I lost my faith in humanity today...

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
My friend thinks Justin Bieber is the greatest thing ever, and I said have you listened to Opeth? She said no and I showed her a few songs, and she said it was horrible...she said Bieber was better than Opeth...what is wrong with this world??

Btw: I told her don't look at what you enjoy more, but look at the songwriting and structure and instrumentation, and she still said Bieber was better

Edit: The title of my thread is a joke. I did in no way lose my faith in humanity. Seriously the people replying and getting all pissy about the title of my thread is getting annoying.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Its called taste.

Her's may be bad. But it means nothing.

On a side note, Opeth isn't bad. Not great. Just good.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
That's because death metal is just really abrasive noise.

Subjective subjectivity is subjective.

[sub]Although liking Justin Bieber isn't really excusable...[/sub]

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Congratulations, this may be the most pointless thing I have ever seen someone say they lost their faith in humanity over. And considering how often people say that on this site, that's quite the accomplishment.

Shame on you

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
Congratulations, this may be the most pointless thing I have ever seen someone say they lost their faith in humanity over. And considering how often people say that on this sight, that's quite the accomplishment.

Shame on you
Someone taking the title of my thread seriously? I didn't mean it clearly, I was making a funny.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
Congratulations, this may be the most pointless thing I have ever seen someone say they lost their faith in humanity over. And considering how often people say that on this sight, that's quite the accomplishment.

Shame on you
Your misspelling of "site" has made me lose faith in humanity.

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Kenbo Slice said:
Internet Kraken said:

Shame on you
Someone taking the title of my thread seriously? I didn't mean it clearly, I was making a funny.
Sorry, It's just that I've seen it so often that I usually assume people are being serious.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
Everyone likes different things nothing wrong with that. Sometimes its more important to look at what you hate and find the good so you can see why you love what you do and enjoy it more. If all you do is seek the bad you can never truly find what you enjoy and will only find what falls in your lap.

Try listening to the songs she does like and find what parts she enjoys then you can introduce her to music that is based on the enjoyable elements.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Internet Kraken said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Internet Kraken said:

Shame on you
Sorry, It's just that I've seen it so often that I usually assume people are being serious.
Apology accepted. It's rare someone apologizes on the internet too lol.

Hisshiss

Aug 10, 2010
Despite the fact that Opeth may or may not be generations more talented than the beibster, you can't expect someone who's even willing to LISTEN to justin bieber to enjoy or even tolerate metal, its not a genre that everyone enjoys.

Try a band with some universal talent and appeal, like red hot chilli peppers or some shit. xD.

Edit: That first sentence was just in the spirit of neutrality, Justin beiber is not competitive by any stretch of the imagination. But you get my point, to each his own and all that jazz.

Mozared

Mar 26, 2009
People 'lose their faith in humanity' too easily. Whenever people come up with this line, I Tell them this: imagine living 2000 years ago. Just take a moment for it - imagine what you would most likely be (a farmer), what you would most likely do (farm 15 hours a day) and how much spare time you or your ten-child family would have (none). Now imagine these same things for living 1000 years ago. Now for 500 years ago. Then 300 years ago. Then 100 years ago. Then 50 years ago. Then compare it to now.

Humanity is flawed in many ways, and I too might exclaim "where is your god now?" if somebody told me Justin Bieber is a better artist than... virtually any band, but it's not all that bad. Just avoid the stupids.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
Oh bawls. People are dying in third world countries over hunger and people in first world countries are struggling to lose weight, and you lose faith in humanity because some girl like Generic Pop over Bland Metal. Someone needs to kick some sense into you because your attitude is something I grew out of in the 7th or 8th grade.

Apr 28, 2008
Meh, different people have different tastes. Even if I find those tastes to be godawful I don't think they're worse people because of it.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
People are entitled to their opinions but here is something that might make you feel better:

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
The smarter move would have been to just be like "oh yeah, Justin Bieber is totally the best artist ever. And you are very pretty." One step closer, my friend...

In all seriousness, your friend probably knows very little about music. There are those that can appreciate complexity in music and some who just don't. It would be nice if everyone loved brainy, complex music but it would also make the world a more boring place.

w@rew0lf

Banned User
Jan 11, 2009
Bleh death metal. Why are people so melodramatic these days? With all these people claiming to have "lost their faith in humanity," I'd expect the suicide rate to be much higher.