I have had it with Valve

Krylock

Dec 20, 2010
When was the last time Valve [http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/meanwhile.jpg] announced a completely new series? L4D...how long ago was it?

Now they just announced Portal 2...or should I say Portal: More of the Same."

I mean, at least they could have it on a new engine, but NO!

They have used the same engine for an entire decade.

WOW!

Not to mention they have completely forgotten their best franchise! Hey guys! Remember Dr. Freeman! You know, the whole of Earth and stuff!

There should have been no "episodes" in the first place for HL2, and they should have all come out in the same year considering around five minutes were put into each section.

They are the perfect example of a lazy company, stop using the nasty Source engine, and get their engineers to make something that doesn't have Gamecube graphics.

I give up. I can't be pacified with TF2 updates forever. If Valve doesn't announce Episode 3, or HL3 running on a new engine soon I'm just done with them as a developer.

Actually I think they were done with Ep. 3 a long time ago, Gabe just ate it.

What do you think about the company?

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Don't fix what isn't broke I suppose.

The L4D series is very popular and very good.

Nearly everyone is excited for Portal 2.

The TF2 updates are free. I don't complain about free stuff.

EDIT: I care little for the Half Life games so HL3 doesn't bother me.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
I'm confused as to how one could eat a game. That would, at the very least, be painful.

I will agree with you on how they haven't announced a new series in forever. But in a way, they're kind of like Nintendo. Go with what works, right? Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon...etc. It works. It gets money. It's a viable business model.

Faky

Oct 15, 2009
I started to despise Vulva the day they announced L4D2, instead of the promised continuous support for L4D.
They have good games, but i will never buy another game from them for more than 4,99?. Ever! (L$Dx is excluded and would only accept it for free).

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
How can you declare that Portal 2 is just going to be "more of the same"? Have you played the game yet? No, you haven't, and therefore you have absolutely no basis for your claim that it will be "more of the same", and thus that point just makes you look like a troll.

As for the rest of your rant, I don't really see the problem - the Source engine runs great, it looks perfectly fine, and sure, Valve hasn't released a new series in quite a while, but there are plenty of other companies making new games, so this doesn't really bother me. Plus, the games Valve have already released are awesome, and that's never going to change. So, on the whole, I'm perfectly happy with Valve - if nothing else, Valve gave us Steam, and with those amazing sales they come out with seemingly every week, I just can't stay mad at them :)

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
If you don't like their product then don't use it, it's that easy. They're hugely popular for various reasons (e.g. their current sale; they only release games which are finished), but no-one's forcing you to support them.

Personally they're one of my favourite retailers, & certainly my favourite games retailer.

FortheLegion

Dec 16, 2008
Bernzz said:
I'm confused as to how one could eat a game. That would, at the very least, be painful.
Burn the data onto a piece of toast then eat it?

Meh I don't care about valve

Snake Plissken

Jul 30, 2010
Welcome to the club. Everyone hates their release schedule, but it's really no worse than Blizzard. Just forget about them like we all do for the time being, and be excited when they release something new. If they don't want your money right now, it means you get to give it to another company who actually DOES release games on a consistent basis.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
Krylock said:
Actually I think they were done with Ep. 3 a long time ago, Gabe just ate it.

What do you think about the company?
Damnit! Now you've delayed Episode 3 another month! No Gabe-Newel-is-fat-jokes! [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZaY1jV96jI]

OT: As long as they keep pushing awesome games, monthlong holidaysales and hilarious public announcements, how can I be angry with them? Sure, steamworks is loads amount of asshattery, but there are to much pros to bother.

And why did you start complaining about Valve not doing original work now? They have never build original work more than Half-Life, instead, they are master of taking good ideas and making them into GOTY material.

Istanbul

Dec 24, 2010
Receiving more Portal is a lot like receiving more bacon given to you by a supermodel carrying a blank check made out to you.

Sure, it's more of the same. BUT I'M TOTALLY OKAY WITH THAT.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
FortheLegion said:
Bernzz said:
Burn the data onto a piece of toast then eat it?
I like how you think.

*eats game*

baffscruff

Apr 15, 2009
To be honest I would much rather wait for content that is good than repeadedly pay full price for expansion packs. *Cough Activision cough*.

And yes, the engines are old, but they work, and again I would much rather enjoy a game for it's gameplay and story than I would appreciate a game for some slight prettyness in graphics that you need an incredibly high end pc to really appreciate anyway.

It sucks having to wait, but if that's what it takes for them to continue making great games then I'll wait.

Jun 11, 2008
I have to be honest why would they change the source engine until they have a new big game for it? Loads of people use Garry's Mod, the Source Engine games can be basically run by nearly every computer giving them a larger install base, they already have so many games on it, also graphics are not and should never be important.

Sandvichman

May 26, 2010
Just a troll - move along people. Really, though. Portal 2 will be running on an updated version of the Source engine. I assume you haven't seen any screenshots or moved your lazy arse to read any of the updates. Please get your facts right before you spew that bullshit around here.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
Sense of entitlement much? Newsflash, Valve don't owe you anything, they can continue releasing games very slowly on the Source engine, or hell even quit making games all together if they want.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Krylock said:
When was the last time Valve [http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/meanwhile.jpg] announced a completely new series? L4D...how long ago was it?
The game was released two years ago. How many big developers have created new franchises in the last two years?

Krylock said:
Now they just announced Portal 2...or should I say Portal: More of the Same."
Just now? Try back in March. And it doesn't look like more of the same to me, but I'll judge the game when I've played it.

Krylock said:
I mean, at least they could have it on a new engine, but NO!

They have used the same engine for an entire decade.

WOW!
Six years, actually. The first Source game was released in 2004.

And they've constantly updated said engine to incorporate new features. Don't really see the relevance, though, as long as the games produced are aesthetically appealing and aren't noticeably functionally hampered by the tech.

Did you know that developers still use Unreal Engine 2? The first UE2 games were released in 2002, and BioShock 2 was released this year. Duke Nukem Forever also supposedly uses the engine and is set for a 2011 release.