I just discovered techno music. Please educate me!

JS ibanez

Jan 12, 2010
So I pretty much only listen to Glitch Mob, Prodigy, Daft Punk.

Other than those three I don't listen to it much but I'm liking it more and more. I really like stuff that has a really noticeable riff and encourages energy.

Any song or band suggestions would be great

I'm looking for stuff like this
She-Coloris http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzClkMxdsgI
Also Derezzed from Tron is awesome, and the glitch mob remix of it.

Also, please no dubstep, more often than not I hate that stuff.

El Presidente

Dec 26, 2011
I think you're meaning dancey electronica in general rather than techno, which is a sub-genre. As far as I know Daft Punk are considered to be house and Glitch Mob are, well, Glitch. Don't ask me about the details separating the genres though, I'm far from an expert.

As for recommendations:

Juno Reactor
1200 Milligrams
Infected Mushroom
Dilemn
Professor Kliq
VNV Nation
Burial (I know you said no dubstep but if there's one dubstep artist you'll like, it's Burial)

Also, Enter Shikari are known for having bits of damn near every electronic genre in existence in their music along with metal and post-hardcore elements. They released a new album just a few days ago.

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Could you be more specific? techno is both specific as well as broad when used in this context, techno is a sub genre of electronic music, based on what you like I would say you're into house mostly. can't really help you there since I'm more of a dubstep/ drum and bass guy.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Here's a run down on most of the subgenres of electronic music.

UK Garage is fantastic, but it is swamped with cheesy R&B Garage wannabes like Craig David, so it's hard to get to the good stuff. Future Garage is also very good, and is well worth checking out.

Other than the Prodigy, Big Beat isn't all that great, best to look elsewhere.

House can feel rather sparse and plain to me, but you might get a kick out of it, Check out Deadmau5.

IDM music is only really good if you want to chill out, and not to be fully invested in listening. If that seems you're style, then check out Boards of Canada, and Aphex Twin.

Hardcore is hard to get into, but if you have the taste for hard hitting beats, you will love it.

Despite what you say, Dubstep can be good, if you listen to the originators of the scene (Skream, Burial, Kode 9), and not the daily dose of Brostep on UKF. It's a much different beast altogether, believe you me.

Drum and Bass is an easy genre to get into, but be warned, other than Goldie's Timeless, and a few others such as Pendulum's Hold your Colours, there isn't many noteworthy albums in the genre. it's best to buy compilations if D&B is concerned. The Drum and Bass Anthology is a great place to start, as it has a few selected tracks from each time period.

Now we move on to Downtempo and Trip Hop, which are arguably the best of the lot when it comes to electronic. Great tracks, Very varied, and has a superb selection of albums. Granted Downtempo is a lot easier to get into than Trip hop, so you're mileage may vary, but it's well worth it. Trip hop (a sub genre of Downtempo that orginated in Bristol, England) takes all the best bits of Hip-Hop music, the beats, and the scratching, gives it a Downtempo shine, and makes such great music from it, it is well worth checking out, and is personally one of my favourite genre's (hell I own nearly all the major releases from it).

Also, to help you check out these wonderful genres, look up the wikipedia pages, or go on to Rate your music, a Brilliant site for looking up the best albums for each genre.

I hope i've helped.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
JS ibanez said:
Any song or band suggestions would be great
Gonna do a small spectrum of great electronic music. Techno, electro, glitch, or otherwise. I think that's likely what you're looking for, since the producers/performers you mentioned in the OP are all over the electronic spectrum.

These are some of the producers I enjoy greatly. Since you say you like Glitch Mob, then you're probably not opposed to deep bass, just not filthy dubstep. I can work with that.

By the way, ALL of his music is free, right here, http://prettylightsmusic.com/#/home so you might as well just go get it anyway!

Ok, I'd love to do more, but mining links gets tiresome. Other electronic acts certainly of note, and ones that are quite famous already, include deadmau5, Chemical Brothers, Aphex Twin, Crystal Method, avicii. Some other good acts to maybe look into are Eliot Lipp, Copy, Mux Mool, Big Gigantic, Zedd, 8 Bit Weapon, Tipper, Lotus, STS9, Shpongle, Zedd, Emancipator, Bonobo

uhm...there's so many other good acts out there, I'm sure I could think of a billion more to list, but I'll stop. There's a few things to look into and get you started exploring in a couple different directions, at least!

Also, Jazoni89 has some great genre advice.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Some examples of electronic stuff I love:

Also, a fun place to start is Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music. [http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/] Just browse around and look for sub-genres that appeal to you.

LoFr3Eq

Oct 15, 2008
The best electronic music video...

And props to the people suggesting Infected Mushroom, good stuff.

I'm a big fan of Drum and Bass like Pendulum, Concord Dawn, and Shapeshifter.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
When it comes to Electronic music I enjoy Dubstep, Trance, DnB and most of it really but it's all about hard style, nothing has a bass kick like a good Hardstyle song. That shit just forces you to move you to get on your feet.

Dubstep

Trance

DnB

Hardstyle

Special extra, Dubstyle

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I dont like calling it techno..isnt that obnoxious shit people dance to? as far as i know daft punk are house...and glitch mob are awsome

my favorites

JS ibanez

Jan 12, 2010
okay wow thanks for all the advice guys! So much helpful stuff!

unoleian said:
Gonna do a small spectrum of great electronic music. Techno, electro, glitch, or otherwise. I think that's likely what you're looking for, since the producers/performers you mentioned in the OP are all over the electronic spectrum.

These are some of the producers I enjoy greatly. Since you say you like Glitch Mob, then you're probably not opposed to deep bass, just not filthy dubstep. I can work with that.
Deep bass is cool The intro to Animus Vox by glitch mob is pretty sexy stuff to my ears. I can get some of that bass fix from dubstep sometimes, but more often than not I find that genre turns pretty obnoxious to me

I skimmed through the tracks and artists you linked to me (thanks!), I didn't really give them a fair go since I was sampling, for an example though the riff that starts at 1:22 of finally moving remix by pretty lights really caught my attention.

Jazoni89 said:

I hope i've helped.
Definitely have! Doing my research and you certainly speak the truth. Thanks for the knowledge!

Cowabungaa said:
Also, a fun place to start is Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music. [http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/] Just browse around and look for sub-genres that appeal to you.
This helped me alot, and was really interesting, thanks muchly!

I tend to enjoy things with bass or heavy riffs (for example my preferences in rock include Rammstein and ACDC)

Drumm n bass tends to give me too much to listen to I guess? and it feels to soft to me sometimes, as does trance I find.

I guess what I've learnt is how to better direct my interest in these genres since I'm now getting a sense of what its all called. It was all just "techno" or "electronic" to me.
Thanks for all your time and advice everyone! Its much appreciated

ChaoticKraus

Jul 26, 2010
JS ibanez said:
I tend to enjoy things with bass or heavy riffs (for example my preferences in rock include Rammstein and ACDC)
Oh yeah, i got something for you my friend. That sounds similar to the harder house that's all about building and releasing tension, a genre that's massively popular right now.

That's kind of my favourite out of all the Electronic genres and the kind of music i love to spin whenever i'm DJ'ing. It has an energy that few other things can match.

Dec 14, 2009
I'd recommend Enter Shikari.

They're a post-hardcore band mixed with electonic sounds.

Here are a few pieces of their work.

They have a great sound and like to mix things up, you won't be hearing WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUB for 3 minutes straight.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
Uh, uhhh uggh - it's so cheap-sounding! I would personally give an award to any techno that actually gains my interest.
All you need is some cheap-ass software and away you go, I've even done it myself. It's fun to create but crap to listen to contently.

But since this isn't me we're talking about and the thread exists to solely recommend you some, the closest I could direct you would be to the Gorillaz; but they're more drum-bass. Any more techno-y and it becomes crapper than crap crap.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
@OP

Not wholly accurate, but definitely useful and very funny, please check out

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

ISKURS GUIDE TO ELECTRONIC MUSIC

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
II2 said:
@OP

Not wholly accurate, but definitely useful and very funny, please check out

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

ISKURS GUIDE TO ELECTRONIC MUSIC
Speaking as a electronic fan, it missed most of the great prominent subgenres, and thus not very good.

Vault101 said:
I dont like calling it techno..isnt that obnoxious shit people dance to?
Yeah, unless you like alarm clock sounds in your ear for five minutes, Techno is rubbish. Classing Electronic music as all Techno is just pure and utter ignorance.

JS ibanez said:
okay wow thanks for all the advice guys! So much helpful stuff!

unoleian said:

Deep bass is cool The intro to Animus Vox by glitch mob is pretty sexy stuff to my ears. I can get some of that bass fix from dubstep sometimes, but more often than not I find that genre turns pretty obnoxious to me

I skimmed through the tracks and artists you linked to me (thanks!), I didn't really give them a fair go since I was sampling, for an example though the riff that starts at 1:22 of finally moving remix by pretty lights really caught my attention.

Jazoni89 said:

I hope i've helped.
Definitely have! Doing my research and you certainly speak the truth. Thanks for the knowledge!

Cowabungaa said:
This helped me alot, and was really interesting, thanks muchly!

Drumm n bass tends to give me too much to listen to I guess? and it feels to soft to me sometimes, as does trance I find.

I guess what I've learnt is how to better direct my interest in these genres since I'm now getting a sense of what its all called. It was all just "techno" or "electronic" to me.
Thanks for all your time and advice everyone! Its much appreciated
I think you will like Garage music the most, out of all of the genres I've described. It's sort of a blend of House and Hardstyle Dub.

Here's a classic tune from back in the day.

If you listen very closely, you can hear the soft Dub sound. UK Garage is what Dubstep originated from.

For samples of some great tracks, listen to this and have one serious eargasm.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Check out some Goa. I know it's the hallucinogenic drug swamp of the genre, but the music itself is pretty damn good; it's the kind of music you can rock out and chill to at the same time.