I just played a game that truly got a emotional reaction.

Gunjack65

Jun 8, 2009
I just played a game on Newgrounds.com. No game has ever made me make the choices I did in this game. No game has ever gotten a larger emotional response than this game.
Has anybody ever played One Chance?
I urge everybody to give this game a try, you will not forget it. Come back and tell what you think of it.
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/555181

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Right click, settings, set the slider to zero, play as many times as you want.

It was ok, I got sick of redoing the intro. You'd miss out on a lot if you do it the 'right' way

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
i thought it was boring. dont get me wrong, the concept was good and im not one of those ppl that needs to shoot things every 5 seconds, but the music got on my nerves and i hated that you couldnt skip the intro part. i checked a vid to see the other endings, its kinda depressing.

Gunjack65

Jun 8, 2009
velcrokidneyz said:
i thought it was boring. dont get me wrong, the concept was good and im not one of those ppl that needs to shoot things every 5 seconds, but the music got on my nerves and i hated that you couldnt skip the intro part. i checked a vid to see the other endings, its kinda depressing.
I understand what your saying about it being boring.
A large amount of this game is to decide what you should do after the virus breaks out. Do you work to find a cure or do you spend time with your family? The choice gets harder as the game goes on.

velcrokidneyz

Sep 28, 2010
Gunjack65 said:
velcrokidneyz said:
A large amount of this game is to decide what you should do after the virus breaks out. Do you work to find a cure or do you spend time with your family? The choice gets harder as the game goes on.
I am in no way saying it's bad, it definitely did something right. Definitely try it if you haven't already, but I just got the feeling of an interactive narrative and didn't get much of an emotional response, not to say its bad, maybe its just me. nevertheless it is interesting and should be tried at least once.

EDIT: Here is one example of someones view on it, he played it a cpl times.

Hes hilarious btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsENH4_Ols8&feature=channel_video_title

Gunjack65

Jun 8, 2009
velcrokidneyz said:
Gunjack65 said:
velcrokidneyz said:
I am in no way saying it's bad, it definitely did something right. Definitely try it if you haven't already, but I just got the feeling of an interactive narrative and didn't get much of an emotional response, not to say its bad, maybe its just me. nevertheless it is interesting and should be tried at least once.

EDIT: Here is one example of someones view on it, he played it a cpl times.

Hes hilarious btw.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsENH4_Ols8&feature=channel_video_title
I feel it shows realistic moral ambiguity. Somthing that lots of mainstream RPG neglect. For the fact that I had to spend, like, 5 minutes making my choice somtimes. It got a emotional response from me for that reason. I dont know about anybody else.

Robin Williams

Mar 17, 2011
I liked the game. Simply said. It certainly has it's drawbacks but it's a simple flash game, definitely worth the play.

Gunjack65

Jun 8, 2009
Revrant said:
I got the best ending available, but I don't see the emotional response, you really responded that strongly to this totally detached situation with sprites, text, and some music?
Yeah.
Is that so weird?
Maybe Im just a bit more emotive that most people. I dont bloody know. I cant have been the only person to react emotionly.

balimuzz

Apr 15, 2009
It's definitely a cool concept and while it didn't really draw the emotional response I think you may have gotten, I liked it. I thought about all of the choices less in terms of the actual game, but more just how hard making these sorts of decisions would be in real life. That choice between going to the park with your daughter or going to work on the last day of life tugged at my heart strings quite a bit.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Revrant said:
I got the best ending available, but I don't see the emotional response, you really responded that strongly to this totally detached situation with sprites, text, and some music?
People get emotionally attached to books, and they don't even have the sprites and music.

OT: Its quite good, fucking depressing though. Can't remember what happened with mine, think I went to the park in the end and my daughter died on the swing. Or something.

Lucie

Mar 28, 2011
Reminded me very much of Every Day The Same Dream [http://armorgames.com/play/6244/every-day-the-same-dream], same depressing mood and the same damned feel to it (no matter what you do, it won't change much). Although it certainly was sad, it didn't move me all that much.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
All I'm getting is a black screen with PLAY in white letters. Is this just some sort of "wacky" thing?

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Homefront had an execution scene in the introduction that made my jaw drop. And in Broken Steel, I seriously considered the moral repercussions of selecting the baby versus the slaves. But then again, Fallout is designed to test your morals and see what kind of person you really are.

Not feeling it in One Chance.

columbianbacon

Dec 6, 2009
As has been said before, the concept is nice, and while the pace and music got on my nerves, I felt they were fitting. I get emotional over many things, but it needs to get me connected, I have to like the characters. I guess I should feel sad about what's happening aroud me, or be attracted to that chick, but really, who are they? I can't remember their names, and I just played it now. My suggestion? Set the game up as a research simulator. At the start, YOU are looking for the cancer cure. Give a set amount of time before funding runs out. Don't find it? Blew your chance. Did find it? Deal with the fallout ala One Chance. Maybe more that needs to be written about the game, but that's my thoughts. If I like the characters, I won't be pragmatic about my decisions, more annoyed at the walking speed then thinking about leaving my daughter on a lab floor.

EDIT: For the spellz

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I'm a little with columbianbacon. I played a few days of the game, but honestly couldn't get myself to care, and went to do something else.

When
dies via moon-crater in
, you cry because you have known them the whole game and care about them. If a game is just starting out with horribly depressing vibes, I just get a feeling of "...Already? This is BS." It's honestly about the same as the standard lone-spacemarine scenario in which you have 20 scripted sequences of watching other marines get killed by the alien menace.

A game like Homefront could even manage to accomplish this establishment for a large group in quick ways; for instance, just making the few lines a person has before they're forced to their knees and shot somewhat believable would make you at least a little empathetic.