I Hit It With My Axe: Episode Six: His Body Closes the Door with its Pieces

Bloodysoldier

Jun 9, 2009
chepenoyo said:
Bloody, you just reminded me of a character I had who wished for immortaily back in the days of Effriti wishes. He lived forever, but there was no guarantee that it was good for him. If he hit -11HP, he was still alive, just suffering in a way no one would ever want to. So this one time the party is hauling his dessicated body through the dungeon after they're out of healing. He'd been hit by a dehydrate spell a few rooms back and was alive but incapacitated at negative twenty something hit points. And before the party gets more healing, they stumble into the throne room of the Big Bad Sorcerer running the dungeon. Big Bad pops a prismatic sphere, and is about to throw his first blast spell of the fight once the round comes around to him again.

So: 2nd edition D&D, Prismatic Sphere. He's pretty much immune to most range/magic attacks, and the only way to take it down or make a melee attack is to run into each layer of the sphere and not get killed as that layer does whatever it's going to do to you, right?

So the party strongman thinks on his feet. He hauls back and chucks my Can't Die No Matter How Much He Suffers character at the sphere. Layer 1: failed save. Maximum damage. Layer 2, made save, half damage. Layer 3, and I'm already getting around -100 hit points, failed. We luck out when I hit the plane shift layer: save made. The thrice blasted raisin of a PC sails on. Not so lucky with the save or insanity layer. At the end of it all my character was insane, poisoned, and more than 100 HP in the hole.

Yeah, those were the days.
I had one character that wanted immortality, but I failed at one of my throws. And as a consequence I got turned into something random, out of all the things in the world my DM created I became a stone. A regular stone I was not, I was a talking stone. Who was carried around in a sling like a baby, thanks to one of the female players. Well after a few sessions of play as a rock, the DM made a rumor/quest that 'might change me back'. It took about five sessions to complete this little journey. During the second session we blundered into a battle with a summoner and his lovely group of golems of different elements. After taking down several golems to no avail(they kept coming back lol). As my character would call him 'brutish barbarian filth' decided to take me against my wishes and throw me at the summoner. It was a successful victory and a enjoyable laugh.

I'll get back to you later sycne, it is time for dinner.

Mar 26, 2008
I must admit I have wondered what adult entertainers get up to on their "down time"; playing D&D was not something that sprang to mind. This series is strangely fascinating.

Takes me back to my early high school days, where Shadowrun was king. Unfortunately my party consisted of only nerdy guys and not hot women. How times change.

Phishmanr

Mar 9, 2010
Best episode yet and it's making me want to break out the books and actually start playing again.

r0qu3

Jul 28, 2009
This series is just making me saaad...

...it reminds me of the really good AD&D group i used to play with for years. It was kind of a sunday custom here. Unfortunately time, place, money and jobs forced us to stop playing. And now dust has claimed my books...

Maybe the creators introduce "Skype" NPC's....just gimme a call :)

"I will show you fear in a handful of dust...." T.S.Eliot

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Normally I'd say "subjectivity, each to their own" etc but anyone who doesn't like this series is simply wrong. And Frankie is so cute.

dtthelegend

Oct 19, 2008
It's shit, but not nearly as shitty as the last few episodes.

Don't worry, I'll tell you why.

First , the camera (Although better than previous episodes, it seems like the camera man has
A.D.D.). I'm not saying something static would be better, that would be boring as hell. I would just like possibly more focus on the event (show dice results? movements? - well the map they have?)

Next, Sound. (The sound mixer is still a bit off. I find my ears in pain when they are talking very low and then it's interrupted by some loud music. The music itself is fine. Consider fade ins. that are more subtle.)

Finally,Editing is notably better than the previous episodes ( No random ass cut-offs, yet no long pauses). I see that you guys are finding out that balance which means you're honestly trying. That is good in my book. I didn't think I would say this about this show, but I WOULD watch the next few if it continues to get better.

A few considerations:

An actual board with players peices?
A better backdrop then that one apartment?

Jayvii

Apr 22, 2010
The only thing more epic than watching these girls play something as nerdy (in a good way) as DnD, is the fact that people are actually discussing DnD in the comments. ^^

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
AKmontalvo said:
Cosplay Horatio said:
It was great when Kim rolled that 20 and made an enemy explode to close a door but all of a sudden...double doors. REALLY Zak!? C'mon with that, it was getting good till you threw that curve ball at them.
agreed, not to get all up in his thing but let them have some fun with it
Indeed, should've given them a happier surprise saying there were double doors but the pieces closed them both.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
should've also exploded the guy's brain with gunpowder,that way the force of the blow pushes the doors shut :p

MissLisa

Apr 1, 2010
dtthelegend said:
An actual board with players peices?
A better backdrop then that one apartment?
This is a record of how a real group somewhere actually plays D&D, not a demonstration game at a con. That's the whole point.

Also, it's all the same session, obviously, so you're suggesting they switch apartments in the middle of playing?

This isn't trying to be a Hollywood movie about D&D and failing, it's a record of some interesting people playing D&D and succeeding.

Uri

Feb 17, 2010
Slycne said:
Player assumption vs DM's intent always ends up being a tricky situation to navigate at the table. Although the image of hitting some dude so hard that pieces of him ricochet off the far wall to slam the other door closed is interesting to visualize.
So true.

I like the way these players constantly come up with crazy sh*t just like my own players, except here there is a different dm struggling which makes it fun.

Gina Ex Machina

Apr 22, 2010
misterprickly said:
that rat hole they play in makes me want to bathe in hand sanitizer.
Obsessive compulsive disorder is a disorder, not something to post on random message boards about.

Uri

Feb 17, 2010
Gina Ex Machina said:
misterprickly said:
Obsessive compulsive disorder is a disorder, not something to post on random message boards about.
He, Burn. Place looks fine to me. Maybe slightly too many people/stuff for what looks like a small room.

Plus, I love the TNT comments, kinda expected the Dm to say "well we are fighting mythical Medusa's [small](as a race not a unique monster)[/small] and a Giant Spider Queens so maybe I wanted to make Alfred Nobel a time-travelling science wizard but thanks for ruining that surprise guy with beard!"

Gina Ex Machina

Apr 22, 2010
Uri said:
Gina Ex Machina said:
misterprickly said:
He, Burn. Place looks fine to me. Maybe slightly too many people/stuff for what looks like a small room.
I'm guessing Prickly's never been to Tokyo. Or college.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
WHOA
Mr. Sideburns is my new favorite! I actually kinda chuckled when he came in about the TNT part

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
My new favorite episode! I loved the mounting tension when Satine was making the rolls to rig the explosive, and then how they cheered and the heavy guitars kicked in when she succeeded! \m/ -_- \m/ You know they're having so much fun and the good feelings are infectious.

And KK's thrown axe attack gibbing the dude was awesome as well. "The force of my crit made his body close the door!" LOL

And the camera guy (you'll learn his name is Benny if you read Zak's blog :D) was a fun cameo too. I could see Zak making up a character, like an innkeep or something, based on him.