I have a problem.

Stella Q

Nov 18, 2007
I'm an obsessively compulsive quicksaver. I quicksave before I enter every room. I quicksave before (sometimes during) every gunfight. I even quicksave every time I pick up a health pack or ammo. If I have to walk down a hallway, I quicksave before I start walking and quicksave again when I get to the end. It probably averages out to a quicksave every 10-15 seconds or so. Often I reload a gunfight over and over until I do it perfectly without being hit and without a bullet wasted.

It takes all of the challenge out of every game and ruins my immersion, but I can't stop doing it. It's gotten to the point where I wince when I see that a game has a quicksave option because I know what kind of gameplay experience I'm inevitably in for.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is there a cure?

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
I kinda like doing that.

Set the difficulty way up and think of it as an elaborate performance? ;)

-- Alex

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
That's an interesting dilemma.

Would removing the quicksave key from the keyboard help? Or maybe just binding it to a hard-to-reach button? I would think that the best "cure" for quicksave-fever is just to not quicksave-- so making it difficult to do so would be the first step.

OurGloriousLeader

May 14, 2008
Yeah I do that, the original half-life got quicksaved every metre I walked through a room. But on the hard difficulty, you had to, because one minor fall and all your suit and health is gone.

Anyway, it became an instinct, and Mass Effect and Bioshock were the same. I have no cure.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Don't cut it back. Just stop. Never quicksave. Try and go through an entire level without it. As long as you can keep this up, you might kick it.

Unless of course you really suck at games and die at every room.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
*gives Stella Q the Xbox version of Morrowind*

The loading is so long, it would make you save only once a year.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
I have a nasty habit of forgetting to save, I always rely upon the auto save features (beginnings of levels and after certain key points). This becomes very infuriating when I replay slightly older games that rely upon the user saving it. Nothing like having to replay 10-15 minutes of a game...

I honestly can't suggest anything bar binding quicksave to alt-f4.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
the_tramp said:
I have a nasty habit of forgetting to save, I always rely upon the auto save features (beginnings of levels and after certain key points). This becomes very infuriating when I replay slightly older games that rely upon the user saving it. Nothing like having to replay 10-15 minutes of a game...

I honestly can't suggest anything bar binding quicksave to alt-f4.
1. Try replaying three hours worth.

2. Better yet, put quickload to where you currently have quicksave.
Hilarity insues.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
PurpleRain said:
Don't cut it back. Just stop. Never quicksave. Try and go through an entire level without it. As long as you can keep this up, you might kick it.
Or we do things the hard way. Y'see, it's a lot harder to quicksave when you're too busy thinking about the wolverine in ya' pantry...

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Copter400 said:
PurpleRain said:
Or we do things the hard way. Y'see, it's a lot harder to quicksave when you're too busy thinking about the wolverine in ya' pantry...
When I read that, I automatically thought of the Xmen Wolverine, not the animal. That would make it much more frightning. Anytime you try and quicksave: *Shnk*

Sayvara

Oct 11, 2007
I recognize the problem... I do about the same. Suggested remedies: forbid yoruself from quicksaving. Undefind the QS/QL buttons. Play it not for perfection but for the heck of it. Go Rambo... dash in and kill everything in sight just because it's fun.

/S

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
I would suggest shock therapy. Everytime you quicksave, you get an electric shock. Maybe that will help cure your disease.

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
Maybe try playing games with no Quicksave on a super hard difficulty.

I'm not sure if CoD2 on the PC has Quicksave but if it dosen't, try that.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
In persona, I have the opposite. I never save until about 8 hours and after at least 1 full moon.

But in morrowind, I have this problem. I don't care how long it is, getting the damn "your disc is dirty"....