I Like Sports Games and I'm Wondering If Anyone Else Does To

A3sir

Mar 25, 2010
I love sports games, I just wish EA would release more than just FIFA on PC, been waiting years for Madden and NHL

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I play 2k basketball and Madden with my Hall in college. Not something that I would buy a console for, but sports games are great fun when playing with friends. (Now if only the xbox had a decent baseball game)

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
The only sports game I played all the time and loved was NFL Blitz 2000.

That game was the shit, and it was the only time I could see my Vikings win consistently. >.>

Other than that, not so much. I don't really care for them since I don't really have the patience for them anymore, and they just do nothing for me.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I do not like most sports games at all, but that one Quidditch one for the GBA was alright. That said, it hurts no-one that they're just roster updates because it's really an entirely different market - people aren't going to be taking hints from sports games to reach a wider audience. So you have my permission to buy and play as many as you like.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
When I was younger I didn't care for them but over the past few years I have been getting more into liking sports and sports games. At the moment my most played game on my PS4 is NBA 2K14. I am loving the My Career mode and how it gives a pretty decent story mode. My character is a Shooting Guard for the Phoenix Suns. We won the NBA Title and swept the finals.

I also enjoy the NCAA and Madden games. I pre-ordered MILB: The Show for the PS4 too.

SilverBullets000

Apr 11, 2012
Other people do. Not me particularly though, sorry to say.

Well, that's not technically true. I don't like actual sports so of course I steer clear of the realistic ones, but I tend to gravitate toward the ones with more fantastic elements. Those elements are the reason why I was able to play through Mario Power Tennis on gamecube back in the day despite not really knowing much about the sport beforehand other than "hit ball over net"[footnote]Well, I played Mario Tennis on the N64 first, but that game was actually bland even when compared to other Tennis games. [/footnote]. There's also creativity put into the courts that's usually absent from the games that go for the realistic aesthetic. I honestly don't understand why Nintendo are the only ones that's done that (minus Bloodbowl's devs, which I should really try one day) because there's so much insane potential there.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I like NHL . The game tends to undergo a fair amount of change year to year beyond team and roster updates though the changes aren't always desirable, so there is the fresh learning curve each time and the past few years has seen greater improvements on the online play each year which is something.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
I enjoy playing Football Manager [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/FootballManag] very much.
There is something immensely satisfying about leading a team to glory and riches.

I don't buy the new one every year though, every 2 years is enough.

I also like to play some FIFA with my friends.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
I love playing soccer. Can never pick between PES and FIFA, they're both great games.
Other than that I love my occasional NBA, NHL, MMA and Fight night as well. If a game is good, it's good. I just avoid buying them every year.

balladbird said:
Heck, Fight Night: Champion even had a story mode in addition to career and arcade modes. Granted, it was a story that ticked off every cliche in the book, but I prefer to bless what's there rather than curse what's not.
Me too! I love the story mode, it'd be better if only they let us use our own boxer as the main character.

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
I love MLB the Show. Way more than CoD actually. I self insert and rise up from the minors and try to make it to "the big show". It's one of the few games I love to self insert with.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I like some of them for all the wrong reasons. Find the most broken ones & watch all the glorious body twisting glitches, maybe use a little Vinesauce Corrupter. FIFA, Skate, & various wrestling games tend to have the highest amount of body horror comedy. I also get a kick out of Trials Evolution & GTA race maps, especially when everyone is goofing off & trying to sabotage eachother.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
FIFA
Not really anything else, I played TigerWoods games maybe around 2006 and enjoyed them but then they dropped of for some reason.
FIFA I play regularly with friends.
Sometimes NHL if someone challenges me, but not anything else really.

Willstown

Borderline Crazy Cat Man
Nov 20, 2013
I like sports games, it's a perfect genre for a quick 15 minute blast. You can get a full experience in a single quick match without commiting a few hours to get a decent experience out of the game.

But, I also enjoy watching sports so that has to help as well.

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
I picked up the most recent FIFA game at xmas.First time I've bought a FIFA game in years tbh and it's good fun.I'm just absolutely terrible at it though

The only sports game I play/buy regularly is Football Manager

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Sure, FIFA, Tiger Woods Golf and Fight Night Champion are pretty much all I play with my man-chums. That or I watch them play CoD, because I suck at shooters, especially when using a controller.

Not a huge fan of playing them by myself, but I can certainly see the appeal. Some people like sports. And some of those people also like video games. And sports video games are, well, a natural Venn diagram.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Nothing against them but I rarely play them. Sports racing games can be fun. I don't own any but I have a friend who dose.
My embarrassing "causal scum" gaming likes are rhythm and dance games.

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
Lets see, I love Ice Hockey, and the NHL games tend to be pretty good - The mechanics and controls of recent NHL games are actually pretty damned good.

I dislike Association Football, however my "bros" (hate that terminology, but the lads I play FIFA with pretty much fit it) and I are pretty into gathering round and playing FIFA against one another, and I enjoy the Championship/Football Manager games as I enjoy the stats, formations, tactics, etc. etc. side of it all.

I also have been known to invest in Rugby Union and League Games - Rugby League Live and Live 2 are pretty poor, but I feel that I need to buy them in order to encourage the eventual creation of a decent Rugby League game. So far the only decent Rugby Union game I've played was Jonah Lomu Rugby way back on the PS1 - I'm less bothered about getting a good Union game as I prefer League (and I think a well done League game will make for a better video game), but it'd be nice to see eventually.

I don't buy every single iteration of these games (indeed I don't buy FIFA at all - I play friends copies). With NHL I buy once every 4-5 years or so, and Football/Championship manager whenever the gameplay actually gets updated significantly (Though lets be honest, Champ Manager 97/98 has never been topped)

KingWein22

Jun 4, 2010
I'm a hockey fan so I play the NHL games from time to time. I even do the Create-A-Player so I can play for the Red Wings.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Racing games count as sports games, right? Because those are the only kinds of sports games I play nowadays. Wipeout, Blur, Need for Speed, GRiD, F-Zero, that kind of thing. I practically grew up with the ATV Offroad Fury games

In a sense, traditional sports games like Madden and NFL aren't terribly different from the formula of fighting game franchises in that every year or so they release yet another entry in the franchise that is basically the exact same game as the last one sans a roster upgrade and some minor game engine improvements.