I live in Japan. Ask me stuff!

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
FireAza said:
3 more quick questions if you please.

1. How difficult is it to get your hands on lactose dairy products? The lactose free somehow feels and tastes wrong to me.

2. How much do whole chickens, brown rice/noodles, and fresh veggies usually cost? I want to compare the price of two weeks of groceries.

3. I heard weight gyms are extremely expensive and very exclusive over there. Do you know if this is still the case?

Thanx!

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Barbas said:
I understand that property prices are high, at least in Tokyo. How are prices for the essentials like food and clothing where you live?

EDIT: Also, how much would it cost you to buy a completely new, custom-built gaming computer?
Cheap! Well, cheap for Australia anyway, which is among one of the most expensive countries to live in. Meat is more expensive though for some reason, chicken is much cheaper than Australia. Fruit and veg is also a bit more expensive. As I understand it, most things are cheap in the U.S, so Japan probably seems more expensive by comparison.
Saulkar said:
FireAza said:
3 more quick questions if you please.

1. How difficult is it to get your hands on lactose dairy products? The lactose free somehow feels and tastes wrong to me.

2. How much do whole chickens, brown rice/noodles, and fresh veggies usually cost? I want to compare the price of two weeks of groceries.

3. I heard weight gyms are extremely expensive and very exclusive over there. Do you know if this is still the case?

Thanx!
1) I have no idea, since I'm not a dairy connoisseur and I'm not sure what "lactose" is in Japanese. I do know that the vast majority of Japanese people are lactose-intolerant, so I wouldn't be surprised if all dairy was lactose-free by default. It all tastes the same to me!

2) I haven't seen any whole chickens (probably due to the rarity of ovens), but you can get lots of cuts. Good cuts too, for some reason breast fillet is cheaper than thigh. When you say "noodles" what kind do you mean? This is Japan, you need to be more specific! Soba? Udon? Raman? Instant ramen? Here's a break-down though:
Chicken (breast fillet) - ¥65 per 100g
Rice (white, since brown seems to be pretty rare) - ¥560 for 2kg bag
Soba noodles (8 serve pack) - ¥200
Cabbage (half) - ¥189
Mushrooms (1 bunch) - ¥98
Onions (3x) - ¥109
Negi (1x) - ¥109
Potatoes (3x) - ¥95

3) Hmmmm, I don't go to the gym, so I'm not entirely sure. I haven't seen as many gyms around as I did in Australia and since being "ripped" doesn't seem to be very popular for guys, there's probably not a whole lot of demand. Lack of demand would push the price up. Most sports centers have gym-type equipment though, so I'd say going to a sports center would be your best bet.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
"Grey market loans"? Like, loan sharks? I wouldn't really say this is a prominent theme in anime, save for the old "borrowed a lot of money from the yakuza" thing. Can't really say I've seen it to be a problem here, so this might just be pure fantasy. Unless you're talking about the "ore ore" scam, these are pretty prevalent.