I Have Obtained ME 3 Ending Enlightenment, A MUST-READ FOR ANYONE QUESTIONING THE ME 3 ENDINGS!

Mar 9, 2012
If your analogy are to make any sense with the Catalysts special brand of "logic", the crops made the locusts themselves, and the farmer would be a giant locust himself.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
There is just one flaw I would like to point out.
It's not the Reaper who created the Mass Relays. It's the civilization that created the Reaper. They created the Reaper, the Citadel and the Relays.

That's what I learned from the game. I think that little Timmy referred to them as to the Creator, like the Geth call the Quarians.

PureAussieGamer

Feb 9, 2010
Lord Siathene said:
PureAussieGamer said:
I'm probably alone on? this,but I like one of the endings to Mass Effect 3. Hear me out. Ok, so throughout all the Mass Effect series all the races are completely divided. Asari, Turian, Salarian, Krogan, Quarian, humanity, etc. Well with the relays destroyed and all the different fleets at earth at the time this happened, they now have to all stay together on earth and coexist.Shepard truly unites all the different species. And thats why Shepard's a legend. Thats my two cents, anyway.
But as far as I'm aware, don't Turians, and Quarians need very specific diets to live, both of which are probably not going to be apparent on Earth. So odds are they are dying out really fast. Plus there is this one little thing called natural resources. People expanded all over the galaxy because these things aren't infinite, and I'm going to assume that Earth, as well as the few planets in the system are most likely fully depleted at this point in the future so rebuilding a nearly completely destroyed planet is going to be pretty difficult if not impossible. Even if they did win, they are stuck on a planet with few resources, and no real way to get more since the relays are gone. Pretty screwed...
That might be true but i think if you look into the ending past what ive said its going to be a bad ending for you. Thats like looking at any ending of a game and going "well hes going to die of old age anyway"

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
wicket42 said:
distortedreality said:
ravenshrike said:
Locke_Cole said:
ravenshrike said:
RJ 17 said:
Questions? Comments?
Assuming arguendo that the glowy fuckwit's hypothesis is correct leads inevitably to synthetic seed ships from the Andromeda galaxy coming along and stripping all resources from our galaxy. After all, his entire contention is that AIs will always arise that destroy organic life and ONLY the reapers are stopping this from happening in the Milky Way. Thus, sooner or later the seed ships will come. And since the cycle has been going on for millions of years they could already be a significant part of the way to the Milky Way. Unless you want to make some BS claim about intelligent life not arising in other galaxies. Otherwise that IS what will happen. Only logical conclusion.

The reason the ending is so godawfully bad is because IT WAS CHANGED. Either because of the leak or because EA thought it couldn't be milked enough is up for debate. But it was changed.
What was the original ending? Or do we know? I've been curious about it since I beat the game and haven't been able to find it anywhere.
It had to do with the Dark Energy buildup on Haestrom and how the reapers were integral to finding a way to stop it.
Is there any more info on this?

I always wondered what was happening there, one of the few things from ME2 that didn't get any closure at all.
All I've really seen is this

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/somethingawful-the-plot-of-me3-changed-dramatically-big-big-spoilers.250066288/
That ending would of made so much more sense and would of been a lot more powerful.

Is a tremendous shame we didn't get that. I would definitely pay for that ending.

Now that I think back to ME2 a little more, it fits in perfectly with a lot of things that were said and happened. I honestly can't understand what reason they would of had for changing it.

Fucking asshats. I wasn't too annoyed by the ending but now that i've seen the alternative i'm REALLY pissed off.

Wheatley

Feb 12, 2011
Nimcha said:
Terminate421 said:
The wave saying it destroyed all Synthetics doesn't do what it says.

It only destroyed the Reapers:
A. Tali and Garrus's equipment still work, so it doesn't fry electronics
B. EDI is seen coming out of the ship after the crash
C. This means the geth are still alive so the Catalyst was trying to fuck with your mind
D. At the end, Shepard wakes up from what looks to be rubble on earth so the "end" was all a hallucination.
I don't think your post can be taken seriously, but if it is meant that way:

I had the destroy ending too and only Liara, Joker and Ashley came out of the ship. My Shepard died and does not wake up in the rubble.
Shepard only survives if you had over 4500 EMS. Also, the only people who come out of the ship are Joker and the two squadmates you brought on the final mission with you.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
saleem said:
BloatedGuppy said:
From the (enormous) indoctrination speculation thread on the Bioware forums:

Snippety Snip
You know reading this idea is actually plausible. I dont know if anyone has noticed but ALL the default endings are the renegade one's - you kill the council, you save the collector base - That would make the Destroy ending the canonical one if the trending continues.

So the question remains is everyone in sword and hammer STILL fighting the reapers while your out cold and duking it out with Harbinger in your head? Is the ending of ME3 just one big dream sequence leaving the door open for DLC to come in and finish it off?

Nah that would be too much to hope for wouldnt it.
have you been following the Twitter feeds?

the ME Rep has been constantly cryptic about something.

Mahha

May 20, 2009
I have a good analogy for the mass effect series.

Imagine if you will an athletic relay. Mass effect 1 starts off with good speed ahead of its opponents it gets a bit tired in the middle of his track but is still the first to pass the stick to the next competitor. Mass effect 2 is off to a great start, but it runs out of air somewhere near the end of the first third of his track. The track suddenly seems a lot longer than he judged at first, he slower his pace. With the slow pace he losses some of the advantage the first runner gained but non the less is still the first to pass the stick. Mass effect 3 bolts through the track with lightning speed. Everything goes smoothly, the surface and the sues have an optimal contact. It's perfection incarnate. But tragedy strikes in the last meter, fate plays a cruel joke and the runner crashes in front of the finish line. It's not a flat crash but more of a half assed judo roll through the finish line. The team still gets the gold but the runner must bear the disgrace of shaming the team.

I have no issue with the endings. The problem is not in the endings per se, but in the way the choice of ending is executed. If the game took control after the confrontation with Illusive man, if the choice of ending was calculated based on the paragon/renegade status of your character (something like 80% paragon jumps into the beam, undecided 50:50 kills the reapers and mostly renegade control) the whole ending business would have been a non issue, at least for me. Thats the minimum of what they could have done to make it feel more like consequence instead of just some arbitrary selection box thing.

As for the "definitive good ending" some fans drag around... What else is the synergy of organic and synthetic life other than a definitively good ending. Sure Shepard dies, but isn't that kinda the point? Sacrifice for the greater good and all that.

Still, I enjoyed the game and the ending - however mishandled it was - did not ruin the experience for me.

Merrick_HLC

Mar 13, 2012
Immsys said:
Merrick_HLC said:
There's also the fact the game very well contradicts itself.

"The Reapers do this because without it Technology will destroy organic life. It's unavoidable"

Several Hours Earlier.

Shepard sees how the Geth purposely didn't continue war with the Creators/Quarian, and can actually bring the two together in peace once again.

The game itself gives good reason to believe the very "inevitability" we're supposedly acting to prevent in the final act isn't an inevitability.
Here we run into a logical problem. What you have given an example of is ONE synthetic race that is willing to live in peace with organics. This does not prove that ALL synthetic races are willing, or indeed capable, of living in peace with organics. Just because it is possible not to, does not make it not inevitable.
Actually if it's even remotely possible not to, that means it's not INEVITABLE.
Even a tiny chance of something not happening means it's not completely unavoidable it happens.

Now, we can agree it doesn't mean there's "no chance" it'll happen, hell maybe odds are it would..., but there is still a problem of having your game end with "Synthetics will inevitably destroy their creators" when the ONLY examples of synthetics you have in your game do not follow that example at all.

Unless you are literally going for a "mindfuck" ending, your ending to your story should not directly contradict what the gamer experiences going through your world.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Deshara said:
So basically the whole Reaper thing is that it's better to have the life of the galaxy in the hands of a farmer, who'll continue to kill off the mature crops while letting the young crops grow and continue to reproduce, instead of leaving it in the hands of a cloud of locust who'll destroy everything indiscriminately, leaving the galaxy lifeless.
That is exactly it. The reapers exist because of the possibility that organic life will create extremely hostile synthetic life. The reapers are trying to prevent a future like the one from the Terminator series, or Matrix series.

The reapers "reap" the organics about the time they are developing AI. If you bought the prothean DLC, Javik mentions that the Protheans had just started fighting a war against their own AI. This is stated so deliberately by Javik that it can only be interpreted as Bioware trying to rub our face in a context clue.

There is one logical problem, and that is of course that the Catalyst itself is a "benevolent" AI, and the Geth and EDI are benevolent AI. So really, it doesn't seem inevitable that all organic life will eventually be destroyed by synthetic life at all. But I suppose might makes right and it doesn't really matter if the Catalyst is justified when it has the power to destroy everything in the galaxy.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Deshara said:
Uszi said:
There is one logical problem, and that is of course that the Catalyst itself is a "benevolent" AI, and the Geth and EDI are benevolent AI. So really, it doesn't seem inevitable that all organic life will eventually be destroyed by synthetic life at all. But I suppose might makes right and it doesn't really matter if the Catalyst is justified when it has the power to destroy everything in the galaxy.
I know a guy who has a domesticated wolf as a pet. It's the sweetest animal I've ever met, and I wouldn't believe you if you told me it so much as hurt a fly.
Doesn't mean being around wolfs is safe, though.
Er. Instead of benevolent, better to say, "Uninterested in fully extinguishing organic life."

That's... kind of benevolent. I don't know, poor word choice initially on my part.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
*slow clap*

Thank you, this is pretty much what I have been thinking for the past few hours(just beat the game). However I take it in a different way. If you choose synthesis or control you are going to take a future from the cycle at least in a way. However, if you destroy the reapers, you finally give organics something they never had; true self determination. That is to me the only thing that you could wish for. New relays would be built, it would only be a matter of time.

Merrick_HLC

Mar 13, 2012
I'm going to try to do a less wordy post here, just the bullet points.

Yes it's possible the Catalyst was right & AI would turn on humanity at some point.
But this should have been shown through GAMEPLAY. Don't make it possible to have every AI you've ever met fighting to save organic life.

Yes, sometimes phyrric victories are the only victory to be had, and these tragic endings can make great stories.
But don't put this kind of ending in a series that, until now, has had the theme of every ending be "You can overcome the odds and get a definitive victory" especially not if the second games mechanics taught you "If you work hard enough, you can have everyone survive"

I think the reason so many of us object to the ending isn't because "Well you just hate phyrric victories and want everything to end happily all the time, regardless of how impossible that is in real life"

Our problem is the Mass Effect series taught us in game 1 & game 2, that you can face the unwinnable situation and make it winnable.
That you can save damn near everyone if you work hard enough.

If you blindfold someone and set up the stack/circumstances where they have every logical reason to believe you're gonna give them an apple....and you give them a lemon?
They're probably gonna be upset.

It's not they hate lemons, it's not they think lemons shouldn't exist.
It's that it's totally not what they expected and something that they couldn't have expected from the evidence given.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
saleem said:
of ME3 just one big dream sequence leaving the door open for DLC to come in and finish it off?

Nah that would be too much to hope for wouldnt it.
Not really. It is the only logical explanation because I refuse to believe that any writer could make so many mistakes in the final 10 minutes of the game after the rest of it was so awesome.

My theory is that Bioware was messing with our minds. The easiest way to indoctrinate someone is when you already know how they think. And Bioware knows how we think. We think that blue color is good choice and red one is bad choice. Then why does Shepard wake up in a pile of rubble after red ending? In that ending the Citadel is destroyed. No one can survive that. He was never on the Citadel. Reapers messed with his head, and Bioware messed with ours.

There was also a theory that the kid Shepard couldn't save was actually Shepard. I've dismissed that theory because the kid is a boy even when you play as FemShep.

But I'm just showing off now.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
BloatedGuppy said:
Uh...you're missing a few.

1. Shepard, after being "hit" by Harbinger's laser, awakens. She's carrying an unfamiliar pistol, and wearing unfamiliar armor. Someone suggested her armor was "melted off", but anything hot enough to melt off her body armor would most certainly have killed her, or at least severely burned her. Why the change of clothes/weapons on Shepard?
Lame explanation: Bioware wanted cool "battle damage" to show just how injured you were. But, they didn't want to spend the time and money to create battle damaged models of all the possible armor combinations in the game.

So you default to battle damaged standard N7 armor.

They wanted you to use a hold out pistol to emphasize just how weak you were, so even if you didn't go into the fight with a pistol equipped, they gave you one.

Unfortunately, there are gameplay motivated reasons for each of these and I'd say they're the most likely explanations for them.

2. Garrus was last with me storming down towards the portal to the Citadel. During the ending cut scene, Garrus gets off the crashed Normandy. How?
I don't know, you actually don't really see him charging with you. I've heard, though not seen for myself, that your squad mates actually stand on top of the hill where they spawn and don't run down with you. Which is probably a bug.

I think they're "supposed to" charge down the hill with you. You do, apparently, see they're bodies lying around if you're EMS isn't high enough.

The crash landing ending is inexplicable. I think the only explanation is that it is some sort of fever dream Shepard experiences while he/she is buried under the rubble or being vaporized by the crucible.

3. When you activate the Crucible and it sends out its relay destroying pulse, Joker is...where? Flying the ship away, really fast? Riding the blast wave? Riding the Mass Relay? Why isn't he involved in the fight? It's completely unclear why Joker is flying away extremely fast at this juncture in time, as he has absolutely no warning whatsoever of what is about to occur.
My interpretation is that he tried to jump the relay before the blast hit it. While traversing the relay, it catches up to him in the massless corridor of the relay.

Why he did this is never explained, which is why the Normandy crash landing scene is such bullshit. I guess you have to assume he saw the catalyst go off, assumed it would do horrible things to the ship, and tried to escape it. Or something.

4. In the "good" ending where Shepard lives, you're given an image of a battered/bloody Shepard lying in some rubble, taking a breath. Shepard was just on board an exploding citadel. "Lying in some rubble" seems an unlikely result of an exploding Citadel. Are we to believe she went through the atmosphere?
I think this can only be interpreted as he/she being on London. Not only does it look like a pile of concrete, of which there is none on the citadel, but the citadel is clearly broken up into tiny flaming pieces when it blasts the relays.

So... You'd have to survive the explosion in your face from the red thing (pretty big), the exploding station ripping you apart (huge), a long fall at high velocity through a flaming debris field in a vacuum (you don't have a helmet or pressurized suite), atmospheric re-entry, and crash landing at terminal velocity.

No. The so called "deep breath" cut scene can only be of Shep waking up on Earth, and it can't be Shep waking up on Earth after the destruction of the Citadel/Crucible/Catalyst.

5. In the "destroy all synthetics" ending, EDI can occasionally be seen exiting the crashed Normandy with Joker. How?
Because the Normandy Crash sequence was guest written and directed by David Lynch.

6. The destruction of the Mass Relays, as per The Arrival, would've resulted in the complete devastation of their home systems. There wouldn't be much of a galaxy left after that, so all three of Shepard's choices are technically "Armageddon". They are, at best, small upgrades on the Reaper invasion you spend 98% of the series working to avert.
Yes. You're decision to blow the relays basically sends the galaxy back into the dark ages.

People have suggested that in the "control" ending, Shep could use the reapers knowledge/tech to rebuild the relays and guide the next cycle. A similar sentiment for synthesis: Reapers no longer need to kill us, so they help us? Maybe.

But the cycle you spent 3 games defending is certainly over no matter what you do.

So, we've got two possible explanations for all this stuff.

1. Shepard was indoctrinated. At some point between the arrival of Harbinger/her talk with the Luminous Space Baby, Shepard cracked, and the Reapers finally indoctrinated her. Matrix style, she is playing out a delusion inside her head while the war continues to rage around her. Likelihood of this...very low.

2. Bioware got really fucking lazy when they put the ending together. Throwing out for a second the closure it provides/doesn't provide, it's simply festooned with bizarre inconsistencies and unexplained events. So instead of snuffling and swelling with emotion, as expected, we're left going "Huh?".
And that's why there's an internet shit storm.

#2 is the actual explanation. Maybe if people hoot and holler enough on the internet, Bioware will retcon it by releasing #1 as DLC. For $9.99.

Huh... so, I guess my tl;dr is I agree with you completely! Good job.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
Shock and Awe said:
...New relays would be built, it would only be a matter of time.
I mean nothing personal, but I really reject this line of reasoning. The Relays were unimaginable reaper tech. Given the explanation of how they work in the codex, and what we know about science today, they're fantasy.

The Protheans managed to build one crappy little relay after 50,000 years, but they had existing relays on which to base their designs and information.

I don't think it's realistic to think that new relays would be built for generations and generations and generations and generations and generations and generations and generations and generations. Which means that any stranded Quarians or Asari or Geth or Krogan or Turians or Salarians or Rachni would never ever see their home worlds again.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
The best theory for this I saw was on RPGCodex - basically, at some point the initial intention was to have Shepard be indoctrinated, things got changed at the last minute (maybe it didn't focus group well), and you wind up with a game that implies indoctrination but doesn't do anything interesting with it.

SadisticBrownie

May 9, 2011
I'm really not sure how to feel about the endings. They had a certain flair, but still...when the credits rolled I felt empty. The rest of the game was majestically executed IMO, so maybe on my second playthrough the endings will click, can always hope.
I saw a theory on the BSN that everything past the raping you get from Harbinger was Shepard's dying struggle with indoctrination. Very unlikely, but I think it'd be cool if it were true.