I hate vegetables

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
I don't particularly care for vegetables either, although I do love broccoli and peas.

As it's been said before, suck it up and eat them, mixing them in with other foods is a good way to do that. I have always done chicken stir-fry with a ton of different vegetables and it works out fairly well.

commiedic

Sep 2, 2010
Fruit will make you fat also. FYI. If you don't like the taste of vegetables and hate to eat them by themselves you can always find good things that go with them. Like cheese or ranch dressing. Though you are kind of beating the purpose of eating vegetables with these.

Now what I do is use a juicer. I cut up some veggies place them in water for about an hour and juice them. Like I will mix:

4 stocks of celery
4-6 full length carrots
2 cucumbers
1 Tomato
2 apples

Trust me it sounds and looks nasty, but it is actually quite good. This makes depending on the juicer about 24oz or 700ml of drink. Trust me its a good meal replacement too. If you do eat something with it. Just make sure it isn't fast food or something. Like a sanmmich or something.

EDIT: You can pretty much add anything to the juiced concoction if you like. Most of the time I can't taste the veggies and the fruit stands out more. Oranges, bananas, apples, grapes, strawberries, and pears are my top for juicing.

BoTTeNBReKeR

Oct 23, 2008
I'm not a big vegetable fan. However, to me, it sounds rather simple. You've never learned to eat/appreciate vegetables. The more you eat, the less awkward they taste.

I remember when I was 10 I did not like broccoli, but my parents always forced me to eat them. Now, I really don't mind eating them anymore. Infact, I even like them quite a lot now and there's literally not a single vegetable I won't eat.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
ImBigBob said:
Any of you guys have the same aversion to them? Any tips for cooking them that might actually make me want to eat them?
The only thing I can recommend is practice. I have the same aversion as well and to beat it I had to keep eating them. One at a time now. A good way to start with lettuce is Caesar salad since its only the lettuce with plenty of extras, and now I'm completely used to it. For celery it's peanut butter but I preferred Nutella. Onions is alot harder and I found it best to simply grind it up and use it as a spice to get used to the taste. I'm still trying to get used to tomatoes but have been working on it via salsa with a good queso on the side to change which dip between chips. Sadly there is no shortcut for broccoli and cauliflower and to get used to those you simply have to power through.

A good starting vegetable for me was actually asparagus of all things. I found if you get them thin, cover them in olive oil and sea salt and bake them, they almost taste like french fries. Just cut back on the oil/salt with each serving until you can eat them without either.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
I agree. Vegetables are disgusting. Not like the food that has to be raised and slaughered before I gorge myself on it like an enormous, disdented amoeba. That kind is delicious.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
I used to have a problem with vegetables until I started trying them raw. Most of the stuff I don't like cooked, I'm ok with raw.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
kman123 said:
Celery in soup is pretty nice. Is tomato a veg? I like to think it is.
Fruit.

A fruit is anything with more than one seed inside of it. (except a banana, that's a herb)

I love me veggies, the only two I can't eat are beans/peas, they just turn into a bitter tasting mush. The other is celery, it doesn't taste of water, it taste of bitter nothing (like a sharp bitterness but it's like a hollow taste).

Every night for the past 3 months all I have eaten every night is steamed chicken fillet and veg. The veg being broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and spuds.

I just need to correct the rest of my diet and I am well away.

I just love sugar too much.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Strawberries? Grapes? They're fruit, yeah, but they're still a good source of good stuff and they're delicious :D

Also, carrots. And I love celery ^.^

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
First thought was: then say goodbye to your large intestine...

Seriously though, it's all in the way it's cooked, that is, what sauce, what else it's prepared with, main dish etc. A lot, though, I'll admit are tasteless right down to it (e.g. lettuce). Though, I'm yet to meet someone who dislikes bean sprouts. Goes well with pretty much anything, but that's just me and my cooking habits.

TheGhostOfSin

Terrible, Terrible Damage.
May 21, 2008
Yeah, most veg I can't stand and I only really know of potatoes and broccoli that I can eat. Every other veg I've ever tried has made me gag or vomit, I have a try anything once mentality with food but I'm pretty much on a meat, fish, dairy and grains diet due to everything else tasting awful.

So screw being healthy, just eat what you like and enjoy your life without having to force plants down your throat.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
The only veg I don't like is sprouts, and I still eat them.

Also the most putrid and disgusting food on the face of the planet is mushrooms. /thread.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I've been losing weight recently and I'm not a huge vegetable fan - I don't mind the taste and I'll eat what I'm given, but I rarely choose veg myself. That said, in my quest to shift a few pounds stone and get the body I desire, I haven't ever watched what I've eaten in the sense of having a diet, I just ate less and exercised more, so I burn more than I consume. I found that if I don't eat in the morning, I could generally last until 6 or 7pm until I got even a little hungry.

Simply put, if you don't like something, don't eat it. This is your life so live it your way, find a way around the problem like I did.
This. Just eat as healthily as you can manage, get as much fruit as you can (as in replace other food with fruit, don't just add it).

Eat less over all (although reducing all meals is better than cutting one out) and move about more. That's really the best way to lose weight.

EDIT: Also, chop up root veg like carrot, parsnip, potato etc and put them in some water with stock cubes/beef stock and some pre browned meat and boil that shit for about an hour or two. Eat that bad boy. You will be full for about 99999999 years and it's got veggies which will taste slightly of meat (and be soft).

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Cook them then. Vegetables can be rather bland raw. To keep yourself healthy while making vegetables more palpable, I'd suggest sauteing them with olive oil. You can use vegetable, flaxseed, canola oil or any other type of oil if you'd like, just keep in mind that each oil has a different heat tolerance. Olive oil has the least while vegetable oil has the most.

-Okay, what you'll want to do first is pour a little oil into a pan, just enough to coat the bottom and turn the burner on medium temperature. (Oil can heat up rather quickly unless you add salt, but don't add it just yet.)
-Next cut up a small or medium sized onion, doesn't matter the color.
-Once the pan is hot or when the oil loses its viscosity, toss the diced onion into the pan. (Be careful not to burn yourself on the oil that will splash.) Add salt and fresh cracked pepper and stir.
-While the onions are cooking, select a few vegetables and mushrooms and cut them up. (I'd suggest 2 or 3 vegetables max so as not to overpower the dish.)
-Toss the vegetables in with the onions and stir it together.
-For flavor, add some basil, and oregano for basic dishes.
***For meat dishes add thyme, balsamic or pomegranate vinaigrette, steak, barbecue, or soy sauce, and bit of hot sauce for a bit of a bite.
***For fish dishes add dill, 1/2 a stick of unsalted butter, white cooking wine or sherry, lemon juice and lemon zest.
-Cook the vegetables on medium heat while stirring occasionally until the onions turn translucent and the vegetables become tender.

~Always add onions to your dish when you plan on cooking/sauteing vegetables because as the onions caramelize in the pan, they release a very sweet flavor, and onions are always complementary to any meat you would add.

Or you could grill your vegetables (large fleshy vegetables such as squash and eggplant are the best choice for this method):
-All you would need to do is marinate the vegetables overnight in a mix of an oil of your choice, and thyme, basil, oregano (rosemary optional depending on your tastes.
-Place all the ingredients in a large freezer bag, seal it and toss the bag a few times to mix the spices, oil, and vegetables together then place the bag in the refrigerator.
-When you're ready to grill the vegetables, light the grill and turn down the heat to medium. (The marinated vegetables will be soft and would thus burn quite easily.)
-Place the vegetables on the grill and flip every few minutes.

There's a lot you can do with vegetables from the standard boiling it in water for a few minutes. And they're very versatile foods, you can do anything with vegetables and they tend to last longer than fruits. They also contain a ton of vital vitamins and minerals that your body needs in order to function. I'd stay away from the starchy vegetables such as corn and potatoes because they are hard on your digestive system, and too much of the starchy vegetables can actually add weight instead of losing it. Leafy greens are the best choice for losing weight, but I'd suggest adding root veggies such as turnips/radishes/carrots for a fuller taste and color. All in all, experiment with how you cook your veggies, spices are your friends, and make sure to use a light oil.

Good luck in the kitchen. :3

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
The best thing about vegetables is they make you poop good.

Nothing worse than semi-constipated greasy meat-only poop.

I'm assuming you're still young. Younger folk pick up the bitterness in veggies more than the older folk. And the word "regularity" means practically nothing to a person under 25.

Throwitawaynow

Aug 29, 2010
I can't eat vegetables without something extremely unhealthy to go with it. I can't have added salt so no broccoli as that stuff is nasty without seasoned all, corn needs butter, celery needs ranch, carrots need ranch, lettuce needs ranch to make a salad or it can be in a burger/sandwich, etc. Noticing a pattern here, I really like ranch dressing.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Weird.

taste is of course subjective, but i thought not liking veg was just an adversarial kid thing.

also. cooked food is always vastly more nutritious for you than raw food. Vis: you would starve to death in three months on nothing but raw food.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
No lettuce on a burger..? So I'm assuming stir fry is out, then? Ever tried sushi?
Christ, I can barely fathom it... vegetables are about 70% of my diet...