I Hit It With My Axe: Episode 24: Politics, Shopping and Intermediate Demonology

d23

May 28, 2010
Corvuus said:
These episodes are filmed decently far in advance right? So I shouldn't worry about 'spoiling'/weird meta game, i.e. i can theorize safely without affecting the result?

C
Totally.

I wish there was more speculation on this forum... these ladies are beyond creative and devious.

Not only would I love to see who gets it right, but hearing alternate possibilities and theories would be damn cool.

mandymorbid

Blindheim!
Mar 17, 2010
I really had a lot of fun this session. The political, deep, intertwined plot stuff really makes the game pop for me.

Feystar

Jun 19, 2010
Hurrah, I've been looking forward to someone warning the city that an army was coming. Props to Mandy, plus "what if I show you my tits?" was awesome.

The snakes as books idea is genius, really well thought out. Books that bite! :D

I too have been hoping for a bit more theory-craft and activity round these parts, so here I go.

The medusa seems to be pulling all sorts of strings as far as I can see, what's unclear yet is why. She's organised a goblin attack to coincide with the arrival of a skeleton army and from the sounds of things has the city council enthralled in some way. My first thoughts were to try and rule the city, but why bother, she's about there now and could just turn anyone in her way to stone. Plus the medusa will be living right in the middle of the fight, unless she's planning a holiday sometime soon I believe there's more to it.

I'm thinking there's an ulterior motive underneath the carnage that's coming, I'd say a few hundred feet underneath actually. I'm wondering if all of this is so she can read the wyvern that's under the city, would need one hell of a big puzzle ball for that beasty though.

Feystar

Jun 19, 2010
Oh and just as a random side note, a regent? uh oh, I swear that's like the European equivalent of an arabian nights Vizier in movies. hehe

mandymorbid

Blindheim!
Mar 17, 2010
Tinman_1993 said:
Book of vile darkness??? doesn't that turn you chaotic evil the moment you touch it or read it??
But I'm a tiefling--Gia found out we couldn't read much more of it or we'd go mad actually--during that study date.

TobintheGnome

Jun 3, 2010
I'm not that familiar with DnD, but have some experience with other tabletop/pnp games (Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, W40k). What would be a good place to start to learn more about the basics of DnD? Is there a specific rulebook or webpage which I should seek out?

Thanks!

ps. Show is great.

0over0

Dec 30, 2006
I have to say, does it seem to anyone else that Mandy plays her character differently when she's wearing the purple wig? Her cleric seems more aggressive when it's Mandy-with-the-Mohawk--maybe I'm just imagining things.

I quite liked the video blog parts--not too much of that, but when done sparringly it's good as we get to see more detail on the character's perspective as well as the player's.

Thanks as always.

Feystar

Jun 19, 2010
TobintheGnome said:
I'm not that familiar with DnD, but have some experience with other tabletop/pnp games (Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, W40k). What would be a good place to start to learn more about the basics of DnD? Is there a specific rulebook or webpage which I should seek out?

Thanks!

ps. Show is great.
Well there is the official wizards of the coast website http://www.wizards.com/DnD/ but because they love your money D&D is now up to version 4, so it will not be quite the same as you're watching at the moment. Your best bet would be to try and find a copy of v3.5 players handbook because the old D&D and AD&D (v1 and v2) will be hard to find. (if you do though snap them up because they're getting rare)

that official website should be able to give you a flavour of the game and have a few things for you to try out for free before you have to shell out cash for a book though. In terms of the sort of gaming scenarios you can encounter, I hit it with my axe is actually a darned good example. :)

Feystar

Jun 19, 2010
Ahlycks said:
mandymorbid said:
Ooooh this is gonna get good.
woah, a person from the show goes on this site?
Yup almost all of them do and they seem as cool and likeable in forum posts as they do on screen, though mostly it's to talk to us nut jobs in the IHIWMA threads. Kind of like a post game interview.

They're not afraid to flame the trolls (it's the only way to stop them regenerating after all) and whatever you do, don't mention gorgons. :D

Mordicai Caeli

May 1, 2010
mandymorbid said:
I really had a lot of fun this session. The political, deep, intertwined plot stuff really makes the game pop for me.
I like the intertwined plot & politics stuff myself, as a DM. My players...not so much.

Mordicai Caeli

May 1, 2010
Gina Ex Machina said:
GaudyMarrko said:
why is medusa a race? The Medusa that was killed by Perseus in Greek mythology is a Gorgon.
Again with this?

http://mandymorbid.blogspot.com/2010/03/fuck-medusa-part-two.html?zx=cbfaa8f537edf4ee
Seriously; along with MANY monsters in DnD, the Medusa was singular, & has since become plural. Same with hydras, sphinxes...or the Pegasus, who was associated with Medusa (born from, or formed from her blood)-- so I keep expecting to see THEM show up. Recycling mythology is one of the mainstays of the hobby.

I don't know how I feel about "Male Medusas." 4e makes them into a sexually dimorphic race, with the males lacking headsnakes & having poisonous blood. It is...interesting, but not quite there. I mean, if you remove them you can always say medusas & pegasuses (pegasi?) breed with each other...

Frogprince

Aug 30, 2010
Random comment, I love Connies gloves, so cute.. and Heh, Demons, the shorter faster way into bigger trouble.

Frogprince

Aug 30, 2010
I'm currently waiting for a "Whos the neatest" poll or prehaps a "who you'd most like to 'co-star' with" I don't know.. I know my vote would be different for both questions there.