better then our present.

PS-I apologize if you don't get the second last reference-It's from Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird". If you haven't read it, I sugest doing so ASAP. A good book will do wonders to keep your mind of things.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Valis88 said:

Should I?

You're turn...
No, you really shouldn't hate yourself because you're white. Your culture is just as amazing: schools of philosophy, lost martial arts, the Enlightenment, Willy Shakes, Lord of the Rings, other things I can't remember right now. Besides, no culture has a spotless history.

Meanwhile, I have Jazz, the Blues, and possibly Timbuktu. . .

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Valis88 said:

Don't be so dramatic. Every "superior native group" in the Americas was as vicious, twisted and destructive as white people. All that Native Americans living with the land stuff is historically bullshit. The fossil records show dozens of animals being hunted to extinction with the arrival of humans.

Whitey conquered all because whitey had the best tools. Read about the Mayans or Aztecs sometime and tell me if being white is suddenly any different from any other humans on this whole planet. Guns, Germs and Steel a book by an anthropologist named Jared Diamond basically blocks out how and why the world is the Geopolitical shape it is, starting at the base tribal level and following the progress of the world to today.

Grand_Arcana

Aug 5, 2009
Margrave Rinstock said:
Yes, we white men took slaves from Africa to the Americas. Guess how we got them? We bought them from OTHER AFRICANS. Why do people seem to think that Europeans where the only ones who had slaves? NEXT TO EVERYONE HAD SLAVES, and you, as a white person, have no more need to feel ashamed over historical slavery then every other ethnicity on Earth.

In short, Every race has done evil, every culture has blood on their hands. As a white man, I feel my ethnicity has done a reasonable job of fixing the problems it has caused. There is an Atticus Finch for every Bob Ewell, an Abraham Lincoln for every General Lee. If this is insufficient for you, and you feel guilt regardless of the crimes of other races then that is fine. Let that drive you to even greater heights of tolerance, and work to rout out prejudiced behavior wherever you may find it. But please, don't urinate upon your entire culture, history, and people just because a few of 'em were dicks! And for the love of St. Peter, don't feel you are destined, by the color of your skin, to be just as shallow as your kinsmen! Trust me when I say we, of all the different races, can be better then our past, and more to the point, be better then our present.

PS-I apologize if you don't get the second last reference-It's from Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird". If you haven't read it, I sugest doing so ASAP. A good book will do wonders to keep your mind of things.
Well, slavery in West Africa didn't have the same concept of a caste system as it did in Egypt and the rest of the world. Being a slave in West Africa was a temporary circumstance; no one was enslaved for life, and slaves were not regarded as animals like they were in the eyes of American pseudo-intellectuals

Skjalg Kreutzer

Aug 11, 2010
Grand_Arcana said:
Margrave Rinstock said:

Well, slavery in West Africa didn't have the same concept of a caste system as it did in Egypt and the rest of the world. Being a slave in West Africa was a temporary circumstance; no one was enslaved for life, and slaves were not regarded as animals like they were in the eyes of American pseudo-intellectuals
The first europeans to deal with the africans of the ivory coast were the Dutch. They approached the natives as equals, and respected their leaders as kings. The general attitude towards the africans changed as the centuries wore on. At worst, yes, the african slaves were treated like cattle; at best, the europeans saw them as less developed brethren.
During colonial times, The French treated the african natives like lesser brothers. Any person born on French soil, they reasoned, was a frenchman, entitled to the same rights as any other frenchman.

My point is that saying "every culture is equally evil" isn't very accurate. There is good and bad in every culture, every period in history. To understand history, you can't think of some things as inherently "better" than others.

Apr 5, 2008
Valis88 said:

It's hard enough to feel guilty about our own flaws and shortcomings that taking on the burden of our ancestors as well is more than anyone should have to bare. For all the failings of individuals or groups of your (or any) race, there are as many or more tremendous achievements, incredible heritage and great examples of humanity.

I don't know how old you are miss, and while I can sympathise with some of the more shallow, cultural aspects of modern day society, the majority of people will not judge you for that. The greatest bulk of people you'll ever likely know and more so those you'll call friends will not judge you based on your skin nor the misdeeds of ancestors long since dead. You'll mix and work with diverse people (assuming you're not specifically from really homogenous parts of the country) and what matters is who you are, how good you are at whatever you do and how you interact with other people.

I'll give you a personal thought from the other side of the coin. While not religious particularly, I am a jew and as I got to my 20s and lost loved ones I began to get a greater appreciation of my own heritage, culture, tradition and so on (again, not necessarily the "religious" parts). But I've seen, heard and read some of the most unbelievable things that make me look in the mirror and wonder what twist of fate it was that had me born into a race so hated by so many. I've never met, harmed or in any way affected people who hate me with a scary amount of passion. I almost want to meet these people to ask why. Or more truthfully, "WTF?". ;-) There is a huge amount of hate out there, but every now and then a story comes along that gives some hope.

You can, should and will get over your dilemma. I don't mean this to be patronising, though it can't but sound it so please forgive me...but it's normal to question and it does you great credit to feel for the injustices of the past. The best thing you can do is learn from that and be better for having learned those things and never allowing them to happen again. Take pride in the culture and heritage of your ancestors, learn from the mistakes of the villains and you'll be a greater person than you were before you thought to wonder about this.

UbarElite

Feb 16, 2008
boyvirgo666 said:
UbarElite said:
Hello Valis. Fellow white person here.

Our race sucks, or, at least, has a very poor track record. However, trying to say that we are bad because of what others in our race do or did is just as foolish as the racism that led to such atrocities.

Have you ever forced anyone out of their homes? Do you own slaves? I imagine not. If you did, then yes, you probably deserve to feel guilty. If not, then don't feel guilty about what others have done.
yeah because africans dont slave trade, the japanese never raided and murdered the chinese, moari never cannibalized...everyone. seriously, no race smells of roses. white people are no worse than anyone else
Never said other races aren't bad, they just weren't the focus of the original topic.

Xcelsior

Jun 3, 2009
The fuck? seriously? I'm sorry but hating yourself because you're white and because of what your ancestors did is just stupid. You had nothing to do with the actions that they carried out so why feel guilty?

Totenkopf

Mar 2, 2010
Hey, you're not responsible for the deeds of anyone who shared your skin colour.
I mean, what kind of logic would that be? I'll tell you: bad logic
History is meant to educate us, to teach us the lessons of the past, and inspire us, not to toss us into a pit of despair over the sins of the past.

You know, in my homeland, Germany, there a vast legion of traitors, an unofficial cult of guilt so to speak, intending and devoted to drown every sense of heritage, nationality and patriotism.

"Hey, you German are a patriot? You really dare to value your own heritage and try to preserve and protect it? You really dare to respect your ancestors? You really dare to support the soldiers of your land? That means you are a nazi and support the holocaust"
^ That is their logic, I'm neither joking nor exaggerating.

Needless to say, I despise them. They loathe their own fatherland, discourage unity, denounce and demonize their own, our ancestors, even deny historical "schoolbook"-facts. And our democracy and it's mentality was the medium that evidently carried this cancer to this land.

Personally, I identify with my heritage, and to be honest, I generally identify more with the past (this country has existed before the world wars, too, you know) than with this phoney present that was shaped by the lies and hypocrisy of those traitors.