I live in Japan. Ask me stuff!

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
I've been living in Japan for over a year now and since people who like video games often have an affinity for Japan (especially if they grew up on Nintendo *raises hand*) I though I'd start a post were curious people can ask questions about Japan. Life in Japan, culture, misconceptions, that kind of thing.

The idea came when I saw someone on YouTube saying they heard Japan was really racist and if this was true. After retrieving my eyebrow from the troposphere (where it had risen to upon reading the post) I replied that worst you get is people assuming that you're American because you're white.

Which is a fair enough assumption, American culture dominates the international market and a lot of the white people in Japan are American. Combine that with Japanese people having no idea that not everyone who looks a certain way is from the same country (98.5% of people in Japan are ethnically Japanese) and you can understand why they might make this mistake.

Got any burning questions? Ask away!

*EDIT* If you've got multiple questions, could you please ask them in a 1), 2), 3) etc style of format? This will save me from having to multi-quote your post. Thanks!

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Japanese women. They're hot for American men, aren't they?

(This question is probably asked every time about a foreign country, figured I'd get it out of the way.)

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Yes and no. If you're a fat ugly nerd back home, you're still a fat ugly nerd in Japan. But yes, being white does makes you "exotic" and this might be more appealing depending on the person (maybe they think foreigners are scary?). So if you were pretty okay-looking back home, you've risen a few ranks when you come to Japan.

Unless you're talking about sex? The Japanese are a pretty sex-less society, so if you mean "do Japanese woman drop their pantsu because you're white?" then the answer is no. Sure, some of the bimbo "garu" types who have a thing for white guys would be into that, but don't be thinking Japanese women are "easy". I think a lot of people confuse Japanese women with the "me love you long time" stereotype that's actually associated with the Vietnam war era prostitute, not Japan.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I'd like to know how much like cell phone service and internet service cost in Japan (other developed countries as well) and the speed/quality of said services. I feel here in the US we have not only shitty infrastructure, but services that are inferior and overpriced. I pay over $30 for a 3mpbs internet connection and pay $35 for 4G cell phone service with 1GB of LTE data a month.

I get the impression that Japan, at least in cities, is very compact. Do you even need a car to get around? Is everything relatively close?

How much does the average person work per week? I get the impression (from movies, anime, etc.) that Japan is very work/school focused and people would be always working/studying. But I think I looked up the average workweek in Japan and other countries once and if I recall correctly that Japan's work hours were just about the same as the US if not lower.

Last question, my old manager said that for Christmas Japanese people go to KFC for cake because they think that's what we do? That seemed so random that there might be some truth to it.

Lastly, I love Shiina Ringo and I need to go to Japan just to see a concert of hers at some point. I'm not at all into Japanese or Asian music as I'm really a classic rock guy but there's something about her music that I absolutely love and her band, Tokyo Jihen, basically did something I didn't think was possible, they sorta modernized classic rock; great bass lines (something missing from modern rock) and a dedicated keyboard player (again, missing from modern rock), and the songs were compact but with all the characteristics of classic rock.

EDIT:
Oh, and I also get the sense that most Japanese know english just based off Japanese media like movies/music like characters wearing shirts with english on them and music with a good amount of english words interspersed. I kinda having a running gag with friend whenever a character in a Japanese movie or whatever speaks in english that the Japanese just speak Japanese to spite us and they all know english.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
I've been informed by multiple sources (one of which is my father who had quite a few choice words to say on the matter after he came back) that Japanese companies have a massive problem in regards to using physical documents and the storage of said documents, with a strong resistance to digitize as most Western companies have. Is there any truth to this?

Also, is Japan as isolationist as it's made out to be (uninterested in learning about or dealing with the outside world)?

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
What are your circumstances for living there? I know a number of people who have gone over there to teach through certain Japanese goverment programs who are having/had a great time over there; is that what you're doing as well?

And how often do you interact with peers or coworkers or whatever in that case?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
What is the weirdest thing you've seen in a vending machine? ... Other than soiled panties.

Also, what (if any) themed cafes have you visited? Do you have a preference?

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Really simply question; how often do you come across Asian giant hornets?

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Phoenixmgs said:
I'd like to know how much like cell phone service and internet service cost in Japan (other developed countries as well) and the speed/quality of said services. I feel here in the US we have not only shitty infrastructure, but services that are inferior and overpriced. I pay over $30 for a 3mpbs internet connection and pay $35 for 4G cell phone service with 1GB of LTE data a month.
I come from Australia. Not only is the infrastructure significantly better, but cheaper too! I'm on 1000mbps fiber optic (*rubs nipples*) which was just introduced July last year. The catch is, I'm on a mansion plan, which means I'm sharing my connection with the six or so other apartments in my building. Still bloody fast, I can easily download full sized Steam games in a few minutes. Oh, and the data is unlimited by default.

Cost-wise, you pay both the internet company and the line company separately. All up, it's about ¥7000 a month.

Phoenixmgs said:
I get the impression that Japan, at least in cities, is very compact. Do you even need a car to get around? Is everything relatively close?
Japan has some of the best train networks in the world. Bar none. It's fast, efficient, cheap, rarely ever late and covers pretty much every corner of the country. So yeah, you don't need a car! And if there's something you need, there's probably a convenience store nearby and they don't charge through the ass like in other countries.

Phoenixmgs said:
How much does the average person work per week? I get the impression (from movies, anime, etc.) that Japan is very work/school focused and people would be always working/studying. But I think I looked up the average workweek in Japan and other countries once and if I recall correctly that Japan's work hours were just about the same as the US if not lower.
Japanese people work A LOT. It's pretty common for office workers to get home well after 7:00 PM. Yes, statistically Japan does work less (we actually have a pretty large amount of public holidays) but there's a lot of shady off-the-books overtime that goes on. Japan's culture places emphasis on hard work, so most workers don't want to leave before everyone else. It's actually customary to apologize for leaving before everyone else, even if that's when you're scheduled to.

Phoenixmgs said:
Last question, my old manager said that for Christmas Japanese people go to KFC for cake because they think that's what we do? That seemed so random that there might be some truth to it.
You've gotten your wires a bit crossed! Two big things in Japan at Christmas time are Christmas cake and yes, KFC. I don't recall KFC being the number one place to get Christmas cake (they probably have it though), most people normally go to a bakery. Japanese people do this because it has become a fun tradition, not because Americans do it. Originally, the KFC Christmas thing was started as a way for Americans living in Japan to simulate a traditional Christmas dinner. Then the natives got in on it, and it's all downhill from there. I'm not sure where the Christmas cake tradition comes from, but it's probably the result of shrewd marketing.

Phoenixmgs said:
Oh, and I also get the sense that most Japanese know english just based off Japanese media like movies/music like characters wearing shirts with english on them and music with a good amount of english words interspersed. I kinda having a running gag with friend whenever a character in a Japanese movie or whatever speaks in english that the Japanese just speak Japanese to spite us and they all know english.
All Japanese students study English in junior high and high school. In fact, last year, they started teaching young elementary students in an effort to make Japan's English ability suck less in preparation for the Tokyo Olympics. The problem is Japan's teaching system is so dull and archaic that a lot of students don't like learning English. And a lot of them lack confidence too. This is where starting at a younger age comes in. When they're young, we can teach through games and make English fun and interesting. And they have more time to soak it up, instead of hitting junior high and suddenly having to do high-level language education. I've personally seen elementary students who are a little timid about speaking English at the beginning of class, go to putting their hand up to do their self introduction for the 5th time.

President Bagel said:
How does the milk and beef taste to you?
I'm not a big fan of milk, but it tastes slightly different to me. I think they remove the lactose since most Japanese people are lactose-intolerant. Beef tastes about the same to me, but that's probably because a lot of it is imported from my home country of Australia. Japanese businesses will often boast if they use "Aussie Beef" actually.

Zontar said:
I've been informed by multiple sources (one of which is my father who had quite a few choice words to say on the matter after he came back) that Japanese companies have a massive problem in regards to using physical documents and the storage of said documents, with a strong resistance to digitize as most Western companies have. Is there any truth to this?
Oh sweet tap-dancing Jesus Christ is this is true. Let me blow you mind: in Japan, you can still buy brand-new fax machines! Yes, EVERYTHING gets printed out in Japan. When I want to edit something, I open the document up in Word and edit it. A Japanese person will make corrections in pen on the print-out THEN input the corrections into Word.

Zontar said:
Also, is Japan as isolationist as it's made out to be (uninterested in learning about or dealing with the outside world)?
Japan likes the outside world, they think meeting a foreigner is exciting and they like lots of foreign movies and games. But they don't do much travel outside of Japan and there's very few foreigners in the country, so Japan does have a bit of an introverted personality. Though not near as bad as it was during the period of isolation from 1633 :p

Solaire of Astora said:
What are your circumstances for living there? I know a number of people who have gone over there to teach through certain Japanese goverment programs who are having/had a great time over there; is that what you're doing as well?

And how often do you interact with peers or coworkers or whatever in that case?
I'm here on the JET program. I definitely recommend it, they get you all setup and it's got the safety and stability that comes with it being a government program. I often only interact with the JTEs (Japanese Teacher of English) due to my lack of decent Japanese speaking ability and the other staff lack of knowledge/confidence with English. I'm sure they would be happy to talk if I could properly hold a conversation!

madwarper said:
What is the weirdest thing you've seen in a vending machine? ... Other than soiled panties.
Sorry to disappoint you, but the vast majority of vending machines in Japan sell drinks. Plus a few things like disposable umbrellas, batteries and hot food. Wacky things like used panties were more than likely only available in a tiny number of machines for a limited period before someone was arrested.

Ah, but the drinks themselves can be pretty odd! I've had everything from jelly soda (does what it says on the tin, it's soda with chunks of jelly), avocado flavor and corn soup. The machines are also capable of selling both hot and cold drinks, depending on the season, which is pretty cool I think.

madwarper said:
Also, what (if any) themed cafes have you visited? Do you have a preference?
I haven't been to any themed cafes, no matter how many girls dressed as maids might want to hand me a flyer. Personally, I find the concept to be a little creepy and uncomfortable. I've also heard everything is ridiculously expensive. There's other types of themed cafes of course. The other ALTs like a nearby owl cafe, I'll have to go there sometime even though I have no idea what makes a nocturnal hunter "cute".

mad825 said:
Never seen any personally, but I have noticed there's a can of hornet spray on a shelf at work. And one of the features the can trumpets is it's 5m range. I'm kinda terrified.

OrijinalDreamin

Nov 15, 2014
Hi, due to work I'm about to move to Yokosuka, are you familiar with the area, and if so, how does it compare to other regions (Tokyo, Osaka, etc.)? Also, with the racism thing, how do Japanese people as a whole, feel about other Asian races, such as Filipinoes, Viets, etc.?

Thanks in advance the answers!

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
FireAza said:
I'm not sure where the Christmas cake tradition comes from, but it's probably the result of shrewd marketing.
I've only heard this second hand, but it makes sense: They have cake for Christmas because it's supposed to be the birthday of Jesus, so naturally you get a birthday cake. Not sure how true it is, but as I said before it makes sense.

FireAza said:
mad825 said:
Never seen any personally, but I have noticed there's a can of hornet spray on a shelf at work. And one of the features the can trumpets is it's 5m range. I'm kinda terrified.
In the urban setting you won't generally have to worry about the giant hornets. That said the Giant Hornets can spit flesh dissolving venom several meters away from their nests to ward off intruders. Still they only inhabit certain kinds of trees, usually those nests only last a few years at most, generally they die off in the winter, with the larvae coming out to repopulate the next spring. At any rate the giant hornets are pretty rare even in forests, if there is a known nest they'll post some pretty obvious warnings about it, provided they didn't exterminate the hornets already.

As for the can that boasts a 5 meter reach? Trust me as an American who has had to deal with the massive(though not giant) yellow jackets of Oregon, 5m is still way too damn close to any hornet/wasp nest you're spraying. Well assuming you're just using a poison spray. Wet hornets and wasps can still fly, even if they're dying from being poisoned, plus when they're dying they're also mad as hell. Which means you get the heck out of dodge quick as you can, otherwise you're gonna get some nasty stings, probably with some poison residue on them. This is why I always used foaming wasp and hornet poisons, because wasps and hornets covered with foam cannot fly, which means you can squish them when they fall out of the nest. Also besides that, they'll be too close to dead by the time the foam clears to fly anyways.

Now for my question, a fairly simple one: With it's failing popularity domestically, but high export value, has saké/nihonshu become hard to find in Japan?

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
FireAza said:
I'm here on the JET program. I definitely recommend it, they get you all setup and it's got the safety and stability that comes with it being a government program. I often only interact with the JTEs (Japanese Teacher of English) due to my lack of decent Japanese speaking ability and the other staff lack of knowledge/confidence with English. I'm sure they would be happy to talk if I could properly hold a conversation!
Yeah, I've tossed ideas around in my head before for things I'd like to experience in my life and teaching through the JET program was one of them, though I don't think I really meet the requirements yet. What I've assumed out of what I've heard is that it requires a bachelor's degree of any college major (which I still have several years to go to acquire, not to mention being the middle of school transferring issues)? I'm not sure how accurate that is, though.

Even then, I'm not even sure I'd be someone who is really cut out for teaching, and I have enough trouble even going out into public places as is at home. Maybe when I get to the point where I'm really able to apply something will have changed, but that would probably require a greater amount of initiative that I don't really see myself having yet.

Still, it's at least interesting to hear about so many experiences with the program. Always a pleasure.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
How is Canada thought of? Being in Vancouver, I see a lot of tourists from the Pacific.

Oh and I wonder if there is a similar fascination with any specific Western culinary item that can compare with the craze for sushi here. Beyond that, I've heard that class segregation is a big part of life there but I've never been able to ask someone who could witness that first hand.

That was about it for me.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
FireAza said:
I'm not sure where the Christmas cake tradition comes from, but it's probably the result of shrewd marketing.
I've only heard this second hand, but it makes sense: They have cake for Christmas because it's supposed to be the birthday of Jesus, so naturally you get a birthday cake. Not sure how true it is, but as I said before it makes sense.
With so few Japanese people being Christian, I doubt the Christmas cake is for Jesus' birthday. I suspect it was similar to KFC, it started out with a marketing campaign with tried to connect it (however tenuously) to this exotic gaijin holiday called "Christmas" was a "Yeah, they totes eat a special cake a Christmas! Buy Christmas cakes!"

FireAza said:
mad825 said:
In the urban setting you won't generally have to worry about the giant hornets. That said the Giant Hornets can spit flesh dissolving venom several meters away from their nests to ward off intruders. Still they only inhabit certain kinds of trees, usually those nests only last a few years at most, generally they die off in the winter, with the larvae coming out to repopulate the next spring. At any rate the giant hornets are pretty rare even in forests, if there is a known nest they'll post some pretty obvious warnings about it, provided they didn't exterminate the hornets already.

As for the can that boasts a 5 meter reach? Trust me as an American who has had to deal with the massive(though not giant) yellow jackets of Oregon, 5m is still way too damn close to any hornet/wasp nest you're spraying. Well assuming you're just using a poison spray. Wet hornets and wasps can still fly, even if they're dying from being poisoned, plus when they're dying they're also mad as hell. Which means you get the heck out of dodge quick as you can, otherwise you're gonna get some nasty stings, probably with some poison residue on them. This is why I always used foaming wasp and hornet poisons, because wasps and hornets covered with foam cannot fly, which means you can squish them when they fall out of the nest. Also besides that, they'll be too close to dead by the time the foam clears to fly anyways.
Eh, I'm from Australia. Come at me, Japan!

Now for my question, a fairly simple one: With it's failing popularity domestically, but high export value, has saké/nihonshu become hard to find in Japan?
Ha ha, no way! Still plenty of places to buy Japanese alcohol, even my local supermarket has a huge selection. Along with your wines and beers too. But yeah, sake and the like are seen as a bit of an old man drink. Not that I let that bother me.

Solaire of Astora said:
FireAza said:
Yeah, I've tossed ideas around in my head before for things I'd like to experience in my life and teaching through the JET program was one of them, though I don't think I really meet the requirements yet. What I've assumed out of what I've heard is that it requires a bachelor's degree of any college major (which I still have several years to go to acquire, not to mention being the middle of school transferring issues)? I'm not sure how accurate that is, though.
Yeah, you need a university degree in something to apply for JET.

Solaire of Astora said:
Even then, I'm not even sure I'd be someone who is really cut out for teaching, and I have enough trouble even going out into public places as is at home. Maybe when I get to the point where I'm really able to apply something will have changed, but that would probably require a greater amount of initiative that I don't really see myself having yet.
I'm certainly not a social butterfly, but I did work in retail for many years, which resulted in me developing a service rep "mask". I basically apply this to teaching, so I can be up at the front of the class speaking loudly with no problems. Hell, even the voice I use is different from my normal voice.

Redlin5 said:
How is Canada thought of? Being in Vancouver, I see a lot of tourists from the Pacific.
Sadly, Canada is in the same state as any other Western nation: it gets overshadowed by America (and England to a small extent). When Japanese people think about foreign countries, America is usually the first to pop into their heads. They do know Canada though, one of the JTEs I work with did an exchange in Canada when he was a student and one of this year's ALTs is from Canada. I'll tell you what, when I ask someone to guess where I'm from, it takes a long time before they guess Australia.

Redlin5 said:
Oh and I wonder if there is a similar fascination with any specific Western culinary item that can compare with the craze for sushi here.
Curry with rice is MAD popular in Japan, it's practically Japan's national dish! However, the curry they eat comes by way of Britain, it's pretty different from Indian curry, so I'm not sure that it counts. Pizza and hamburgers are popular though!

Redlin5 said:
Beyond that, I've heard that class segregation is a big part of life there but I've never been able to ask someone who could witness that first hand.
Hmmm, aside from the homeless, I think everyone is pretty much treated with respect in Japan. Even working in places like 7-11 isn't seen as a something shameful to be looked down on, I had a student who said that's where she would work in the future. I thought she meant during school, but she meant after she's finished school.

Of course, seniority is a big thing in Japan, so you're expected to treat your bosses and your "senpai" with more respect.

Barbas said:
How do you view the French and Parisians in particular?
France is quite a popular tourist destination, to the point it has it's own psychological condition named after it called "Paris Syndrome [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_syndrome]". Beyond that, I can't really say. Though people often try to guess that I'm French before they guess Australia. Must be the thin mustache, beret and sack of baguettes I always carry around.

Timmibal

Nov 8, 2010
Hey fellow Ausfailian, just a quick one for you.

How tolerant are people of white shites mangling the language? Reason I ask is I'm looking at a holiday in Japan and I usually try and steer clear of tourist traps and immerse myself as much as I can in the local culture. This backfired horribly when I tried to do it in France as the locals seemed to take errors in grammar as some kind of mortal insult.

I'd been told that Japan was largely bilingual in the cities, although I've heard that before from people who never leave the resorts. Any truth in this?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
FireAza said:
madwarper said:
Sorry to disappoint you, but the vast majority of vending machines in Japan sell drinks. Plus a few things like disposable umbrellas, batteries and hot food. Wacky things like used panties were more than likely only available in a tiny number of machines for a limited period before someone was arrested.

Ah, but the drinks themselves can be pretty odd! I've had everything from jelly soda (does what it says on the tin, it's soda with chunks of jelly), avocado flavor and corn soup. The machines are also capable of selling both hot and cold drinks, depending on the season, which is pretty cool I think.
I'd say that if the panty thing (Yeah, I heard about this too.) was anywhere at all - maybe still - it would be exclusive to any red-light district, buuut that's not what I'm here to ask about.

So, I heard that cat cafes (as in, to go into a place to eat, drink, and play with cats) were being phased out, if not gone already. That true? Because I personally liked that idea.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
Timmibal said:
Hey fellow Ausfailian, just a quick one for you.

How tolerant are people of white shites mangling the language? Reason I ask is I'm looking at a holiday in Japan and I usually try and steer clear of tourist traps and immerse myself as much as I can in the local culture. This backfired horribly when I tried to do it in France as the locals seemed to take errors in grammar as some kind of mortal insult.

I'd been told that Japan was largely bilingual in the cities, although I've heard that before from people who never leave the resorts. Any truth in this?
The Japanese are VERY tolerant of foreigners making mistakes with their language, they're thrilled just to see you try! The French on the other hand... Well, let's just say they've developed a reputation for this sort of thing :p

Most urban areas are pretty English-friendly. For example, signs on the trains and station have English translations and they do English versions of the announcements when you're riding the train. I wouldn't really say the people themselves are bilingual, but you can certainly get by gestures.

Though, it doesn't hurt to learn a bit of Japanese. The sentences "X wa doko desuka?" and "X aremasuka?" can be adapted for everything from "where's the toilet?" to "Do you have any Amiibo figures?"

FalloutJack said:
So, I heard that cat cafes (as in, to go into a place to eat, drink, and play with cats) were being phased out, if not gone already. That true? Because I personally liked that idea.
Nah, still plenty of animal cafes around! Though for some reason, I don't recall seeing any puppy cafes. THAT I would love to go to!