I hate Earbuds!! Headset options?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I can't stand having anything inside my ears, so I cannot stand to wear earbuds, but that is all I can seem to find anymore. I ALSO do not like heavy headsets/headphones so I wear a very lightweight headset(yes, I sacrifice sound quality for comfort). I have been having terrible difficulty finding lightweight headsets locally when mine dies and due to mine being cheap and lightweight, and I toss it all over the place, I have to replace it often. No stores around me seem to even have them anymore. I used to be able to run in anywhere and grab one when I wanted one, but now they either have giant bulky headsets that hurt or earbuds. To make it worse, I have a small head and most headsets I try on do not fit, they just fall off. Adult hats/ sunglasses do not fit me and the dentist has to use the children's dental equipment instead of adults to work on me, so they have to be very adjustable to fit what is considered a "child sized head" lol.

I have been using these cheap type since I can buy them in bulk since stores are not carrying anything like this, but they fall off and are still a bit loose/heavy/ annoying and constantly still fall off:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-981-000612-Stereo-Headset-H111/dp/B00YJJB7YG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1533149689&sr=8-12&keywords=logitech+headset

Does anyone know of other options I might have? Anything that stores actually carry anymore? Do they even make headsets that will adjust small enough? Thanks for any ideas you may have on this!

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Oooooh, headphone chat.

There are a few headphones that are lightweight and won't break your bank, here are a few that I can find on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX110NC-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B00NG57H4S/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1533153443&sr=8-14&keywords=headphones
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1533153548&sr=8-44&keywords=headphones
https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-Vogek-Foldable-Control-Microphone-Black/dp/B077JMHNHB/ref=sr_1_10?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1533153576&sr=1-10&keywords=headphones

Finding them in stores will be tricky, so your best bet is just going online. Best Buy may have them, but I'm not sure. I have a lot of headphones that I use for various things and the most expensive one I have it $600, but I don't think you're willing to spend that much.

I hope that helps.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I feel your problem. Can't stand in-ear buds either.

A long time ago, I used to have a corded headset that you sort of screwed on to the ears. Like Bluetooth hands-free.
They were awesome, but I've never been able to find something similar ever again.

I now use large headphones that either hurt my ears or start to crumble in the leather/foam part.

Hope you find what you need.

DarthCoercis

May 28, 2016
I've had a creative bluetooth headset for several years and i love it. Not sure exactly what it's called, but it has some silly "gamer" style name like "stealth rage" or some nonsense.

Ender910_v1legacy

Oct 22, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Oooooh, headphone chat.

There are a few headphones that are lightweight and won't break your bank, here are a few that I can find on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDRZX110NC-Noise-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B00NG57H4S/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1533153443&sr=8-14&keywords=headphones
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR7506-Professional-Diaphragm-Headphone/dp/B000AJIF4E/ref=sr_1_44?ie=UTF8&qid=1533153548&sr=8-44&keywords=headphones
Hah. Those are the same exact line of headphones I've been using for years. Solid Sony-quality audio, affordable, comfortable, and best of all they don't feel like my head's getting squeezed head in a vice. (My head still hurts just thinking about some cheap Sennheiser headphones I tried a few years ago... <.<)

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Ender910 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Oooooh, headphone chat.

Hah. Those are the same exact line of headphones I've been using for years. Solid Sony-quality audio, affordable, comfortable, and best of all they don't feel like my head's getting squeezed head in a vice. (My head still hurts just thinking about some cheap Sennheiser headphones I tried a few years ago... <.<)
Yeah, the Sony MDR 7506 headphones are fantastic, and they feel comfy when you're wearing them. My only complaint about them are that the leather that's wrapped around the cans flake off, so every time I take mine off I have to take bits of black stuff out of my hair.

I have a pair of Beyerdynamics that I use professionally, and they sound great. Not super comfy, but enough to where I don't have a headache after wearing them for long periods of time. Sennheiser makes poopy headphones and I am disappointed in them. But I suppose they want you to buy far more expensive headphones to get that sort of quality, but at that point there are better options.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I quite like my v-moda crossfade headphones. They're extremely durable and have fantastic sound, but they're probably quite a bit heavier than anything the OP is looking for.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions! I am looking for something with a mic as well, that I can carry with me and use voice wherever I am at. It has been very difficult to find anything like that at all that does not go inside my ears.

Samos205

Dec 14, 2011
Country
New Zealand
I cant reccomend these enough
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8323
Super cheap, detachable cable with optional mic, super comfy too.
I've been using them ever since my old Sony MDRZX110's broke and they've been so much better. The Sony MDRZX110's are a good choice but i've managed to go through 2 pairs of them so i can't say they're the best ones around but they're certainly not terrible though

Apr 5, 2008
Do you have a budget in mind? It will largely dictate the best recommendations. I've always split both headphones and earphones respectively into each of two types. Ear phones have the ones that sit inside the shell of the ear and the ones that get pushed into the ear canal proper. Headphones are either over-ear or on-ear. Personally I hate earphones that push into the ear canal and headphones that sit on-ear.

Earphones that just fit inside the shell of the ear I don't mind, but I appreciate that they could cause others discomfort. Personally, I've always found over-ear headphones my favourite. They're so much more comfortable than the ones that sit on the ear, the latter of which give me headaches after a time and make the ears sore. They also isolate me a bit more from the outside sounds so it makes listening to music or games more enjoyable/immersive.

With all that said, as much for discussion value as anything, I couldn't recommend something without knowing an approximate budget. Are they mostly for music, gaming, both? Out and about/commuting, for travel or at home? Do you need a microphone?

Budget aside, I would strongly recommend looking at offerings from Sennheiser for multi-use. Creative Labs, Steel Series and Turtle Beach make nice stuff across a wide price range which are great for gaming or music (mics are usually detachable f.ex) and can even include virtual surround sound (not useful for music, but great for films and FPS games).

Pick the things that matter most to you (eg. comfort, sizing, audio clarity, features, budget, etc) and have a look at these brands to see which models best suit. More information on your budget/usage maybe we can be more specific. All the best.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
I rock a pair of Sony MDR1ABTs and they've been decent.

The good:
- great sound
- built-in microphone so you can use them anywhere and not look ridiculous
- Bluetooth battery lasts fucking ages, I use them just when traveling or running errands and I have to charge them maybe once every couple of weeks. Plus not having to screw around with cords is so damn nice.
- the song change/volume controls are swipe instead if physical buttons which takes getting used to but is pretty intuitive and very cool once you figure it out
- they come with a fun travel pouch and come in black & red or silver & brown
- had 'em about 4 years and they've outlasted ever 80 - 100 dollar pair of cans I ever owned. They're sturdy as hell.

The bad:

- expensive as fuck, at least 360 or so on average (I paid almost 450 because I'm an idiot)
- they're heavy and your ears will sweat up a storm in the summer (but otherwise comfortable)

The ugly:
- some of the silver has begun to chip away on the ear parts and the connecting band and I had to buy replacement ear pads because the old ones were coming unraveled (fortunately they are like 6 bucks on eBay). Mind you, I take them everywhere and always just keep them around my neck when not in use instead of putting them in their bag. A person who is more careful with their stuff could make 'em last a lot longer I reckon.

EDIT: A good brand I used to use is Cresyn. I had this [https://www.ebay.com/p/Cresyn-C750H-Headphones-Black/178414323] pair for a long while and the sound was really incredible for the price imho. Alas, my big head meant that the plastic band eventually stretched out and cracked a bit so I stopped using them but it sounds like you don't have that issue.

They were cool because they had a detachable cord and you could plug it in either side. And if your friend had a pair of their own headphones or whatever, they could plug them in the other one and you could share music which was nifty.

Anyway, I just find it better to invest in a decent pair of headphones rather than using shitty ones and having to replace them constantly.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Lil devils x said:
I can't stand having anything inside my ears, so I cannot stand to wear earbuds, but that is all I can seem to find anymore. I ALSO do not like heavy headsets/headphones so I wear a very lightweight headset(yes, I sacrifice sound quality for comfort). I have been having terrible difficulty finding lightweight headsets locally when mine dies and due to mine being cheap and lightweight, and I toss it all over the place, I have to replace it often. No stores around me seem to even have them anymore. I used to be able to run in anywhere and grab one when I wanted one, but now they either have giant bulky headsets that hurt or earbuds. To make it worse, I have a small head and most headsets I try on do not fit, they just fall off. Adult hats/ sunglasses do not fit me and the dentist has to use the children's dental equipment instead of adults to work on me, so they have to be very adjustable to fit what is considered a "child sized head" lol.

I have been using these cheap type since I can buy them in bulk since stores are not carrying anything like this, but they fall off and are still a bit loose/heavy/ annoying and constantly still fall off:

https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-981-000612-Stereo-Headset-H111/dp/B00YJJB7YG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1533149689&sr=8-12&keywords=logitech+headset

Does anyone know of other options I might have? Anything that stores actually carry anymore? Do they even make headsets that will adjust small enough? Thanks for any ideas you may have on this!
Logitech make good wireless headsets that are pretty comfortable. I've had both the G900 and G930 and they're pretty solid, the G930 also comes with a 3.5mm jack port so you can use it like a regular headphone set with your phone or whatever too.

Then again I like big over ear headsets because the ones that rest on your ears always end up making my ears hurt a bit after a while of wearing them.