I Like to Eat Fresh Baby Flesh

legion431

Mar 14, 2010
Until we develop the technology to house the size of such a game we're stuck with blu ray at most, so we can't change it.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
Me too!

Er, I don't think we really could. Theres not really many ways we can improve discs over from bluray, unless all our computers are upgraded to quantum computers.

In short, I don't really think we can. Could be wrong, though.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Damn, I tought this was about the Troll hero from warcraft III or something!
I am very very troubled.
Sorry I can't help you on this one because I know nothing about making games, I hope someone can help you in some way thou.
Good luck!

Plazmatic

May 4, 2009
iamthe1 said:
But not really. In reality, I am troubled: I am at best a fledgling computer programmer, but I am curious as to why some (most vociferously Yahtzee) have issues with how RPGs--specifically the Mass Effect series--carry out the promise to have character decisions affect the game. How do we avoid combinatorial explosion in these situations, but still satisfy this need? Most RPGs choose small-scale repercussions that change how we view the game world, without really changing the pre-scripted story. How can player choices either have a genuine, non-scripted effect, or have a scripted outcome for each choice?

I'm genuinely confused. I don't want a 256-disc game, but I would like to figure out how to make RPGs do what I and so many others want them to do, if it's possible.

Thoughts?
lol what? you want to make something that allows the player to make decisions that effect the story in a non scripted way? you mean in a procedurally generated way? as in you don't actually code any quests/outcomes yourself? that requires a lot of algorithm, and semi sentient computing. IE not possible for people of the adv level in computer programming let alone YOU.

If this is not what you're asking you probably should explained it better. You word things very poorly, I suspect you're a level one troll as well, but also this part makes absolutely no sense, its a complete contradiction.

"How can player choices either have a genuine, non-scripted effect, or have a scripted outcome for each choice?"

so you say your a novice computer programmer right? well that statement was like saying

if(true || false)
answer my question

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Honestly, until we can make non-scripted interactions with NPC, for example, we can't really have these kinds of major repercussions be non-scripted. Actually, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was good at this though. Any character (besides 1) could be killed. Anyone could die, and not give you something plot relevant, or someone could die within the first 5 minutes that makes you unable to get the best ending, and so on. There were so many possibilities, no two games were alike.

Exia91

Jul 7, 2010
EDIT (previous answer was supposed for another topic.)

I love the title, attracted me to the thread.
Sadly, it was not about what I thought it would be about. No, I do not mean real baby flesh.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
iamthe1 said:
Goddammit! And here I was thinking this would be a thread about consuming veal or lamb or whole fresh from the womb suckling pig! I am so bummed now...

To answer your question though, I think people need to stop thinking of these games as Role Playing Games and view them simply as really good games that allow for character emersion on multiple levels. No computer game or internet game is going to be truly an RPG, because all computer games are going to require boundaries within their programming. These boundaries encompass everything from main storyline, side happenings and how the PCs and NPCs act and react to what's happening around them, which in my mind make things too restrictive for true role play gaming.

In a table top RPG these things are controled by three things. The game mechanics; The adherance of the games master to those mechanics as well as the games masters own evil genius; And finally the ability of the players themselves to imagine themselves in the setting they're in. Because of these variables no two games are alike. Every campaign is different and can range from bland and boring to freakin' epic all within the same brand of game. Computer games simply cannot compete at that level. The amount of variables would ultimately make the game unwieldy to play.

Ultimately Computer games also have to meet a level of consistancy. Companies are going to make sure that their consumers are going to all of them recieve the same product. People are going to have different opinions and even different styles of playing this product, however peoples opinions are there own and playing styles will be restricted to how the coders made their game.

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
Dwarfman said:
No computer game or internet game is going to be truly an RPG...
See, I disagree, current hardware limitations make it impossible, but maybe in 5 to 10 years we'll see more games with more 'Total world' RPG styles, when the hardware and, more importantly, the investers see the profit in it.

Although they'll probably be 100 dollars/pounds US/UK (Or for Yahtzee, 300) and take more than a weekend to play through. And probably piss more than acouple people off when they act like complete wankers and when every NPC that hears about them murdering babies for 1 exp, then eating them, gangs up and completely ruins their shit.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
FarleShadow said:
Dwarfman said:
No computer game or internet game is going to be truly an RPG...
See, I disagree, current hardware limitations make it impossible, but maybe in 5 to 10 years we'll see more games with more 'Total world' RPG styles, when the hardware and, more importantly, the investers see the profit in it.

Although they'll probably be 100 dollars/pounds US/UK (Or for Yahtzee, 300) and take more than a weekend to play through. And probably piss more than acouple people off when they act like complete wankers and when every NPC that hears about them murdering babies for 1 exp, then eating them, gangs up and completely ruins their shit.
Possibly. But it would only work on the internet and from what I've seen of most internet RPGs they seem to mainly involve going out and harvesting x amount of blahs for someguy and y amount of grumph for another.

Now in a table top RPG my character would take these mediocre quests and turn them into lucrative busness opportunities, hiring patsies - er I mean followers - to do the hard work for a selective percentage of the profits all the while maintaining and air of competition between someguy and another. In the mean time I've already sacked and burned several of my own wagons - and any competing merchants to boot - to ensure both a high stable price within the realms and to ensure that someguy and another pay my mercenaries a generous some to watch over and regulate the distribution of the product.