I Have A Burning Question In Need of Answering

Catnip1024

Jan 25, 2010
Animals as leaders. Not your traditional frontman, but Tosin is the only one I actually know the name of, so...

Crossfaith (not delving into the rest of the J-rock world, but Crossfaith seem to be in the UK a lot and sing exclusively in English).

And that's before you even look at the massive solo artists mentioned above - Prince, Jimi Hendrix, Lenny Kravitz.

BreakfastMan said:
Ah, good call here. For some reason, I always forget that Freddie Mercury was actually Indian...
I thought he was Zanzibarbarian?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Catnip1024 said:
Animals as leaders. Not your traditional frontman, but Tosin is the only one I actually know the name of, so...

Crossfaith (not delving into the rest of the J-rock world, but Crossfaith seem to be in the UK a lot and sing exclusively in English).

And that's before you even look at the massive solo artists mentioned above - Prince, Jimi Hendrix, Lenny Kravitz.

BreakfastMan said:
Ah, good call here. For some reason, I always forget that Freddie Mercury was actually Indian...
I thought he was Zanzibarbarian?
I thought he was Parsi, he was just born in Zanzibar.

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
Bloc Party came to mind immediately, but everyone already said it.

I doubt anyone remembers one-hit wonders from the 90's, but Mark Kano of Athenaeum isn't white.
Ben Harper, unless you count hit as solo... also it's light rock.

Also, if we're sticking to 90's and we've hit light rock, might as well mention Hootie and the Blowfish.

Getting out of the 90's, Mitski is neither white nor male.
Also, CSS, the singer Lovefoxxx is both latina and Japanese and female and CSS is undeniably rock where some of the other stuff I mentioned is kind of light rock at best.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Before Elvis Presley made it popular among the white mainstream, almost all of the American Rock & Roll bands fit that description, considering rock was the next step up from the Blues. It was basically the Hip Hop of the early 1900s.

Some early/mid 1900s band, or band-member names I found after checking some online articles were:
Little Richard, Fat Domino, Chuck Berry, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, and Brittany Howard. I'm sure there are a bunch of others, but that's my list for now.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
Man With a Mission. They don't speak English primarily, but they speak it well enough for me to count it. They are known for their songs in various anime, but it's not like they still aren't legitimate songs and fairly solid otherwise.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Fathless.

Also

Skunk Anansie and Bloc Party but they've been said already. I'd also add Thin Lizzy to the list.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
MiskWisk said:
And here I was hoping this was a thread referencing Sunless Sea.
Dammit, I was going to make a joke but I cant remember where Burning Question is. The Exile? Dawn Machine? I thought it was about being unaccountably peckish but found I was wrong.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
trunkage said:
MiskWisk said:
And here I was hoping this was a thread referencing Sunless Sea.
Dammit, I was going to make a joke but I cant remember where Burning Question is. The Exile? Dawn Machine? I thought it was about being unaccountably peckish but found I was wrong.
It's the Carnilean Exile's questline to find the letter's of the name which burns in Frostfound to utter it at Kingeater's Castle.

I may have recently been on a Sunless Sea kick.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Queen - Freddie Mercury
Bodycount - Ice-T
Straight Line Stitch - Alexis Brown
Sevendust - Lajon Witherspoon
Bad Brains - H.R.
Bo Diddley
Funkadelic - George Clinton
Little Richard
Carlos Santana
Black Merda - VC L. Veasey, Tyrone Hite, Charles Hawkins, Anthony Hawkins
Death - Bobby Hackney
King's X - Doug Pinnick
System Of A Down - Serj Tankian

Also, Slash is mixed race, and although not a vocalist, since all his bands since Guns n' Roses are touted as 'has Slash in it' over anything else, I'd say that gives him a reasonable claim to the title of lead.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Not sure how purest we're being with the definition of rock, but the punk band Bad Brains is entirely African American.