I liked the ending to Mass Effect 3

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
This thread is not original or creative but I want people to know.

I liked the ending to Mass Effect 3.

Sure, the decisions in the 3 games meant more or less nothing where the ending is concerned but I liked the ending ITSELF. I chose the "paragon" ending and I think it really suited my Shepard well. It was a nice ending in my opinion.

Also, I think the hatred for Mass Effect 3 has gone too far, many are just jumping on the hatin' band wagon. When I was playing the last 20 minutes or so, I could see why some might be angry but not too the extent it has reached.

So, to add a bit of discussion value to this, who else liked the ending? All I've seen (on the Escapist anyway) is pure hatred but there must be someone else who liked it, right? RIGHT?

EDIT: Before another person points it out, yes I would say the control ending is the "paragon" ending. I did however but "paragon" in inverted commas, but it's the closest out of all the endings. Plus, it has kind of a blue thing going on in that ending right? And the one with a red theme going on is where you kill all the reapers, undoubtedly the most renegade of the endings.

EDIT: Another thing, my brother got the perfect renegade ending and even though they are quite similar, I think that one is a good ending as well. If mass effect only had one ending I think the renegade one would do nicely, what with the hinting of Shepard still being alive at the end. I think there are slight continuity errors (why is my team on the Normandy?) but I think the perfect renegade ending where everyone including Shepard lives (except all synthetics of course) is a satisfying ending to the series. I would've, however, liked maybe a cut scene to explain the impact of my decisions and maybe individual cut scenes for crew members, but all in all I liked it.

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009

Actually, I didn't find the ending that bad. It was more of a "Well, that happened," reaction for me rather than incandescent rage. I expected how ready you were having a far greater impact on how the ending turned out, but that's about my biggest complaint. The whole segment with Anderson and the Illusive Man was excellent, in my opinion.

Also, inb4 Zeel.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
I am sorry i can understand how the overtone of the games end is nice and kind of inspired and the fact it is not happy does not bother me in the slightest but I just see it as unforgivable. It is not a failure on just one level it is a fail on every level I can think of just being honest.

The biggest slap in the face is that if the ending was to happen 4 hours in to mass effect 1 it would be just as effective as it is where is placed in perhaps over 100 hours of play time between the trilogy. The end is not the bad thing it is the fact that it changes into something totally different and even generic at the very last second is what is offensive... i love the series and defiantly can forgive Biowhare but i am sorry fuck that ending,oh and no I do not mean endings I mean ending there is only one not 3 or 6 or 16 or 9000 just 1 and that is largely a part of the problem.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
I loved it as well, so you won't get any hate from me, but honestly I don't really see any reason for this thread. There are plenty of threads to go around already, where you can state your opinion and make it heard. I know there are a few people on here who share our opinion on the ending, but to be honest, I'm not really posting any of the big threads anymore, because I feel I've tried my best, to make my view of the ending understood. I can see where people are coming from, even if I don't agree with them, but I do think some have blown it way out of proportion, I just don't really feel like there's any point in trying to convince people of something, especially on the internet, as it's not going to change anyone's opinion(it seems). Also, I'm busy playing through the entire series, this time as a renegade(just got to ME3). Loving every bit of it, just as I did the first time.

I'm not opposed to Bioware releasing some DLC that might explain things a bit better(not that I think it's needed), since it's what people are craving. I would be sad though, if they decide to completely change the ending.

Anyway, short answer. I loved it, thought it was the perfect ending to the series and to Shepard, may she rest in peace.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
The only way I found myself to be content with the ending is if it based on the indoctrination theory that's floating around.

And even then, the disputed 'canon' ending to the series has Shepard still buried under rubble in London so yeah, no resolution to the Reaper threat

TheCaptain

A Guy In A Hat
Feb 7, 2012
With me, it's more disappointment than anger. I admit a good helping of kinda fanboyish tendencies there, but the games themselves got me so excited that the ending just felt like a huge downer. And while I didn't like the ending - the way the whole tone of the story just turned into something completely different - I could've lived with it if it was better executed. More personalized. Like, for example:

Shepard being less accepting of the choices presented to him, trying to outsmrt the catalyst or at least try and find a workaround. Probably a little sadistic choice, like taking the time for getting a warning out of the fleet (at the cost of a larger part of the fleet); calling up Joker and either ordering him to get the Normandy out of there or calling him for a pickup.

And having your choices reflected in the ending sequence, like:

Showing the people you were closest to in the flashbacks, like probably the Virmire victim, the love interests and so on. Showing the people of earth starting to rebuild, probably a military service among the ruins for Anderson (and Shepard, if he died); if the better part of the Crucible team survived, you could show them starting to gather the debris and working on rebuilding the relays (which has been talked about since ME1, if I recall correct). If Sword didn't take too many casualties, you could - depending on your choices over the game - show the Geth helping to rebuild, the Quarians sharing rations with the Turians and helping convert military vessels into liveships to help the other races survive being stranded in the Sol system.
Even if the ending would remain exactly the same, I wouldn't have been nearly as disappointed that by bringing all those different people together, you helped them achieve a level of cooperation that allowed them to defeat the mess they ended up in.

-EDIT-

That said, if you liked the ending as it was, don't let us keep you from enjoying it. You probably have the best Mass Effect experience of all of us, that's something.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
JackandTom said:

Sure, the decisions in the 3 games meant more or less nothing where the ending is concerned but I liked the ending ITSELF. I chose the "paragon" ending and I think it really suited my Shepard well. It was a nice ending in my opinion.

Also, I think the hatred for Mass Effect 3 has gone too far, many are just jumping on the hatin' band wagon. When I was playing the last 20 minutes or so, I could see why some might be angry but not too the extent it has reached.

So, to add a bit of discussion value to this, who else liked the ending? All I've seen (on the Escapist anyway) is pure hatred but there must be someone else who liked it, right? RIGHT?
What was the paragon ending? Control? Definitely didn't seem the Paragon one, I thought destroy was the right option personally. Controlling the Reapers against their free will is something a paragon Shepard would definitely not do, in fact he's just agreeing with TIM so is a very renegade type character.

Anyway I've spoken to one person who likes it. That's it. He didn't say why.

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
endtherapture said:
JackandTom said:

What was the paragon ending? Control? Definitely didn't seem the Paragon one, I thought destroy was the right option personally. Controlling the Reapers against their free will is something a paragon Shepard would definitely not do, in fact he's just agreeing with TIM so is a very renegade type character.

I assumed the Control option was the paragon option because it had a blue light around the machine you have to walk up to and the whole ending cut scene had a blue vibe going as opposed to the red one that the Destroy choice had. I also thought it was paragon because it was on the players left, the same as the paragon trigger (LT). I agree with the fact that it didn't seem very paragon when you saw that it was what the illusive man wanted, but I guess this is just another reason that the majority of people don't like the ending.

Riki Darnell

Dec 23, 2011
I just beat it and I loved the ending. (i picked the middle one) For me it felt like the perfect way to end the game.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
Sure, I suppose somebody could like the end if they had no emotional attachment to any of the characters (squad mates) nor had any taste in good story telling.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
How?

Just... how?

You liked the glowing space child? You liked the killing-organics-to-prevent-them-being-killed explanation? You liked the vague and unjustified explanations of your final choices? You liked the near-identical endings regardless of choice? You liked the complete lack of closure regarding the characters and races?

How does one come to like these things?

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I'll agree it definitely has reached a point of being completely ridiculous with the hatred but I still didn't like it.
I'm not even a fan of the Mass Effect games in general and I thought the ending was shite.

It just completely made every decision up to that point entirely void with no resolution as to what happened.
It was as if they ended Return of the Jedi with the Emperor shocking Luke to death, then the credits roll. No closure to anyone else. No mention of what happened after.
Just credits.

But even worse since the game has been built upon the idea of choice and that we would get endings based on all the choices made throughout the series.
Instead, we get an ending that is exactly the same no matter what your final decision.

And it was only made worse with that completely inept post credits scene.

A bedtime story? That's really it, Bioware? That's what you give us?
The entire plot was a goddamn children's fable???

I will say that I do like the indoctrination theory though as... well that's kinda what I thought was going on anyway...

... what with no one else acknowledging the child Shepard kept seeing and the final level having only to do with Shepard for the most part. And the Illusive Man's attempts to promise him power. No one ever made direct mention of anyone else.
Being someone who typically reads too much into things, I took that as Shepard being controlled by the Reapers and suffering hallucinations as a result.

Still doesn't make the main ending of him being dead with no resolution any better though.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Montezuma said:
inb4 everyone telling you that you misinterpreted your own opinion.
LOL

Well that puts you in the 1% of people who actually like it.
But like the second post says, you'll need a flame shield.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
While I didn't like the ending, at all, I think at this point any ill-feeling I have towards it has been outstripped by my ill felling towards all the bitching, flaming, and hyperbole that has spawned from it.

Not to say that the points being made don't have a valid basis, but this is fast becoming a textbook example of everything that is wrong with gaming/internet/nerd culture. Everything that could have been said once has been said a million times, boiled down into already-tired meme's, and used by most for nothing constructive, because apparently we are not capable of acting like adults when things go wrong for us.

and then we wonder why we're not taken seriously?

Savagezion

Mar 28, 2010
endtherapture said:
They never do. There are many people out there that simply don't know or care about even the simplest things about writing and are easily pleased as a result.

Example:
One user picked "The middle one" they must have been truly engaged. The OP picked "the Paragon one". (Assumed based on color and not based on the events in the story.)

At least Melon Hunter let us know he/she likes the conversation scene with TIM and Anderson. That's more than most give.