I just realized, Luffy from One Piece does not have a Rival?

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Another thing I just realized in One Piece is that most of the villains our characters face are complete and utter scum or just straight up assholes that deserves to die.

The 2nd Villain Luffy fought was this Marine Captain with an Axe for a Arm and ruled a port like an absolute dictator and his soon is a weaselly shit who stepped on food of a little girl.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Another thing I just realized in One Piece is that most of the villains our characters face are complete and utter scum or just straight up assholes that deserves to die.

The 2nd Villain Luffy fought was this Marine Captain with an Axe for a Arm and ruled a port like an absolute dictator and his soon is a weaselly shit who stepped on food of a little girl.
His son is reformed though, so there's hope for the dad. Also Crocodile helped a bunch despite being a terrible guy too. And then you have the mad scientist in recent eps too.

Samtemdo8 said:
Natemans said:
I always figured its Blackbeard.

I just had a thought though.

Are they gonna straight up pit Luffy against his own father Monkey D. Dragon straight from Star Wars?

Or Dragon does "care" for his son?
Dragon saved his life from Smoker pretty early on so there's no reason for them to fight at all. Also the revolution is a huge ally.

The short fight with Garp is about as much as you'd get I think.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Dreiko said:
Samtemdo8 said:

His son is reformed though, so there's hope for the dad. Also Crocodile helped a bunch despite being a terrible guy too. And then you have the mad scientist in recent eps too.

Samtemdo8 said:
Natemans said:
I always figured its Blackbeard.

I just had a thought though.

Are they gonna straight up pit Luffy against his own father Monkey D. Dragon straight from Star Wars?

Or Dragon does "care" for his son?
Dragon saved his life from Smoker pretty early on so there's no reason for them to fight at all. Also the revolution is a huge ally.

The short fight with Garp is about as much as you'd get I think.
I just wonder how are they gonna portray this long overdue father/son reunion.

Kitsune Hunter

What a beautiful Duwang!
Dec 18, 2011
Blackbeard is the obvious choice for Luffy's rival, however I feel like there's someone everyone's overlooking, Eustass Kid. If you think about it, Luffy and Kid share a few interesting parallels with each other, both have a crewmember that are also part of the Worst Generation (Zoro and Killer respectively), Kid's more violent then Luffy and has no problem causing civilian casualties which is why, despite Luffy's confrontations with the Marines, the Seven Warlords and the World Government, Kid has a higher bounty than Luffy at the start of the Sabaody arc. Kid's also willing to kill anyone who laughs at his dream to become Pirate King while Luffy when he was being mocked by Bellamy walked away, claiming it wasn't a battle worth fighting. And then there's each other's relations with Shanks, were by, Luffy looks up to Shanks and Shanks even sacrificed his left arm to save Luffy were as Kid doesn't respect him and as we recently found out, Kid lost his left arm during a fight with the Red Hair Pirates, although whether Shanks took Kid's arm himself is still unknown.

Plus, I remember hearing something about Oda's views on the Worst Generation and that he always intended for Kid to be very important to the plot so he could potentially be a rival for Luffy in the race to become Pirate King, but I guess we'll learn more as the Wano arc goes on.

jhoroz

Mar 7, 2012
What Kitsune above said, but no just in regards to Kid, but Supernovas in general. The whole point to the Supernovas is that the Strawhat Pirates aren't the only new generation of pirates that are aiming to discover One Piece, and that there are others just like them sailing, exploring, fighting and making a name for themselves. Kidd and Law specifically are presented as Luffy's biggest competitors from the Supernovas, specifically in the Sabaody Archipelago Arc when they held off the Marines at the slave auction. Law himself always come off as the Vegeta to Luffy's Goku. A short term pragmatic ally, but still a longterm rival and competitor, both aiming to become Pirate King. So Luffy does have rivals-multiple in fact. Pretty much anyone trying to find One Piece really.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
jhoroz said:
What Kitsune above said, but no just in regards to Kid, but Supernovas in general. The whole point to the Supernovas is that the Strawhat Pirates aren't the only new generation of pirates that are aiming to discover One Piece, and that there are others just like them sailing, exploring, fighting and making a name for themselves. Kidd and Law specifically are presented as Luffy's biggest competitors from the Supernovas, specifically in the Sabaody Archipelago Arc when they held off the Marines at the slave auction. Law himself always come off as the Vegeta to Luffy's Goku. A short term pragmatic ally, but still a longterm rival and competitor, both aiming to become Pirate King. So Luffy does have rivals-multiple in fact. Pretty much anyone trying to find One Piece really.

Kid is one thing but I don't really see Law being in the rival spot. He has opened his heart to Luffy too much and is getting dragged along like just another one of the main nakama and is just hesitant in admitting it. He put his life in Luffy's hands too much for any semblance of rivalry to remain. Piccolo is a more apt metaphor where he once was a rival but now is more of a babysitter for Goku unlike Vegeta who kept up with his ambition for way longer.