I just realized I might be kind of creepy

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
7,990
2,364
118
Country
'Merica
Gender
3 children in a trench coat
So I'm taking my car in for some maintenance this week, and in preparation for that I took everything out of my car. As I was taking every object out, one by one, I noticed that if one was to look at them in a certain light they would look rather sinister together. The following is a short list of things I have in my car:

1. Rope, lots of it
2. A knife
3. A first aid kit (slightly bloody)
4. Latex gloves
5. Surgical mask
6. Goggles
7. Booties (the kind you put over your shoes)
8. A protective yellow jumpsuit (waterproof)
9. Garbage bags
10. Bleach
11. Motor oil
12. Box of matches

All of these items have perfectly innocuous uses, but I considered that with all of these things I could theoretically tie someone up, kill them, dispose of the body without leaving trace evidence at the crime scene, then clean the crime scene and burn everything. It was both kind of a funny and kind of a creepy realization to come to.

Have any of my fellow Escapists ever had a moment where you stopped and thought to yourself, "man, if someone who didn't know me saw this they would probably have a lot of unflattering questions." Would you be concerned if someone you knew had the above list of items in their car? Have you ever realized that someone you do might be creepy if seen from an outside perspective?
 

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
5,147
0
0
If in your car had other items as well and you didn't have all the specific items in one spot, I think you are fine.
But I suggest you hide the knife. In Greece the Police can keep you in jail for that if they want.
 

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
7,990
2,364
118
Country
'Merica
Gender
3 children in a trench coat
SweetShark said:
If in your car had other items as well and you didn't have all the specific items in one spot, I think you are fine.
But I suggest you hide the knife. In Greece the Police can keep you in jail for that if they want.
Please, I live in America. I could have a gun in there if I want (though it would have to be out of my reach when driving since I don't have a conceal carry permit, so when I do have one it's stored in a case, in a range bag, and in my trunk).
 

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
2,728
0
0
Dirty Hipsters said:
So I'm taking my car in for some maintenance this week, and in preparation for that I took everything out of my car. As I was taking every object out, one by one, I noticed that if one was to look at them in a certain light they would look rather sinister together. The following is a short list of things I have in my car:

1. Rope, lots of it
2. A knife
3. A first aid kit (slightly bloody)
4. Latex gloves
5. Surgical mask
6. Goggles
7. Booties (the kind you put over your shoes)
8. A protective yellow jumpsuit (waterproof)
9. Garbage bags
10. Bleach
11. Motor oil
12. Box of matches

All of these items have perfectly innocuous uses, but I considered that with all of these things I could theoretically tie someone up, kill them, dispose of the body without leaving trace evidence at the crime scene, then clean the crime scene and burn everything. It was both kind of a funny and kind of a creepy realization to come to.

Have any of my fellow Escapists ever had a moment where you stopped and thought to yourself, "man, if someone who didn't know me saw this they would probably have a lot of unflattering questions." Would you be concerned if someone you knew had the above list of items in their car? Have you ever realized that someone you do might be creepy if seen from an outside perspective?
I will never forget that night after my friends bachelorette party I was pulled over on the way home and had a rum soaked slip n slide, twister covered in whipped cream, wiffle bat, straight jacket, handcuffs, whip, giant tweety bird in the front seat with a thong and ball gag on, shackles hanging from the rearview mirror, and I don't even know what else was in my car.. I was covered from head to toe in buttered rum and whipped cream in a bikini with a light cover up and the officer comes up to my window and just started laughing and said " hold on.. my partner has got to see this to believe it..." Yea Sometimes the contents of your car can be a concern.

Luckily for me they had a sense of humor, and said " I tell you what, my partner was stabbed in his left buttox and needs a good laugh, so if you will accompany us to breakfast, we will provide you a police escort home to ensure your safety." ( I happen to be in front of a breakfast diner at the time they pulled me over). I wasn't actually intoxicated at the time, I may have bathed in alcohol but I hadn't drank much that night and had been hours since I had a drink. Regardless though I had enough on my hair alone to set off a breathalyzer so I took them up on their offer to buy me breakfast.

EDIT: Oh yea and like 6 giant spatulas were in there.. how could I forget the spatulas?! LMAO!
 

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
2,728
0
0
Dirty Hipsters said:
SweetShark said:
If in your car had other items as well and you didn't have all the specific items in one spot, I think you are fine.
But I suggest you hide the knife. In Greece the Police can keep you in jail for that if they want.
Please, I live in America. I could have a gun in there if I want (though it would have to be out of my reach when driving since I don't have a conceal carry permit, so when I do have one it's stored in a case, in a range bag, and in my trunk).
Oh that reminds me of when me and my friend were sitting out in a field drinking wine talking on the tailgate of his truck the week they found a woman chopped up in a trash bag just down the road from there. We saw headlights coming up through the field and we had just been talking about the murder so he grabbed something from under his seat and threw it below the truck. I had no idea what it was until it turned out the headlights were the local sheriff. The sheriff saw him do it and reached down and pulled it up and put his flashlight on it.. It was an actual, heavy, spiked ball and chain mace from Peru. So of course the sheriff has to ask " WTH are you doing with that son?!" and he told him it had been a gift given to him and he was freaked out because of the murder and panicked thinking he was some killer coming to attack us. The sheriff told him to "take that thing home and put it under your bed and never ever ever take it out again." and sent us on our way.. LOL
 

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
5,147
0
0
Dirty Hipsters said:
SweetShark said:
If in your car had other items as well and you didn't have all the specific items in one spot, I think you are fine.
But I suggest you hide the knife. In Greece the Police can keep you in jail for that if they want.
Please, I live in America. I could have a gun in there if I want (though it would have to be out of my reach when driving since I don't have a conceal carry permit, so when I do have one it's stored in a case, in a range bag, and in my trunk).
Yes, the same goes for Greece, but it doesn't mean you can have it freely shown by you if you don't know the people around you.
But I will admit, I hate every single time when someone use a f*cking gun to a wedding or in a celebration.
 

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
3,647
0
0
Dirty Hipsters said:
The following is a short list of things I have in my car:

1. Rope, lots of it
2. A knife
3. A first aid kit (slightly bloody)
4. Latex gloves
5. Surgical mask
6. Goggles
7. Booties (the kind you put over your shoes)
8. A protective yellow jumpsuit (waterproof)
9. Garbage bags
10. Bleach
11. Motor oil
12. Box of matches
1: Not so weird.
2: What kind? If it's like a penknife, okay. If it's a full-on bowie knife, then yeah.
3: If I drove a car, I'd keep a first aid kit. Perhaps not bloody. Replace them everytime they get used to the point where blood might be smeared across it. Probably going to use up all your gauze if you/someone are/is wounded that bad, anyways.
4: I'd normally put those gloves in the first aid kit.
5:Okay, kind of weird.
6: okay ... swimming goggles, or nightvision/thermal? One not so much, the other is getting towards Dexter territory.
7: Wellingtons? Meh...
8: Poncho-esque? Meh ... (kind of)
9: Weird.
10: Really weird.
11: Makes sense?
12: I can see how they'd be useful.... (I am a smoker)

All in all, I give you a completely subjective (and meaningless) 30% weird rating. Modifiable up to 80-90% if you do pack a bowie knife and night/thermalvision goggles.

Also keep in mind that Australia isn't really a big hunter-culture type of place.


---------------

As for me, I keep my receipts over a two month period paperclipped, in my tote bag, or on me in some fashion. I also have a notebook for one of my courses which has nothing but geometric shapes drawn and filled in with pen, loosely corresponding to the lines penned in for margins. I also have a chupachup lollipop with a paper message affixed to the handle reading 'In case you get sad.'

To be fair, that last one was started when I was having a real hard time with family, and coming out and all that. My friend started giving me one everytime I saw her. I now maintain the practice.
 

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
4,931
0
0
I'll be frank, if there's anyone who's car content isn't suspect I'd be surprised.

To be honest, I have more or less the same as what you have in my car, with the exception of the knife which has a crowbar in its place.
 

Fieldy409_v1legacy

New member
Oct 9, 2008
2,686
0
0
Lil devils x said:
First time I read that as 'bachelor' party and assumed you were the stripper, that would have made the bikini and alcohol/food bathing make a little more sense, slightly wild party by the sounds of it. So you just walked into a diner like that with two cops?

My resting neutral face makes me look like a serial killer in photos, my mates tell me as much all the time.
 

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
2,728
0
0
Fieldy409 said:
Lil devils x said:
First time I read that as 'bachelor' party and assumed you were the stripper, that would have made the bikini and alcohol/food bathing make a little more sense, slightly wild party by the sounds of it. So you just walked into a diner like that with two cops?

My resting neutral face makes me look like a serial killer in photos, my mates tell me as much all the time.
No I was not a stripper, it was my friends party. Yes.. I actually did just walk into a diner like that with 2 cops. LOL!

EDIT: The diner was near the lake in summer in Texas, so it wasn't uncommon for people to come in swimwear. The cops being with me would probably be the weirdest part even with me covered in rum. HAHA
 

Frezzato

New member
Oct 17, 2012
2,448
0
0
Dirty Hipsters said:
PaulH said:
...

All in all, I give you a completely subjective (and meaningless) 30% weird rating...
Ooooh *SNAP*!
You only 30 percent weird!
Dirty Hipsters: Before
[img src=http://i.imgur.com/r7qi0lC.jpg]Dirty Hipsters: After

[/spoiler]

.

I keep most of the same stuff in my car as you, Dirty Hipster(s), except I keep QuikClot (25 and 50 gram patches), a SAM Splint, uh...some iodine water treatment tablets and other stuff, like a Fiskars saw, windproof matches and a magnesium firestarter. I don't keep bleach or garbage bags in there though, you weirdo.

Sadly, those shortcomings leave me at 20% weird AT MOST.

.

I am ashamed.
 

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
3,647
0
0
Frezzato said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
PaulH said:
...

All in all, I give you a completely subjective (and meaningless) 30% weird rating...
Ooooh *SNAP*!
You only 30 percent weird!
Dirty Hipsters: Before
[img src=http://i.imgur.com/r7qi0lC.jpg]Dirty Hipsters: After

[/spoiler]

.

I keep most of the same stuff in my car as you, Dirty Hipster(s), except I keep QuikClot (25 and 50 gram patches), a SAM Splint, uh...some iodine water treatment tablets and other stuff, like a Fiskars saw, windproof matches and a magnesium firestarter. I don't keep bleach or garbage bags in there though, you weirdo.

Sadly, those shortcomings leave me at 20% weird AT MOST.

.

I am ashamed.[/quote]

An additional 5% for effort and attendance. I value investment in a goal.
 

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
1,201
0
0
That's nothing..I keep that in my backpack!
Well, not the motor oil but I do believe alco-gel (hand-sanitizer) burn pretty good too.

Other things in my backpack that can be misconstrued;
Binoculars, notepad, different kinds of pencils, camera.
Oooh..add rope and latex gloves (and another ..latex..product..) to that mix...yeeeaah, I think I'm going to jail now...
 

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
7,990
2,364
118
Country
'Merica
Gender
3 children in a trench coat
PaulH said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
The following is a short list of things I have in my car:

1. Rope, lots of it
2. A knife
3. A first aid kit (slightly bloody)
4. Latex gloves
5. Surgical mask
6. Goggles
7. Booties (the kind you put over your shoes)
8. A protective yellow jumpsuit (waterproof)
9. Garbage bags
10. Bleach
11. Motor oil
12. Box of matches
1: Not so weird.
2: What kind? If it's like a penknife, okay. If it's a full-on bowie knife, then yeah.
3: If I drove a car, I'd keep a first aid kit. Perhaps not bloody. Replace them everytime they get used to the point where blood might be smeared across it. Probably going to use up all your gauze if you/someone are/is wounded that bad, anyways.
4: I'd normally put those gloves in the first aid kit.
5:Okay, kind of weird.
6: okay ... swimming goggles, or nightvision/thermal? One not so much, the other is getting towards Dexter territory.
7: Wellingtons? Meh...
8: Poncho-esque? Meh ... (kind of)
9: Weird.
10: Really weird.
11: Makes sense?
12: I can see how they'd be useful.... (I am a smoker)

All in all, I give you a completely subjective (and meaningless) 30% weird rating. Modifiable up to 80-90% if you do pack a bowie knife and night/thermalvision goggles.

Also keep in mind that Australia isn't really a big hunter-culture type of place.


---------------

As for me, I keep my receipts over a two month period paperclipped, in my tote bag, or on me in some fashion. I also have a notebook for one of my courses which has nothing but geometric shapes drawn and filled in with pen, loosely corresponding to the lines penned in for margins. I also have a chupachup lollipop with a paper message affixed to the handle reading 'In case you get sad.'

To be fair, that last one was started when I was having a real hard time with family, and coming out and all that. My friend started giving me one everytime I saw her. I now maintain the practice.
It's not quite a pen knife, but not a bowie either. It's a beefy framelock folding knife with a 4 inch tanto blade. I keep it in my car in case I get into an accident and need to cut my seat belt or break a window to get out of my car.

As for the goggles, no they aren't night vision. They're the kind of goggles you might have for a chemistry class, to stop spatter.

The first aid kit is a little bloody because it's in a nylon bag which I had to get into while bleeding a couple of times, which is why there's blood on it. Still fully stocked (though I might be running low on alcohol wipes).
 

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
12,760
0
0
I don't have a car but I keep weird things in my computer room.

I have:

Goggles
Some bandages
A ton of bandaids
A scalpel
2 Penknives
A cigar
A drawer full of food and snacks "just in case".
A hammer
A make-shift first aid kit
About 5 boxes of matches/lighters
So many tealight candles.

I also have a kukri in my bedroom.
 

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
7,990
2,364
118
Country
'Merica
Gender
3 children in a trench coat
sky14kemea said:
I don't have a car but I keep weird things in my computer room.

I have:

Goggles
Some bandages
A ton of bandaids
A scalpel
2 Penknives
A cigar
A drawer full of food and snacks "just in case".
A hammer
A make-shift first aid kit
About 5 boxes of matches/lighters
So many tealight candles.

I also have a kukri in my bedroom.
Seems like a perfectly ordinary computer room to me. Well, except for the cigar, smoke is terrible for computers.
 

Sleepy Sol

New member
Feb 15, 2011
1,831
0
0
I dunno, a number of those items do seem to have rather identifiable practical uses. I'd much rather have all of them available than have the situation I'm in right now, where my car is usually filled with papers and empty soda bottles/cans because I'm too lazy to get them out of the car, but has nothing that might actually assist or save me in a treacherous situation.

[sub]it's not that bad I swear[/sub]
 

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
5,655
24
13
Only the goggles and the surgical mask would make me a little uneasy. They seem like items I don't think you'd need in case of an extreme emergency.

The rest of the items seem rather normal. It's just funny how items that are completely normal can always become weird or creepy when put together. Like blueberries and whip cream. I once bought just those two items at a store, got a lot of weird looks. What? Grown man can't enjoy some berries with whip cream on 'em?!

 

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
7,990
2,364
118
Country
'Merica
Gender
3 children in a trench coat
Elfgore said:
Only the goggles and the surgical mask would make me a little uneasy. They seem like items I don't think you'd need in case of an extreme emergency.

The rest of the items seem rather normal. It's just funny how items that are completely normal can always become weird or creepy when put together. Like blueberries and whip cream. I once bought just those two items at a store, got a lot of weird looks. What? Grown man can't enjoy some berries with whip cream on 'em?!

Just because I'm buying lube, condoms, a copy of High School Musical, and a large cucumber does not mean those are all things that will be used together. They just happen to all be things I need...

_>

separately.