I hate FPS's.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
They sort of bore me. I just don't like them. Does anybody else not like fps's?

EDIT: I feel like I should explain more. First, I just think other genres are more fun. Second, I think most are ugly, monotone, blood splattered blehs. Third, most of them are rated mature, but they are anything other than that. Third, they just bore me. I will neve be able to be engaged by killing clone grunts with a single bullet to the head.

EDIT 2: My question is, why do you like fps's and can you reccomend a few games that might change my opinion.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Nah, I like them. Give me a quick "FUCK YEAH, EXPLOSIONS!!!" rush without having to go out and make my own explosives like the old days.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Nup, we all love em!.

Edit: Also, get out of my lawn hippie!! Hehe, jk.

cryogeist

Apr 16, 2010
im the oppsite of you then
i for one love blowing someone up with an RPG and waching the rag doll physic work their magic
(and yes i love FPS...its my favorite type of game next to RTS)

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
Pacisfist? What?

Also, I don't see more discussion value here than "yes" or "no".
And you're not taking any lives; you're taking recently spawned NPCs' lives. They don't count.
And I like good FPS-games.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I'm a pretty big fan of the fps genre myself

and there are a plethora of fps games that do not involve shooting other humans, and it's not like they're real anyway, just bits of data in a virtual environment.

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Oddly enough, I have no problem playing FPS games, though I don't play them often. I too am enough of a pacifist though that watching movies with lots of intimate violence (Fight Club, Kickass) set my teeth on edge. Games though, I really don't have a problem playing. Really odd, considering my current game kick is FO:NV where the violence gets VERY intimate in VATS

weker

May 27, 2009
FPS are great fun and can have plenty of variety.
Sadly the genre is more then over filled.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
cool story bro.

I like FPS's. One of my favorite genres, other than the style of RPG that Oblivion/Morrowind and Fallout 3 are.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
zehydra said:
cool story bro.

I like FPS's. One of my favorite genres, other than the style of RPG that Oblivion/Morrowind and Fallout 3 are.
It is a cool story, huh?

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
retyopy said:
EDIT: I feel like I should explain more. First, I just think other genres are more fun. Second, I think most are ugly, monotone, blood splattered blehs. Third, most of them are rated mature, but they are anything other than that. Third, they just bore me. I will neve be able to be engaged by killing clone grunts with a single bullet to the head.
Wow, that was generic. Most of that can be said from any genre, besides your last sentence replace FPS with Fighting or Hack and Slash or RTS... with anything but carebear genres and it will work.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
there ok. I get tired of them however I find I tend to enjoy adventure platforming games or puzzle games

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
I don't care what a game is as long as it's fun or interesting enough to keep me engaged. When an FPS is done right, I love it. The same thing goes for most genres of games, RPG, RTS,TBS, etc.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
I'm not big on FPSes, I prefer RPG and sandbox style games, but I like a few of them. Halo and GoW2 for example. Most of them are just too boring, short and repetitive for me though

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
retyopy said:
Plus, I'm a pacisfist, so the idea of taking another humans life is awful.
You're not shooting real people.

It's just pixels. They don't have feelings. You could shoot as many as you want and you won't get e-mails from their families calling you a monster.

As for your other reasons I completely agree.

I used to love FPS games starting from Doom. Played Unreal Tournement for 5 years and drifted away to play other genres.

I'd been waiting for Duke Nukem Forever for 12 bloody years. I giggled like a numpty when I got it, my missus thought i'd gone nuts.

It was utter shite. For a game 12 years in the making it was still stuck in the 90's.

Mindscrew

Aug 8, 2011
If I wanted to be an ass, I could suggest that you have an inability to separate the real world from the virtual world -- that you have a psychological issue -- but that's disingenuous. It also doesn't appreciate the subtlety and power of works that do tug on our emotions -- where we have emotions for fictional characters and events.

Then again, maybe you're deserving of such an accusation since you've painted a huge genre with a very broad stroke. Your not liking FPSes is a personal matter, and there's no problem with not having a taste for certain genres -- I myself don't really care for RPGs -- but all you've given us is your opinion. You've made no claims to why they are inferior, just offered your opinion. Why does that matter, exactly?

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Mindscrew said:
If I wanted to be an ass, I could suggest that you have an inability to separate the real world from the virtual world -- that you have a psychological issue -- but that's disingenuous. It also doesn't appreciate the subtlety and power of works that do tug on our emotions -- where we have emotions for fictional characters and events.

Then again, maybe you're deserving of such an accusation since you've painted a huge genre with a very broad stroke. Your not liking FPSes is a personal matter, and there's no problem with not having a taste for certain genres -- I myself don't really care for RPGs -- but all you've given us is your opinion. You've made no claims to why they are inferior, just offered your opinion. Why does that matter, exactly?
It doesn't, not in the slightest.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
you don't like FPSs because you don't like the idea of taking a human life? wouldn't that mean you don't like MOST games?

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Yes, your opinion is noteworthy, and wanting to spare the lives of pixels is a noble cause indeed. (Really, you're against video game violence?)

They're actually my favorite genre of games. Like Yahtzee said, "You point at things you don't like and then they go away." Makes you feel good when your problems just vanish behind a storm of lead and lasers.

fogelmir

Oct 25, 2010
I like them if they have a creative premise. I can play old school fps games all day. I am not a multiplayer person so a good campaign is necessary. Playing through real life military situations in first person is not what I got into them for. Put some aliens or monsters in them.